GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Sunroof Malfunctioning

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-20 | 12:45 PM
chimes
Rookie

Default Sunroof Malfunctioning

The sunroof has been working sporadically for the past few months on my ‘15 GX- some days opens and closes and some days won’t budge. Recently took it in for 60,000 mile service and mentioned the issue when I dropped it off. They replaced my battery (definitely needed to be done) and said that sometimes a low battery can cause sunroof/moonroof issues. They also said that they couldn’t get it to replicate the issue before or after replacing the battery... of course. Pick it up from the dealer aaaaaand it only works about every other day. Anyone else have the same issues? They assured me it wasn’t the motor. I Googled it and saw some other forums mention a “sunroof reset“ after changing the battery. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 04-26-20 | 01:50 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Do you know if they hooked up Techstream and tried to pull codes?

When it doesn't work both slide and tilt do not work?

FSM states this

Last edited by Acrad; 09-30-23 at 09:05 AM.
Old 04-26-20 | 02:14 PM
chimes
Rookie

Originally Posted by Acrad
Do you know if they hooked up Techstream and tried to pull codes?

When it doesn't work both slide and tilt do not work?

FSM states this

Not sure about Techstream/pulling codes. When it works, everything works completely fine. When it doesn’t work, nothing works at all. My wife said that she hears a faint sound like a motor trying to operate but I honestly don’t hear anything at all
Old 04-26-20 | 02:24 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

That map light console comes out pretty easy from the front windshield side and the ECU is readily accessible in that area as well.
The following users liked this post:
chimes (04-26-20)
Old 09-24-23 | 07:44 AM
sinistar
Driver

Default Sunroof only working intermittently

I have a 2014 GX460 with 103K miles or so. Bought it in 2019, and up until a few months ago, the sunroof has worked fine. But now sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, as in I'll press either button, hear a kind of click, but then nothing -- it won't even start to open at all. Then on some other day it will open and close no problem. There doesn't seem to be any partial operation, it either works or it doesn't, and more often than not, it doesn't work. Here in Colorado we have had quite a rainy spring and summer, and the GX is parked outside, so not sure if there's maybe a water intrusion problem that has affected something.

Any ideas of how to troubleshoot, or a known part to fail that I could maybe replace (if relatively low effort)? Would prefer to have Lexus look into it only as a last resort. Didn't find a similar issue searching the forum so far.

Thanks.
Old 09-24-23 | 10:49 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

You should be able to pull diagnostic codes with this as well

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...stic-tool.html

sinistar (09-24-23)
Old 09-29-23 | 07:25 AM
sinistar
Driver

Ordered the OBD adapter, but curious what @chimes eventually discovered in their case, if anything. Although it looks like they haven't logged on here for quite some time.
Old 09-29-23 | 04:55 PM
sinistar
Driver

My sunroof is in a non-working state, and just tried out the OBD MX+. Unless I'm missing something, no trouble codes are detected. Is a lack of a trouble code indicative of something that would be helpful for the next step? Anyone had the same symptoms and get it fixed?

Last edited by sinistar; 09-29-23 at 05:55 PM.
Old 09-30-23 | 06:00 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Sunroof failures have been rarely reported over the years. That being said you are going to probably have to resort to a multimeter since no codes. You might want to start with the overhead console switch. The active tests are doing with Techstream but I'm not sure that is going to tell you much more than you already know about not working.

Map console swings down as shown here
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...ml#post8650646

Last edited by Acrad; 09-30-23 at 09:08 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Acrad:
John00 (09-30-23), Someone028 (03-04-24)
Old 09-30-23 | 06:10 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

The data list presented in Techstream could be helpful though if all of the multimeter tests previously mentioned check out ok

Old 09-30-23 | 06:45 AM
Carnevino
Advanced

There is a manual reset for the sunroof. I can’t recall the sequence, but it is in your owners manual. I had to reset the sunroof in my 20 a few times.
Old 09-30-23 | 09:01 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Old 09-30-23 | 09:13 AM
sinistar
Driver

Ok, I have to acknowledge some first time use user error with the OBD MX+, which I only discovered while looking into its use at bedtime last night. While I did download the enhanced OEM add-on, I didn't know you had to connect to a separate enhanced network with the specific set of options you need to scan and diagnose, and I had not done that for the set of features that included the sunroof. So this morning I tried again and got a few codes, but none related to the sunroof, which I suppose makes sense because it happens to be in a working state. But below is a screenshot of those other codes just as an FYI.

I will try again when the sunroof decides to get back into a non-working state, which should be soon enough. Thanks for the additional follow-up, Acrad.

Old 09-30-23 | 11:35 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

I wouldn't worry about B15EC since that is the backup Mayday battery for Enform which was EOL'd 10/2022 on '10-'18 460s. That system serves no purpose now.

C1AE1 is one of your left front parking sensors that must have had an intermittent connection sometime in the past or was unplugged but ok now since historical

B2620 is voltage drop for the steering column ECU

Old 09-30-23 | 05:42 PM
sinistar
Driver

Updates:
  • Connected the OBD MX+ again, but this time while the sunroof was inoperable. Still no codes came up related to the sunroof (it was pretty obvious I had a scan of the sunroof enabled at this point).
  • Came across this troubleshooting post with videos identifying the motor as the problem, and demonstrating how to take it apart and get it working again.
  • Went back to my GX and the sunroof was working again. Since I had it open, I cleaned up and lightly lubricated the rails. Sunroof stopped working in the open state at this stage.
  • Pulled down the map light console a second time (first time I just did a visual inspection, and saw no obvious problems). And just for fun, I decided to see what would happen if I lightly but firmly tapped on the sunroof motor like you would a failing starter. See red arrow in attached pic. After a few taps with the butt of an M9 style knife (it's just what I happened to have handy at the time), the sunroof was working again. Coincidence? Maybe, but I was able to repeat this a few more times after a few more failures of the sunroof.

At this point, I'm gonna assume the motor is bad, but I'm not interested in trying to disassemble and recondition it like in the video, and I'm just going to replace it. That said, I'm also NOT going to pay the $600 retail price from US dealers. Placed an order for about half that from Amayama.

Last edited by sinistar; 10-03-23 at 06:38 AM.
Acrad (09-30-23)

Quick Reply: Sunroof Malfunctioning