GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Diode Dynamics Fog Light Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-20, 01:57 PM
NWMudHorn
Driver School Candidate

Received 14 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SilverFire
Just out of curiosity why did you end up changing out the OEM white fog lamps for the yellows? Very nice job on the switch out by the way, LOL I am one of those pay a mechanic to do everything people (I got no patience, would be broken plastic and wires everywhere)
the yellow helps cut through bad weather like fog, rain, snow. It really helps with not washing everything out with white light.
The following users liked this post:
lionsfan54 (04-08-20)
Old 04-08-20, 10:31 AM
lionsfan54
Pit Crew

Received 38 Likes on 17 Posts

Of course, since the world is shut down, I've driven the truck about 10 miles in the past 2 weeks... and not once at night. LOL
Old 04-26-20, 06:56 PM
geogecko
Driver School Candidate

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by lionsfan54
No need to remove bumper. On the driver side you just need to lift car up and you can reach your hand in there. There's only one screw from the factory holding the old light in place so it's not bad. On the pass side I had to remove/peel back a little of the wheel liner near the bottom as it's a bit tighter in there. The light is VERY cut off and defined. This pic is quite accurate, although on my SUV the beam itself is lower to the ground
What year is your GX? I want to install these on my 2012, but over on the GXOR FB group, there is a post where the brackets don't match the pre-facelift GX460's bumper mounts. It also looks like Diode Dynamics removed it from their vehicle specific list for the GX460...

Also, did you go with the sport or the pro model?

Last edited by geogecko; 04-26-20 at 06:58 PM. Reason: Extra Question.
Old 04-27-20, 07:23 AM
lionsfan54
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by geogecko
What year is your GX? I want to install these on my 2012, but over on the GXOR FB group, there is a post where the brackets don't match the pre-facelift GX460's bumper mounts. It also looks like Diode Dynamics removed it from their vehicle specific list for the GX460...

Also, did you go with the sport or the pro model?
2010. The bracket matched for me /shrug. I will say this... there is only ONE screw in one corner that holds them in place. The stock foglight was the same way, so I just called it good and mounted them with that one screw.
Old 04-27-20, 07:34 PM
geogecko
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lionsfan54
2010. The bracket matched for me /shrug. I will say this... there is only ONE screw in one corner that holds them in place. The stock foglight was the same way, so I just called it good and mounted them with that one screw.
Interesting, I will have to look under there and see if mine is similar. Hard to believe they would hold that entire thing on with one screw!
Old 04-28-20, 03:15 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,651 Likes on 2,390 Posts

It’s true... just one screw. I installed Morimotos back in 2017.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...ml#post9929740
lionsfan54 (04-28-20)
Old 04-28-20, 06:44 AM
lionsfan54
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by geogecko
Interesting, I will have to look under there and see if mine is similar. Hard to believe they would hold that entire thing on with one screw!
I was surprised too, but judging by the dust and dirt up there, that one screw looked factory original
Old 04-28-20, 06:46 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

The FSM shows it as well

WRD4chano (04-28-20)
Old 04-29-20, 05:29 PM
geogecko
Driver School Candidate

Well, before I ordered, I pulled the driver’s side fog assembly...mine is 2” as well, which matches the measurements in the GXOR thread that shows the brackets have the incorrect spacing of 1.5”. Makes me wonder if it was a mid-body style change or something...

So I guess if the spacing is off, hopefully the boss with the screw still lines up, and then one of the two bosses on the other side could be used to slide into the tab holder. If the screw boss lines up, the other option would be to trim the other side bosses just enough that half of each boss sides into the tab holders...
Old 05-04-20, 03:17 PM
Diode Dynamics
Former Sponsor

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

Thanks for the additional info on that. To be clear, the 1.5" spacing is correct for the vast majority of Toyota applications. We believe the 2" spacing is used on the GX, and it holds a different OEM fog lamp entirely. We can make a new bracket fitment if we need to for that 2" spacing. But it's really odd how some people are reporting correct fitment without modification... hmm.
Old 05-04-20, 03:21 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

These are the dimensions of the Moromotos I installed a few years back...I assume mm. Perfect fit on my '12.

Old 05-04-20, 03:49 PM
Diode Dynamics
Former Sponsor

Thanks. They list that "Type T" fitment for both the Tacoma and the GX460. Those lamps are actually the same dimensions as our "Type B" SS3 kit we offer for the Tacoma as well. The measurements on that drawing are not correct, which makes things even more confusing. Basically, if those fit without modification, then our SS3 kit would also fit without modification.
Old 05-04-20, 07:03 PM
geogecko
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Diode Dynamics
Thanks for the additional info on that. To be clear, the 1.5" spacing is correct for the vast majority of Toyota applications. We believe the 2" spacing is used on the GX, and it holds a different OEM fog lamp entirely. We can make a new bracket fitment if we need to for that 2" spacing. But it's really odd how some people are reporting correct fitment without modification... hmm.
Yeah, that is odd. I exchanged some messages with the guy that had the GXOR post in the FB group, and he actually did mount them in his GX but ended up drilling holes in the bumper behind the fog shroud, and zip tying it in place. I’d rather not have to go that route, but really like the SS3 over some of the other options.
The following 2 users liked this post by geogecko:
Diode Dynamics (05-06-20), WRD4chano (05-04-20)
Old 05-06-20, 05:01 PM
Diode Dynamics
Former Sponsor

Interesting, good info.

We will be shipping a set to a customer with a GX460 we've been talking to - hope to get a conclusion to this question soon. If necessary, we will make a new bracket to fit. Thanks everyone for your help with this!
Old 05-06-20, 05:25 PM
lionsfan54
Pit Crew

Smile

Originally Posted by Diode Dynamics
Interesting, good info.

We will be shipping a set to a customer with a GX460 we've been talking to - hope to get a conclusion to this question soon. If necessary, we will make a new bracket to fit. Thanks everyone for your help with this!
Wait, I already installed some! Can I get store credit for being your guinea pig? :-)

Quick Reply: Diode Dynamics Fog Light Upgrade