GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Is the Luxury package worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-20, 09:36 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by SDGT3
Without going into too much detail, at the end of the day, my wife liked the exterior and interior color scheme and luxury package more than the premium package. I must admit ,it is strikingly good looking and after driving it home, it felt smooth and composed over various road conditions. Now it's time to buy a brake controller and weathertech mats for it.

It's a new unit and of course the dealer wants to sell me an extended warranty. I'm declined but have a week to buy if I wanted to. Because I've never bought a Lexus, didn't know if what was offered was a good deal or not. With air suspension and added electrical, I'm a little worried for the long run. They offered $3500 for 3 years/50k beyond the factory 4/50k for a total of 7 years/100k miles. Thoughts?
Congrats, dont get the extended now. You have until the factory warranty is almost over to decide since you purchased new soo unless the GX is giving you signs that this might be a friday build, enjoy!
Old 04-16-20, 06:40 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 210 Likes on 144 Posts

Congrats! Yeah, don't buy any of their additional items they're trying to sell you during the sale process. It's 100% profit to them. Pretty much negates the discount you negotiated off of the new vehicle.
Old 04-16-20, 06:55 AM
RoadDawg
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Nice thing about Lexus is that the quality and reliability is engineered and built in. Those are your extended warranty (and you did pay a li'l more for it already). Also, this particular model benefits from nearly two decades of continuity in design refinement. Congrats. Your wife will love the Luxury.
Old 04-16-20, 08:03 AM
CFAI
Advanced

Received 320 Likes on 217 Posts

If you did want to get an extended warranty (I'm not suggesting that you should buy one or not), I believe you can buy it from any Lexus dealership in your state, which may give you leverage in negotiating the price of the warranty. I was able to get a much lower price on a 3 year extention on my L/cert warranty this way.
Old 04-16-20, 10:23 AM
SDGT3
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the direction. I've purchased several Toyota cars and trucks over the years and never bought an extended warranty for them and haven't been disappointed with the quality and reliability. The only reason I even considered it on this one is:

1. Even though the GX it's a tried and true product, there's considerably more electric toggles and switches on this Lexus as well as the air suspension than on a Toyota. My old GMC Yukon had the air suspension with self leveling etc. and when it went out it wasn't cheap to repair.

2. Our SUV prior to this one was a German brand on which I did purchase the extended warranty. Once it was off that warranty, the cost of repairs was not simply nickel and diming me but a whole lot more!

The saying " You lease a German vehicle, but buy a Japanese vehicle" is still true!
Old 04-16-20, 03:47 PM
Woodyboy
Driver School Candidate

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Congratulations on the Luxury. I think in the long run you'll be glad you did. On the extended warranty, I agree with the others and I would pass. It is obvious profit for the dealer and only benefits you in the case of catastrophic failure which is highly unlikely with a well maintained Lexus/Toyota. Really outside of of an engine rebuild what would cost 3500 to repair or replace ?
Old 04-16-20, 05:19 PM
louscrw
Rookie

Received 56 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by SDGT3

The saying " You lease a German vehicle, but buy a Japanese vehicle" is still true!
+1000. I lease my wife’s BMWs, but always buy my Lexus and/or Toyota vehicles
Old 04-16-20, 05:59 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 860 Likes on 596 Posts

Originally Posted by louscrw
+1000. I lease my wife’s BMWs, but always buy my Lexus and/or Toyota vehicles
can’t get the wife in a Lexus, Toyota?
Old 04-17-20, 08:27 AM
louscrw
Rookie

Received 56 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by tecman
can’t get the wife in a Lexus, Toyota?
The only Lexus my wife wants right now is the RCF. But, it has got to have the worst resale value of any Lexus ever produced and I wouldn’t want to buy one of those CPO or used for fear of it having been driven hard.

When we got the 2019 3 series, I cross shopped the IS350. The 3 series is roomier, quicker, and has way more tech in it. Overall, the IS350 felt identical to the 2014 version we had. We like the BMW, just not convinced of their reliability. A friend of mine swears by BMW and says that they aren’t as bad as people think, you just have to maintain them like anything else. Who knows?

I’ll be taking another look at Lexus for her next year when this current lease it up, but I believe the wife is going to want another BMW, unless I find a way to put her in a RCF.
Old 04-17-20, 08:55 AM
CFAI
Advanced

Received 320 Likes on 217 Posts

The only Lexus my wife wants right now is the RCF. But, it has got to have the worst resale value of any Lexus ever produced and I wouldn’t want to buy one of those CPO or used for fear of it having been driven hard.

When we got the 2019 3 series, I cross shopped the IS350. The 3 series is roomier, quicker, and has way more tech in it. Overall, the IS350 felt identical to the 2014 version we had. We like the BMW, just not convinced of their reliability. A friend of mine swears by BMW and says that they aren’t as bad as people think, you just have to maintain them like anything else. Who knows?

I’ll be taking another look at Lexus for her next year when this current lease it up, but I believe the wife is going to want another BMW, unless I find a way to put her in a RCF.
If it has low resale, maybe that also means you can get a CPO for a good deal - assuming you did due diligence before buying, wouldn't anything major likely show up within the 2 years of CPO coverage?
Old 04-17-20, 08:59 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts
Talking

You might get lucky, some dealers keep old new stock around...18-19RCFs just sitting on the lot