GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

3G Wireless Services Update / Enform services EOL on 10.31.2022 for '10-'18 models

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-21, 03:32 PM
boisvert00
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by virtualpj
Bought during their Father's Day sale (which I believe is still going on) and it was ~$240 shipped. Discount shows in cart.

https://www.12volt.solutions/product...5997d7c1&_ss=r
How difficult was the install? I just bought it and I am wondering how DIY this is.
Old 06-28-21, 03:48 PM
virtualpj
Rookie

Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by boisvert00
How difficult was the install? I just bought it and I am wondering how DIY this is.
If you know how to use a panel tool and a screwdriver, it takes about 15 mins. Follow their videos and it’s a difficulty of 1 on a scale of 1-10.
Old 07-03-21, 11:00 AM
boisvert00
Driver School Candidate

If you know how to use a panel tool and a screwdriver, it takes about 15 mins. Follow their videos and it’s a difficulty of 1 on a scale of 1-10.
You were perfectly on target at 15 minutes. Thank you very much for recommending this solution, it worked great!
Old 07-11-21, 04:01 PM
boisvert00
Driver School Candidate

SO after installing the unit, the sonar/radar system goes crazy thinking I am about to hit something on the side of me or in front. I turned it off and all seems to be working at the moment but something I gotta call tech support about.
Old 10-01-21, 02:56 PM
Husky2021
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Angry Agree 100%

Purchased our 2017 RX350 for my wife specifically for all the included safety features as compared to her 2009 Infiniti. The including the connected features were obviously part of our buying decision.we also purchased a Lexus 7 year or 75,000 extended warranty to cover the potential expense of all these luxury and safety features of this car. My wife hates car shopping, so if the car is dependable we normally keep them about 8 years. After receiving the e-mail last year about these connected feature no longer working when the car will only be only 5 years old and still under warranty, I was infuriated. Called The dealer, who of course passed the ball to Lexus only to be told that no additional solutions have been made available at the present time and that basically they had no control on what the network providers did. What a crock of crap, for a company that has made their reputation on customer service, quality, and durability especially in their luxury brand! I found it hard to believe that our 2017 model was using Technology that they must have had some foresight to how long it would last. In our case the 2018 model was upgraded with 4g modems that would not be included in the retirement. Was it just a coincidence that the mobile network and subsequently the cars safety features would work for approx. 4.5 years after the 2017 model was sold and the standard warranty expires in 4 years…….? In our case we have a car still under manufacturer warranty with features and services covered under the warranty. I see no fine print in the $2200 warranty that was sold to us that covers this eventuality. Overall just a very bad customer service issue not to have:

1. Given their dealers better information on how to handle their customer base who would obviously be upset.
2. Had a customer loyalty offer in place based on the model year of your vehicle if a retrofit was not possible and how many years you were at least able to enjoy the services that you had.

Personally, since my wife likes the car otherwise, we would be interested in a retrofit. I have a hard time believing that the 2018 model which is the same body style in the current design cycle (2016 was the first year for this style) could not be made to work in our 2017 model. I think we all know that no major chassis, exterior, or interior body changes are done within the design cycle which is normally 6 or 7 years.

QUOTE=DavoLBC;10926852]I agree with everything you said. It is very close to another post I put up on another thread. at this point I think we need to start contacting government officials because I do believe we are being robbed literally. We were sold a bill of goods and they renegged on products and features that were promised when purchasing the vehicle. I know I would not have purchased it had I known I would lose the app and the other features included with the car infotainment system. I find this to be extremely outrageous. Is Toyota trying to make us mad or others sweat it out and then at the last minute come and save the day with some type of fix that we will have to pay a fortune for or lose it all? This is no way a company can stay in business better yet an extremely large corporation with millions of cars purchased and on US roads. There are government agencies that do watch dog jobs just for crap like this where the consumer is involved and takes a loss on something promised. You shouldn't have to pay a lawyer to go with you to the dealership and work out a contract that suits both you and the manufacturer but cost you almost as much for the lawyer as it does for the vehicle. This is just ridiculous if I had my way no Toyota or Lexus vehicle would ever be allowed to be sold in the United States. Not just because of my anger but because of the millions of people that will be affected as a whole. After reading the response and the Toyota representative saying it's not plug and play and seemed to have no caring for the car owner whatsoever. So call your congressman your senator or email them about this I'm sure they can help us and send us in the right direction this is a federal issue. I don't think they would allow a company to sell a cell phone for $1,200 and then tell you the phone part won't work after 3 months and the data won't work after 18 months. All because they're upgrading technology of course you would be told this after you had already purchased the phone with no refund available. Definitely a federal issue.[/QUOTE]
Old 12-16-21, 08:48 AM
Jorge2017
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy

Originally Posted by DavoLBC
I have contacted them twice once immediately after receiving the email as I have just purchased one of the cars that will be affected. Thanks for the links some I do not have the numbers to. But what do they think the cost of the bad PR is going to be? How many customers will they lose I know I'm one of them. They are creating a nightmare for themselves by offering nothing and their customers losing a whole lot. They have two years to figure out something to make the customers happy because I'm going to sell my car really quick here before it loses its value. I think they could do one of two things or maybe three they could retrofit and get up to date with technology which they have been lacking for the last decade or two they could retrofit for customers and have the customers pay only the cost no profit to be made whatsoever as the technology is not lasting the lifetime of the car. Or three would be another retrofit and install Android auto or Apple CarPlay to take place and their stupid inform system although that doesn't help with the app and all it has to offer which I use often. They can work around it The only question is will they Toyota used to be a great company and they are not anymore. We the customers put our trust in them especially with their luxury version of Lexus only to be let down two years after you purchased a vehicle and a total of four years before much of the technology disappears? I think it would be unheard of and extremely costly should they do nothing.
Thank you for your comments. As a disabled person was the primary reason for my purchase of a 2017 ES 350 was the Enform Suite of features. As it my vehicle approaches the 5 year mark I am about ready to purchase a new car (depending on availability!). Does ToMoCo have any reason to believe that I will buy another Lexus! I have loved this auto but trust has been destroyed. All of this could have been avoided. I am sad to say goodbye Toyota. I wonder is there is a class action lawsuit in the works. Does anyone know about it?

Last edited by Jorge2017; 12-16-21 at 08:52 AM.
Old 12-20-21, 07:50 PM
omnikey
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

I honestly don't know why we are so upset about the Enform service being sunsetted, due to this 3G issue. I have subscribed for 6 years, and it's terrible.
Its barely usable, the app has consistently had the worst reviews.

I renew every year, then kick myself for doing so. If Lexus is good at one thing, its putting us out of our misery.

I have to constantly log into the app, even after you have established authentication via biometrics. Usually, I don't have time to do this, and end up not using the app.
Lately, my app is stating that I am "not authorized to execute remote commands". This is on both Android and iPhone. I called Lexus and was passed around, to wear me out, break my resolve.

I am a software developer, and Lexus has consistently delivered an app that in my business we describe as "User Hostile". Lexus Enform is as bad as it gets. Its a real embarrassment to a company that used to get things right.

Last edited by omnikey; 12-20-21 at 07:57 PM.
The following users liked this post:
SteveInCal (12-22-21)
Old 01-24-22, 06:50 AM
BoogyBear
Driver School Candidate

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Has anyone thought about replacing the whole upper console with one from a newer, donor vehicle? I have seen them sold for as little as $65 coming out of a 2019. I don't have RES+, but if I did, I would probably give it a go.
Attached Thumbnails 3G Wireless Services Update / Enform services EOL on 10.31.2022 for '10-'18 models-console.jpg  
Old 01-24-22, 06:57 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 3,672 Likes on 2,402 Posts

A new Telematics transceiver would be needed as well.. MSRP around $1200. Likely wiring changes and then vehicle VIN would need to be programmed into it somehow..... I suppose possible VIN is also used for inclusion/exclusion from being able to use Enform as well server-side.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...l#post10891576
Old 01-24-22, 04:47 PM
arags
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I am curious as to what functionality is really lost. I hazard a guess that we would lose:
  • Navigation
  • SOS button
Is there anything I am missing like an automatic SOS call if airbags are deployed or something?

I am not surprised with technology changing so fast that anything tech will be outdated in 2-3 years. I wonder if it makes sense to rely mostly on aftermarket stuff for technology? The enform suite really sucks, but i had a honda pilot before and they are really not that much better either. Either way, unless you plan to switch your car every 3 years ( which is what i usually do for my computer/other electronics) I think this will be chasing the proverbial tail.

I am thinking of a few things and I wonder how folks feel about them
  • I plan to have an Ipad mounted instead of ever using something like enform suite ( ugly I know, but highly functional ). The standard head unit is primarily for system functions and nothing else. Even the navigation sucks since it costs about %169 to upgrade what's free via Google Maps or Waze. I know that some folks are installing carplay either via beatsonic style or the complete head unit itself via the phoenix style devices and thats another option to keep the newest tech.
  • Obviously, folks have already found options for remote start including using an app-based approach
  • I was just looking at a few options for emergencies and came across these options
    • https://www.onstar.com/us/en/guardian-app. Onstar on a mobile app ( harken back to the ipad )
    • for our RX brethren look at comma.ai ...
    • If we had enough folks here we could perhaps get the comma.ai folks to come up with something for the GX too and maybe have it include some auto accident detection ? see here https://comma.ai/services
    • Something like this
      Amazon Amazon
      which also has a sort of SOS button and an annual subscription, still cheaper in the long run than a retrofit?

Finally, I don't condone the behavior of the manufacturer, but I think it's kind of inevitable given the different temporal scales the lifetime of auto vs tech . I personally bought my GX with the thought that it will last me 15+ years from a mechanical standpoint and work reliably towing/off roading even at 200K or 300K miles as long as I maintain the mechanical components (as also I would definitely buy the V8 LX or Sequoia --not quite sure how i feel about the TTV6 reliability yet). I would not buy a Land Rover, BMW or Chevy Tahoe, Ford F-150 thinking they would last half that long, the latest tech they have today will be obsolete in 3-4 years and then you are stuck with reliability issues as well.

Last edited by arags; 01-24-22 at 04:51 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Bewill (07-09-23)
Old 01-24-22, 04:59 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

The following services will be terminated. 2010-2015 (Safety Connect and Destination Assist) while all 4 bullets for 16-18 models.
  • Lexus Enform Safety Connect including Automatic Collision Notification, Enhanced Roadside Assistance, Emergency Assistance Button and Stolen Vehicle Locator
  • Lexus Enform Remote including Remote Engine Start/Stop, Door Lock/Unlock, Vehicle Finder, Guest Driver Monitor, Vehicle Status and Alerts, Key Fob Remote Start, and Integration with Alexa® and The Google Assistant
  • Lexus Enform Destination Assist including 24-hour live response center agent
  • Lexus Enform Service Connect including Vehicle Health Report, Vehicle Alerts, and Maintenance Alerts
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...l#post10824981
Old 01-24-22, 05:15 PM
arags
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I can get the utility of theAutomatic Collision Detection and that's the only key drawback AFAICS
The other stuff, wonder how useful everyone finds it ? Remote start I get, but thats an easy fix with the 12volt or other aftermarket solution correct?

Finally, most of these services you need to pay for anyways so ??
Originally Posted by Acrad
The following services will be terminated. 2010-2015 (Safety Connect and Destination Assist) while all 4 bullets for 16-18 models.
  • Lexus Enform Safety Connect including Automatic Collision Notification, Enhanced Roadside Assistance, Emergency Assistance Button and Stolen Vehicle Locator
  • Lexus Enform Remote including Remote Engine Start/Stop, Door Lock/Unlock, Vehicle Finder, Guest Driver Monitor, Vehicle Status and Alerts, Key Fob Remote Start, and Integration with Alexa® and The Google Assistant
  • Lexus Enform Destination Assist including 24-hour live response center agent
  • Lexus Enform Service Connect including Vehicle Health Report, Vehicle Alerts, and Maintenance Alerts
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...l#post10824981
Old 01-26-22, 06:05 AM
L3xusGX
Pit Crew

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by omnikey
I honestly don't know why we are so upset about the Enform service being sunsetted, due to this 3G issue. I have subscribed for 6 years, and it's terrible.
Its barely usable, the app has consistently had the worst reviews.

I renew every year, then kick myself for doing so. If Lexus is good at one thing, its putting us out of our misery.

I have to constantly log into the app, even after you have established authentication via biometrics. Usually, I don't have time to do this, and end up not using the app.
Lately, my app is stating that I am "not authorized to execute remote commands". This is on both Android and iPhone. I called Lexus and was passed around, to wear me out, break my resolve.

I am a software developer, and Lexus has consistently delivered an app that in my business we describe as "User Hostile". Lexus Enform is as bad as it gets. Its a real embarrassment to a company that used to get things right.
We were informed about two apps when taking delivery of our Lexus: Lexus App and the Lexus Enform App Suite. The sales person made it clear the Lexus Enform App Suite was garbage and the ONLY app we should install was the Lexus App. If it helps, the Lexus App has work fairly well over the past year that we have utilized it.
Old 01-27-22, 03:10 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 887 Likes on 615 Posts

I may have missed this, what provider is Lexus using?

In my security system business, AT&T is expiring at the end of February but Verizon is good for another year.
Old 01-27-22, 03:13 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Many say Verizon..

Quick Reply: 3G Wireless Services Update / Enform services EOL on 10.31.2022 for '10-'18 models