GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

What all is needed to swap out a Front Passenger side spring?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-20, 07:29 AM
wadeopgh
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default What all is needed to swap out a Front Passenger side spring?

I'm finally getting around to swapping out that front passenger side spring to correct the lean. This would have been done by Lexus under the bulletin L-SB-0041-14 .
Since I'm the second owner of our GX460 and the first owner did not have it done it's on me. Lexus wanted almost $800 to do the job and I feel it really can not be all that hard.
I have experience with changing brakes, rotors, exhaust components, etc, and generally like doing my own repairs when I can.

From what I gathered replacing the spring is not all that hard you will need a spring compressor(tool rental auto zone) and maybe a special slim tool to access the top bolts on the strut assembly.

To all that have done this any tips on what I would need?
Old 05-23-20, 08:17 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,637 Likes on 2,383 Posts

Attached is what FSM shows for removing the shock... disregard the AVS pieces if you don't have adjustable suspension

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Remove Front Shock.pdf (130.7 KB, 181 views)
Old 05-23-20, 03:37 PM
ASE
Pole Position

Received 1,028 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by wadeopgh
I'm finally getting around to swapping out that front passenger side spring to correct the lean. This would have been done by Lexus under the bulletin L-SB-0041-14 .
Since I'm the second owner of our GX460 and the first owner did not have it done it's on me. Lexus wanted almost $800 to do the job and I feel it really can not be all that hard.
I have experience with changing brakes, rotors, exhaust components, etc, and generally like doing my own repairs when I can.

From what I gathered replacing the spring is not all that hard you will need a spring compressor(tool rental auto zone) and maybe a special slim tool to access the top bolts on the strut assembly.

To all that have done this any tips on what I would need?
... Parts + Labor ... You can look up the cost for the Spring ... Labor should be less than 1.5-hours (rounding-up) at their hourly shop rate. To sanity check ... call multiple Lexus Dealerships and have them give you the "book time" for "R&R (Remove-and-Replace) Spring" ... you should get the same answer from all dealerships. Some dealers play with the Labor numbers when (in theory) they should be all working from the same "book time" reference. The only difference between dealers should be the Labor Rate. Spring should be $170-odd ... so $800 quote says they are playing you on the labor side ... or charging you $400 for that "courtesy car wash"

Last edited by ASE; 05-23-20 at 03:44 PM.
Old 05-23-20, 03:54 PM
Coolkjj
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You should try the Timbren Suspension Enhancement System. front and rear. It keeps contact with the front suspension and levels out the truck. Keeps it from roll and best of all level when breaking. I dont know why they are not standard on all GX460. One heavy truck.
Old 05-24-20, 04:08 AM
wadeopgh
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the tips guys, I'll get this done this week and report back.
Old 05-24-20, 08:48 AM
GoHuskers
Racer

Received 165 Likes on 112 Posts

I replaced the original Billy's 4600 shocks on the Tacoma with Billy's 5100 without using the spring compressor. By using the weight of the vehicle and a good floor Jack you can safely compress the spring.

I haven't done it on the gx460 so would love to hear your experience.
Old 05-28-20, 09:22 PM
wadeopgh
Driver School Candidate

Ok well, most of this is going pretty well but I'm getting stuck on the stupid TMPS sensor bolts. First off they are a 4mm hex and strip super easy, the bolt actually looks like it belongs a bike.
I was able to get the visible one-off with vise-grips as it yeah stripped. You have very little room to work with at the top of the strut tower. The tool they recommend using is a 4mm hex wrench, I was able to round up one and it made no difference.

So I'm looking for something to remove this bolt, I have a stripped bold extractor set but they are simply too big.

I'll make a trip to the auto store tomorrow and see if I can round up a small extractor and a couple of replacement bolts.

Old 08-07-20, 02:41 PM
wadeopgh
Driver School Candidate

I wanted to follow up on this thread, I was able to successfully swap out the right passenger spring, the only hard part was reinstalling the sway bar as there is tension on this part not making the easiest to get back on.
After the spring settled couple hours later my lean was back but not as much, the original Lean was .75in now we are about .50in ....

SO I'm kinda puzzled why this still has the lean until I lost some KDSS fluid after returning from a trip.
We went on a trip to Snowshoe WV, the ascent into the mountain lasted about 45min on some very windy roads up and back.
After we got back I noticed a small puddle in my driveway, not really concerned as it was clear looked like water, until it dried and it was pretty dark(on asphalt). I looked around for the leak and found it.
It was leaking from the KDSS fill port (under the driver seat, under the car, you have to remove the metal protective cover to access it ), it has a blue cap with an H on it located between where you adjust the KDSS system.

The cap was tilted almost popped off when I found it, I tightened it up by hand and it stopped dripping. But now I have a KDSS light that comes on after a little while of driving as the system is low on fluid.

BUT the car is pretty much level, I do not see a lean at all to the passenger side, I'm thinking that this KDSS system needed to be adjusted all along and the spring was not the issue(I hope not).

I'm going to start a new thread about getting this KDSS filled up, the saga continues...