GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Used Purchase/Shopping Questions & Discussions - CPO / Dealers / Private Party

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-17, 05:25 PM
maxse
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2010 GX460 with 160,000 miles

Hi guys, I need some help please. I am shopping around for a 2007 GX470 when I came across a Lexus dealer that has a 2010 GX460 with around 160,000 miles that they have listen for $20,000. I think that's a fair price?

The car has the ML sound system and Air Suspension (which I am reluctant about).
I did extensive research on the GX470 and realize the air suspension is a weakness as is the ML. But there are kits available to convert to Springs when it fails.

Is there such a thing for the GX460? Would it be easy to convert the air system to that of a spring system on a standard GX460 since it is offered that way as well? I was hoping it would be standard suspension but this one isn't.

Any thoughts on what to watch out for? I know a timing belt and WP is key on a GX470, what can I expect to need on this GX460? Anything to know? Are there suitable ML replacement speakers when they blow? Can I expect this car to give me another 200k trouble free miles?

Would really appreciate your help guys. Also, any thoughts on the price?
Old 04-04-17, 08:08 PM
OMEGX460
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My friend just lifted his 2011 GX 460 Premium and used this kit from MetalTech on the rear: http://metaltech4x4.com/gx460-rear-c...rsion-stage-2/

The lift was very straightforward, the trick is figuring out how to disable the dash lights/warning messages after the rear airbags are removed. I started a thread today hoping to find the answer to that question: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...nsion-ahc.html
Old 04-05-17, 04:29 AM
ROSCOGX470
Instructor

Received 100 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by OMEGX460
My friend just lifted his 2011 GX 460 Premium and used this kit from MetalTech on the rear: http://metaltech4x4.com/gx460-rear-c...rsion-stage-2/

The lift was very straightforward, the trick is figuring out how to disable the dash lights/warning messages after the rear airbags are removed. I started a thread today hoping to find the answer to that question: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...nsion-ahc.html
straightforward conversion on GX460. I converted my GX470 and it was the smartest thing I did. You don't lose much compared to air bags. I also didn't have any error messages or lights after my conversion. There is a fuse to shut down the air compressor. I have only owned my GX460 for a month but love the base model loaded up with options personally. Good luck
Old 04-05-17, 05:34 AM
maxse
Pit Crew

Thanks guys. So if it's air suspension on the 2010 it's a straight forward conversion on it to Springs that are on the 2010 non-air suspension model?

i won't be lifting anything and this is strictly on-road city and highway.

Also just to make sure. The 2010 can stream Bluetooth audio?
sorry about all these questions I'm just negotiating now and wasn't expecting to get a 2nd gen and want to make sure I am making a good decision

Last edited by maxse; 04-05-17 at 07:53 AM.
Old 04-05-17, 09:07 AM
daman7676
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I can't speak to the suspension changes but can at least answer your question about bluetooth audio and the answer is 'yes'. I have a 2010 with ML audio which I do like and use the bluetooth audio option frequently.
Old 04-05-17, 11:18 AM
bbqsoup
Racer

Received 598 Likes on 424 Posts

When I was shopping for my GX I did a lot of search and read up on alot of forums but I don't recall seeing air suspension failure mentioned very often. There were some posts regarding leaning to one side when rised at max height.

Regarding BT audio streaming, it is great. However the only issue (i think it's more on the Iphone side than the GX), is that if I have BT Audio connected by default, whenever I start the car, the Iphone will automatically play the first on on the phone's playlist. I had to manually stop it. Kinda annoying.

However, the sound with phone is not so great (that's what other people told me)
Old 04-05-17, 01:09 PM
GoHuskers
Racer

Received 165 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by maxse
I know a timing belt and WP is key on a GX470, what can I expect to need on this GX460
I believe GX460 uses Timing Chain instead.
One thing to look for is the secondary air pump which is covered for 10 years/150k miles foe the new extended warranty but yours is over 160k miles so make sure you check that out.
Old 04-05-17, 06:02 PM
maxse
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by GoHuskers
I believe GX460 uses Timing Chain instead.
One thing to look for is the secondary air pump which is covered for 10 years/150k miles foe the new extended warranty but yours is over 160k miles so make sure you check that out.
Oh man, I have no idea what this is! I just bought the car too, it's pending financing tomorrow. The car is 20 hours away from me and is being shipped to me from a car dealer. The guy promised it's an amazing condition 1-owner, and I pulled up service records which were mostly done at Lexus and some service at Toyota.. Car looks great!

What is this and anything I can tell the used car dealer at this point? I didn't see this part mentioned anywhere in the service records and I see It's past the extended warranty on it.
Old 04-05-17, 06:19 PM
bbqsoup
Racer

Oh man, I have no idea what this is! I just bought the car too, it's pending financing tomorrow. The car is 20 hours away from me and is being shipped to me from a car dealer. The guy promised it's an amazing condition 1-owner, and I pulled up service records which were mostly done at Lexus and some service at Toyota.. Car looks great!

What is this and anything I can tell the used car dealer at this point? I didn't see this part mentioned anywhere in the service records and I see It's past the extended warranty on it.
The chance you will run into the pump issue is low but it's still there. You can check out the thread below and replace the foam filter with an aftermarket one. It's cheap and really easy to do.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-2nd-gen-2010-present/807962-codes-p2440-and-p2442-air-injection-system-fault-solution-with-pictures.html
Old 04-05-17, 07:34 PM
maxse
Pit Crew

Okay thanks so much! I'm not very mechanically inclined but I'm sure i can figure it out with the help of this awesome forum.
I noticed at the service records that the customer always state dfor Synthetic oil to be used and 0w20. The last service and oil change was 147,000 miles so nothing has been done for 10,000 miles. When I get the car, should I take in to the Lexus Dealer for service to change the oil? Should I be doing anything else to make it ready to drive? Or should I just take it to a local mechanic and have him change the synthetic oil? I think Synthetic is good for 10K miles?

Lastly, I just saw this in the lexus sevice records around 116,000 miles. But I don't see that anything was every repaired? Does this seem like the issue?
SERVICE: DIAG
DESCRIPTION: DIAG ~ ~CUST. STATES THAT CHECK ENGINE LIGHT AND 4LO LIGHTS ARE ON, VEHICLE WILL NOT ACCELERATE. CK AND ADVISE. ~ ~CHECK ENGINE LIGHT OM ~ ~116312 CHECK ENGINE LIGHT OM 100 CUST PAID TO CHECK OUIT TIME
Old 04-05-17, 08:39 PM
bbqsoup
Racer

You can have oil change anywhere but ask for synthetic and toyota oil filter.
You can have the next oil change at Lexus and ask them about the service history and see if they can check if the pump had been replaced.
Old 04-05-17, 09:25 PM
Oldmanb777
Pole Position

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Not sure of the price, but 20K for anything with 160K on the odometer seems ridiculous to me. do the math. A brand new "0" miles and new year. can be had for a little over double . Seems like you are spending a lot for some one else's miles. Just my opinion. Last used car I bought used, 1 1/2 yrs ago was a 3/4 ton pick up with 60K on it. $10K. A pretty good deal. 2 yrs ago bought a grand Cherokee for my son. 60k on it. paid 5k for it. Nice shape, well cared for. So where is the value in 160K miles, for 20K? Before I bought my truck, I looked at a Tundra, 90K on it, well cared for. needed the timing belt done. I turned it down @ $15K. And that was truck. Trucks hold value better than most cars.
Old 04-06-17, 01:43 PM
Toothpick
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi guys, I need some help please. I am shopping around for a 2007 GX470 when I came across a Lexus dealer that has a 2010 GX460 with around 160,000 miles that they have listen for $20,000. I think that's a fair price?

The car has the ML sound system and Air Suspension (which I am reluctant about).
I did extensive research on the GX470 and realize the air suspension is a weakness as is the ML. But there are kits available to convert to Springs when it fails.

Is there such a thing for the GX460? Would it be easy to convert the air system to that of a spring system on a standard GX460 since it is offered that way as well? I was hoping it would be standard suspension but this one isn't.

Any thoughts on what to watch out for? I know a timing belt and WP is key on a GX470, what can I expect to need on this GX460? Anything to know? Are there suitable ML replacement speakers when they blow? Can I expect this car to give me another 200k trouble free miles?

Would really appreciate your help guys. Also, any thoughts on the price?
$20k for 160 miles seams too high. I looked up KBB for a very good condition trade in and it is $16k-$17k, which mean that dealer paid no more then 14k. And most likely 12k or less. If you really like this car , then you have a lot of room for a price negotiation.
Old 04-06-17, 01:52 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,637 Likes on 2,383 Posts

There are apparently bypass kits available as well. First saw them discussed on Tundra forums

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Toyota-Lexus...-/231956002811
The following users liked this post:
tiadesiree (05-13-23)
Old 04-06-17, 02:01 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,637 Likes on 2,383 Posts

In Washington State KBB seems to be somewhat low. I felt like I got a decent deal but surely better ones elsewhere. Surely a significant amount of depreciation on this rig was already taken by first owner. Looking around I think these are one of the top 5 for holding value long term.

My single owner '12 Premium (ML/Air Suspension/ with 34K miles I bought for $32K. It spent it's entire life in CA. I wanted to find a truly fully loaded with "PRE-COLLISION SYSTEM WITH DRIVER ATTENTION MONITOR PACKAGE" and "WIDE-VIEW FRONT AND SIDE MONITOR SYSTEM/PRE-COLLISION SYSTEM (PCS) WITH DRIVER ATTENTION MONITOR PACKAGE". Rare...rare... rare.. it seems

Quick Reply: Used Purchase/Shopping Questions & Discussions - CPO / Dealers / Private Party