GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Diode Dynamics Fog Light Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-21, 08:25 AM
IanB2
Pole Position

Received 524 Likes on 436 Posts

Originally Posted by VolGX
They are certainly intense but it really is all about the aiming. I drove in true nighttime darkness last night on relatively populated roads and was on the look out for anyone flashing me or even seeming to react to the lights at all. No issues at all. I also stood in front of the car and the low beams certainly blinded me more at higher standing levels than the SS3s did.

Here are some photos for reference: https://imgur.com/a/NAIUb3n
I saw those pics on GXOR the other day, thanks for the reply!
The following users liked this post:
VolGX (02-23-21)
Old 04-15-21, 04:16 PM
geogecko
Driver School Candidate

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

@Diode Dynamics Hey Collin! How are we coming along with these 2010-2013 fog brackets?! Or has anyone else heard?

Would really like to get these fogs upgraded!
WRD4chano (04-15-21)
Old 04-16-21, 12:04 PM
Diode Dynamics
Former Sponsor

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by geogecko
@Diode Dynamics Hey Collin! How are we coming along with these 2010-2013 fog brackets?! Or has anyone else heard?

Would really like to get these fogs upgraded!
We currently testing a new bracket kit and should have more information coming soon. Stay tuned!

John C.
Diode Dynamics
The following 2 users liked this post by Diode Dynamics:
geogecko (04-16-21), WRD4chano (04-16-21)
Old 04-25-21, 12:39 PM
DPT
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Updates?

Originally Posted by Diode Dynamics
We currently testing a new bracket kit and should have more information coming soon. Stay tuned!

John C.
Diode Dynamics

any updates on this? Thx!
Old 04-26-21, 05:07 AM
skrypj
Intermediate

Received 127 Likes on 91 Posts

I finally gave up and just chopped off one of the tabs on mine and put them in.
Old 04-26-21, 05:28 AM
geogecko
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by skrypj
I finally gave up and just chopped off one of the tabs on mine and put them in.
Yeah, that would be very frustrating. Thankfully I haven’t bought yet, I’m monitoring the major light makers and whoever has the first drop-in for the pre-facelift 460, without modification, will get my money.

Honestly don’t understand why it’s taken this long for DD, you’d think with an existing module that fits, this would have been a month or two at best.
Old 04-26-21, 12:28 PM
Diode Dynamics
Former Sponsor

Hey guys. We brought a GX460 into the testing garage today and unfortunately, our prototype bracket did not fit. We'll be sure to post any other updates we get from our engineering team.

John C.
Diode Dynamics
Old 04-26-21, 06:26 PM
John00
Racer

Received 373 Likes on 284 Posts

i cant believe that theres some engineering team working on this.
I can believe that they are ordering from somewhere else and it isnt working, or theres just not enough money in it to bother, or both.
the brackets i imported for the gx way back didnt fit. there was an issue with the toyota drawings and the part numbers, and how they attach differently for various toyota & lexus vehicles. <---- clue there
so i made my own
took a few hours to measure the vealeo oem and draw it up, then print out the first attempt. after that the iterations went quickly, had a perfect bracket in only a few hours of work.

theres no need for a vehicle to test out the fitment, the new part dimensions just need to match the oem fog attachment dimensions.
then can know the measurement for the tip of the housing.

Old 04-27-21, 04:30 AM
M4rk
Intermediate

Received 86 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by John00
so i made my own
took a few hours to measure the vealeo oem and draw it up, then print out the first attempt. after that the iterations went quickly, had a perfect bracket in only a few hours of work.
That looks great. Reminds me of the SS3 mounting brackets. How much expertise/eng knowledge is required to design and 3D print something like this?

I am jealous of the earlier model years; Lexus changed the fogs with the predator grille to a smaller form factor. I glanced at mine and gave up instantly on trying to fit my SS3 Pro fogs in there. Time to sell them.
Old 04-27-21, 05:59 AM
THEOZMAN
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Diode Dynamics
Hey guys. We brought a GX460 into the testing garage today and unfortunately, our prototype bracket did not fit. We'll be sure to post any other updates we get from our engineering team.

John C.
Diode Dynamics
I love my SAE SS3s lights and a pleasant customer service, but it is not rocket science that takes 5 months to develop a bracket. all you need is some calipers and and a pair of OE fog lights. I gave up on waiting for a bracket and made my own out out right angle brackets.
Old 04-27-21, 06:52 AM
skrypj
Intermediate

Received 127 Likes on 91 Posts

Yeah, that would be very frustrating. Thankfully I haven’t bought yet, I’m monitoring the major light makers and whoever has the first drop-in for the pre-facelift 460, without modification, will get my money.

Honestly don’t understand why it’s taken this long for DD, you’d think with an existing module that fits, this would have been a month or two at best.
My Morimoto XBLED's fit my 2011 perfectly. I had them from a previous project and tried them right after I bought the Lexus.

What is confusing to me is that the XB's fit the same exact applications as the DD's and yet work on the GX. My buddy has a 2017 Tacoma and has the same exact XB's I do and they fit. He sent me pictures and his tab slots for the fog light mounts, and his are slotted to accept multiple tab widths. I posted a picture of it in here a while back I think.

The DD's seem to be a brighter light than the XB's, but I honestly haven't been able to use them much. I went with the Pro Fogs in yellow.

Last edited by skrypj; 04-27-21 at 06:57 AM.
Old 04-27-21, 07:36 AM
Diode Dynamics
Former Sponsor

Hey guys, appreciate the suggestions and input.

There are multiple different bracket sizes that Lexus uses. It is not one bracket, there are at least 2-3 different lamps. They all look the same, but the dimensions are slightly different.

It takes a few weeks to design and test fit on vehicles, a few months to do the tooling, and then a few weeks to validate the fitment, which is where we are right now. We've tested half a dozen Lexus applications, and our newest bracket fits on some but not others.

I appreciate everyone's interest in getting these quickly, but creating a new mold to make an automotive-grade durable part is not something that can be done overnight. We'd have to charge much, much more if we did 3D printing for our production parts. Might be a viable solution someday though!

We'll continue to keep you all updated on the progress.

The following 2 users liked this post by Diode Dynamics:
geogecko (04-27-21), SlickTRD (04-27-21)
Old 04-28-21, 04:17 PM
John00
Racer

Received 373 Likes on 284 Posts

across all lexus vehicles there are a few differences, but for pre facelift gen2 gx460 theres probably only one version pair.
it seems theres some gaps in the development process. the models can easily be adjusted for the differences in mounting. the molder should know the shrinkage for the temp and rate.
current additive mfg for small runs is actually less expensive than multiple retools when you have multiple different designs and all smaller quantities, such as in this application. plus no waiting on fitment checks, and qualification can start about immediately. if not actually designing and producing, then it is easier to just shotgun approach buy a bunch see what works.

it doedsnt sound like theres any focused effort on the gx460, seems more like trying different brackets on various vehicles to see what works.
other aftermarket mfgs actually designed specifically for the 2gen pre lift gx (and equivalents), thats why they have the option.

plus with their being other options, how much can be in it to focus on our model.
what would be nice is a bi-led with laser in a decent housing for the fog. these are very very bright when the laser is activated, for sure not good on the normal road.
might end up having to make this one also.

Old 04-29-21, 08:47 AM
Diode Dynamics
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by John00
across all lexus vehicles there are a few differences, but for pre facelift gen2 gx460 theres probably only one version pair.
The whole problem is that there are two different fog lights used for the GX460 pre-facelift. As posted in this thread, the Tacoma fogs seem to fit the 2010 but not the 2011.

We are trying to offer brackets to fit as many Lexus applications as we can. So far, we have two brackets that fit some models, but the GX460 is not covered. This is not a question of shrinkage or anything - the bracket dimensions are very different, with spacing between the tabs.

We did testing, but we're still having trouble nailing down the reason that the spacing varies, all within 2010-2013 model year. We created a new design, which fits many Lexus models such as the IS, but after more testing on the GX460 we've found that it is also different.

We've just spent a few days with a GX460 to really nail everything down, and we will probably be testing on at least 3 or 4 more, of different model years. The fitment information online for replacement OE parts is not correct either. This whole process has been a lot of fun. When the kit is available, it will work extremely well, be very durable, and fit perfectly. Until then though, I apologize if there's any disappointment on the timeframe.

Paul
geogecko (04-29-21)
Old 04-29-21, 09:49 AM
geogecko
Driver School Candidate

Paul, thanks for the update with more details. Was unaware there were two fog housing designs for these 4 model years, what a bummer. Well, glad to know you’re nailing it down, and look forward to the brackets being available soon.
The following 2 users liked this post by geogecko:
Diode Dynamics (04-29-21), WRD4chano (04-29-21)

Quick Reply: Diode Dynamics Fog Light Upgrade