GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Trailer hitch platform bike rack

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-17, 12:39 PM
amanbawa
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Tow Hitch Bike Rack for Lexus 460

Hi All! I have a Lexus GX 460 and am interested in putting a tow hitch bike rack on it. Here are my basic requirements:
  • can hold 4 bikes
  • can get out of the way so I can open the rear gate
  • is stable when driving at highway speed (not too much shake, sway)
Anyone have any recent recommendations or ones to avoid? I tried searching but see only old postings (over 4 years old) so thought I would ask. I am interested in purchasing this week as we may use next weekend. I am also looking at what ball mount I should put on.

Looking for best manufacturer, models, and places to purchase.
Thanks in advance for any help!

Kind Regards,

Aman

Last edited by amanbawa; 07-15-17 at 12:40 PM. Reason: added more content
Old 07-15-17, 12:44 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,663 Likes on 2,398 Posts

Looks like a couple Thule "swinging" options here.

https://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Bike-...12/TH9027.html

https://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Bike-.../TH9031XT.html
Old 07-15-17, 04:00 PM
rroman001
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I have the Thule Apex Swing 4. I use it with the Gx460 and carry 3 - 4 bikes. Pros..... does what its meant to do which is swing open and allow me to get into the truck. I also used this with a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited for the same reason and used it many ski seasons. The only Con that I know of is this is a very beefy bike rack and when you pick it up to install, you better have a good grip and not use your back or you will get injured like i did.
Old 07-15-17, 07:42 PM
mattau
Pit Crew

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

There are also the Yakima ones. The cheapest one is the Sportrack Ridge Swing. I just picked up an old Yakima FullSwing 4 that is in good condition. I am happy with it.
Attached Thumbnails Trailer hitch platform bike rack-2017-07-15-15.49.40.jpg  
Old 07-16-17, 05:58 AM
sfuad
Pit Crew

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Acrad35751
I recently purchased Yakima full swing. Kids love it. Very easy to swing it while bikes are loaded. I like the ratchet style bike holders on Yakima compared to the straps on Thule. Plus my GX is black in color so I was biased towards Yakima compared to silver Thule
Old 07-16-17, 09:07 AM
Randy B
Advanced

Received 81 Likes on 56 Posts
Default Yakima Swing Daddy 4

I bought a Yakima Swing Daddy 4, and have not looked back since. Holds 4 bikes, has a cable lock built in, straps for all the bikes in two places, and swing completely out of the way when loaded. It's heavy duty and I don't worry about long trips when its loaded. You will need a few extra bungee cords to keep the wheels straight on the fork from rotating the steering, but that was the only add on I found I needed.

Randy B
Attached Thumbnails Trailer hitch platform bike rack-sd-1.jpg   Trailer hitch platform bike rack-sd-2.jpg  
Old 04-14-19, 06:44 AM
clerkp
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Bike Rack No Hitch

Hi, can anyone recommend a rear trunk bike rack that fits a 2017 GX 460 without a trailer hitch? I see Thule makes a couple that they claim fits. Thanks.
Old 04-14-19, 08:59 AM
ltsr
Pole Position

Received 78 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by clerkp
Hi, can anyone recommend a rear trunk bike rack that fits a 2017 GX 460 without a trailer hitch? I see Thule makes a couple that they claim fits. Thanks.
If you don’t have a hitch, you can add one for Around $100:

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hit...saAq44EALw_wcB

Unless you just don’t like running a hitch at all, we’ll have to wait what others have done.
The following users liked this post:
Acrad (04-14-19)
Old 04-14-19, 01:16 PM
ASE
Pole Position

Received 1,047 Likes on 698 Posts

Originally Posted by ltsr
If you don’t have a hitch, you can add one for Around $100:

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hit...saAq44EALw_wcB

Unless you just don’t like running a hitch at all, we’ll have to wait what others have done.
If you do choose to install a hitch ... when using a taller-than-stock tire (now or in the future) ... keep in mind that some brands maximize the spare tire space, while others impose a level of restriction beyond the OEM tire size.
Old 04-14-19, 03:12 PM
caesosa
Pole Position

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

Getting a hitch is the way to go. It’s a really easy install with the one highlighted above.
The following 2 users liked this post by caesosa:
ASE (02-20-20), msgs350 (04-14-19)
Old 04-14-19, 04:22 PM
msgs350
Pole Position

Received 208 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by caesosa
Getting a hitch is the way to go. It’s a really easy install with the one highlighted above.
Agreed, hitch is the way to go, otherwise you're using hooks to the body panels (scratching paint). I sucked it up and got one that swings for the GX.
Old 02-20-20, 03:12 PM
rsdouglass
Driver School Candidate

So, I just installed a Curt Class 2 Trailer hitch on my 2014 LS460. Got the hitch at Ama zon for less than $140, delivered via UPS.
The Curt part# is 12114. It is a nice looking hitch, exactly like the one pictured by 'roadfrog' on the red LS460.
It took me two days to build up the courage to pull off the rear bumper cover
But once I started the install, I guess the job was completed in less than 3 hours, with lots of "thinking'-before-doin'".
The instructions were perfect, with no drilling; and I only had to cut (using a razor-knife) about a 2"x3" square of plastic from an underneath cover that no one sees. The result is a hitch that is almost 'invisible' (without the ball assembly).
I also bought the 'new' euro-style 1-7/8" ball from Curt: (CURT 45551 Euro Mount Trailer Hitch Ball Mount with 1-7/8-Inch Trailer Hitch Ball)
Now I can easily tow my Tractor Supply utility trailer... thus saving my LS460 trunk from all kinds of dirty, messy stuff I used to jam in there
MY QUESTION- I have read that wiring a simple 4-prong hitch plug to my LS460 is not so simple... Is there an adapter kit to ease the wiring pain?
Thank you in advance!
Old 04-20-20, 12:36 PM
Kmellinger
Driver School Candidate

Default Trailer hitch platform bike rack

I am looking for a trailer hitch bike rack that one folder down the swing gate will open. I am looking for a platform bike rack. Any recommendations.? Has anyone used the kuat transfer bike rack with the GX 460? I am OK removing the bikes in order to open the swing door I just want to make sure that when the platform is flat the door will clear.
Old 04-20-20, 12:46 PM
csrpenfab
Pit Crew

Received 90 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Kmellinger
I am looking for a trailer hitch bike rack that one folder down the swing gate will open. I am looking for a platform bike rack. Any recommendations.? Has anyone used the kuat transfer bike rack with the GX 460? I am OK removing the bikes in order to open the swing door I just want to make sure that when the platform is flat the door will clear.
I have the Kuat NV 2.0 rack on my GX460, and it works great. The rack tips down with a foot lever, but the rear barn door won't clear unless you remove the bikes. If you fold the bike holding arms down, the rear door will open just fine without having to tip the rack down. It's a great rack and rock solid; whether it's holding my 20lb carbon gravel bike or 2 60lb E-Bikes. They're not cheap, but you get what you pay for. Look for one when REI has their semi-annual 20% off sale.

Old 04-20-20, 02:16 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,663 Likes on 2,398 Posts

Maybe some help here?

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...xus-460-a.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...the-gx460.html

Quick Reply: Trailer hitch platform bike rack