GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Used Purchase/Shopping Questions & Discussions - CPO / Dealers / Private Party

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-18, 05:19 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 871 Likes on 604 Posts

Originally Posted by Karachi
LOL. Term "cash" turns them off. This is what I have noticed. They prefer buyers to finance through their in-house lender and pay interest.
Originally Posted by tuandino
that is so true, dealers nowaday prefer you to finance rather than paying with cash. From my experience, I get better deal if I were to tell them that I will finance the car rather than paying cash
I didn’t think of this when I payed cash. The dealer would not come down on price. Good tip.
The following users liked this post:
GB2011GX (01-17-18)
Old 01-15-18, 08:15 AM
Karachi
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tecman
I didn’t think of this when I payed cash. The dealer would not come down on price. Good tip.
I have noticed the same attitude when I tried to finance vehicles at 0% promotional rate.
Old 01-17-18, 06:48 AM
GB2011GX
Pole Position

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

What matters is the TYPE of dealer. If you're looking at a vehicle over 4 yrs old, and you're NOT at a Toy or Lex dealership, you can get some wiggle room with cash.
I brought my own financing (%2.9 at my Credit Union) and they couldn't touch it with their financing avenues.

We talked price and I asked them about their financing options available.
He came down a little more when I said, "Give me our previous negotiated price less $400 if I pay CASH tomorrow?"
Karachi (01-17-18)
Old 01-17-18, 07:00 AM
clarence88
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

i just finished a deal and decided to stick with my CU. 2.44%. Once you get involved with their financing, I feel like they can start playing with the numbers. With the CU, no hidden charges, fees, worries about paying off early without fee, etc.

Paying by check keeps it simple IMO
The following 2 users liked this post by clarence88:
GB2011GX (01-17-18), Karachi (01-17-18)
Old 01-17-18, 08:32 AM
bbqsoup
Racer

Received 599 Likes on 425 Posts

Even if you have cash to pay off all or a large portoon of it, go for their finance and make sure there’s no penalty in paying off early. Then get the best price you can negotiate and pay if off once you got the first bill
Karachi (01-17-18)
Old 01-17-18, 12:29 PM
Karachi
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bbqsoup
Even if you have cash to pay off all or a large portoon of it, go for their finance and make sure there’s no penalty in paying off early. Then get the best price you can negotiate and pay if off once you got the first bill
I think that is the way to go. Thank you.
Old 01-17-18, 01:28 PM
GB2011GX
Pole Position

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Question... What's a portoon? Sounds like an outrigger for a porch!

jk- I'm just in a mood to have some fun since the workday has been hectic. {I know, I'm gonna catch heck next time I have a typo}
Old 01-17-18, 02:35 PM
bbqsoup
Racer

Originally Posted by GB2011GX
Question... What's a portoon? Sounds like an outrigger for a porch!

jk- I'm just in a mood to have some fun since the workday has been hectic. {I know, I'm gonna catch heck next time I have a typo}
Lol...portoon aka cash that has been stashed away under mattress saving for that one special occasion. 😁
GB2011GX (01-18-18)
Old 03-01-18, 09:19 PM
CODirk
Driver School Candidate

Default Shopping for a used GX

In the market for a used GX. Will be crossing over from the Jeep lifestyle. Last 2 vehicles have been lifted and modified jeeps, but now I have a toddler and looking for a little more comfort. I think I did 1 easy dirt road last summer and maybe 2 the summer before. Not sure when I will get back in the mountains. He is currently at that age where he hates to ride in the car. I figure the next couple years will likely be easy roads for camping and picnics.

With that in mind I am definitely not afraid to lift, armor, swap bumpers, or cut up a vehicle just not planning to do much in the immediate future. Thinking I have decided on a 2010-2013 GX 460. I have seen a few posts talking about the premium suspension being less desirable due to expensive repairs and difficulty lifting. I test drove a 2012 premium yesterday that had good carfax maintenance history, but the ride quality wasn't that much better than my jeep which led me to wonder if the premium suspension was already damaged and how I would be able to tell that when test driving?

The body style change in 2014 is pretty much the only thing keeping me from buying newer. Is there any other impressive changes between the 2010-2013 460 and the 2014-2016? If there was a major change in the comfort, convenience, or ride quality I could get past the grill.

Crawl control. Both my LJ Rubicon and JK Rubicon had similar feature that I never used once I lifted so I decided this was not a feature worth searching for as it seems to be very rare. Any advice on that. Planning to hold out for the other 4 toggle switches.

Thanks,
Dirk
Old 03-02-18, 04:41 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,652 Likes on 2,391 Posts

Did you make any changes on the suspension settings and put in comfort mode?

If you plan on modifying suspension much or lift a Premium isn't probably for you but you can tear that all off as well and many have done that.

You probably wouldn't have any problem reselling the used parts if they were still in working condition.

I think even KDSS has a limit of like anything over 3 inches before you would have to remove that. Someone may need to correct me on that if wrong.

A big difference in reliability is that all GX 470's had the active dampers and rear height control. You can certainly find a lot of hits related to a bag, sensor, compressor failure for that model.

To be honest I can't remember a thread here where someone had bag or compressor failure on a GX 460. This could either be related to quality improvements or the fact far fewer models have these systems. Just some subjective numbers but think Premium models are like 25% of the '10-'13 models and '14+ Luxury are maybe 10-15%. You really won't find any significant trend of problem with that system on GX 460 at this point. Bags will need to be replaced some day...that is a guarantee but parts are pretty cheap aside from compressor and replacement looks fairly easy too. You can always then just go with coils and aftermarket shocks at that time as well if system went major catastrophic. You aren't locked into maintaining the system in stock state if you so choose not too.

All '10-'13 3rd row rear seats are power fold down while '14+ just Luxury model.

'10-'13 Premium = '14+ Luxury
2 trim lines '10-'13
3 trim lines '14+

If interested in Crawl Control check out the long thread here. I installed it in mine.

Mechanically they are pretty much all the same.... although the '10-'13 has a slightly smaller turning radius. I have heard some think the '14+ rides better. I've never driven one myself to tell you. Infotainment upgrades in '14+ as well.

[Model Year Changes]

2018 changes

2017 changes

2016 changes

2015 changes

2014 changes

2013 changes

2012 changes

2011 changes

2010 changes

[Brochures]

http://www.lexus.com/documents/broch...X-Brochure.pdf

https://www.lexus.com/documents/broc...X-Brochure.pdf

Last edited by Acrad; 03-02-18 at 04:57 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Acrad:
Greysmoke (03-02-18), User21c (03-03-18)
Old 03-02-18, 04:55 AM
CODirk
Driver School Candidate

Forgot to ask how do the middle seats fold flat? I was pressed for time on the test drive but planning to go back for a follow up. I couldn't get the seat behind the driver to lay flat just tilted and slid forward. Want to make sure that isn't broken.
Old 03-02-18, 04:56 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Pull it by the latch on the top of the seat.
Old 03-02-18, 05:22 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Some areas to check on a used model. Water pump will be easy to spot as coolant is pink and looks like cotton candy. Get down and look under the front... you may see pink stains as well.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...y-expires.html
Old 03-02-18, 07:45 AM
bbqsoup
Racer

I believe there's a ride difference between a premium and luxury model of 14+. Someone here (Tuandino?) traded in his Premium 17 for a Luxury 18 and according to him, the ride in the back seat is much improve over the non air suspension.

I don't know if it's the same with '10'-'13
Old 03-02-18, 04:21 PM
Greysmoke
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

FWIW... I own an '09 JKU and a '00 TJ, both of which I purchased new. And both are still in my driveway. I bought a '14 GX460 mostly for my wife to drive while she helps care for our baby granddaughter.

You're correct that the GX is a more convenient family vehicle, especially where car seats are concerned. And it's certainly more refined, comfortable, better equipped, etc. I've never considered my Jeeps uncomfortable, but the creature comforts of the GX460 are pretty alluring. And it is soooo much quieter. Plus the Mark Levenson upgraded stereo in the GX will make your ears bleed. And while I read gripes about the 4.6 liter V8, it has a lot more whoopass than my 4.0L or 3.8L. But my enthusiasm for my two Jeeps, which I'll probably hang onto until either they or I turn into a pile of rust, hasn't dampened. I'm very glad I have them all.

As to building one, I haven't done it and won't in the interest of marital harmony. But most of the ones I see (there's a GX offroad group on Facebook) are pre-'14. I think the front bumper on the 2014+ would require some real workaround stuff, as it's got to kill approach and departure angles. But I gather the running boards are pretty easy to take off. In terms of offroad accessories, from what I can see, the more serious stuff is sourced from overseas - parts designed for the Toyota Prado 150. The Aussies in particular seem to have a knack for building them.

I chose a '14 btw because I was able to get one that was Lexus Certified, and that was a big plus in my book.

Regardless of what my wife says, I will absolutely upgrade the tires. Mine came with Goodyear "Assurance" which have got to be the wimpiest things I've ever seen. I think, in order for the truck to pass certification, the dealer threw on the squishiest things they could find. I'll probably go with Michelin LTXs which I've run on my Jeeps, an Expedition, and a Suburban.

Just don't do what I did and put the car seat base on the passenger's side of the rear seat. That's the one that slides forward for entry to the rear.

I think you're on the right track. It's a real truck, but it drives very smoothly and it's comfortable as my man cave.

2014 GX460 Luxury in Tungsten Pearl with Ecru

Last edited by Greysmoke; 03-02-18 at 04:27 PM. Reason: added pic

Quick Reply: Used Purchase/Shopping Questions & Discussions - CPO / Dealers / Private Party