GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Diode Dynamics Fog Light Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-22, 10:08 AM
geogecko
Driver School Candidate

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Just wanted to also comment on the overall experience and first impressions.

I was really impressed with the install instructions and video. Once I paid 100% attention to those, everything went extremely well, with the exception of one step.

So my first issue, is that I installed the brackets on the wrong pods the first time, and did not realize this, until I was installing the first one, and noticed that the screw location was not what the instructions were showing. Problem fixed there (had I read the instructions again, this wouldn’t have happened). The second issue I experienced, was that while trying to aim the first pod, I couldn’t get it to turn on. I thought it was a dead pod, b/c the other OE fog was coming on just fine. I finally realized that the OE connector that mates to the DD provided connector, will plug in either direction, there is no keying that I can tell. My recommendation here, and what I did on the second pod, is to turn your fogs on while installing that connector, and just slowly push the connector on about half way, as this is enough to engage the pins, and you’ll see the pod light up, if it is oriented the correct direction, otherwise, after half way, pull it back off and turn it around. Thankfully they are reverse polarity protected.

Probably the most time consuming part is trying to aim the pods. I did not notice a sharp cutoff line like the headlights, but more of a subtle cutoff. I am still not 100% sure they are aimed correctly yet, until I find a place I can use for that purpose, as my location has a dark garage door, and is on an angled surface. I did find, however, that the bracket material is soft enough, that with the pivot bolts tightened to a reasonable tightness, you can still aim the pods without having to loosen the bolts, so this shouldn’t be too big of an issue.

Light output, dear lord, I was not expecting that! I got the Pros, and was thinking they might be slightly brighter than the amber H11 bulbs I installed in my Tacoma fogs many years ago, but I was wrong. With these on, all you see about 50’ in front of you, and way out to the sides, is a ton of amber light. So impressive, and really lights up the area around your vehicle. I wish I had bought some of these for my Tacoma when I had it, would have been a good pairing with the retrofit HIDs I installed.

Thank you to the DD team that finally created the brackets we needed to mount these with zero modifications!
The following users liked this post:
Diode Dynamics (04-05-22)
Old 11-08-22, 12:38 PM
xStayTuned
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

So for 2014+ is the only solution just the ronin bracket with an ssc1?
Old 11-08-22, 01:07 PM
Diode Dynamics
Former Sponsor

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

Yes, that's the most popular and known option at this time that we are informed of.
Old 11-10-22, 06:13 PM
12vrc
Rookie

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Any options for the 2019 GX dog lights?
Old 11-11-22, 07:35 AM
Diode Dynamics
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by 12vrc
Any options for the 2019 GX dog lights?
No vehicle-specific kits that are plug-and-play at this time.

Most users find a mounting point and go with our universal pods in an SSC1, SSC2, or SS3 SAE-Fog beam pattern.

These would have to be custom mounted and could require modification.
The following users liked this post:
12vrc (11-11-22)
Old 09-06-23, 11:56 PM
Nytron
Rookie

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

@Diode Dynamics I have a 2010 GX 460 Premium. Why would one opt for the SS3 kit over just the direct OEM plug & play SL1 replacement LEDs you guys offer? And just now I see there's an Elite fog light as well? I am getting decision fatigue, break it down for us:

https://www.diodedynamics.com/fog-li...x460-pair.html
https://www.diodedynamics.com/elite-...x460-pair.html
https://www.diodedynamics.com/ss3-le...xus-gx460.html

I want the same/similar color as OEM, the yellow is too yellow, and the white is too white. Don't you guys have "warm white" color option?

Last edited by Nytron; 09-07-23 at 12:01 AM.
Old 09-11-23, 08:48 AM
Diode Dynamics
Former Sponsor

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Nytron
@Diode Dynamics I have a 2010 GX 460 Premium. Why would one opt for the SS3 kit over just the direct OEM plug & play SL1 replacement LEDs you guys offer? And just now I see there's an Elite fog light as well? I am getting decision fatigue, break it down for us:

https://www.diodedynamics.com/fog-li...x460-pair.html
https://www.diodedynamics.com/elite-...x460-pair.html
https://www.diodedynamics.com/ss3-le...xus-gx460.html

I want the same/similar color as OEM, the yellow is too yellow, and the white is too white. Don't you guys have "warm white" color option?
Hey there!

Great question and I'll be happy to explain.

Our SL1 LED bulb is a great option if you're looking to upgrade from the factory halogen bulb. This LED bulb has been designed, engineered, tested, and assembled here at our HQ. It's been built from the group up to provide improved performance over an incandescent bulb and tested at our facility to mimic the beam pattern of the factory output.

Our SS3 and Elite Series are a huge bump up in performance.

This is because you're going from a reflector housing (mirrored interior) with a plug-and-play bulb to a fully encapsulated lamp that utilizes performance-based optics.

The SS3 LED pods have an off-road styling and utilize TIR optics compared to other competitors on the market. This allows us to capture and shape the beam pattern with minimal glare and offer the highest intensity possible!

Our Elite Series Fog Lamps cater to users interested in an OEM appearance and are right in line with our SS3 Sport regarding performance.

Measured Lumen Output:
ES 1850 lm vs SS3 1520 lm

Peak Intensity:
ES 10200 cd vs SS3 10600 cd

However, our Elite Series Fog Lamps utilize a custom-engineered patent-pending optic that delivers an extremely sharp cut-off, wide beam pattern, and unique BMW style color banding.

Now, if you're looking for a warmer white output. Users can purchase SS3 Sport or Pro yellow pods and swap to a clear lens to show off the 4000k warm white output.

If you have additional questions, please go ahead and give us a call at 314-205-3033 Monday-Friday 10 a.m.- 5 p.m. CST, or shoot us an email at contact@diodedynamics.com, and our in-house US service team would be happy to help you with that.

Hours: Monday-Friday 10 a.m. - 5 p.m. CDT
Email: contact@diodedynamics.com
Phone: 314-205-3033
The following 2 users liked this post by Diode Dynamics:
Nytron (10-14-23), Peacebay (09-13-23)