GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

3G Wireless Services Update / Enform services EOL on 10.31.2022 for '10-'18 models

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-20, 11:21 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 3,672 Likes on 2,402 Posts
Exclamation 3G Wireless Services Update / Enform services EOL on 10.31.2022 for '10-'18 models

••List of all automakers affected

https://www.lexus.com/enform/pricing

"Certain telecommunications providers have elected to discontinue 3G wireless services by the end of 2022, affecting select 2010-2018 Lexus Vehicles reliant on this network to provide Lexus Enform subscription services. As of October 31, 2022, at 11:59 PM CST, Lexus Enform Safety Connect, Destination Assist, Remote, and Service Connect subscription services will be discontinued on select 2010-2018 vehicles."

https://lexus2.custhelp.com/app/answ...=190,1594,1752

What is happening?
As wireless technology continues to evolve, telecommunications providers in North America are making significant changes to their legacy communications infrastructures and network capabilities. Certain telecommunications providers have elected to terminate 3G wireless services, which will impact available services for motor vehicles. This affects certain 2010-2018 Lexus Vehicles reliant on these 3G networks to provide Lexus Enform subscription services.

Why is this happening?
Telecommunications providers are discontinuing 3G services in favor of newer and more advanced LTE networks. Although these circumstances were created by factors beyond our control, we sincerely regret any inconvenience this may cause.

How does this impact Lexus vehicles?
As of October 31, 2022, at 11:59PM CST, the following available Lexus Enform subscription services will be terminated on select 2010-2018 vehicles:
  • Lexus Enform Safety Connect including Automatic Collision Notification, Enhanced Roadside Assistance, Emergency Assistance Button and Stolen Vehicle Locator
  • Lexus Enform Remote including Remote Engine Start/Stop, Door Lock/Unlock, Vehicle Finder, Guest Driver Monitor, Vehicle Status and Alerts, Key Fob Remote Start, and Integration with AlexaŽ and The Google Assistant
  • Lexus Enform Destination Assist including 24-hour live response center agent
  • Lexus Enform Service Connect including Vehicle Health Report, Vehicle Alerts, and Maintenance Alerts

Can I still take advantage of available trials and/or renew my Lexus Enform subscription?
Starting September 1, 2021, available Lexus Enform subscription services will only be offered on a month-to-month basis for impacted vehicles. Through the Lexus app, you can subscribe to or renew your available Lexus Enform subscription services through September 30, 2022. Any active Lexus Enform subscription services will be terminated as of October 31, 2022 at 11:59PM CST.

What will happen to existing Enform subscriptions on November 1, 2022?
Any active Lexus Enform subscription services will be terminated as of October 31, 2022 at 11:59PM CST.

What happens if I am involved in a collision or require emergency services on or after November 1, 2022?
Safety ConnectŽ will no longer function as of October 31, 2022 at 11:59PM CST. As of that date, Automatic Collision Notification, Enhanced Roadside Assistance, Emergency Assistance Button and Stolen Vehicle Locator will no longer be available.

What will happen to existing Safety ConnectŽ subscriptions on November 1, 2022?
Any unused portion of an affected paid subscription service will be refunded at a prorated amount. These refunds will begin on November 1, 2022.

Will there be any impact to Lexus Enform App Suite functionality?
No, Lexus Enform App Suite does not require the vehicle’s 3G network. There is no app activation fee or monthly recurring fees; however, registration in the app is required. The Lexus Enform App Suite relies on your smartphone data plan, and carrier charges may apply. Using your compatible smartphone, the Lexus Enform App Suite offers access to certain mobile applications through your vehicle’s multimedia display.

If my vehicle is involved with the Limited Service Campaign for Safety Connect System – Vehicle Location Inaccurate, what should I do?
On September 12, 2019, Lexus launched a Limited Service Campaign, which involved the Data Communication Module (DCM) in subject vehicles that is equipped with software to identify the vehicles’ location using the Global Positioning System (GPS) to support features of the Safety Connect system*. Due to incorrect programming in the DCM software, after November 2, 2019, the GPS coordinates for this system can no longer be calculated correctly. This causes the system to use incorrect vehicle coordinates if one of the system’s features is activated.
If you have not completed the above Limited Service Campaign, any authorized Lexus dealer will perform the software update FREE OF CHARGE to you. Please contact your authorized Lexus dealer to make an appointment to have the software update performed.

Last edited by Acrad; 01-16-22 at 01:10 PM.
Old 06-14-20, 07:46 AM
nuclearn8
Instructor

Received 616 Likes on 371 Posts

interesting and thank you for sharing.... glad I don't rely on or subscribe to this service.
Makes me wander how ToMoCo/Lexus (and other manufcaturers) will use or rely on this sort of communication services in the future.... also curious if they'll retrofit vehicles to be 5G comliant
Old 06-14-20, 08:01 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

I have a Safety Connect subscription but that is only thing my system can do besides Destination Assist.

I had wondered if this was going to occur as of last summer. I read original turn down date for 3G was 2019 on Verizon but a 3 year extension occurred due to all devices in use in things like semi tracking, etc.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...me-models.html

I am not seeing retrofit discussions at this time but who knows what the future beholds.

As a consolation for '16-18 owners I wonder if they can give them local remote start like '10-'15 w/RES?

A few Enform related threads
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...-services.html
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...gn-anyone.html
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...who-cares.html

Last edited by Acrad; 06-14-20 at 08:06 AM.
The following users liked this post:
MrTorgue (10-01-21)
Old 06-14-20, 03:09 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 887 Likes on 615 Posts

Maybe it will be effective after the cut off date but not guaranteed to work. Dealing with home security systems, 4G radios made by Honeywell were no longer allowed to be activated as of a year ago. I had a customer cancel security system monitoring the 4G radio and then changed her mind but I had to replace it with LTE due to the radio is no longer supported.

Why was Lexus still using 3G in the 2018 model?
The following 2 users liked this post by tecman:
Acrad (06-14-20), DavoLBC (09-14-20)
Old 06-14-20, 03:19 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

I think it is a service termination among all cell providers.

'19 article
https://www.fleetequipmentmag.com/yo...the-3g-sunset/

"Cellular provider commercials are announcing the coming of 5G, and that means that 3G networks need to get out of the way to meet ever-increasing cellular bandwidth demands. While Verizon Wireless, the U.S.’s biggest cellular network provider, will be the first to shut down its 3G service on Dec. 31, the company has been able to extend 3G service for its commercial Verizon Connect customers. AT&T will sunset its 3G in 2022, with T-Mobile yet to announce a sunset date. Rather than wait to be asked: Can you hear me now? And have to answer: Nope, now is the time to take stock of what telematics devices will need replaced when the 3G network rides into the sunset."“We believe that well over 50% of the devices in use are using 3G technology,” said Andrew Dondlinger, vice president and general manager of connected services with Navistar. “Most fleets don’t change telematics hardware unless they have to.”

“Of approximately 2 million trucks (highway or vocational) and 1 million-plus trailers with connected GPS tracking in service, I’d estimate that approximately 80% are still using 3G, AT&T or T-Mobile, or CDMA from Verizon or Sprint,” said Colin Sutherland, executive vice president of Geotab. “This includes the majority of the AOBRD solutions that truck fleets may have purchased in 2017 or early 2018 that are 3G or CDMA.”

“Research firms have estimated that number to be around 80%, when you look at the full mobility landscape utilized by modern transportation companies today,” agreed Paul Nagy, chief product officer at Omnitracs.

Oof. That’s a lot of devices. And your fleet probably has quite a few of them. While you’ll have to contact your telematics provider to be certain, John Binder, director of wireless operations for Trimble Transportation, provided this rule of thumb:

“Generally speaking, any telematics devices installed before 2017 will likely rely on older 2G and 3G technology.”
DavoLBC (09-15-20)
Old 06-14-20, 03:28 PM
cb1111
Lead Lap

Received 147 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by tecman
Maybe it will be effective after the cut off date but not guaranteed to work. Dealing with home security systems, 4G radios made by Honeywell were no longer allowed to be activated as of a year ago. I had a customer cancel security system monitoring the 4G radio and then changed her mind but I had to replace it with LTE due to the radio is no longer supported.

Because it was essentially free.
3G was supposed to be EOL in 17, then 19 but was extended because some government legacy systems rely on the services. Problem is, the vendors (AT&T, T-Mo, VZW, Sprint) haven't been buying replacement bits, so when a part breaks, they get a used part from a region that has lower demand for the services, so the service area is shrinking - even if it is still technically "up and running".

Old 07-26-20, 07:22 PM
Joeytoylex
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts
Unhappy 2018 GX460 Enform question

I just purchased a 2018 gx460 and was reading that in October 2022 Lexus has no option but to discontinue the use of safety connect, remote, and other features that require 3g connectivity. I was doing some research and saw that there was a module lexus was installing on 2014-2016 to update from 2g to 3g. Has anyone had this experience with their 14-16 Lexus? I do not want to lose the remote start feature from my phone but guess will.
Old 07-26-20, 07:43 PM
istundra
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Install aftermarket remote start, compustar and use the Drone App for remote access.
Old 09-13-20, 10:32 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Probably cost prohibitive for them to replace these ECUs with an updated version but wouldn't hurt to contact Lexus about retrofit options.

https://www.lexus.com/contact

Telematic Transceivers (2010-2018)

This appears to be the 2019+ version
Old 09-14-20, 10:05 PM
DavoLBC
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tecman

Why why were they using 3G in 2010?!? This has been legacy for a decade. Does Lexus never think ahead I thought they were in the pursuit I guess they will always be in the pursuit which leaves us behind.
Old 09-15-20, 05:33 PM
klinquist
Pit Crew

Received 104 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Acrad
Probably cost prohibitive for them to replace these ECUs with an updated version but wouldn't hurt to contact Lexus about retrofit options.

https://www.lexus.com/contact

Telematic Transceivers (2010-2018)

This appears to be the 2019+ version

Dang... I’d pay $1200 for the new unit to keep this service after 2022...
I’m sure they would need to update some VIN-to-IMEI database table...
DavoLBC (09-15-20)
Old 09-15-20, 05:45 PM
DavoLBC
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by klinquist
Dang... I’d pay $1200 for the new unit to keep this service after 2022...
I’m sure they would need to update some VIN-to-IMEI database table...
I have contacted them twice once immediately after receiving the email as I have just purchased one of the cars that will be affected. Thanks for the links some I do not have the numbers to. But what do they think the cost of the bad PR is going to be? How many customers will they lose I know I'm one of them. They are creating a nightmare for themselves by offering nothing and their customers losing a whole lot. They have two years to figure out something to make the customers happy because I'm going to sell my car really quick here before it loses its value. I think they could do one of two things or maybe three they could retrofit and get up to date with technology which they have been lacking for the last decade or two they could retrofit for customers and have the customers pay only the cost no profit to be made whatsoever as the technology is not lasting the lifetime of the car. Or three would be another retrofit and install Android auto or Apple CarPlay to take place and their stupid inform system although that doesn't help with the app and all it has to offer which I use often. They can work around it The only question is will they Toyota used to be a great company and they are not anymore. We the customers put our trust in them especially with their luxury version of Lexus only to be let down two years after you purchased a vehicle and a total of four years before much of the technology disappears? I think it would be unheard of and extremely costly should they do nothing.
matthew2 (12-20-21)
Old 09-16-20, 07:53 AM
klinquist
Pit Crew

Received 104 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by DavoLBC
I have contacted them twice once immediately after receiving the email as I have just purchased one of the cars that will be affected. Thanks for the links some I do not have the numbers to. But what do they think the cost of the bad PR is going to be? How many customers will they lose I know I'm one of them. They are creating a nightmare for themselves by offering nothing and their customers losing a whole lot. They have two years to figure out something to make the customers happy because I'm going to sell my car really quick here before it loses its value. I think they could do one of two things or maybe three they could retrofit and get up to date with technology which they have been lacking for the last decade or two they could retrofit for customers and have the customers pay only the cost no profit to be made whatsoever as the technology is not lasting the lifetime of the car. Or three would be another retrofit and install Android auto or Apple CarPlay to take place and their stupid inform system although that doesn't help with the app and all it has to offer which I use often. They can work around it The only question is will they Toyota used to be a great company and they are not anymore. We the customers put our trust in them especially with their luxury version of Lexus only to be let down two years after you purchased a vehicle and a total of four years before much of the technology disappears? I think it would be unheard of and extremely costly should they do nothing.
I don't think there will be any bad PR.
It would certainly not be unheard of and costly for them to do nothing.

Technology changes. Most of the world now recognizes this. The system was probably designed in 2008 and implemented for the 2010 model year. See how well a smart phone from 2008 works for you.

I will be bummed, and would be willing to spend money on a retrofit, but I do not expect anything.
Old 09-24-20, 02:45 PM
lfour25
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DavoLBC
Just a few months ago I traded in my RX350 (that I loved) for a NX200t (that I only kind of like) specifically because I wanted remote start. I am extremely frustrated I just got rid of a car I loved with the belief this new one would have a feature that was extremely important to me for many years. I understand that the 3G service situation is not within Lexus's control, but at the very least they need to make basic features like remote start work on these vehicles. I am going to have faith that they will do something to keep customers happy. If not, it will be time to find a new company to buy vehicles from.
Old 09-25-20, 05:22 AM
Lexuss07
Driver

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by lfour25
Just a few months ago I traded in my RX350 (that I loved) for a NX200t (that I only kind of like) specifically because I wanted remote start. I am extremely frustrated I just got rid of a car I loved with the belief this new one would have a feature that was extremely important to me for many years. I understand that the 3G service situation is not within Lexus's control, but at the very least they need to make basic features like remote start work on these vehicles. I am going to have faith that they will do something to keep customers happy. If not, it will be time to find a new company to buy vehicles from.
I posted this also in the ES 2013-2018 Forum under the same topic: View Post
The person to contact and is responsible for this discontinuation of this 3G service is Shaun Yzquierdo at Lexus Corporate in Plano TX. He is responsible for these connected technologies, and he would best be able to help you. This is from a trusted, reliable source. I don't have his direct contact info though.
matthew2 (12-20-21)

Quick Reply: 3G Wireless Services Update / Enform services EOL on 10.31.2022 for '10-'18 models