Used Purchase/Shopping Questions & Discussions - CPO / Dealers / Private Party

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-21, 02:57 PM
BradTank
Racer

Received 176 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by skrypj
i saw someone bought a 2014 raptor with 1400 miles around that price recently
Yea, in this case, it was also a Raptor, but it had way more than 1400 miles, I think it was closer to 40k miles. Same vehicle pre-Covid craziness just a few months ago would have probably gone for high $20k-low $30k range. Not by any means a" like new" truck.

I don't think these prices are going to last when new car inventory stabilizes, pay full sticker on a new car for less than what a used car is going for now.
Old 07-23-21, 05:31 AM
nuclearn8
Instructor

Received 591 Likes on 358 Posts

If I was in the market now for a car I would sell a used car privately and wait for new inventory to be flush again and then negotiate one day well below sticker... (assuming one had this flexibility to wait between transactions, its the best case scenario financially).
believe if you can wait, that's what I would do right now because the car market always depreciates with time, these aren't collector mobiles, they're mass produced, antiquated modes of transportation. Their value with time will always depreciate.
Old 07-25-21, 04:58 PM
MattO2786
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2012 Base vs 2013 Premium

So I recently took advantage (I think) of the used car market and sold my 18 Runner TRD Off-Road for almost $5k more than I bought it for brand new. I replaced it with a 13 RX350 with 57k miles, no accidents, and a long history of dealership maintenance records. After two months, I don’t think that I like the RX. It’s nice having leather seats and a moonroof again. The HID headlights are nice, because the 4Runner lights sucked. Parking sensors are okay, but they chirp at everything. BSM and power mirrors are nice too, and I do really like the electronic steering. My gripes are that it doesn’t ride as nice as I thought it was going to, and there are a few creaks and ticks and rattles that are driving me nuts. I feel like I have tried everything to fix them too. Anyways, I’m just starting to look at the GX. There is one that is a 13 Premium with about 90k miles for just under $30k, and a 12 Base with 100k miles for just under $26k. Is the Premium package worth the extra $4k? Anything to look out for on those? For example, I know the LS430 Mark Levinson systems seem to have issues, and I have heard problems in Lexus and Toyota with the air suspension. Would both models have HID or LED low beams? Also, do those price points sound right. Both are accident free with 2 previous owners.

Last edited by MattO2786; 07-25-21 at 05:03 PM.
Old 07-25-21, 06:36 PM
WRD4chano
Advanced

Received 129 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by MattO2786
So I recently took advantage (I think) of the used car market and sold my 18 Runner TRD Off-Road for almost $5k more than I bought it for brand new. I replaced it with a 13 RX350 with 57k miles, no accidents, and a long history of dealership maintenance records. After two months, I don’t think that I like the RX. It’s nice having leather seats and a moonroof again. The HID headlights are nice, because the 4Runner lights sucked. Parking sensors are okay, but they chirp at everything. BSM and power mirrors are nice too, and I do really like the electronic steering. My gripes are that it doesn’t ride as nice as I thought it was going to, and there are a few creaks and ticks and rattles that are driving me nuts. I feel like I have tried everything to fix them too. Anyways, I’m just starting to look at the GX. There is one that is a 13 Premium with about 90k miles for just under $30k, and a 12 Base with 100k miles for just under $26k. Is the Premium package worth the extra $4k? Anything to look out for on those? For example, I know the LS430 Mark Levinson systems seem to have issues, and I have heard problems in Lexus and Toyota with the air suspension. Would both models have HID or LED low beams? Also, do those price points sound right. Both are accident free with 2 previous owners.
those prices are crazy especially with the mileage. without the current hike they would be 4-5K less, i paid 26K OTD for a '12 premium w/74K mi, in 2019.

get the premium, if its within your budget.

base has halogens (but you can retrofit something newer and brighter), premiums come with HID and AFS (Adaptive Front Lighting System), halogen highbeam.

the air suspension on the gx is near bulletproof, the base doesnt come with the ML system so if you listen to music often, youll be happier with it. (the base system can be upgraded, theres a great thread for that)

just be sure to have it inspected before purchase, check the service history for services, customer complaints, ensure the recalls have been done and take it for a test drive.

from experience, the kdss bushings are gonna be on their last legs at that mileage, check the tie rods and lower control arm bushings. check the coolant reservoir for coolant.

have a glace over here. these trucks are really nice, but buying a dud really sucks.

best of luck.
The following users liked this post:
MattO2786 (07-25-21)
Old 07-25-21, 07:35 PM
MattO2786
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by WRD4chano
those prices are crazy especially with the mileage. without the current hike they would be 4-5K less, i paid 26K OTD for a '12 premium w/74K mi, in 2019.

get the premium, if its within your budget.

base has halogens (but you can retrofit something newer and brighter), premiums come with HID and AFS (Adaptive Front Lighting System), halogen highbeam.

the air suspension on the gx is near bulletproof, the base doesnt come with the ML system so if you listen to music often, youll be happier with it. (the base system can be upgraded, theres a great thread for that)

just be sure to have it inspected before purchase, check the service history for services, customer complaints, ensure the recalls have been done and take it for a test drive.

from experience, the kdss bushings are gonna be on their last legs at that mileage, check the tie rods and lower control arm bushings. check the coolant reservoir for coolant.

have a glace over here. these trucks are really nice, but buying a dud really sucks.

best of luck.
Thanks for the response. I thought the price looked high. I’m just kicking the tires on the idea of it. Might just put up with the little annoyances and wait for a good deal to come along.
Old 07-25-21, 10:05 PM
skrypj
Intermediate

Received 127 Likes on 91 Posts

I agree on the prices being pretty high. 2011 here and bought in in Feb 2020 for $21500 OTD(20500 before tax) with 72k. Mine had full service records from lexus and no accidents.
Old 07-26-21, 08:14 AM
craigrpete
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I’d check what options the ‘12 Base has on it. Mine was loaded with all kinds of options from the factory including the adaptive front headlights.
MattO2786 (07-26-21)
Old 07-26-21, 08:19 AM
skrypj
Intermediate

Originally Posted by craigrpete;[url=tel:11094071
11094071[/url]]I’d check what options the ‘12 Base has on it. Mine was loaded with all kinds of options from the factory including the adaptive front headlights.
this. I think some of the earlier years came better equipped by default.

My 2011 had the headlights too. But no air bags or adjustable shocks as I didn’t want those anyways.

MattO2786 (07-26-21)
Old 07-26-21, 09:42 AM
HuzerGX
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Quite honestly, what people paid even a year ago is largely irrelevant. Today's prices are higher. Just like last summer, I was offered $33k for my 2019 4Runner SR5P. This summer, I received $41,200 from the same dealership. In June, I paid $21k for my 2011 GX460 Premium with 128k on it, full service history, lots of recent work done, especially a lot of the "things to look for when buying a used GX" work. I don't feel like I got a smokin' deal, but I don't feel completely ripped off, either.

But if I do some basic math:

2021 - 4Runner - $41,200
- GX460 - $21,359
- Difference - $19,841

2020 - 4Runner -$33,000
- GX 460 - ?
- Difference - $19,841

That would equate to paying $13,159 for the GX last year, if I could manage to get the same difference in vehicle prices. I'd take that deal. My guess is that last year at this time, $18-19k may have been typical asking prices here in CO. Right now, the least expensive GX460 I can find here with no accident history is a 2011 for $26k with roughly the equivalent milage (it has more, at 135k). Sub 100k mile ones are high 20's low 30s.
MattO2786 (07-26-21)
Old 07-26-21, 10:05 AM
CFAI
Advanced

Received 320 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by MattO2786
1) I have a '13 base but 2010 -2013 base models are more akin to current premium trim and the 2010-2013 prem are equivalent to current lux models. Many of the base models also have comfort packages that include things like semi-aniline leather and park assist, and they all have electric folding third row etc. So unless you want the rear airbags for leveling for heavy towing, or really want the ML stereo, then I wouldn't think l would matter much between them and just evaluate each deal on its own merits.
2) If it were me, I would hang fire and wait until overall new car production ramps up and more specifically the new 2022 GX's have hit the market for a few months. Since there look like there are a few very desirable updates, its not unreasonable to bet that many current owners will trade in. While you wait you can test drive a few of them (2010-2013 base vs premium - bring a CD to compare ML vs base stereo), and 2014+ models to see if you have a preference for when the prices hopefully come down Q1 '22
The following 3 users liked this post by CFAI:
Acrad (07-26-21), HuzerGX (07-26-21), MattO2786 (07-26-21)
Old 07-26-21, 03:32 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,637 Likes on 2,383 Posts

A 10-13 base with Convenience and Comfort Plug package only lacks Mark L, heated Steering wheel, illuminated door sills, and the suspension items.

I might have missed something else but will come to me later. Granted that base can't get the equivalent & rare '14+ Driver Support Package equipment but a simple comparison of base to premium is there.
craigrpete (08-02-21)
Old 07-26-21, 05:21 PM
skrypj
Intermediate

Originally Posted by HuzerGX
Quite honestly, what people paid even a year ago is largely irrelevant. Today's prices are higher. Just like last summer, I was offered $33k for my 2019 4Runner SR5P. This summer, I received $41,200 from the same dealership. In June, I paid $21k for my 2011 GX460 Premium with 128k on it, full service history, lots of recent work done, especially a lot of the "things to look for when buying a used GX" work. I don't feel like I got a smokin' deal, but I don't feel completely ripped off, either.

But if I do some basic math:

2021 - 4Runner - $41,200
- GX460 - $21,359
- Difference - $19,841

2020 - 4Runner -$33,000
- GX 460 - ?
- Difference - $19,841

That would equate to paying $13,159 for the GX last year, if I could manage to get the same difference in vehicle prices. I'd take that deal. My guess is that last year at this time, $18-19k may have been typical asking prices here in CO. Right now, the least expensive GX460 I can find here with no accident history is a 2011 for $26k with roughly the equivalent milage (it has more, at 135k). Sub 100k mile ones are high 20's low 30s.
This is all true, but I don't think its going to be like this forever. Car manufacturers need to sell cars. They can't right now, which is why the used market is so dumb.

Anyone who buys at the inflated prices is gunna be underwater when things come back to normal.
Old 07-26-21, 05:23 PM
clearmysix
Pit Crew

Received 109 Likes on 60 Posts

I wouldn't avoid a 2010-13 Base. They were pretty loaded (without ML sound though) and having the standard suspension is helpful for later if you want to change it out. Most other things you can add if you really wanted them pretty easily.
Old 07-27-21, 11:18 AM
HuzerGX
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by skrypj
This is all true, but I don't think its going to be like this forever. Car manufacturers need to sell cars. They can't right now, which is why the used market is so dumb.

Anyone who buys at the inflated prices is gunna be underwater when things come back to normal.
Agreed there. I don't think the GXs have gone up astronomically, but they've definitely gone up. For me, I was lucky enough that I was able to pay for my GX with the equity I had in the 4Runner, and put some money in the bank, too. Hopefully, they don't go to negative value to put me underwater.
Old 07-28-21, 07:31 AM
MrTorgue
Advanced

Received 338 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by clearmysix
I wouldn't avoid a 2010-13 Base. They were pretty loaded (without ML sound though) and having the standard suspension is helpful for later if you want to change it out. Most other things you can add if you really wanted them pretty easily.
^ This. My 2010 base has power 3rd row factory plus I’m really not missing out on the ML system and not having air bags is nice when I go to upgrade. I’ve got a ton of options I think, I’m not really missing much over a premium.

In August 2020 I paid ~$15k w/134k miles. Was nearly flawless with only mild wear in the usual places; front leather, door handle pockets and rear spoiler. Mechanically it’s brilliant and underneath is so clean you could eat off of it.

Today I could even without my mods sell it for $23-25k easy I think...which I ain’t gonna do. If someone offered me stupid money for it with my mods I’d consider it—briefly. Haha.

Quick Reply: Used Purchase/Shopping Questions & Discussions - CPO / Dealers / Private Party