GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Which Harbor Freight hydraulic jack for break & rotor work??

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-20, 09:55 PM
skrypj
Intermediate

Received 127 Likes on 91 Posts

I’ve had my 3 ton harbor freight jack for 6-7 years. I bet i use it at least 2-3 times a month including using it to part out my entire jeep liberty CRD that the GX replaced. It has not let me down at all.

i did get a set of these:

Powerbuilt Alltrade 640912 Black 3 Ton, All-in-One Bottle Jack
Amazon Amazon

I really like them and use them a lot. They are a jack stand but had a hydraulic bottle jack built in. It can be locked in place at any height just like a regular jack stand.

They are really pricey now though. I paid $35 a piece for then.
Old 05-14-20, 07:59 AM
maduro
Driver School Candidate

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by skrypj
I’ve had my 3 ton harbor freight jack for 6-7 years. I bet i use it at least 2-3 times a month including using it to part out my entire jeep liberty CRD that the GX replaced. It has not let me down at all.

Powerbuilt Alltrade 640912 Black 3 Ton, All-in-One Bottle Jack https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003ULZGFU..._w7mVEb4YFDDDB

I really like them and use them a lot. They are a jack stand but had a hydraulic bottle jack built in. It can be locked in place at any height just like a regular jack stand.

skrypj....you bring up another point. Do you even have a floor jack? I too wondered if I could get by with a bottle jack and jack stands...or your All-in-One Bottle Jack? One thing I don't like about the floor jack is that it takes so much space. The bottle jack can easily be put away on a shelf.

Maduro
Old 05-14-20, 08:03 AM
skrypj
Intermediate

Originally Posted by maduro
skrypj....you bring up another point. Do you even have a floor jack? I too wondered if I could get by with a bottle jack and jack stands...or your All-in-One Bottle Jack? One thing I don't like about the floor jack is that it takes so much space. The bottle jack can easily be put away on a shelf.

Maduro
That and you can take those All-in-one bottle jackets with you on trips instead of having to use the crappy scissor jack. I bring one with me every time I tow my travel trailer on a camping trip. I can easily slide it under the axle or frame of the trailer and swap a tire.
The following users liked this post:
maduro (05-14-20)
Old 05-14-20, 08:33 AM
ASE
Pole Position

Received 1,027 Likes on 685 Posts

Powerbuilt Alltrade 640912 Black 3 Ton, All-in-One Bottle Jack https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003ULZGFU..._w7mVEb4YFDDDB

... 10% of the Amazon reviews reported fluid leakage and that it would not hold pressure
Old 05-14-20, 08:37 AM
ASE
Pole Position

... 10% of the Amazon reviews reported fluid leakage and that it would not hold pressure ... and these were "out-of-the-box" failures. Does not say much for how this jack will perform at a later time, possibly on the side of the road.

Old 05-14-20, 08:51 AM
skrypj
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ASE
... 10% of the Amazon reviews reported fluid leakage and that it would not hold pressure
Who do you think is more likely to come back and write a reiview about a product? The guy who got one with perfect results and is in his garage working on his car or the guy who got one with a defect and is pissed off? I have two of them that both work perfect and I never wrote a review.

71% of people give it 5 stars. It's rated a 4.3/5 start total. If that's not good enough then you better stop shopping on amazon because you will be lucky to find many products that are rated higher and have no negative reviews.
bbqsoup (05-14-20)
Old 05-14-20, 09:56 AM
ASE
Pole Position

Who do you think is more likely to come back and write a reiview about a product? The guy who got one with perfect results and is in his garage working on his car or the guy who got one with a defect and is pissed off? I have two of them that both work perfect and I never wrote a review.

71% of people give it 5 stars. It's rated a 4.3/5 start total. If that's not good enough then you better stop shopping on amazon because you will be lucky to find many products that are rated higher and have no negative reviews.
... you are completely missing the point.
Old 05-14-20, 12:17 PM
nuclearn8
Instructor

Received 591 Likes on 358 Posts

Coincidental timing for this thread... was in the market for a new floor jack and was eyeing the 4 ton Daytona one at HF for $189... but after @ASE posts, I opted to pull the trigger for only $10 more on this one: https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/NLE7916420 will go pick it up this weekend from the local Napa Auto.
I have these jack stands I plan to use for my power steering flushes to hold the front wheels off the ground:
Amazon Amazon

For the majority of my maintenance I use 4 Rhino Ramps for a bit extra clearance.

Last edited by nuclearn8; 05-14-20 at 12:57 PM.
Old 05-14-20, 05:02 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

If you can afford quality, buy it. If you cant HF isnt bad, just dont be that person who complains after their HF stuff breaks. I think the advice is here is sound thus far. Costco has some good Arcan branded jacks that folks swear by as well if your curious. Depending on regions your local marketplace or neighbors are a good source of old serviceable and stout jacks looking for new homes.

Old 05-14-20, 05:57 PM
ASE
Pole Position

Originally Posted by nuclearn8
Coincidental timing for this thread... was in the market for a new floor jack and was eyeing the 4 ton Daytona one at HF for $189... but after @ASE posts, I opted to pull the trigger for only $10 more on this one: https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/NLE7916420 will go pick it up this weekend from the local Napa Auto.
You will be impressed with the quality of the NAPA floor-jack ... and it passes the ASME PASE-2014 Safety Standard ... and it has a 2-Year Warranty.

Last edited by ASE; 05-14-20 at 06:13 PM.
Old 05-14-20, 09:03 PM
Fringed
Driver

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Old 05-15-20, 07:36 AM
NewB2Lexus
Intermediate

Received 121 Likes on 81 Posts

Be careful, many jacks do not have enough maximum height to lift the GX high enough. I have never measured it but I don't think anything less then 21'' would work. With the low clearance jacks you may need to raise the arm half way before it reaches the frame.

Take out the small scissor lift or buy a cheap one, raise the GX and measure the height from the ground then make sure the jack you buy has enough max height to handle. If you just buy a cheap one in WM or HF you have a good chance it won't work.

I have been using the above mentioned Powerbuilt 3 ton all in one bottle jack for many years without any problems but it won't work on lower vehicles as it won't fit under them. On my other vehicles I use a small scissor lift to raise a few inches then I raise the entire front or back & use stand if I need all 4 wheel off the ground.

Last edited by NewB2Lexus; 05-15-20 at 07:43 AM.
Old 05-15-20, 10:06 AM
ASE
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Fringed
... take it from Billy-Bob (BB) Smith ... he's the expert ... versus ASME certification that the jack meets their safety standards. HF floor jacks are not certified by any standard(s) institution ... none whatsoever ... but hey, they have a 90-day warranty ... just long enough for most owners to use it a couple of times before the warranty runs out ... whoo-hoo

Last edited by ASE; 05-15-20 at 03:16 PM.
Old 05-16-20, 12:24 PM
nuclearn8
Instructor

Received 591 Likes on 358 Posts

New toy is home. It is legit... much sturdier than the craftsman 3 ton it replaced
MarkVII (05-18-20)
Old 05-20-20, 01:13 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,637 Likes on 2,383 Posts

http://japanesenostalgiccar.com/psa-...s-immediately/

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cul...of-collapsing/

HF Jack stand recall now goes back to 2012.

The initial NHTSA recall dated March 20, 2020 affected 6-ton jack stands, model number 61197 We doubt many JNCers have a set of these unless you also own a truck, but on May 3, 2020, the NHTSA added 3-ton jack stands with the model number 56371 or 61196.

We know there’s at least a few of you out there who own a set of these 3-tonners, as Harbor Freight sold 1,254,000 of them and 454,000 of the 6-tonners. Even though the NHTSA suspects the defect only applies to recent production batches and 5 percent of the total number sold, it thought it would be safest just to recall them all.

The suspect stands can be identified by the model numbers on the labels, which may have come off due to age. So if you bought your jack stands at Harbor Freight from late 2012 through the end of 2019 (see the links to NHTSA above for specific dates), stop using them right now.

Quick Reply: Which Harbor Freight hydraulic jack for break & rotor work??