Diode Dynamics Fog Light Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-20, 07:09 AM
geogecko
Driver School Candidate

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Diode Dynamics
Interesting, good info.

We will be shipping a set to a customer with a GX460 we've been talking to - hope to get a conclusion to this question soon. If necessary, we will make a new bracket to fit. Thanks everyone for your help with this!
That’s great, looking forward to what you find. Looking forward to installing these.

What would you say is the use case for someone getting the Pro’s over the Sport’s? Obviously I don’t want to overpower the headlights or anything. How would you say each compares to the stock light output of the stock fog lamps? I am probably going to use the amber ones as well.
Old 05-07-20, 05:54 PM
Diode Dynamics
Former Sponsor

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

Generally the Pros will provide more coverage and slightly more light. Personally, I'd recommend them for trucks/SUVs where the fog is mounted higher, or if you just want the maximum available light. Sport gets you most of the benefit though in cars where the fog is lower to the ground, if that makes sense.

Both versions are a huge upgrade over factory fogs though!
The following 2 users liked this post by Diode Dynamics:
geogecko (05-07-20), WRD4chano (05-07-20)
Old 05-10-20, 06:25 PM
pv05
Driver School Candidate

Received 21 Likes on 7 Posts

Interesting, good info.

We will be shipping a set to a customer with a GX460 we've been talking to - hope to get a conclusion to this question soon. If necessary, we will make a new bracket to fit. Thanks everyone for your help with this!

I just received my set of Diode Dynamics SS3 Sport Fog LED's for my 2010 GX460. I had mentioned about the fitment issue I read about in a Facebook post from another GXOR member who posted about it in Feb. 2020. Before it was shipped I received an email from a Diode Dynamics rep saying "If you have a 10-13 Lexus GX460 bumper modifications should not be needed as far as we are aware..." So I assumed maybe it's been fixed? Today I tried installing them and ran into the same issue. They do not fit without some modification to the tabs on your bumper. My photos below show the opposite side fogs comparing with one another but they do not line up regardless, OE tabs are wider than the SS3 tabs.

Awaiting a reply from Diode Dynamics, I hope they can find a solution to this quickly. These look like great fogs and the packaging was top-notch.

Last edited by pv05; 05-12-20 at 07:48 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by pv05:
geogecko (05-10-20), WRD4chano (05-11-20)
Old 05-20-20, 12:43 PM
geogecko
Driver School Candidate

Hear anything back yet? I would really like to order a set of these, but would prefer the 5 minute install, LOL.
The following users liked this post:
WRD4chano (05-20-20)
Old 05-22-20, 10:00 AM
Diode Dynamics
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by pv05
I just received my set of Diode Dynamics SS3 Sport Fog LED's for my 2010 GX460. I had mentioned about the fitment issue I read about in a Facebook post from another GXOR member who posted about it in Feb. 2020. Before it was shipped I received an email from a Diode Dynamics rep saying "If you have a 10-13 Lexus GX460 bumper modifications should not be needed as far as we are aware..." So I assumed maybe it's been fixed? Today I tried installing them and ran into the same issue. They do not fit without some modification to the tabs on your bumper. My photos below show the opposite side fogs comparing with one another but they do not line up regardless, OE tabs are wider than the SS3 tabs.

Awaiting a reply from Diode Dynamics, I hope they can find a solution to this quickly. These look like great fogs and the packaging was top-notch.

We're sorry to hear those aren't fitting properly. I've relayed the information to our team so that they can provide a speedy reply!
-Collin
Old 06-14-20, 12:50 PM
Agarakon
Driver School Candidate

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Diode Dynamics SS Pro LED lamp upgrade whole lamp?

Hi everyone, I’m trying to replace the fog lights on my 2010 Lexus GX 460. I’m looking at the diode dynamics upgrade lights that are a complete unit. They make three different levels. Has anyone tried these yet?

Sorted by cost they look like this:

Luxeon $160
https://www.diodedynamics.com/luxeon-led-fog-lamps-for-2010-2013-lexus-gx460-pair.html

SS Sport $200

https://www.diodedynamics.com/ss3-le...xus-gx460.html

SS Pro $320
https://www.diodedynamics.com/ss3-le...xus-gx460.html

I would love feedback if you have experience with these lights, or if you have other sources you like.

Old 07-22-20, 09:52 AM
skrypj
Intermediate

Received 127 Likes on 91 Posts

We're sorry to hear those aren't fitting properly. I've relayed the information to our team so that they can provide a speedy reply!
-Collin
I am having the same issue. 2011 GX with SS3 Pods having smaller spacing than the OEM fogs.

The hilarious part is the Morimoto XBLED's I was going to replace fit great and are meant to fit the exact same applications(2010+ 4Runner, 2014+ Tundra, 2012+ Tacoma, etc). Weird.
Old 07-22-20, 09:58 AM
geogecko
Driver School Candidate

-Collin
Did you guys decide to make a new bracket for us 460 owners, or is this a no go? Just curious if I need to look for another option or not.
Old 07-22-20, 10:04 AM
skrypj
Intermediate

Originally Posted by geogecko
Did you guys decide to make a new bracket for us 460 owners, or is this a no go? Just curious if I need to look for another option or not.
Apparently not because they are telling me to drill mine in with screws. Basically hack it together. I am kinda pissed seeing as I paid nearly $300(on sale) and yet my $170 Morimotos fit just fine on both my GX and my buddies 2016 Tacoma.

Last edited by skrypj; 07-22-20 at 10:13 AM.
Old 07-22-20, 11:38 AM
Agarakon
Driver School Candidate

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by skrypj
Apparently not because they are telling me to drill mine in with screws. Basically hack it together. I am kinda pissed seeing as I paid nearly $300(on sale) and yet my $170 Morimotos fit just fine on both my GX and my buddies 2016 Tacoma.
I really like the lights once installed. I would like to aim them higher but due to the mounting point being wrong it skews the light downward. So even at the highest setting angle they are a little too low. I might just modify the mount so the angle is correct.

I contacted diode dynamics support and they wanted me to take pictures of everything and send it in to them for review. I told him that this is well documented here.

That being said the build quality is exceptional the lights are amazing but the mounting point it’s just a little off. That’s my 2 cents.

Last edited by Agarakon; 07-22-20 at 11:41 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 07-22-20, 01:38 PM
skrypj
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Agarakon
I really like the lights once installed. I would like to aim them higher but due to the mounting point being wrong it skews the light downward. So even at the highest setting angle they are a little too low. I might just modify the mount so the angle is correct.

I contacted diode dynamics support and they wanted me to take pictures of everything and send it in to them for review. I told him that this is well documented here.

That being said the build quality is exceptional the lights are amazing but the mounting point it’s just a little off. That’s my 2 cents.
I agree that the lights are nice. Definitely nicer built than the Morimotos I have.
Old 07-23-20, 01:16 PM
Diode Dynamics
Former Sponsor

We do apologize for any trouble you've had installing the kit. The issue is that our current kit seems to fit perfectly on some years/trims and not on others. For those who have had issues installing the kit, it would be helpful for our engineering team if we could get the year of your GX460 and trim level. We do hope to offer a solution in the future for the trims that currently do not work. Again, we do apologize for the trouble. If you need to process a return, please contact us and we can get a refund sent your way.

-Collin
Old 07-23-20, 03:29 PM
geogecko
Driver School Candidate

We do apologize for any trouble you've had installing the kit. The issue is that our current kit seems to fit perfectly on some years/trims and not on others. For those who have had issues installing the kit, it would be helpful for our engineering team if we could get the year of your GX460 and trim level. We do hope to offer a solution in the future for the trims that currently do not work. Again, we do apologize for the trouble. If you need to process a return, please contact us and we can get a refund sent your way.

-Collin
I provided some pictures early on of measurements that were similar to another user where the brackets did not fit. I have a 2012 GX460 Base.

Would be great if you guys could post back here when you offer the new bracket, I’ll hold off on another fog light solution in the meantime.
Old 07-24-20, 08:39 AM
Diode Dynamics
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by geogecko
I provided some pictures early on of measurements that were similar to another user where the brackets did not fit. I have a 2012 GX460 Base.

Would be great if you guys could post back here when you offer the new bracket, I’ll hold off on another fog light solution in the meantime.
Thank you so much! We will definitely make sure you guys receive any and all updates. We have made not of everyone's posts that were having fitment issues and are keeping track of the models that fit/don't fit to find a solution!

-Collin
Old 07-24-20, 09:19 AM
ObsidianBl
Advanced

Received 195 Likes on 129 Posts

@Diode Dynamics
Not to take away from other members' concerns, but do you plan to make ditch light brackets for the GX like you've done with the taco, raptor and others?

Which option would you recommend in the ditch light location? I was planning to get the amber SS3 Pro either in SAE driving or SAE fog.

Quick Reply: Diode Dynamics Fog Light Upgrade