GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Why did they remove the power fold mirror switch on the base models?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-20 | 10:47 PM
Lexuss07
Driver

Thumbs down Why did they remove the power fold mirror switch on the base models?

The power fold mirror feature is gone for the 2020 model base and luxury GX. But they kept this feature on the Ultra Luxury GX with leather and power fold third row seat. This feature is a necessity because the mirrors are huge. So now you have to manually fold the mirrors in on vehicles without the power folding mirror feature. Why would Lexus decontent a feature that is so necessary to have?
Old 05-30-20 | 01:17 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Only Lexus can truly answer this. My guess would be to influence new buyers to upgrade to more expensive models.
The following users liked this post:
Lexuss07 (05-30-20)
Old 05-30-20 | 06:19 AM
Lexuss07
Driver

Very good point. So the buyer who always expected to have this feature in the GX as in previous model years no longer has this feature. De-contenting. Standard on every Lexus.
Old 05-30-20 | 05:20 PM
CFAI
Instructor

Originally Posted by Lexuss07
Very good point. So the buyer who always expected to have this feature in the GX as in previous model years no longer has this feature. De-contenting. Standard on every Lexus.
Wow, that is super lame that they just deleted it from the Premium trim. At a min it should be part of an option - maybe with parking assist or blind spot monitoring. It seems strange you can't even opt for leather any more. I never understood the Luxury trim, why should leather be bundled in with auto leveling rear suspension, since the latter is not really about luxury, but for towing. I wonder if they really get more revenue by restricting options (leather, power side mirrors, power 3rd row seats, ML stereo) on GX's without the rear air bags/adaptive suspension? Sure, they push some customers up into the luxury trim, but not all, and I would imagine that many who don't want the full Lux package might opt to buy those features as options for incremental revenue for Lexus. Maybe there is some efficiencies at the factory to reduce complexity in the orders? That was what was nice about the '10-'13 model, you could get most everything, for a price (save for ML stereo for some reason), even if you didn't want the rear airbags/adaptive suspension.

Last edited by CFAI; 05-30-20 at 05:26 PM.
Old 05-31-20 | 07:57 AM
Lexuss07
Driver

That is right about the 2010-2013 models. But this decontenting about removing the necessary power-fold exterior mirrors on the base and premium trims of the 2020 models is scary. Let the buyer be aware, and hope they know when they decide to go and purchase/lease a 20 model.
Old 05-31-20 | 08:29 AM
NewB2Lexus
Intermediate

I think this change may very well backfire on Lexus and may just drive potential buyers to competitors. When we were shopping it boiled down to the GX and the Infinity QX80. I personally would have went with the QX if leather and power folding mirrors would have been only in the highest trim with a bunch of things I didn't need. Not getting the all-around camera view was already a kick down compared to the QX.
This is simply pitiful from Lexus and certainly unexpected when you buy a luxury brand, even when you opt for the base model.
Old 05-31-20 | 08:47 AM
cploy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Lexuss07
The power fold mirror feature is gone for the 2020 model base and luxury GX. But they kept this feature on the Ultra Luxury GX with leather and power fold third row seat. This feature is a necessity because the mirrors are huge. So now you have to manually fold the mirrors in on vehicles without the power folding mirror feature. Why would Lexus decontent a feature that is so necessary to have?
This is one of the reasons I bought a slightly used 2019 Luxury trim CPO versus a new 2020 Premium trim. When you pull up to a narrow street or parking spot, you will say "I wish I have the power folding mirror."
matthew2 (06-01-20)
Old 05-31-20 | 04:38 PM
hzhao
Racer

You also have to look from Lexus perspective, if all rumors are true, Lexus is planing exit this model with the replacement, the logical course of action would be minimize the costs by concentrating on profit while maintain the “Luxury” aspect of GX buyers. I am not saying a pair of power folding mirror actual costs, but production tooling may well been starting to the next replacement or discontinuing the current. Whichever the cases might be, there is enough brains at Lexus won’t remove a pair of power folding mirror from a well established model for no good reasons.
matthew2 (06-01-20)
Old 05-31-20 | 05:42 PM
CFAI
Instructor

Originally Posted by cploy
This is one of the reasons I bought a slightly used 2019 Luxury trim CPO versus a new 2020 Premium trim. When you pull up to a narrow street or parking spot, you will say "I wish I have the power folding mirror."
Its a reason I bought a CPO '13 base last summer. I am not really towing anything, so airbags in back didn't matter to me. But I was able to get a base optioned with the semi aniline leather and they all came with power 3rd row seats (which, really, who cares). Mostly I just preferred the older front grill so I could tell myself that it would be better off road, even though I will probably never take off road.
cploy (06-01-20)
Old 06-01-20 | 10:41 AM
bbqsoup
Racer

This sucks. A luxury car without folding mirrors? I think Lexus is THE only manufacture that did this to their 60k cars.
Old 06-01-20 | 02:29 PM
HotRod2
Driver School Candidate

Had to replace a power mirror on both my LX470 and GS430, don't miss them on my GX.
Old 06-01-20 | 03:57 PM
nebrou
Pole Position

It is interesting to see alot of people in this forum liking the base model with bare bone options. I have mentioned it already many times but I would not really own a GX if it does not come with luxury trim. In-fact, I would love to have every option exists on this car or Lexus lineup or why else am I buying a Lexus?

If I want a bare bone GX without options, I would rather own Toyota 4runner. But even that, I will still likely get it with TRD Pro trim
Old 06-01-20 | 05:36 PM
CFAI
Instructor

Originally Posted by nebrou
It is interesting to see alot of people in this forum liking the base model with bare bone options. I have mentioned it already many times but I would not really own a GX if it does not come with luxury trim. In-fact, I would love to have every option exists on this car or Lexus lineup or why else am I buying a Lexus?

If I want a bare bone GX without options, I would rather own Toyota 4runner. But even that, I will still likely get it with TRD Pro trim
It is all how you look at buying and owning a car. Perhaps for you, not getting the fully loaded version is like getting a pizza from your favorite pizzeria with a few slices missing - disappointing. But for others, it maybe more like making sure they get a really good cheese pie as a base, and then maybe opt for some mushrooms or black olives, but not really wanting to eat or pay for the everything pie . Not really a right answer, and its why there are options.
matthew2 (06-01-20)
Old 06-01-20 | 07:22 PM
HotRod2
Driver School Candidate

For me, I keep cars a long time, just sold my 2005 LX that I owned for 15-years and still own a GS430 that I bought new in 2006. I buy Lexus for the reliability and comfort. I don't waste money on options that I may need a couple times or something that is likely to need repaired in 10 or 15 years. Oh, I normally only get cheese pizza but it's the best in town....
The following 2 users liked this post by HotRod2:
CFAI (06-01-20), matthew2 (06-01-20)
Old 06-01-20 | 08:03 PM
nebrou
Pole Position

Originally Posted by HotRod2
For me, I keep cars a long time, just sold my 2005 LX that I owned for 15-years and still own a GS430 that I bought new in 2006. I buy Lexus for the reliability and comfort. I don't waste money on options that I may need a couple times or something that is likely to need repaired in 10 or 15 years. Oh, I normally only get cheese pizza but it's the best in town....
Ohh boy, let me tell you that you are missing a LOT if you own a car for 15 years. You only live once

I, on the other hand, like to change cars every 2 to 3 years...
GoHuskers (06-01-20)

Quick Reply: Why did they remove the power fold mirror switch on the base models?