Used Purchase/Shopping Questions & Discussions - CPO / Dealers / Private Party

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-23, 08:37 PM
mike202
Pit Crew

Received 101 Likes on 70 Posts

but 5 owners
IMO, that is a red flag.

My personal preference is to seek out a one-owner vehicle. And I avoid dealers when used car shopping.
The following users liked this post:
JeffreyJS (05-03-23)
Old 05-03-23, 08:25 AM
JeffreyJS
7th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm definitely skeptical of that. Also, I'm not entirely sure I care for the adjustable suspension, but I would really like a heated steering wheel
Old 05-04-23, 02:07 PM
JeffreyJS
7th Gear

Default Does anyone regret going with a Premium or Luxury and why?

I've located several GX's in my area. I'm interested in other's experiences. All 3 are 2019, two of which are Luxury and one is the Premium package. The price is pretty close on all of them. Does anyone regret choosing one over the other, and if so, why?

I'm currently driving a 4Runner Limited, and these all seem like a fantastic upgrade.

Thanks!
Old 05-04-23, 08:42 PM
blackangus
Pit Crew

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

Found the following link that lets you compare the 2019 GX trim levels, with Luxury being the one with the most included.

https://www.lexusofnaples.com/research-gx-trims-2/

When I was looking for a 460, I held out for a Luxury because I wanted many of the additional features. In particular, I think the adaptive variable suspension and/or air suspension gives it a much smoother or plusher ride. Of course, I have yet to ever use the headlight washers or the power folding third row seats. As soon as I bought it, I power folded the third row seat all the way down and let it that way.
Old 05-04-23, 08:48 PM
JeffreyJS
7th Gear

Thanks for the link! I'm really leaning toward the Luxury as I plan to hold this for quite awhile.
I'm already looking for solutions to do a third row delete in favor of a lower deck and better cargo capacity
Old 05-07-23, 10:48 AM
dchan865
Pit Crew

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Is this a good deal for a CPO?

Hey guys, local dealer recently offer me a 23 GX 460 gray color for 59K, MSRP new was 65K. Got the premium+Sports package. It only has about 700mi on it now. Yes you heard it right.
It was originally a service loaner that they pulled out early for a customer. When the customer wanted to buy it, they wanted more than the dealer will give for their 2021 Expedition trade in so deal did not go thru.
Its now a CPO car. The color is not my 1st choice but has many things I like.
First time heard of a service loaner given to a customer to drive the car before they even agreed to sell the car. Fishy??
Is the price good?
Thanks guys!
Old 05-07-23, 12:14 PM
hzhao
Racer

Received 982 Likes on 568 Posts

When dealer decided to sell a service loaner, it will be an either used or CPO regardless if there has been someone interested or not. Since the vehicle has been titled to someone before. In this case the previous owner will be leased to dealer. So, the 700 miles could will be from being as the service loaner.

To me the discounts on the price seems smaller, considering you are buying a “used” not new.

Just IMHO.
Old 05-07-23, 12:53 PM
CFAI
Advanced

Received 320 Likes on 217 Posts

I think it depends. Were you planning on buying new, and now you are considering if this might be a good substitute for new? If so, do you you plan on keeping for just a few years then trade it in? Also since you might also be able to get some discount from MSRP on a new GX maybe the true discount is less than that $6k. Does that $6k include the destination, if not that is more like $7,500 discount after destination and extra tax. Anyway, maybe if you plan on trading in after just a few years that isn't such a great savings as you will be selling a two ower car vs a single owner.
On the other hand to you plan to keep until the wheels fall off? If so, then maybe a good argument could be made that buying a 'used' '23 with only 700 miles on it, that isn't your preferred color, is offset by the price discount (which in part will include not paying destination and tax on a lower base amount) but also that you will be getting 2 additional years of warranty on top of the remainder of the new warranty - which in your case is basically the entire new warranty. In addition, you also get optionality, because it is CPO and not new, you could, if you wanted, pay for up to 5 more years extension of the CPO warranty on top of the base CPO 2 year coverage. That would give you a total of 7 years of UNLIMITED mile warranty AFTER the new warranty expires. As this is the last year (likely) of this gen GX, that would mean for up to 12 years after (could be more like 10 to 11 years out if you drive a bunch under the New warranty portion) the retirement of this GX model gen. That means it will be Lexus corp's responsibility to source and install any and all OEM parts covered (which is most non wearable items) if any fail. Integrated Head unit glitch in 2033? Lexus/Toyota's problem. Strange bad luck engine failure in 2034? That ain't your job to find an engine from dwindling parts supplies - that is Lexus/Toyota's job.
Lets say the cost for the 5 year extension is exactly what you would save by not buying new (and in fact it will prob be less). That would mean for the same money you could get a New GX (prob will have better resell as single owner vehicle and you get the color you want and will have about 700 miles less on odometer) or get the CPO but with 7 extra years of unlimited mile warranty coverage plus 2 years scheduled maintenance (basically 2 free oil changes and 4 tire rotations).
I don't know what is better - it will be up to you and what you value. Also, you could spend a lot less and get a 6 year old with around 50k miles CPO GX - but that will be a totally different comparison.
2eXceL (05-26-24)
Old 05-07-23, 01:42 PM
dchan865
Pit Crew

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts

Appreciate the insight guys. I am planning to keep the rig for long time15 years or so. Looks like the dealer guy is playing game with me. After he emailed me the OTD price, the price of the rig was not the same as he originally quoted me. He told me he got it mixed it with a different car and made a mistake. He said he'd talk to his mgr and see what could be done(I heard that before in previous car buying exp. at local dealership, lol)
Oh well, back to the drawing board.
The following 2 users liked this post by dchan865:
2013lx570 (05-07-23), 2eXceL (05-26-24)
Old 05-08-23, 07:27 AM
Binaryman
7th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

[QUOTE=dchan865;11501956]Appreciate the insight guys. I am planning to keep the rig for long time15 years or so. Looks like the dealer guy is playing game with me. After he emailed me the OTD price, the price of the rig was not the same as he originally quoted me. He told me he got it mixed it with a different car and made a mistake. He said he'd talk to his mgr and see what could be done(I heard that before in previous car buying exp. at local dealership, lol)
Oh well, back to the drawing board.[/QU

Since you'll be the second owner, 59K OTD would be a good deal on the GX. Else, I would pass.
Old 05-08-23, 06:44 PM
FastTurtle
Intermediate

Received 97 Likes on 75 Posts

For that price, go with a new one. It will always be a secondhand GX.
Old 05-08-23, 07:29 PM
blackangus
Pit Crew

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

I like CFAI's thought process. If you're interested, I would press the "I made a mistake" issue. If an offer was made in writing to sell the vehicle to you at a stated price, the only mistake is them trying to back out of the offer. One contrary thought thought: keep in mind the adage, "No one washes a rental car." But, it is only 700 miles and it would have the bumper to bumper warranty, so probably OK.
CFAI (05-08-23)
Old 05-08-23, 07:33 PM
CFAI
Advanced

Received 320 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by blackangus
I like CFAI's thought process. If you're interested, I would press the "I made a mistake" issue. If an offer was made in writing to sell the vehicle to you at a stated price, the only mistake is them trying to back out of the offer. One contrary thought thought: keep in mind the adage, "No one washes a rental car." But, it is only 700 miles and it would have the bumper to bumper warranty, so probably OK.
Eh, back in 2013 I bought a 6 YO CPO IS250 with over 50k on it - its a decade later at year 16 and it is still my DD.
Old 05-11-23, 11:08 AM
sa1126
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What year did the media console get upgraded?

I wanted to confirm this before modifying my search for a GX.

Is it true that the media console in the 2014 was the first year to receive the more standard toyota looking media console, or was it 2013? I believe 202x's also received an upgrade.
Old 05-11-23, 12:07 PM
woodleathr
Rookie

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

GX isn't worth buying unless you get the 2022 or 2023 model year. The 2022 is the year they dropped in the minimally acceptable media console for a modern luxury vehicle.
2eXceL (05-26-24)

Quick Reply: Used Purchase/Shopping Questions & Discussions - CPO / Dealers / Private Party