GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Diode Dynamics Fog Light Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-20, 08:31 PM
geogecko
Driver School Candidate

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by pv05
Holding up so far but would definitely prefer to have the correct bracket when it's released.
Nice, where you at? Also, did you go with sport or pro’s?
Old 12-05-20, 04:58 PM
pv05
Driver School Candidate

Received 21 Likes on 7 Posts

I went with Sport. I'm in MN.
The following users liked this post:
geogecko (12-05-20)
Old 12-11-20, 08:18 PM
ferrets
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Diode Dynamics
Yes- We have a new design for the bracket made and are bringing in a local GX to test fitment!

-Collin
Any idea when you'll have more of those brackets available? I have a pair of SS3s sitting in my garage right now too, with brackets that don't line up. I don't want to hack anything up to get them to fit, and I'm still within the return window. I'm willing to wait it out for a couple more weeks...
Old 12-14-20, 11:23 AM
Diode Dynamics
Former Sponsor

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by ferrets
Any idea when you'll have more of those brackets available? I have a pair of SS3s sitting in my garage right now too, with brackets that don't line up. I don't want to hack anything up to get them to fit, and I'm still within the return window. I'm willing to wait it out for a couple more weeks...
We hope to have them soon, but do not have an exact release date at this time. If you purchased brackets for your GX that do not fit, we will replace them with the corrected bracket when they are complete!

-Collin
The following 2 users liked this post by Diode Dynamics:
pv05 (12-14-20), THEOZMAN (12-15-20)
Old 12-29-20, 10:02 AM
omgitsroy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

We hope to have them soon, but do not have an exact release date at this time. If you purchased brackets for your GX that do not fit, we will replace them with the corrected bracket when they are complete!

-Collin

Collin,

have you figured out which models have the 2” spacing and which has the 1.5” spacing ?
Old 01-04-21, 11:12 AM
Diode Dynamics
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by omgitsroy
Collin,

have you figured out which models have the 2” spacing and which has the 1.5” spacing ?
Our engineering team have completed their designs, so we do know the bracket dimensions required for each model... However, we will still need to do further testing once we have our bracket samples to make sure everything fits properly before producing them.

-Collin
geogecko (01-04-21)
Old 01-19-21, 01:30 PM
skrypj
Intermediate

Received 127 Likes on 91 Posts

So I am one of the unfortunate ones who bought the SS3's for my 2011 and they did not match the stock tabs. The thing is, I was already running a set of Morimoto XBLed's in my GX that I had leftover from a previous vehicle and they fit just fine.

I also had a buddy with a 2016 Tacoma who purchased the same XBLed's that I have, and they fit his Tacoma fine. It got me wondering why the XB's would fit both applications and the SS3's would not. He sent me some pics of his XB's mounted, forgive the crappy quality:

See red arrow. It looks like the 2016 Tacoma features taller slots in the lower mounts which allow it to accept 2" tab spacing even though the OEM may have been 1.5" or whatever. This is why The Morimotos don't seem to have trouble in any applications while the SS3's do.
Old 01-19-21, 05:29 PM
WRD4chano
Advanced

Received 131 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by skrypj
So I am one of the unfortunate ones who bought the SS3's for my 2011 and they did not match the stock tabs. The thing is, I was already running a set of Morimoto XBLed's in my GX that I had leftover from a previous vehicle and they fit just fine.

I also had a buddy with a 2016 Tacoma who purchased the same XBLed's that I have, and they fit his Tacoma fine. It got me wondering why the XB's would fit both applications and the SS3's would not. He sent me some pics of his XB's mounted, forgive the crappy quality:

See red arrow. It looks like the 2016 Tacoma features taller slots in the lower mounts which allow it to accept 2" tab spacing even though the OEM may have been 1.5" or whatever. This is why The Morimotos don't seem to have trouble in any applications while the SS3's do.
how did the xbleds compare to the diode dynamics? which had more throw and output?

Old 01-19-21, 05:34 PM
geogecko
Driver School Candidate

Wow, that explains a lot. I couldn’t for the life of me, figure out how these fit in the Tacoma, but not our GX’s. I looked at other manufactures and couldn’t find anyone else with a bracket that was compatible with the GX, even when asked. Had they just made the bracket fit the GX, it would have fit both applications, or so it seems!

Still waiting on these. Hopefully they are coming soon.
Old 01-20-21, 10:48 AM
Diode Dynamics
Former Sponsor

Hi there! We definitely understand what you are saying. This issue we have found is that the Type B kit (for the Tacoma) fit some GX models and did not fit others, like yours, because the tabs didn't align. As you know, we no longer offer this kit for GXs because of this. However, we have been working on a new bracket, that will fit GX models, like yours. Thank you for your feedback!

-Collin
Old 02-22-21, 01:24 PM
VolGX
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

After reading this thread and understanding the likelihood of the tabs not aligning *completely*, I bought the SS3 (max version) anyway. I called Diode Dynamics first and they confirmed that the Type B wouldn't fit 100%. Whatever, I'm in love with DD's products anyway. A post on GXOR on FB from back in the summer outlined a pretty simple way to cut a little bit into the slots in the Lexus bumper to make it work. Well, it took about 20 minutes to get both SS3s installed, with the slight modification and damn, what a GREAT upgrade!

The max versions are not cheap but I very much appreciate the quality and detail that DD puts into their products.
The following 2 users liked this post by VolGX:
Diode Dynamics (02-23-21), IanB2 (02-22-21)
Old 02-22-21, 01:50 PM
IanB2
Pole Position

Received 525 Likes on 437 Posts

Originally Posted by VolGX
After reading this thread and understanding the likelihood of the tabs not aligning *completely*, I bought the SS3 (max version) anyway. I called Diode Dynamics first and they confirmed that the Type B wouldn't fit 100%. Whatever, I'm in love with DD's products anyway. A post on GXOR on FB from back in the summer outlined a pretty simple way to cut a little bit into the slots in the Lexus bumper to make it work. Well, it took about 20 minutes to get both SS3s installed, with the slight modification and damn, what a GREAT upgrade!

The max versions are not cheap but I very much appreciate the quality and detail that DD puts into their products.
I have the Pro fog's in amber, and they are a very impressive light, usually prefer them to the high beams in rural areas at night due to the ditch lighting benefits.

I feel like the intensity, rather than the aiming is what causes any flashes from oncoming drivers, unless they are in a lowered car, that would be awful, lol. How are the Max's, really? Do you feel they are appropriate to point at oncoming traffic if properly aimed? I think I saw they had a bit tighter beam patter than the Pro's, more like the Sport's.
Old 02-22-21, 02:52 PM
geogecko
Driver School Candidate

Our engineering team have completed their designs, so we do know the bracket dimensions required for each model... However, we will still need to do further testing once we have our bracket samples to make sure everything fits properly before producing them.

-Collin
Are we getting close? Keep seeing all these Subaru’s and 4Runners with sweet fog setups…
VolGX (02-23-21)
Old 02-22-21, 06:28 PM
WRD4chano
Advanced

Received 131 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by geogecko
Are we getting close? Keep seeing all these Subaru’s and 4Runners with sweet fog setups…
user on fb stated:
I literally just emailed them today and got some great info from them. They delisted the product until they can get the bracket 100% perfect. I asked when they'll have the type c bracket with the proper mounting tabs, and they mentioned they expect prototypes to be on test cars in April. I'm just waiting till it's perfect rather than messing with one that doesn't work to their own standards
fingers crossed
The following 2 users liked this post by WRD4chano:
geogecko (02-22-21), VolGX (02-23-21)
Old 02-23-21, 07:02 AM
VolGX
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by IanB2
How are the Max's, really? Do you feel they are appropriate to point at oncoming traffic if properly aimed? I think I saw they had a bit tighter beam patter than the Pro's, more like the Sport's.
They are certainly intense but it really is all about the aiming. I drove in true nighttime darkness last night on relatively populated roads and was on the look out for anyone flashing me or even seeming to react to the lights at all. No issues at all. I also stood in front of the car and the low beams certainly blinded me more at higher standing levels than the SS3s did.

Here are some photos for reference: https://imgur.com/a/NAIUb3n
The following 2 users liked this post by VolGX:
Diode Dynamics (02-23-21), IanB2 (02-23-21)

Quick Reply: Diode Dynamics Fog Light Upgrade