GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Used Purchase/Shopping Questions & Discussions - CPO / Dealers / Private Party

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-22 | 08:54 AM
Seanzky
Intermediate

My suggestion would be to browse around TrueCar and see the going prices for that kind of mileage, model year, etc. I don't really know the prices anymore, especially for used ones, since I'm no longer in shopping mode. My friend bought his 2017 with captain's chair and 40k miles for $30k only, but this was last year.

Old 03-02-22 | 09:15 AM
schwein
Pit Crew

Keep in mind the 2018's wont have the remote start option available from your phone after 3G goes away... Maybe that's not a big deal, but I know my wife would have been *****ing if that feature went away on ours!!
Old 03-02-22 | 09:19 AM
ASE
Pole Position

Use NADA for valuations in your zip code area. Prices are highly local and all over the map given the crazy economic landscape.
Old 03-25-22 | 12:30 PM
Peacebay
Advanced

Default GX460 base trim worth it?

Hello!

Long time LS400 and LS430 owner... but recently my trusty Ford Ranger died and I'm looking at consolidating truck duties and daily duties to one vehicle and I'm dead set on a 2016+ GX460...

Anyway. I found a beautiful 2018 460 with 30k miles, certified pre-owned, Nebula gray with sepia interior (the combo I want), but it's the base model. I've already ruled out the luxury model because of the rear air. So my question is how much better is the premium model (mainly asking about leather quality and other differences). edit: and also the base vs. ML sound system (the ML sucks in the 430s anyway)

Asking price is $40k which is very fair in this market for a mint low mileage, 1 owner GX.. Thanks in advance!!

Last edited by Peacebay; 03-25-22 at 12:33 PM.
Old 03-25-22 | 02:28 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

One limitation of a base after 2016 was you could no longer option it with 3 zone HVAC.

If no plans to carry rear passengers perhaps a moot point.
Old 04-18-22 | 02:31 PM
rracer99
Driver School Candidate

Default Lexus GX 2020 Premium without IPA. Are parking sensors still included?

Hi all.

I'm looking at a GX 2020 Premium without Intuitive Park Assist (IPA). Without this, does the instrumentation panel still show an image of the car with color lines indicating the closeness of objects (green, yellow, red)? This is the feature that can catch a pedestrian zooming behind you for example.

My Highlander 2018 Limited has "parking sensors" which does this. It's helpful in crowded parking lots, catching the occasional pedestrian or fast moving car coming out of blind spots. I would be surprised if a Premium Lexus GX up short of 2022 didn't have it.

I've seen the Youtube videos for IPA in the GX, and it's doing a similar thing next to the backup camera. I'm hoping without IPA, you still have something similar in the instrumentation panel. I found a few good used options without IPA...

Thank you!
Old 04-21-22 | 12:24 PM
29er
Pit Crew

Question Thoughts on buying a used GX460 with recent head gasket replacement.

I'm looking at buying a used 2014 GX460 with 152,000 miles on it. It's been serviced every 5,000 miles by LEXUS and has had the following replaced:
  • Head gasket: 2021
  • Front and rear pads and rotors: 2020
  • Radiator: 2020
  • Idler pulley: 2020
  • Water pump: 2019
The car is super clean, looks, and drives perfectly. What are yall's thoughts on that head gasket situation? It's the only thing that really sketches me out.
Thanks for your input.
Old 04-21-22 | 02:12 PM
ASE
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 29er
I'm looking at buying a used 2014 GX460 with 152,000 miles on it. It's been serviced every 5,000 miles by LEXUS and has had the following replaced:
  • Head gasket: 2021
  • Front and rear pads and rotors: 2020
  • Radiator: 2020
  • Idler pulley: 2020
  • Water pump: 2019
The car is super clean, looks, and drives perfectly. What are yall's thoughts on that head gasket situation? It's the only thing that really sketches me out.
Thanks for your input.
How many miles since head gasket replacement ? ... and only on one side ? The dealer that performed the repair should honor any issues, but for how long ? ... and is it transferable ? You should also ask if the head gasket was replaced due to overheating.

Last edited by ASE; 04-21-22 at 02:15 PM.
Old 04-21-22 | 05:28 PM
MrTorgue
Instructor

Originally Posted by ASE
How many miles since head gasket replacement ? ... and only on one side ? The dealer that performed the repair should honor any issues, but for how long ? ... and is it transferable ? You should also ask if the head gasket was replaced due to overheating.
^ All of this. I’d be ok with it as long as it was a full replacement and is warrantied by the dealer.
The following users liked this post:
ASE (04-22-22)
Old 04-21-22 | 05:52 PM
29er
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by ASE
How many miles since head gasket replacement ? ... and only on one side? The dealer that performed the repair should honor any issues, but for how long ? ... and is it transferable? You should also ask if the head gasket was replaced due to overheating.
Good question. I'll call tomorrow morning and ask about the repair warranty.
I do know it was done in April of last year. The owner drove it for another 8 months/10,000 miles with no issues and then sold it back to LEXUS. LEXUS then sold it at auction, I'm assuming because of the high mileage.
I test drove it and checked the codes using a scanner, everything looks great.
Old 04-21-22 | 06:38 PM
ASE
Pole Position

The fact that multiple cooling system components were replaced prior to the head gasket suggests that overheating may have caused / contributed to the head gasket failure. If they only replaced one head gasket ... that may be cause for concern if the other did not fail but was compromised. Beyond that, overheating if extreme can cause other impending (future) issues. So unless you can gain a better understanding of the history, my advice ... why go there and assume unknown risk.

Last edited by ASE; 04-21-22 at 06:42 PM.
Old 04-21-22 | 06:53 PM
29er
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by ASE
The fact that multiple cooling system components were replaced prior to the head gasket suggests that overheating may have caused / contributed to the head gasket failure. If they only replaced one head gasket ... that may be cause for concern if the other did not fail but was compromised. Beyond that, overheating if extreme can cause other impending (future) issues. So unless you can gain a better understanding of the history, my advice ... why go there and assume unknown risk.
makes sense

i do know they replaced the water pump and radiator a few years prior. Makes me think that must have been the case.

They did replace both bank head gaskets along with all seals etc while doing the repair.

it was done by Lexus which makes me more satisfied with the repair, but I’m still suspicious.
Old 04-22-22 | 07:48 AM
ROSCOGX470
Instructor

Radiator and water pump replacements are common and wouldn’t worry me at all, I did my 2011 at 100k. The one side head gasket replacement I guess if paying out of pocket makes sense and could save some money assuming like others have mentioned that only one side failed. Who is the seller? Private party? I would think an extended warranty wouldn’t be available for over 150k miles.
Old 04-22-22 | 09:21 AM
29er
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by ROSCOGX470
Radiator and water pump replacements are common and wouldn’t worry me at all, I did my 2011 at 100k. The one side head gasket replacement I guess if paying out of pocket makes sense and could save some money assuming like others have mentioned that only one side failed. Who is the seller? Private party? I would think an extended warranty wouldn’t be available for over 150k miles.
Regarding the head gasket, both sides were replaced. The car was sold to the dealership, then the dealership sold it at auction, another small dealership bought it and that's who I'm talking with now.
Old 04-22-22 | 09:22 AM
ASE
Pole Position

Asking questions and getting answers to your satisfaction is free ... so do not make any assumptions. While there are anomolies, head gaskets typically fail for a reason. Also, error codes can be and are typically cleared ... so a scan may not yield any insight.

You should be able to see the detailed repair ticket. When a head gasket fails ... it may result in loss of compression ... but sometimes results in coolant getting into the oil resulting in a milky mixture that compromises lubrication. If the latter occured, I would pass given the previous owner may have driven some distance before realizing there was an issue ... potentially compromising engine longevity.

Last edited by ASE; 04-22-22 at 09:29 AM.

Quick Reply: Used Purchase/Shopping Questions & Discussions - CPO / Dealers / Private Party