Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,637 Likes on 2,383 Posts

True... :-)
Old 07-12-21, 04:27 PM
m5rahul
Intermediate

Received 104 Likes on 71 Posts

I bought a 2018 premium couple of weeks back, 42k miles..$38k ( w/new tires from dealer ). Traded in my 2015 RX for $2800 more than what I paid for it in 2017!
The following users liked this post:
Piney1 (07-12-21)
Old 07-18-21, 07:59 AM
sri1602
Driver School Candidate

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Buying advice in the current market

Hey all,

I'm in the market for a gx 460 and im considering a 2010 model for sale with a 185000 miles on it. The asking price is around 16k, which is tempting in the current market. I wanted your opinions on buying the vehicle at the mileage it's carrying atm (It's got a clean title and looks mechanically good) . Would you consider it to be worth it ?
Old 07-18-21, 02:14 PM
MrTorgue
Advanced

Received 338 Likes on 225 Posts

How’s the service history? Is there any rust underneath? $16k is an ok price if everything is in order. GX’s can last forever so don’t worry too much about mileage.
Old 07-19-21, 09:30 AM
bbqsoup
Racer

Received 598 Likes on 424 Posts

$16k is a very good price for a 2010 460 if its conditions checked out. Some 470 were listing for more than that.
You can take the VIN and look it up on drivers.lexus.com to see the histories (if they have been performed at Lexus dealers).

I'm sure that it would sell very quickly if no rust and mechanically sound.
Old 07-19-21, 10:09 AM
Chasin
Pit Crew

Received 73 Likes on 37 Posts

As others have said, seems like a fair price to me, as long as everything checks out.
Old 07-19-21, 04:20 PM
MrTorgue
Advanced

Received 338 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by bbqsoup
$16k is a very good price for a 2010 460 if its conditions checked out. Some 470 were listing for more than that.
You can take the VIN and look it up on drivers.lexus.com to see the histories (if they have been performed at Lexus dealers).

I'm sure that it would sell very quickly if no rust and mechanically sound.
I’ll also recommend Lexus Drivers as well. Lots of very useful information such as when the previous owner(s) declines service. That bit is very useful to determine how often the vehicle was neglected.
Old 07-20-21, 09:15 AM
BradTank
Racer

Received 176 Likes on 121 Posts

Right now is a crazy time to buy a car. If you don't "need" a car right now, my advice is wait the craziness out. I have a friend that just paid almost $50k for an 8 year old F-150.

The GX's are reliable, but 185k miles is still a lot of miles. I've owned 3 Lexus in a row that averaged around 150k miles, including a last gen GX. They have issues when they get that old, even Lexus. Still way better than some other options, but I think people have this perception that because its a Lexus, you just change the oil and nothing ever breaks.

I'd want to see what suspension work has done, it could need a lot of things replaced (shocks, struts, ball joints, tierods, etc) if they haven't been already at 185k miles. If you're not doing the work yourself, it adds up to several thousands of dollars.
The following 3 users liked this post by BradTank:
m5rahul (07-20-21), Vlad6525 (07-23-21), WRD4chano (07-23-21)
Old 07-20-21, 11:08 AM
m5rahul
Intermediate

Received 104 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by BradTank
Right now is a crazy time to buy a car. If you don't "need" a car right now, my advice is wait the craziness out. I have a friend that just paid almost $50k for an 8 year old F-150.

The GX's are reliable, but 185k miles is still a lot of miles. I've owned 3 Lexus in a row that averaged around 150k miles, including a last gen GX. They have issues when they get that old, even Lexus. Still way better than some other options, but I think people have this perception that because its a Lexus, you just change the oil and nothing ever breaks.

I'd want to see what suspension work has done, it could need a lot of things replaced (shocks, struts, ball joints, tierods, etc) if they haven't been already at 185k miles. If you're not doing the work yourself, it adds up to several thousands of dollars.

I concur!
The ONLY reason I traded in my 2015 RX towards the GX was because I had positive equity ( negotiated and got $3200 more than what I owed!! ) on the RX! I was also able to negotiate the price on the GX ( luckily! ) to where it made enough sense to switch! In Texas, you also get a tax break ( I got about $1340 ) if you trade-in and purchase from the same dealer.

If it weren't for that scenario, I would've been driving the RX today!
Old 07-20-21, 05:53 PM
sri1602
Driver School Candidate

The service history is a bit sparse if I'm honest - I could only find 11 service records on Lexus History and the carfax looks obviously suspicious. Carfax states that the vehicle's been in Maryland for 21 days, but like it changed owners in 2017 from a CA owner. I'm leaning towards passing on it based on the lack of any usable service history.
Old 07-20-21, 05:56 PM
sri1602
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by BradTank

Yea, that is the biggest concern for me right now. The carfax seems wrong, and lexus drivers history is quite sparse. Only 11 records, 2 of them about a complimentary car wash. I think I might wait it out and see what comes my way. If the carfax hasn't been well kept, I can never be too sure what other important info is missing on there.
Old 07-21-21, 03:38 PM
BradTank
Racer

Originally Posted by sri1602
Yea, that is the biggest concern for me right now. The carfax seems wrong, and lexus drivers history is quite sparse. Only 11 records, 2 of them about a complimentary car wash. I think I might wait it out and see what comes my way. If the carfax hasn't been well kept, I can never be too sure what other important info is missing on there.

I don't know what your budget is, but unless I've put 185k miles on a car, I wouldn't want to buy a car with 185k miles. I could maybe make an exception if say the owner could show a lot of receipts and work done, but I'd just spend more on a better car.

If that suspension is all original and can't produce receipts for any work done, I have to think it's completely clapped out and you're looking at a few thousand right off the bat. I can point to a multitude of other problems I had on my last gen GX when I had around 120k miles, and that car was well cared for and owned by me since new. I'm personally done with cars near 200k miles, just not worth the headaches for a daily driver. Rather spend a few thousand more on a newer car.

My lesson I've learned in life is pay more for a nicer used car, don't go for the bargain that someone wants to unload.
Old 07-22-21, 09:11 AM
skrypj
Intermediate

Received 127 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by BradTank;[url=tel:11090393
11090393[/url]]Right now is a crazy time to buy a car. If you don't "need" a car right now, my advice is wait the craziness out. I have a friend that just paid almost $50k for an 8 year old F-150.

i saw someone bought a 2014 raptor with 1400 miles around that price recently
Old 07-22-21, 09:19 AM
shmelvin1
Pit Crew

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

IMHO carfax is relatively worthless (unless it's a 1 owner 100% dealer maintained) but even then...I purchased an S600 Mercedes from a "Top Tier, Gold Star" etc etc Mercedes dealer that was supposedly a 1 owner (doctor) who traded it in, The carfax was clean as a whistle. A friend of mine who owns a body shop repeatedly told me the car had been repainted and when I went to sell it the new owner (another doctor) ran a Vin report, and guess what?
The car started it's life as a "Black Limo" in NYC and had indeed been in a fender bender, hence the repaint....Carfax = BS
Old 07-22-21, 02:54 PM
BradTank
Racer

Originally Posted by shmelvin1
IMHO carfax is relatively worthless (unless it's a 1 owner 100% dealer maintained) but even then...I purchased an S600 Mercedes from a "Top Tier, Gold Star" etc etc Mercedes dealer that was supposedly a 1 owner (doctor) who traded it in, The carfax was clean as a whistle. A friend of mine who owns a body shop repeatedly told me the car had been repainted and when I went to sell it the new owner (another doctor) ran a Vin report, and guess what?
The car started it's life as a "Black Limo" in NYC and had indeed been in a fender bender, hence the repaint....Carfax = BS
I agree, CarFax is just one data point. A clean CarFax doesn't mean much, but if a CarFax does come back with accident data though, I'm glad to have the info.
For service and maintenance, I don't think its all that useful of a tool.

Quick Reply: Used Purchase/Shopping Questions & Discussions - CPO / Dealers / Private Party