GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Is the Luxury package worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-20, 04:58 PM
SDGT3
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Is the Luxury package worth it? (Updated)

Hello, this is my first post here and looking to purchase my first ever Lexus. In searching for GX models, there seems to be good deals on the Luxury package models when compared to the Premium package. Still, I'm not sure some of these are really necessary or will be fully utilized. The SUV is primarily going to be my wife's DD and won't be used for off roading so the suspension adjustment and ride height are of very little value. The ML sound system I'm sure is nice, but again, not a big deal for us.

I do tow 5-8 times a year and the leveling would be of value, but it's not necessary and worry about repairs down the line with such a suspension system.

Given all this, am I underestimating the Luxury package?

I'm torn on a Certified 2017 or newer model. Anything to look for or be prepared for in advance? Thank you.
(U

Last edited by SDGT3; 04-15-20 at 09:01 PM.
Old 04-14-20, 05:01 PM
nuclearn8
Instructor

Received 591 Likes on 358 Posts

For your intended usage I'd buy a new base model at least 12% discount from MSRP plus near zero% APR and pull the trigger good.
Old 04-14-20, 05:15 PM
ASE
Pole Position

Received 1,027 Likes on 685 Posts

Originally Posted by nuclearn8
For your intended usage I'd buy a new base model at least 12% discount from MSRP plus near zero% APR and pull the trigger good.
Could not agree more. The variable suspension from a complexity and repair cost is a joke given the performance benefit which is subtle at best ... IMHO just not worth the up-front purchase or future repair cost. The rear leveling is a good feature but again, not worth the complexity if you do not frequently tow ... you can add (internal) air bags to the springs on the Base or Premium models. The ML sound system good, but not that much of a difference. My advise ... buy a new Premium at a negotiated discount ... full warranty and no worries over previous owner abuse or neglect.
Old 04-14-20, 05:23 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Simple if given the scenario what would you do if you had a hankering for coffee and were given the choice of Starbucks vs Dunkin? Both are coffee and good, but each has their own merits.

Same thing with the Base/Premium vs Luxury.

Do you really need the rear air suspension those 5-8 times you tow?
Do you really need the semi-anline leather?
Do you really need the Mark Levinson Stereo?

And the List goes on.

Lexus believe that probably not, hence why on dealer lots the most popular version is Premium+some kind of port installed accessory package. Luxurys and Base models are niche so they dont make a lot of them.

For the used market, I`d focus on the service history, pre-purchase inspection, and overall price. Colors and grade are all secondary to me.

Old 04-14-20, 05:25 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by nuclearn8
I`m more in the camp of unless Lexus brings back the huge Lexus Cash like they did back in 2018 where we saw folks get 77% total + TTL, its gonna be hard to justify discount premium new over a CPO Luxury
Old 04-14-20, 06:00 PM
Woodyboy
Driver School Candidate

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

The higher quality leather and slightly smoother ride was worth it for me. The pleather in the base and premium have a reputation for wearing badly.
Old 04-14-20, 06:05 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Woodyboy
The higher quality leather and slightly smoother ride was worth it for me. The pleather in the base and premium have a reputation for wearing badly.
I thought it was the opposite since leather drys out if not maintained well
Old 04-14-20, 07:07 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 310 Likes on 229 Posts

In my opinion, CPO is not worth the extra cost in a vehicle with excellent reliability. Many want this "peace of mind" but in reality Lexus is the one making money from the CPO not you. If you were purchasing a German vehicle it's a little different as their reliability ratings are not good and cost of maintainence is much more expensive. Find a good independent mechanic and source the parts yourself. This will cost you 1/3 of the CPO markup. Good independent shops do better quality world than Lexus dealers as well. If you can wrench a little yourself the savings is even more.

​​​
​​​​​​

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 04-14-20 at 07:57 PM.
The following users liked this post:
coolsaber (04-15-20)
Old 04-15-20, 06:16 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 210 Likes on 144 Posts

ML wasn't really that good in my previous Luxury GX. Not worth the additional cost
We never towed anything. Not worth it.

Just get the Premium model. You'll be just as happy, and have more of your TrumpBux to spend on toilet paper.
Old 04-15-20, 07:56 AM
cploy
Driver School Candidate

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts

Do you really need the rear air suspension those 5-8 times you tow?
I don't really tow anything but for a better ride, yes I will take it. Many postings sited excellent reliability on the Lexus Air Suspension. I regretted not ordering it 10 years ago when I got my LS460L
Do you really need the semi-anline leather?
All my car/trucks that I own or owned have leather seats. Lexus Semi-anline leather by far is the best. It is soft and super easy to take care of. My 10-year-old LS still look like day-1.
Do you really need the Mark Levinson Stereo?
You don't know what you are missing until you hear the differences. 9 speakers standard vs. 17 speakers/sub ML setup. You are joking yourself for claiming they are the same or not much different. Sure you can try to replace the stock better aftermarket speakers....but upgrading it to 17 speakers? You must be kidding and why you want to skip it now.
Because of all these, I went with a low miles Luxury CPO instead of the brand new Premium trim.

Old 04-15-20, 08:32 AM
hzhao
Racer

Received 982 Likes on 568 Posts

Many options are very subjective on individuals. There is not any standard answers to that. If you plan to do lots of modification mechanically for off-roading purpose, then non of luxury options would give you much of the value it was intended for. If you shopping GX is for its luxury and reliability, then to have the luxury option would have been the reason for that you are here at first place. Of course, there is always the financial aspect of decision when we value everything in live. So, the bottom line is YOU (and whoever you care about will be in this GX).

For me, I always go for luxury options as long as my financial situation allowed me to do. I only live once and prefer to live the life with best possible way. I buy a Lexus and want a meaningful Lexus, not just a badge of Lexus. But again, that is just me and my own value system.
The following 3 users liked this post by hzhao:
cploy (04-15-20), GoHuskers (04-16-20), Lavrishevo (04-15-20)
Old 04-15-20, 08:43 AM
RoadDawg
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

If you want a CPO, then you'll find market availability is going to limit your options (and that ain't all bad). I am a big fan of buying late model used Toyota and Lexus cars and trucks. You are in a great position because a base model will meet your needs, but trim levels that commanded thousands when new usually don't add much of a premium used. And, lucky you, the used market is gonna look pretty good for awhile, I'd surmise. Happy hunting!

2015 GX 460 Luxury CPO
Old 04-15-20, 09:09 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 210 Likes on 144 Posts

He said it was for his wife. If he buys the Luxury, for all the stuff she'll never notice, he's not paying attention.
Old 04-15-20, 11:58 AM
CFAI
Advanced

Received 320 Likes on 217 Posts

Or if you are willing to buy used anyway, maybe a look for a clean 2014 -2016 CPO. Prob can get one for a little over $30k with 2 year unlimtted mile warrenty. Maybe for even less money given the economy.
The following users liked this post:
RoadDawg (04-16-20)
Old 04-15-20, 09:11 PM
SDGT3
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Pulled the trigger

Without going into too much detail, at the end of the day, my wife liked the exterior and interior color scheme and luxury package more than the premium package. I must admit ,it is strikingly good looking and after driving it home, it felt smooth and composed over various road conditions. Now it's time to buy a brake controller and weathertech mats for it.

It's a new unit and of course the dealer wants to sell me an extended warranty. I'm declined but have a week to buy if I wanted to. Because I've never bought a Lexus, didn't know if what was offered was a good deal or not. With air suspension and added electrical, I'm a little worried for the long run. They offered $3500 for 3 years/50k beyond the factory 4/50k for a total of 7 years/100k miles. Thoughts?

Quick Reply: Is the Luxury package worth it?