GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Used Purchase/Shopping Questions & Discussions - CPO / Dealers / Private Party

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-22, 09:26 AM
29er
Pit Crew

Received 37 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by ASE
Asking questions and getting answers to your satisfaction is free ... so do not make any assumptions. While there are anomolies, head gaskets typically fail for a reason. Also, error codes can be and are typically cleared ... so a scan may not yield any insight.
Is there a way to find out if the error codes have been cleared?
Old 04-22-22, 09:29 AM
29er
Pit Crew

By the way, I forgot to mention. Cylinders 2-4-6 were misfiring; they failed the compression test. That's what prompted the fix.
They then replaced both head gaskets on both banks cylinders.
Old 04-22-22, 10:01 AM
29er
Pit Crew

Just spoke with the dealership, the original owner traded the car in on a new GX. The dealership then decided to sell the car at auction due to the mileage, no other reason.
Old 04-22-22, 10:29 AM
IanB2
Pole Position

Received 525 Likes on 437 Posts

The fact that the radiator and the water pump were replaced separately concerns me. Makes me agree this vehicle likely suffered ongoing overheating issues before the head gasket replacement was done. I'd swing by the Lexus dealer and see if they'd print out the service history for you, should provide the narrative you seem to be missing as to why things were replaced.
Old 04-22-22, 10:51 AM
29er
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by IanB2
The fact that the radiator and the water pump were replaced separately concerns me. Makes me agree this vehicle likely suffered ongoing overheating issues before the head gasket replacement was done. I'd swing by the Lexus dealer and see if they'd print out the service history for you, should provide the narrative you seem to be missing as to why things were replaced.
I have the complete service history, the guy serviced it like clockwork every 5,000 miles at LEXUS.
At 120,000 he replaced the water pump.
The radiator leaked at 130,000 miles so he had it and all the hoses replaced.
Then at 140,000 he had misfires on 2-4-6 and found a coolant leak with the head gasket. The head gasket was replaced on both sides.
He then traded the car in at 152,000 miles for a brand new GX.

In my opinion, I think the water pump wasn't working right and it overheated somewhat causing the radiator to leak, then the head gasket to go.
Since all of these things have been changed, it should be good to go for another 120,000 miles, right?
Old 04-22-22, 02:02 PM
ASE
Pole Position

Received 1,059 Likes on 705 Posts

Not to be paranoid ... but depends on the extent of the overheating. An aluminum head could have developed a hairline crack as could the aluminum block (which is signicantly more forgiving) ... undetectable until it potentially becomes an issue with heat cycles.

The fact that all 3 cylinders (2-4-6) on the one side of the engine lost compression argues that severe overheating occured ... so I would be concerned about warping of the cylinder head and block (head gasket) sealing surfaces which would present a greater challenge for the new head gasket to maintain a seal over time. Personally I would pass on this vehicle.

Last edited by ASE; 04-23-22 at 06:47 AM.
The following users liked this post:
IanB2 (04-23-22)
Old 04-24-22, 06:58 PM
ROSCOGX470
Instructor

Received 101 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by ASE
Not to be paranoid ... but depends on the extent of the overheating. An aluminum head could have developed a hairline crack as could the aluminum block (which is signicantly more forgiving) ... undetectable until it potentially becomes an issue with heat cycles.

The fact that all 3 cylinders (2-4-6) on the one side of the engine lost compression argues that severe overheating occured ... so I would be concerned about warping of the cylinder head and block (head gasket) sealing surfaces which would present a greater challenge for the new head gasket to maintain a seal over time. Personally I would pass on this vehicle.
+1 There is too many questions regarding this GX. I’d pass, there are others out there.
The following 2 users liked this post by ROSCOGX470:
2chains (04-25-22), Piney1 (04-24-22)
Old 04-25-22, 09:14 AM
29er
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by ASE

Yep, I think you're right. The fact that the entire bank was misfiring, that can't be a good sign for the engine block.
I decided not to buy the GX.

Thanks for everyone's input.
The following 2 users liked this post by 29er:
IanB2 (04-26-22), ROSCOGX470 (04-25-22)
Old 04-26-22, 08:52 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

I would pass on any kind of work done to the engine, transmission and body.
Piney1 (04-28-22)
Old 05-29-22, 01:27 PM
nyctfl
Driver School Candidate

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

New guy here. Just bought a 2012 GX 460 Premium. 99,939 miles on the clock.
  • Titanium pearl/SE White
  • Preferred package
  • Mark Levinson sound
  • Tow package
  • Park assist
Started looking a couple of weeks ago. Found it at the local Penske Porsche dealer. It so happens that the GM there is one of my cigar buddies. I asked if he knew anything about it. He said, "yeah, it was my wife's car." Pulled up the VIN on the Lexus site and all services were performed at local Lexus dealers every 5k miles.

Purchase price was $25,400, which is at the bottom of dealer retail range per Kelley Blue Book. She's tighter than a Victorian-era bride on her wedding night. No squeaks or rattles. Bone stock, and drives live it's new.

Came from an Infiniti 2021 Q50S Red Sport so the experience of a ladder frame, off road capable SUV is completely new to me. My other vehicle is a 2017 Kawasaki ZX-14R, so I have that if I still need to be at the grocery store with haste.

I'm in Arizona so the plan is to make some mods to facilitate off roading, i.e. 2.5" lift, more aggressive tires, delete running boards and get rock sliders, likely change out the bumpers. Excited to see where the GX takes me.
Piney1 (05-31-22)
Old 05-29-22, 01:47 PM
Romanova
Racer

Received 751 Likes on 531 Posts

Originally Posted by nyctfl
  • Preferred package
  • Mark Levinson sound
  • Tow package
  • Park assist
Started looking a couple of weeks ago. Found it at the local Penske Porsche dealer. It so happens that the GM there is one of my cigar buddies. I asked if he knew anything about it. He said, "yeah, it was my wife's car." Pulled up the VIN on the Lexus site and all services were performed at local Lexus dealers every 5k miles.

Purchase price was $25,400, which is at the bottom of dealer retail range per Kelley Blue Book. She's tighter than a Victorian-era bride on her wedding night. No squeaks or rattles. Bone stock, and drives live it's new.

Came from an Infiniti 2021 Q50S Red Sport so the experience of a ladder frame, off road capable SUV is completely new to me. My other vehicle is a 2017 Kawasaki ZX-14R, so I have that if I still need to be at the grocery store with haste.

I'm in Arizona so the plan is to make some mods to facilitate off roading, i.e. 2.5" lift, more aggressive tires, delete running boards and get rock sliders, likely change out the bumpers. Excited to see where the GX takes me.
Nice job and welcome aboard. I got my 2012 Premium back in 2017 with 103k on it. Now it's at 136k and it still drives like new, no squeaks or rattles at all.

Check your records for service and see if the drivetrain fluids have been done and you should consider doing a drain&fill on the transmission. Know that with the age and mileage, you should be prepared for a radiator replacement, especially in that climate. If you do the radiator, it's a great time for new hoses and clamps while you're in there.

Make sure you post some pictures when you get the chance!
Old 05-29-22, 01:55 PM
nyctfl
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the welcome, and for the tips! Glad to hear you're enjoying your GX. The quality of construction of these vehicles is amazing.

I did a little lurking before my purchase on this forum, and also went down the YouTube rabbit hole on the GX 460, overlanding, etc. Fluids were replaced recently but I will definitely keep an eye on the radiator. Will post pics as soon as possible.
Old 06-02-22, 06:17 PM
nyctfl
Driver School Candidate

Pics of my 2012 GX460 Premium. Tree on passenger side for scale.

The following 2 users liked this post by nyctfl:
Piney1 (06-02-22), Romanova (06-03-22)
Old 06-02-22, 08:31 PM
JonGX
Intermediate

Received 70 Likes on 57 Posts

Looks really nice! Welcome!
nyctfl (06-02-22)
Old 06-03-22, 10:34 AM
CFAI
Instructor

Received 329 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by nyctfl
  • Preferred package
  • Mark Levinson sound
  • Tow package
  • Park assist

Telling that the Porsche GM had a GX rather than a Cayenne
nyctfl (06-03-22)

Quick Reply: Used Purchase/Shopping Questions & Discussions - CPO / Dealers / Private Party