GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Steering wheel creak/rattle/other noises

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-20, 05:01 PM
ObsidianBl
Advanced

Received 195 Likes on 129 Posts

I’m thinking @maduro might be right. It might be the clockspring. I’m getting a slight rattle sound going in either direction. It’s not loud but can be heard when the music is off.

It sounds like a kids toy rattle with the little beads inside.

I haven’t taken the vehicle in yet. I only have about a few weeks left of warranty.
Old 08-08-20, 06:25 PM
nuclearn8
Instructor

Received 605 Likes on 366 Posts

I think I heard this today on our road trip... was faint and I kept trying to push on the plastic to see if it would stop, never did... no idea what a clock spring is but have 2 more long days behind the wheel to pay more attention....
Steering wheels controls all still work correctly though.

Last edited by nuclearn8; 08-08-20 at 06:28 PM.
Old 08-08-20, 06:43 PM
ObsidianBl
Advanced

Originally Posted by nuclearn8
I think I heard this today on our road trip... was faint and I kept trying to push on the plastic to see if it would stop, never did... no idea what a clock spring is but have 2 more long days behind the wheel to pay more attention....
Steering wheels controls all still work correctly though.
Leave the vehicle in Park and turn off the ventilated seats and radio. Turn the wheel full lock each way and the noise should present itself.

My steering wheel controls still work and don’t have any problems registering button presses.

Old 08-10-20, 09:00 AM
maduro
Driver School Candidate

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

If you look at Acrad's last diagram......see the "spiral spring assembly"? That is the clock spring.
Old 08-11-20, 06:22 AM
nuclearn8
Instructor

I'm waiting to hear what the dealership says to @ObsidianBl . I thought I heard it on my recent road trip... in fact, I know I did but then it went away and didn't happen. It's a real light tapping / clicking sound... mine happens whether I'm turning or not... all my steering wheels controls work... I have some time left on my warranty so not rushing to get anything looked at right now with Covid that isn't absolutely critical to the vehicles performance or safety, right now everything works with no malfunction lights on, it's just a faint, random noise at this point.

Last edited by nuclearn8; 08-11-20 at 08:55 AM.
Old 08-21-20, 03:07 PM
ObsidianBl
Advanced

@nuclearn8
I took it into the service department today. As luck would have it, they could not duplicate my concerns. I do have it saved on video and the noise can be heard.

I got 2 weeks left on the 4 year/50k. I heard it driving away from the service department, but ran out of time to bring it back. I'll have to bring it back sometime next week when one of their diagnostic experts are in. I'll keep you posted.
The following users liked this post:
nuclearn8 (08-21-20)
Old 11-09-20, 06:51 AM
ObsidianBl
Advanced

Update;
Spiral cable is the culprit.

My warranty expired back in September and now I’m waiting for lexus to get back to me to see if they’ll cover it.
nuclearn8 (11-09-20)
Old 11-09-20, 08:31 AM
nuclearn8
Instructor

Originally Posted by ObsidianBl
Update;
Spiral cable is the culprit.

My warranty expired back in September and now I’m waiting for lexus to get back to me to see if they’ll cover it.
Thanks for the follow up. I take mine in on Wednesday for annual inspection and brake system flush... and was going to open a warranty ticket for this issue and some wind buffeting I'm hearing at the top of the driver side door.
If I push on the weather stripping it goes away, which tells me either the weather stripping is defective or they need to adjusting the latch landing on the driver door to give more compression of the gasket.

Is the spiral cable the same thing as the clock spring?
Old 11-09-20, 03:45 PM
ObsidianBl
Advanced

Originally Posted by nuclearn8
Thanks for the follow up. I take mine in on Wednesday for annual inspection and brake system flush... and was going to open a warranty ticket for this issue and some wind buffeting I'm hearing at the top of the driver side door.
If I push on the weather stripping it goes away, which tells me either the weather stripping is defective or they need to adjusting the latch landing on the driver door to give more compression of the gasket.

Is the spiral cable the same thing as the clock spring?
I’m not 100% sure on your last question but they are special ordering in part # 84307-30090. I still haven’t received word if Lexus will cover the warranty claim.

that part number has some crazy pricing. On the Toyota Lexus parts websites it shows $550-750 https://www.toyotapartsdeal.com/oem/...307-30090.html

ebay has a listing with It saying it’s OEM and with a pic of the OEM parts box for $49.89.

i don’t have the wind noise on the GX thankfully. In the first few months of ownership, I did have the driver side rubber trim complete come off but I put that back on and never had any issues.

I had wind noise on the rx but never got that resolved. It most likely had to do with the rubber trim like you’re saying. I remember the s2000 owners using some kind of “magic” end all be all rubber treatment... had to look it up due to curiosity. It’s Honda Shin-Etsu grease. Maybe it’ll help reduce the wind noise.
https://www.hemmings.com/stories/201...eaks-shin-etsu
Old 11-10-20, 07:29 AM
nuclearn8
Instructor

@ObsidianBl they appear to be the same part, clock spring and spiral cable. will share what dealer says tomorrow...
thanks for the honda grease link, good backup. Gonna see if they can make an adjustment or replace the weather stripping. I aero303 all the blank seals and gaskets regularly so elasticity isn't the issue, car is basically brand new and garaged.
Old 11-10-20, 07:36 AM
ObsidianBl
Advanced

@nuclearn8
Both techs said they couldn’t hear it initially and I had to go out there with them. It’s easier when the AC is off, windows are up, and doors are closed. Have them focus on the steering wheel.

I can hear it with the ac on while but some of the older techs might have a harder time hearing the noise.
Old 11-10-20, 07:41 AM
nuclearn8
Instructor

yes agree. everything needs to be off with windows up to hear it. Use to work in service, so know the "could not duplicate" drill well when it's not an immediate, flat rate money maker in the shop. Have to lead the horse to water and point the water out to them to get them to drink on most warranty issues.
ObsidianBl (11-10-20)
Old 11-13-20, 05:32 AM
nuclearn8
Instructor

could not duplicate, not surprising. It's on record at least and I'll go back after the winter and try again
Old 01-15-21, 11:25 AM
ObsidianBl
Advanced

Follow up:
It was diagnosed as the spiral cable by a younger tech a while back

I haven’t had a chance to go in to have them replace it due to the holidays.
Old 01-18-21, 07:22 PM
03gx02sc
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tapping Sensation in Steering Wheel

I have searched the forum but cannot find any reference to this particular issue so I am hoping someone can help.

About 18 months ago I traded my 03 GX470 for a 2016 GX460 luxury package with 77k miles. Soon after, the car developed a hard constant tapping sensation in the steering wheel (think someone tapping the wooden part of the steering wheel with a hammer about 3-4x a second) when the car is in 6th gear at 1800-1900RPM at about 62-65mph. The problem got gradually worse and now at 99k miles it is tapping in 6th gear at 1800-1900RPM from 60-80mph. The tapping stops when you let off the gas, and the taps get harder when you go up a hill. It is a hard, definite, tapping sensation. The problem with this speed/RPM range is that it is right where I cruise with traffic on my lengthy commute to and from work. The car has no tapping sensation in the other gears, RPMs, and speeds.

I have taken the car back to the Lexus dealership probably 10 times for this issue but they always say they cannot duplicate it when they drive the car alone. I have driven the diagnostic tech and GM and both were able to hold onto the steering wheel and feel the tapping while I drove, but both said it is normal for this model to tap. I have trouble believing this is normal seeing as how I cannot find anything on any of the forums about this issue. Thinking that it had something to do with the front differential since the car is perfectly smooth except for the tapping in the steering wheel, my independent mechanic replaced the front differential with a unit out of a 2018 with 8k miles. The tapping now does not feel as hard in the steering wheel but there is still a definite tapping sensation and it is still in 6th gear, similar RPM and speeds. I also have begun feeling the tapping vibration in the gas pedal. I am not sure if the tap in the gas pedal has anything to do with the differential change or if I am just paying extra close attention because the issue is so annoying. The independent mechanic also checked the front wheel bearings and lubed the driveshafts.

Tires are new Michelin Defenders with less than 1k miles and the car tapped just as bad with the Michelin Latitudes that were on the car previously. Brakes were new when I purchased the car and when the tapping began. The car is perfectly smooth running down the road at all speeds. Alignment is on point (other than the steering wheel being off center, which the dealer also said is normal for this model. Again, I do not believe them.).

Does anyone have any suggestions on what could be causing this tapping sensation? Thanks in advance.

Last edited by 03gx02sc; 01-18-21 at 07:59 PM. Reason: title change

Quick Reply: Steering wheel creak/rattle/other noises