GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

How does the GX do with creaks/rattles?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-20 | 01:33 PM
NewGS22
Rookie

Default How does the GX do with creaks/rattles?

The last 11 years I've been driving 4 door sedans (Altima and a 2015 GS F Sport), before that was my first car (a truck). The Altima was an absolute rattle trap and having owned the GS for the last 16 months, it seems to be similar, albeit not as bad as the Altima. I know it's a sports sedan but I guess I expected more? I've always loved the GX and have been waiting for the right one to pop up near me (low miles and 1-2 years old). We started a family so the GS isn't exactly practical anymore. Maybe I wasn't as sensitive to it then but I never remember my truck having as many rattles as the cars I've owned. Does it have to do with unibody vs body on frame construction? The GS has a front end/dash creak I've posted about in the GS forums that's about ready to drive me over the edge into trading it in for a GX or possibly an LX depending on the deal.

My wife drove my car recently and said she didn't hear anything. I'm obviously more sensitive to rattles and creaks than the normal person. With being sensitive to rattles, how does the GX fair? The cabin obviously doesn't flex nearly as much being body on frame.
Old 05-14-20 | 02:09 PM
bbqsoup
Racer

My GX is 10 years old and there's no squeaks or rattles anywhere on dash, backseat, trunk etc...it rides nice and tight. Usually older cars rattle around the doors and windows when it's rolled down, but it is quiet with the GX. Compares to my wife's Camry, 5 yrs old but very little usage, it's much quieter.
The following 2 users liked this post by bbqsoup:
Acrad (05-14-20), WRD4chano (05-14-20)
Old 05-14-20 | 04:22 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Panels in mine are tight as well. No squeaks or rattles in my '12.
Old 05-14-20 | 04:39 PM
Opaline460
Rookie

No noise at all on my 14
Old 05-14-20 | 05:05 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Every vehicle is designed differently, and the budget on material is different. I`d suggest you get some extended seat time on some bumpy roads and maybe different angled driveways to test the situations you encounter to see whats acceptable to you.

The most commons noise points are usually the barn door latching area, loose tools in the back, or the seat anchor areas if anything.
Old 05-14-20 | 06:01 PM
ASE
Pole Position

Originally Posted by coolsaber
The most commons noise points are usually the barn door latching area, loose tools in the back, or the seat anchor areas if anything.
None whatsoever ... other than the Barn Door Latch ... was the same on the GX470 as well ... dab of grease easily eliminates. Same is true of my FJ Cruiser ... and was the same on a Sequoia and on four past 4-Runners. The body-on-frame Toyota-Lexus vehicles do not squeak, rattle or make noises associated with build integrity ... probably the most solid vehicles I have ever owned ... which is why I (obviously) keep coming back for more.

Last edited by ASE; 05-14-20 at 06:08 PM.
Old 05-14-20 | 08:44 PM
T4Fun
Racer

the seat does make noise sometimes i guess from wearing out of springs inside or what not. im not even heavy so wtf.
heard a squeek a few times insider cabin elsewhere but for most part its gone.
this will be my 2nd and LAST GX unless the next version blows this away which i doubt.
Old 05-14-20 | 08:49 PM
WRD4chano
Advanced

truck is usually silent expect over bumps and potholes (obviously)

my 60 back seat has a slight rickty rickty sound, and i think my rear door hitch thing is making noise but its not enough to bother me. music is usually at 25-30 at which point i dont notice anything.

why a gx though? the rav4'/rx's are a great option the gx drinks fuel like its a sport, that and the outdatedness are my only complaints.
Old 05-14-20 | 09:09 PM
NewGS22
Rookie

Originally Posted by WRD4chano
truck is usually silent expect over bumps and potholes (obviously)

my 60 back seat has a slight rickty rickty sound, and i think my rear door hitch thing is making noise but its not enough to bother me. music is usually at 25-30 at which point i dont notice anything.

why a gx though? the rav4'/rx's are a great option the gx drinks fuel like its a sport, that and the outdatedness are my only complaints.
I actually just had a brand new RX for a loaner. Very very smooth and comfy ride. Great car. Just a little too small. We have a big boy golden retriever who would never fit in the back.
The following users liked this post:
WRD4chano (05-15-20)
Old 05-14-20 | 09:10 PM
NewGS22
Rookie

Originally Posted by T4Fun
the seat does make noise sometimes i guess from wearing out of springs inside or what not. im not even heavy so wtf.
heard a squeek a few times insider cabin elsewhere but for most part its gone.
this will be my 2nd and LAST GX unless the next version blows this away which i doubt.
The Altima and GS both have/had seat squeaks internally. It drove my nuts at first but it sounds like it’s inevitable.
Old 05-15-20 | 05:58 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

You're comparing a GS to GX/RX/truck? The tires on the GS are so thin, that's why a lot of stuff rattles, and the ride is horrible. Not to mention, your shocks are 5 years old, if you haven't replaced them.

The GX is smooth as butter, no question. The RX is the same, albeit it's my wife's car, so I don't drive it as much.
Old 05-15-20 | 11:41 AM
situman
Pole Position

I had a '15 GS350 non f sport, and Eses and RXes and my current GX460 is my fav in terms of noise of lack thereof. No creaks, no rattles no road noise and only whooshing wind noise. I mean its a brick. I love it so much, I'm considering buying it out after the lease ends. I will say, the ride is pretty bz over rough broken pavements, but thats a given since its a BOF truck and freaking heavy. I plan to remedy that with light TRD wheels and thicker sidewall tires if I do buy it.
Old 05-15-20 | 01:08 PM
NewGS22
Rookie

Thank you for the replies. I figured if anyone could tell me what to expect it would be you guys.
Old 05-15-20 | 06:52 PM
JonGX
Intermediate

2014 with 58k and not a single creak or rattle
Old 05-15-20 | 06:55 PM
Statman
Pit Crew

2016 only creak was the back gate latch...just put tape on the receiver hook and now no creaks at all.

Quick Reply: How does the GX do with creaks/rattles?