GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Used Purchase/Shopping Questions & Discussions - CPO / Dealers / Private Party

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-23, 04:21 PM
earpig1
2nd gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello - Just bought a 21 Luxury CPO. I knew it wasn’t perfect but my friend pointed out the tires don't match front to back. Dunlops and Yokohama’s. I was just going to replace them with Michelins but i have the 19’s and can’t find any. Love the truck, but should the tires have been matched at CPO? The tread depth seems good on all 4, so I’m sure they passed inspection for wear, but I thought I recall a previous CPO car where I got a brand new set of tires and the manager said it was because they didn’t match… Anyways, new to forums - sorry if this post is in the wrong place!
Old 10-16-23, 04:26 PM
CFAI
Instructor

Received 322 Likes on 219 Posts

Yeah, good to check before buying - you might also want to check the spare. They really should all be the same. On my CPO the 4 matched with about 60% left but the spare didn't and was pretty worn. I just replaced all 5 of them with the defenders but I am on the 18's.
The following users liked this post:
earpig1 (10-16-23)
Old 02-22-24, 10:31 AM
Vmonte12
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which one would you buy?

I have the opportunity to get a fully loaded 2016 luxury with 27k miles and two owners or a 2019 premium with 37k miles and 1 owner for the same price.

what do you all think would be a better buy?
Old 02-22-24, 10:39 AM
xychromo
Intermediate

Received 206 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by CFAI
Yeah, good to check before buying - you might also want to check the spare. They really should all be the same. On my CPO the 4 matched with about 60% left but the spare didn't and was pretty worn. I just replaced all 5 of them with the defenders but I am on the 18's.
Both have low miles so go wth the one that has the features you value the most. If you really want the rear air bags, then go with the luxury model. Personally, I'd go with the 2019, one owner and fewer years. Although be sure to check the service records!
Old 02-22-24, 10:56 AM
clearmysix
Pit Crew

Received 109 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Vmonte12
I have the opportunity to get a fully loaded 2016 luxury with 27k miles and two owners or a 2019 premium with 37k miles and 1 owner for the same price.

whichever one has modern safety features such as radar cruise and pre collision. That is more likely to be the 2019.
Old 02-22-24, 11:05 AM
FastTurtle
Intermediate

Received 105 Likes on 79 Posts

If the conditions are the same. I will go with the 2019.

Old 02-25-24, 08:06 PM
DanTeSlagX
Rookie

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by earpig1
Hello - Just bought a 21 Luxury CPO. I knew it wasn’t perfect but my friend pointed out the tires don't match front to back. Dunlops and Yokohama’s. I was just going to replace them with Michelins but i have the 19’s and can’t find any. Love the truck, but should the tires have been matched at CPO? The tread depth seems good on all 4, so I’m sure they passed inspection for wear, but I thought I recall a previous CPO car where I got a brand new set of tires and the manager said it was because they didn’t match… Anyways, new to forums - sorry if this post is in the wrong place!
Something is not right here. If that information is accurate, I would walk out of that dealership and never return. That is simply not permissible on a Lexus CPO. Ask yourself what else they skipped on inspecting but still signed off on? Mismatched tires is visibly concerning even for people that have zero idea how cars work.

Lexus has one of the best CPO programs out there. They don’t play “used car dealer fuq fuq games”. And mismatched tires is something you see with hood “buy here pay here” lots.

Last edited by DanTeSlagX; 02-25-24 at 08:19 PM.
Old 02-25-24, 08:10 PM
DanTeSlagX
Rookie

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by earpig1

The one with better maintenance records and cleaner carfax.

Given all things being constant, I’d get the 2016 luxury. Leather and all the goodies. These trucks barely changed over the years. Only the 2022-2023 have any worthwhile tech differences, and they are still comically outdated. 2016’s are literally the same thing as a 2019. And your *** likes leather.🤠
2eXceL (05-26-24)
Old 02-29-24, 05:39 PM
tomscnj
10th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi ! Scanning all the GX threads---I havent been on the forum since I sold my SC430 years ago...
I just bought a 2012 GX 460 creampuff "garage queen" with only 50k on it and all fluids, waterpump and preventative maintenance already done (diffs, transfer case) on record by Lexus dealer (except for the transmission, which they claim is "sealed" for life---but I intended to drain and re-fill soon anyway (that's topic for another thread)

---But what I'd appreciate your help with is a link to a good tutorial on how to play music or listen to podcasts from my phone (Android).
I guess I'm not too tech savvy because I couldn't get the bluetooth to link up, although I have no prob doing it in the house to an external speaker (its totally simple!)
What am I doing wrong in the truck???
Thanks!
2eXceL (05-26-24)
Old 05-28-24, 12:32 PM
Noobbie
10th Gear

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Any thoughts here on price from a private seller/original owner.
$37,000
2020 Premium, 53k miles, original owner, only service history are oil changes
Needs 4 tires, and 4 brakes
Accident on front right quarter 2 years ago. Seller said hit a deer and front passenger side quarter panel was replaced by dealership. I dont have that service record but am requesting it.
Some very minor scratches on rear bumper, and on front bumper toward the bottom looks like it made friends with a curb or something there is a 4-5 inch scratch that is fairly down low on the corner. That doesnt bother me tbh. Otherwise nothing crazy for 50k miles.
Rims are all in good shape.
My mechanic is looking at the car tomorrow but let's assume it get the mostly clean bill of health. Price here is subject to that.

Old 05-28-24, 02:51 PM
CFAI
Instructor

Received 322 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by Noobbie
Any thoughts here on price from a private seller/original owner.
$37,000
2020 Premium, 53k miles, original owner, only service history are oil changes
Needs 4 tires, and 4 brakes
Accident on front right quarter 2 years ago. Seller said hit a deer and front passenger side quarter panel was replaced by dealership. I dont have that service record but am requesting it.
Some very minor scratches on rear bumper, and on front bumper toward the bottom looks like it made friends with a curb or something there is a 4-5 inch scratch that is fairly down low on the corner. That doesnt bother me tbh. Otherwise nothing crazy for 50k miles.
Rims are all in good shape.
My mechanic is looking at the car tomorrow but let's assume it get the mostly clean bill of health. Price here is subject to that.
Brakes + Tires will be around $2k or more. If you look on Autotrader or similar you can find 2020 CPO with 45k miles for around $42k (just under) with no reported accidents and full service history and you won't have to replace the brakes or tires.

Last edited by CFAI; 05-28-24 at 02:58 PM.
Old 05-28-24, 04:13 PM
Noobbie
10th Gear

Originally Posted by CFAI
Brakes + Tires will be around $2k or more. If you look on Autotrader or similar you can find 2020 CPO with 45k miles for around $42k (just under) with no reported accidents and full service history and you won't have to replace the brakes or tires.
Thanks. I think it is close myself. I will see what my mechanic says.

As for service history, I have it. I just meant the only service so far was dealer oil changes. Seller is looking for repair bill on body damage. The Lexus service history shows it was repaired at the dealer.

Re: Tires. I don't mind trading worn tires for better price so I can get the tires I want. Imo tires are super important and most dealers will slap on whatever they have that is cheapest for them. I bought an Rx 5 years ago and dealer new slapped on Kelly tires. Fine tire I guess but wouldn't have been my choice. Dealer tries to upsell price for a relatively cheap tire.

​​​​​​Brakes: agreed. I could do it myself to save on cost. I am going to see what the mechanic says but I think they are ready to be changed.

CPO... Fair point. Didn't consider that.
Old 05-30-24, 07:04 PM
Noobbie
10th Gear

Originally Posted by Noobbie
Thanks. I think it is close myself. I will see what my mechanic says.

As for service history, I have it. I just meant the only service so far was dealer oil changes. Seller is looking for repair bill on body damage. The Lexus service history shows it was repaired at the dealer.

Re: Tires. I don't mind trading worn tires for better price so I can get the tires I want. Imo tires are super important and most dealers will slap on whatever they have that is cheapest for them. I bought an Rx 5 years ago and dealer new slapped on Kelly tires. Fine tire I guess but wouldn't have been my choice. Dealer tries to upsell price for a relatively cheap tire.

​​​​​​Brakes: agreed. I could do it myself to save on cost. I am going to see what the mechanic says but I think they are ready to be changed.

CPO... Fair point. Didn't consider that.
Pulled the trigger on 21 Premium with 32k miles. Picking it up tomorrow. Black/Ecru which I like a lot. Excited to start buying a lot of expensive gas! :-)
The following 2 users liked this post by Noobbie:
blackangus (06-10-24), CFAI (05-31-24)
Old 06-05-24, 03:20 PM
Zzyzx85
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello! I'd like a price check/opinion on this.
2014 Premium
Starfire Pearl/Sepia (Lexus.com says it's Saddle Tan?)
131k miles
newer Michelin tires
1 owner (older gent who can no longer drive due to having a stroke)
dealership service history up to 110k
Located in AZ
$20k

Seems like a good deal given the history.

Thanks!
Old 06-05-24, 03:42 PM
mike202
Pit Crew

Received 111 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Zzyzx85
Hello! I'd like a price check/opinion on this.
2014 Premium
Starfire Pearl/Sepia (Lexus.com says it's Saddle Tan?)
131k miles
newer Michelin tires
1 owner (older gent who can no longer drive due to having a stroke)
dealership service history up to 110k
Located in AZ
$20k

Seems like a good deal given the history.

Thanks!
I think this is a fair price considering the market. I would pay extra for a non rust belt vehicle.

Quick Reply: Used Purchase/Shopping Questions & Discussions - CPO / Dealers / Private Party