GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

2021 GX Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-20, 01:19 AM
Questtt3
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Been debating whether to take advantage of current Lexus Golden Opportunity sale with a 2020 or wait for 2021. As we plan to hold onto this vehicle for a very long time, really wanted Apple CarPlay. I was speaking with a salesman today via email and was told 2021 would still not have Apple CP. I admit I was rather surprised as it seemed like it was an obvious upgrade and should in fact have been added long before this as it seems to be available now in almost every other Toyota/Lexus vehicle (even 4R got it this past year). If true, very disappointing. Given what has been written here...really leaves one wondering what if anything will be new on 2021s? With $4K Lexus Cash now, is there any reason to wait for 2021 or December to Remember sale which I don't ever recall being as good as current sale for GXs.

Tough call - 2020 GX Premium with $4K Lexus Cash and hopefully close to invoice now . . . or 2021 next month or November/December with whatever offered in December to Remember sale. Like was done with past RXs and others...will 2021s be upgradeable to Apple CP?
Old 08-11-20, 08:11 AM
csrpenfab
Pit Crew

Received 90 Likes on 45 Posts

I understand your frustration with no CarPlay. I was in the same dilemma when I bought my 2019 GX in November for a hefty discount and 0%. The vehicle I was getting out of was a Honda Ridgeline that had CarPlay. It was only wired CarPlay, so I really didn't use it much. I set up my GX with a wireless charging mount for my Iphone and I don't miss the CarPlay much. Now if they offered wireless CarPlay, I may be interested.
Old 08-11-20, 02:51 PM
louscrw
Rookie

Received 58 Likes on 12 Posts

What is it about ACP that people want it? My wife’s BMW has ACP, but I still don’t understand the benefit. Is it just the navigation and waze type apps people like to use?
The following users liked this post:
TheHighLow (09-04-20)
Old 08-11-20, 03:40 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by louscrw
What is it about ACP that people want it? My wife’s BMW has ACP, but I still don’t understand the benefit. Is it just the navigation and waze type apps people like to use?
Ease of use and no expiration date on the map and route data (unlike the built in system). In addition I assume to accommodate the software Lexus would finally have to bump up the hardware specs and software specs to at least Gen 11 (nicer interface and snappier interactions) which brings in the prospect of higher resolution touchscreens into the mix.

Old 08-11-20, 05:02 PM
Questtt3
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by csrpenfab
I understand your frustration with no CarPlay. I was in the same dilemma.....
Thanks csrpenfab . . . yes, it is a bit frustrating. I used to think such things as infotainment systems were sort of inconsequential...but given all the seamless hands free communication benefits and other significant uses it is really nice to have. In addition, Apple Carplay will ... bkz works off the iPhone...keep apps, maps and other tools current unlike manufacturer industry car functions.

Originally Posted by coolsaber
Ease of use and no expiration date on the map and route data (unlike the built in system). In addition I assume to accommodate the software Lexus would finally have to bump up the hardware specs and software specs to at least Gen 11 (nicer interface and snappier interactions) which brings in the prospect of higher resolution touchscreens into the mix.
Yes, exactly . . . it is mystifying how Toyota updates it's Toyota branded vehicles (even 4R received Apple Carplay last year) and yet keeps essentially the same 10 year old infotainment tech in their luxury branded Lexus vehicles (GX has had essentially the same screen and infotainment technology since 2010). It's not a major change like swapping out an engine (love the reliable V8)...it is simply swapping out a small drop in "computer". Really does not make sense and hurts them as it is an easy way to at least appear more current (GX reviewers constant "outdated" gripe of GX)...frustrating.
Old 08-11-20, 05:36 PM
hzhao
Racer

Received 987 Likes on 571 Posts

Originally Posted by Questtt3
Thanks csrpenfab . . . yes, it is a bit frustrating. I used to think such things as infotainment systems were sort of inconsequential...but given all the seamless hands free communication benefits and other significant uses it is really nice to have. In addition, Apple Carplay will ... bkz works off the iPhone...keep apps, maps and other tools current unlike manufacturer industry car functions.

Yes, exactly . . . it is mystifying how Toyota updates it's Toyota branded vehicles (even 4R received Apple Carplay last year) and yet keeps essentially the same 10 year old infotainment tech in their luxury branded Lexus vehicles (GX has had essentially the same screen and infotainment technology since 2010). It's not a major change like swapping out an engine (love the reliable V8)...it is simply swapping out a small drop in "computer". Really does not make sense and hurts them as it is an easy way to at least appear more current (GX reviewers constant "outdated" gripe of GX)...frustrating.
Not exactly true and faulty on Lexus, in fact, beginning 2018 model year, Lexus has been offering CarPlay option, includes retrofitting some of the models. As of now, if memory serves me correct, only two models that does not offer CarPlay are GX and LX. From Lexus point of view, the decision for CarPlay offering is largely based on models demographics. GX and LX have clearly been focused and emphasized for its “true utility” basis. For granted, CarPlay for GX and LX is certainly something will be nice to have, rather the necessity for what Lexus has in mind. As CarPlay become something like bluetooth in coming days, I am sure it will certainly became part of the offering. Which reminds me the history of Lexus, they are never was the first one to offer GPS, nor the first one to off Bluetooth. I have been owning the Lexus since 1993, The first Lexus that I had with OEM GPS was my 2000 GS, at that time, other manufacturing has been offering GPS for couple years. Then the entire GX470 never had bluetooth until 2010 GX460 arrived, but other manufacturers have already implemented bluetooth in the car for years even there was not many bluetooth enabled phones on the market. Lexus never wins the hi-tech departments, but always at the top for their quality, reliability, and craftsmanship for what they do the best. If I want a car filled with most up to date technologies and gadgets, I will s hoping for a German car, but expecting to visit dealer service department on a monthly basis. But if I want a car that is reliable, comfortable, and with great dealer/customer relationship, I choose Lexus.
Old 08-11-20, 05:55 PM
CFAI
Instructor

Received 330 Likes on 225 Posts

I think both are true. It is probably very expensive for them to change the head unit to accept car-play, esp for only a year or two more of this generation, and it can also be frustrating to some potential buyers to not have the option in new GXs. Of course, it may be that GX demand is not really elastic to having car play or not, but maybe it is. Given that car play is in the 4Runner and will be in the Prado, it doesn't seem like an unreasonable demand/want to have it in the new GX. Also, I gotta figure that anyone who is on this GX forum, all else equal, trades off info tech for greater reliability - but that doesn't mean that car play wouldn't solve many of the infotainment shortcomings and future proof it - which is even more important for Lexus drivers who care about longevity. For me, I will have to make due with the '13 GX infotech (which for some reason won't register my iPhone argh! - but I still love the truck)
Old 08-11-20, 07:38 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

https://newsroom.lexus.eu/three-deca...rsts-by-lexus/

Decades of world first tech in the Lexus Wheelhouse. I think the simple state of affairs is that TMC has left Lexus by the wayside (For anyone interested, Lexus was due to introduce a monster V8TT motor for their LC-F, and after nearing final validation on their racing team its been rumored to been shelved). The LX is being upgraded quite soon (last MY should be MY21) so it makes sense to leave that model out of the upgrades on the infotainment side. The GX on the other hand is scheduled to be in production till at least MY23.......

The problem with TMC is that their team that designs the infotainment varies from market to market. For instance the ES team that designs the current US infotainment is unable to provide Android Auto to headunits made before a certain build date, while in the International markets (Australia and Spain) its a simple software update free of charge. I assume the same fragmentation that leads to issues like this in other models exists with the GX/150 cousins.

I love the reliability that the GX offers, but I dont get why introducing a new head unit would take away from the core principles of the GX has as a "true utility" vehicle?

Last edited by coolsaber; 08-11-20 at 07:42 PM.
Old 08-11-20, 08:39 PM
Questtt3
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by hzhao
Not exactly true and faulty on Lexus, in fact, beginning 2018 model year, Lexus has been offering CarPlay option, includes retrofitting some of the models. As of now, if memory serves me correct, only two models that does not offer CarPlay are GX and LX. ....................... If I want a car filled with most up to date technologies and gadgets, I will s hoping for a German car, but expecting to visit dealer service department on a monthly basis. But if I want a car that is reliable, comfortable, and with great dealer/customer relationship, I choose Lexus.
Thanks for your reply...as far as "faulty" I simply made a typo error that altered meaning somewhat . . . I wrote:

:...and yet keeps essentially the same 10 year old infotainment tech in their luxury branded Lexus vehicles (GX has had essentially the same screen and infotainment technology since 2010)."

I had intended to write "VEHICLE" not "VEHICLES" as you can see by parentheticals I was referring specifically to the GX having essentially the same infotainment tech since 2010 (and yes...LX has the same issue). However, respectfully, I don't think wanting a somewhat more up todate infotainment monitor precludes one from appreciating all the other positive aspects of a GX in favor of a German vehicle...after-all this only references a "monitor"...this is not a complaint against gas mileage, V8 and its naturally aspirated engine (I personally love this engine), suspension, interior specs and appointments, 6 speed transmission or any of the many other aspects reviewers consistently harp on. In these cases where the essence of the vehicle is being questioned your point about looking elsewhere is more understandable. If you watch or read comments by GX aficionados in response to current reviews, the number one complaint is the GX infotainment system. The GX is an outstanding vehicle on so many levels...never called that into question. But clearly Toyota themselves recognize the value in upgrading their infotainment systems or else they would not have done so with their other Lexus vehicles (even retroactively in an earlier RX model year) ...they even upgraded their GX related Prado and 4Runner. It is therefore reasonable to hope they would do so with their GX (...and LX).
Old 08-11-20, 08:49 PM
Questtt3
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by coolsaber
https://newsroom.lexus.eu/three-deca...rsts-by-lexus/
I love the reliability that the GX offers, but I dont get why introducing a new head unit would take away from the core principles of the GX has as a "true utility" vehicle?
Yes . . . I agree.
Old 08-12-20, 04:36 AM
hzhao
Racer

Received 987 Likes on 571 Posts

@Questtt3 Your points are well taken.
Old 08-12-20, 10:28 AM
Questtt3
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by hzhao
@Questtt3 Your points are well taken.
Thank you hzhao...I appreciate it.
As an aside, I have found your input re: the GX and LX very helpful both here on ClubLexus and in the comment sections of past YouTube reviews...thanks.
Old 08-13-20, 12:40 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 3,671 Likes on 2,401 Posts

Brochure is now live.

• Looks like you can get ML and powered 3rd row on a Premium now with Premium Plus
• Heated Steering wheel available on Premium
• Fire Agate Pearl gone

https://www.lexus.com/documents/broc...X-Brochure.pdf

Last edited by Acrad; 08-13-20 at 12:46 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Acrad:
clearmysix (08-14-20), coolsaber (08-13-20), Questtt3 (08-13-20)
Old 08-13-20, 12:51 PM
CFAI
Instructor

Received 330 Likes on 225 Posts

The premium trim with ML. I think would be the sweet spot for me. I wonder how much that will be. I think I would skip the power third row seats in the premium plus option). The main thing I hate about our '13 GX base, other than the headlights, is the stock stereo. To me, it sounds pretty terrible. We have the base stereo in our '07 IS250 and it has much better sound than the GX.

Last edited by CFAI; 08-13-20 at 12:52 PM. Reason: Remove quote
Old 08-13-20, 01:51 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

interesting mixup of packages. It does mean the Luxury trim will be more offroad focused for the interim (MTS/CC and the cameras) while the premium plus is now taking up as the popular nordstrom/mall crawler choice.

I guess we shall see next year if they finally add in those Prado changes
The following users liked this post:
CFAI (08-13-20)

Quick Reply: 2021 GX Discussion