GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Used Purchase/Shopping Questions & Discussions - CPO / Dealers / Private Party

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-21, 11:09 PM
ROSCOGX470
Instructor

Received 100 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by holycowe
It's about right in today market. I'd ask him to lower the price and tell him you'll have to replace the expensive Nav. system (I wouldn't replace it if everything else working)
Read my thread created couple weeks ago. I scored a fully loaded luxury 2016 for under $30k ($31.5k out the door)
how many miles? Thats a fantastic price.
Old 09-11-21, 06:57 AM
nzvlnr
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ROSCOGX470
55k, we bought it. I have all the dealer service records.
Takata air bags replaced
transfer case resealed - known issue
rear brakes done
tires replaced about 8 k miles ago and battery
Going to have to break out the polisher and rubbing compound to get the scratches out....Black shows everything!!!
The following users liked this post:
VentoGT (09-11-21)
Old 09-11-21, 03:18 PM
holycowe
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ROSCOGX470
it’s 58k miles. Yeah, about $10k under market. Really happy
Old 09-20-21, 06:09 PM
craghack
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default used GX 460 - common battery / electrical issues?

Hey,

I am new to the forum and currently have been shopping around for a used GX460, mostly looking at the years between '11 and '13. During the last couple of weeks, I picked three that looked good based on photos and CarFax, but when checked their Lexus service history, I found it pretty strange that while they had different mileage (~115k, ~55k, ~95k), their last owners recently all experienced some sort of battery / charging issues when the car could not be started, had to jumpstart, etc, and Lexus technicians didn't really find anything and just usually replaced the battery, usually more than once. In case of one of them the battery had been replaced and then it happened again (console didn't light up at all, car could only be started after several additional attempts), and service found everything in order (voltage levels of battery and alternator were OK, no parasitic drain, etc). Based on these service histories it seems to me that all three owners sort of lost their faith after multiple incidents and soon after the last one just sold the vehicle. I can provide actual VINs / service record entries, but just wanted to ask the community first whether this might be a somewhat typical, known issue at this age, as it's hard to believe it's just a coincidence. Are you aware of any general or well known issues that might result in this? I saw Lexus recently added a note on "How to keep your battery in shape" in the main page at drivers.lexus.com, in which they simply say the battery can die because these days (covid, etc) users don't drive the vehicles enough, but I am not sure this is the only reason. I really wanted to own a GX, but now am a little bit scared and disappointed, as I definitely don't want to frequently get stranded and/or mess with electrical issues that even the dealer can't seem to be able to fix easily.

Many thanks for your comments / advice.
Old 09-20-21, 09:04 PM
ROSCOGX470
Instructor

Received 100 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by craghack
Hey,

I am new to the forum and currently have been shopping around for a used GX460, mostly looking at the years between '11 and '13. During the last couple of weeks, I picked three that looked good based on photos and CarFax, but when checked their Lexus service history, I found it pretty strange that while they had different mileage (~115k, ~55k, ~95k), their last owners recently all experienced some sort of battery / charging issues when the car could not be started, had to jumpstart, etc, and Lexus technicians didn't really find anything and just usually replaced the battery, usually more than once. In case of one of them the battery had been replaced and then it happened again (console didn't light up at all, car could only be started after several additional attempts), and service found everything in order (voltage levels of battery and alternator were OK, no parasitic drain, etc). Based on these service histories it seems to me that all three owners sort of lost their faith after multiple incidents and soon after the last one just sold the vehicle. I can provide actual VINs / service record entries, but just wanted to ask the community first whether this might be a somewhat typical, known issue at this age, as it's hard to believe it's just a coincidence. Are you aware of any general or well known issues that might result in this? I saw Lexus recently added a note on "How to keep your battery in shape" in the main page at drivers.lexus.com, in which they simply say the battery can die because these days (covid, etc) users don't drive the vehicles enough, but I am not sure this is the only reason. I really wanted to own a GX, but now am a little bit scared and disappointed, as I definitely don't want to frequently get stranded and/or mess with electrical issues that even the dealer can't seem to be able to fix easily.

Many thanks for your comments / advice.
I have owned a 04 Gx470 and now 11 Gx460 and never had an issue other than every 5 years needing a battery. These cars don’t have many problem areas thats why they are considered the best for reliability. I would find the GX that best fits you and your budget and have the charging system checked out.
The following users liked this post:
craghack (12-16-21)
Old 09-21-21, 07:31 AM
ASE
Pole Position

Received 1,027 Likes on 685 Posts

No matter the vehicle ... simple chemistry ... lead-acid batteries last about 5-years ... potentially less if the battery sits for any period of time, or endures extreme weather conditions. The GX does not have any inherent charging / battery issues.
Old 09-21-21, 03:20 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,637 Likes on 2,383 Posts

I'm not aware of any common electrical issues either.

A clogged sunroof drain can cause all kinds of havoc but keep those clear and all should be fine. A bad windshield seal on a replacement doesn't help matters either

Old 09-23-21, 08:15 PM
THE350
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default can anyone explain to me this

im about to purchase a car carfax is clean but when i added the vin to lexus drivers site
it shows me right rear fender repair does anyone know if thats an accident or the damage happened in the dealership
im a little confused thank you.

Old 09-24-21, 04:49 AM
xychromo
Intermediate

Received 195 Likes on 113 Posts

Maybe the damage was from owner backing into something and not involving another car? Sounds minor
Old 09-24-21, 07:24 AM
ASE
Pole Position

Received 1,027 Likes on 685 Posts

Description ... Right Rear Fender ... meaning that it was not the bumper, so metal was involved which means paint ... so check the quality of the paintwork beyond the quarter panel repair. No elaboration provided, so you have no idea as to the significance of the damage ... could have been just a scrape.
Old 09-24-21, 08:26 AM
GXLUX
Driver

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

Correct me if I'm wrong here - Carfax just looks for insurance claims and Vin #s and reports the information it gets.
If you pay out of pocket for a small fender bender, there is no report in Carfax.
Old 09-24-21, 11:06 AM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 849 Likes on 642 Posts

A ladder fell against my Dad's car and it was repaired for cash. No CarFax report.
Old 09-30-21, 08:45 AM
CFAI
Advanced

Received 320 Likes on 217 Posts
Default Sloppy Dealership Offers

Too old and too many miles to be certified. Also a Base, not premium (a '10-'13 premium is 14+ Luxury). I understand making small mistakes, but selling Lexus is their one main job - seems like they should be able to get this right.

Old 09-30-21, 09:01 AM
GXLUX
Driver

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

I bet if you contact them you'll find "Oh this is certified by our dealership, not Lexus" or some other BS.
Old 10-01-21, 06:46 AM
evident
Racer

Received 108 Likes on 87 Posts
Default About to purchase a 2011 GX460 private party, any advice?

Looking to get a family vehicle for a family of 4 with the occasional in law riding in the third row to replace our beloved 07 RX.

Car has 88000 miles, has had 3 owners, i would be the 4th. it has HID headlights, parking sensors, side folding mirrors, nav, no air suspension Each owner has been in an accident according to carfax, the second one being "Moderate damage, had to be towed, airbags did not deploy". The current owner said his car was side swiped and had to get his front bumper, , headlight and quarter panel replaced. When i inspected it, they all looked like OEM lexus parts. Tires and brakes are worn but i can fix those.

When i drove it, the car drove very well, and it's clean inside. I plan on taking it to a local toyota dealership to do a PPI. I told them i want them to look for rust and any frame damage from the accidents. Is there anything else i should look for in this car before making an offer? I know used cars are going fast. This guy seems very busy and i'm the first person to look at it.

Thanks!

Quick Reply: Used Purchase/Shopping Questions & Discussions - CPO / Dealers / Private Party