GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Diode Dynamics Fog Light Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-22, 07:59 AM
geogecko
Driver School Candidate

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by John00
I completely understand the differences., thus the LOL. I like to think that I understand these differences more than most likely anyone else here, and with good reason. The LOL is because theres not really much to designing a mount for any light, even for use on multiple vehicles. this is why there are 4 mounts but all are not used on the GX/LX/etc. There's not anything special about the GX, even 2010-2013. If I remember correctly there was only 1 version needed, which had 2 variants.
If a company really wanted to supply this part they could within a month or two of the decision to go ahead. I do appreciate the updates, of course. But look at how long this thread has been going on, and think about it, people still waiting for a design for a 2010!
I guess I don’t follow you when you say there is only one version needed with two variants. To me, it seems like it would be hard to use one mount for multiple vehicles unless the bumpers were exactly the same design, which they aren’t, in most cases. With any kind of light source, typically it needs to be positioned in a way that makes sense, correct angles, aligning through the hole in the bumper, etc. just because it’s close, doesn’t mean it’s good enough, just like the fact that people think it’s okay to throw an HID in their halogen housing, turn it on, and think, oh hell yeah, that’s brighter, so it’s better. Forget everyone else on the road that has to deal with them now…

But I guess I can see where you’re coming from on why now, for vehicles made almost 10 years ago now? Well, my only answer to that is, think about your audience. Look at the drivers of 90% of the newer GX’s out there, like 2016+. The demographic of most of those is that they are going to only be driving a stock vehicle, with little modifications. They bought these vehicles brand new, and it came with fog lights. No need to upgrade. The 2010-2013 is quickly becoming the new GX470 in the off-road community, now that those are starting to get older and more hard to find. Those are the people that are going to buy aftermarket lighting, so it makes sense that DD would go back and pickup those model years, as it fits the demographic of owners that would likely have those vehicles now.

Surprisingly, it wasn’t until just last year that the first console safe was introduced for the GX460, and even more confusing to me, is that it is compatible with model years 2010-2022… 12 years of the same design, yet it took this long.
The following users liked this post:
Diode Dynamics (01-05-22)
Old 01-04-22, 08:07 AM
John00
Racer

Received 373 Likes on 284 Posts

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...l#post11041376
earlier in this same thread, one single bracket that works everytime for both sides. That prototype is still on a vehicle and going well. injection molded even better.

if you just look at the blue part, the mount tabs, this one bracket fits on both sides. The same one works because only 3 tabs are used, then it is rotated. The mount calcs are separate from houseing angles, etc.
looking at the parts list, you can see the number of variants when reviewing the final few numbers (not the first 5 or so generally shown on drawings).

i agree on the audience. I think this is why they just keep stalling until they find a mount pattern & housing that willl work for some other vehicles that make it worth the $ to develop. I do agree with this approach from a business perspective. I just think people should realize that there might not be such an issue with actually measuring some platic parts and then molding them.

Old 01-04-22, 08:19 AM
geogecko
Driver School Candidate

Hmm, that is a good point, I guess we will see how many applications the new bracket works with. I can also agree it makes more sense to make one bracket to fit a multitude of vehicles, and honestly, I have to think you’re right on that because it really makes zero sense that it took this long, when they have obviously engineered other designs for vehicles that have just been released in less time…
Old 01-04-22, 08:35 AM
John00
Racer

Received 373 Likes on 284 Posts

hopefully they get something out soon, or even some sort of adapter. I wish them the best. I would like to see a 90mm style retrofit to the gx fogs. might be a good summer project. or they could make this, using various adapters and just market the adapter. not sure but i think all 90mm have the same mount, flat/flush
The following users liked this post:
geogecko (01-05-22)
Old 01-27-22, 07:38 AM
Diode Dynamics
Former Sponsor

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

Thank you all for your patience...

Our team at Diode Dynamics will proudly be releasing our NEW CGX bracket that was specifically designed for the 2010-2013 Lexus GX460 on February 10th, 2022!

Diode Dynamics Fog Light Upgrade-mfh3plg.jpg

Diode Dynamics Fog Light Upgrade-l5hdn6d.jpg

Diode Dynamics Fog Light Upgrade-9f5hndb.jpg

Diode Dynamics Fog Light Upgrade-q9malr3.jpg

Diode Dynamics Fog Light Upgrade-ijv05ia.jpg

Diode Dynamics Fog Light Upgrade-vtphrvu.jpg

Diode Dynamics Fog Light Upgrade-qsxcjbc.jpg

Diode Dynamics Fog Light Upgrade-tasn8ag.jpg

Diode Dynamics Fog Light Upgrade-y8zcf6b.jpg

Diode Dynamics Fog Light Upgrade-bn3hhy5.jpg

Diode Dynamics Fog Light Upgrade-atgwlil.jpg

Diode Dynamics Fog Light Upgrade-sgzfses.jpg

All SS3 LED fog light kits are now available with a distinctive amber backlight. The SS3's backlight fully illuminates the TIR optic, providing a more unique and modern accent light when the main beam isn't in use.

We're thankful for all of your feedback in designing our new CGX bracket!

Updated Lexus CGX bracket compatible vehicles:
  • CT200h, IS350, IS250 A/T (2011-2013)
  • IS250 M/T (2011-2012)
  • IS250C A/T (2014 only)
  • IS250C A/T Convertible (2012-2013)
  • IS 350C (2014, 2015)
  • IS 350C Convertible (2013)
  • IS 350C Sport Convertible (2012)
We will have more information available soon!

John C.
Diode Dynamics
The following 2 users liked this post by Diode Dynamics:
geogecko (01-27-22), Malinois38 (01-27-22)
Old 01-27-22, 08:00 AM
IanB2
Pole Position

Received 524 Likes on 436 Posts

@Diode Dynamics Is a kit for '14+ GX's in the works, or should I just start looking at other options?
Old 01-27-22, 09:35 AM
Diode Dynamics
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by IanB2
@Diode Dynamics Is a kit for '14+ GX's in the works, or should I just start looking at other options?
No plans at this current time.

However, I just updated our sales and engineering meeting notes for this Friday 1/28 to include reviewing this option for the 2014+ GX460/470.

I did discover, Ronin Metal is about to release a bracket for the 2014 GX460 compatible with our SSC1 LED pod.

"Currently awaiting Powdercoat. Estimated ship date of February 1, 2022"

https://roninmetal.com/products/2014...-light-bracket

John C.
Diode Dynamics

IanB2 (01-27-22), Malinois38 (01-27-22)
Old 01-27-22, 10:30 AM
virtualpj
Rookie

Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Diode Dynamics

However, I just updated our sales and engineering meeting notes for this Friday 1/28 to include reviewing this option for the 2014+ GX460/470.

I did discover, Ronin Metal is about to release a bracket for the 2014 GX460 compatible with our SSC1 LED pod.

John C.
Diode Dynamics
For clarity, the Ronin bracket has been out for a while now. They were just out of production for quite some time. Looks like he was able to spin up a new batch, which is great news. Always good to see some competition though!

Old 01-27-22, 10:42 AM
IanB2
Pole Position

Received 524 Likes on 436 Posts

John C.
Diode Dynamics
I've been following up with Ronin Metal for a while now, they haven't had stock.
Old 02-10-22, 10:16 AM
Diode Dynamics
Former Sponsor

We just launched our SS3 LED fog light kit featuring our NEW CGX bracket that was designed specifically for the 2010-2013 Lexus GX460!

You can read more below:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/clu...l#post11225588

Happy Thursday!

John C.
Diode Dynamics
geogecko (02-10-22), SlickTRD (02-11-22)
Old 02-10-22, 11:48 AM
THEOZMAN
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

will you be offering just the brackets for sale? I already have Fog SS3s thanks!
Old 02-10-22, 12:51 PM
Diode Dynamics
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by THEOZMAN
will you be offering just the brackets for sale? I already have Fog SS3s thanks!
Great question!

We sure do offer an SS3 Type CGX Fog Light Mounting Kit separately for purchase.

https://www.diodedynamics.com/ss3-ty...nting-kit.html

If you just need the brackets, please go ahead and give us a call at 314-205-3033 Monday-Friday 10 a.m.- 5 p.m. CST, or shoot us an email at contact@diodedynamics.com, and our service team would be happy to arrange a set for you!

John C.
Diode Dynamics
The following 3 users liked this post by Diode Dynamics:
Siblue (02-10-22), SlickTRD (02-11-22), THEOZMAN (02-13-22)
Old 03-31-22, 03:22 PM
geogecko
Driver School Candidate

Hey, John, got my SS3’s for the GX, and am just waiting for a good time to install them. I was thinking about the backlight though. On the GX, I know they show the wire for the backlight being installed on the DRL wiring. I’m curious if the backlight is operating at full brightness by doing that, as from what I know, the GX uses the high beam headlight as a DRL, but in DRL mode, it operates at roughly 6V (I am not 100% sure how this is done, could be a PWM signal). So I guess what I’m wondering is if the backlight compensates for this lower voltage output?
Old 04-04-22, 07:20 AM
Diode Dynamics
Former Sponsor

Yes, that DRL signal will be PWM'ed. Our pod's backlight circuit can accept that 6V input and still be at full power. You can put it to the parking signal as well, just needs to be a fused 12V source.
Old 04-04-22, 08:08 AM
geogecko
Driver School Candidate

Yes, that DRL signal will be PWM'ed. Our pod's backlight circuit can accept that 6V input and still be at full power. You can put it to the parking signal as well, just needs to be a fused 12V source.
Thanks for the reply! I got them installed over the weekend. I will say that it looks like the backlight is proportional to the voltage level on the backlight input. It looks brighter when high beam is on, versus DRL. I recorded a video when switching between the two, and oddly enough, when in DRL mode, the backlight appears to flash on/off (although it is not), which I assume is due to the frame rate of the camera. So it seems like from this observation that the backlight is then PWM’d along with the DRL, which results in an overall dimmer light output. When in DRL mode, the backlight is just barely noticeable in bright sunlight. Would be cool if it could have been designed to run regulated off of 6V or less.

Quick Reply: Diode Dynamics Fog Light Upgrade