GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Steering wheel creak/rattle/other noises

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-21, 02:34 PM
Mattyman
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Steering Column Surround Rattle

I have a 2010 GX460 and since I have owned it, there is this annoying rattle from the lower steering column surround plastics when I hit bumps in the road. If I wedge my hand between the column and dash on the side, it pretty much stops. I looked at it today to try and figure out what might be the issue but can't figure out how to remove the lower plastic. I found 2 Philips head screws and then saw clips between the top and bottom halves. Do I have to remove the steering wheel adjust **** or should it slide over top? What do you do with the black curtain stuff near the back side? Any info, photos or videos would be helpful. Thanks
Old 02-07-21, 05:41 PM
WRD4chano
Advanced

Received 129 Likes on 98 Posts

should be three screws (per the repair manual)

Steering wheel creak/rattle/other noises-quzptcd.png
Old 05-13-21, 07:32 PM
ObsidianBl
Advanced

Received 195 Likes on 129 Posts

Another follow up…. I have no idea what the noise is anymore.

Dealer said they replaced the spiral cable, but the noise is still coming from the wheel. In fact it’s even louder now.

If anyone ever stumbles across this thread and has a solution, I’m listening!
The following users liked this post:
nuclearn8 (05-14-21)
Old 05-14-21, 06:27 AM
nuclearn8
Instructor

Received 605 Likes on 366 Posts

All ears as well...
Living with this noise more on than off as well every time we drive the vehicle. It's a first world problem but it's there and noticeable without the radio on when driving down a smooth road and low wind speeds.
Pretty resigned to the fact that it's just a quirk we're going to have to live with if we keep this vehicle longterm as is our plan currently.
Old 05-15-21, 05:21 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 310 Likes on 229 Posts

Years ago I experienced something similar on my LS. Can’t remember if it was then 400 or 430 but I’m pretty sure I lubricated the steering shaft / bushings with silicon where it passes through the cabin to the rack.
Old 05-16-21, 09:29 AM
ObsidianBl
Advanced

Received 195 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Lavrishevo
Years ago I experienced something similar on my LS. Can’t remember if it was then 400 or 430 but I’m pretty sure I lubricated the steering shaft / bushings with silicon where it passes through the cabin to the rack.
I gave this a try and was hoping for the best, but the noise is still there. It definitely sounds like it’s coming from the airbag/ wheel control area of the steering wheel.

@nuclearn8 the vehicle itself is so quiet that minor annoyances like this gets amplified.

I can’t prove or disprove that the dealer changed out the clock spring. I did get pushback from the warranty manager during the day I brought it in for them to work on…
WRD4chano (05-16-21)
Old 05-16-21, 10:30 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 310 Likes on 229 Posts

Might be helpful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the lof
Hi, can you please post the results from your Wednesday visit to the dealer. thank you
They installed a new steering column part. I think it's called the "main shaft" : something that has bushings at the top and at the bottom. I've been in for this issue three times. The first time, they lubricated the top bushing. The second time, they lubricated the bottom one. This time they replaced the whole rod and the noise seems gone for now.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...ing-wheel.html
Old 04-13-23, 11:36 PM
panardog
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

our Lexus IS making a rubbing/grinding noise that is notice by the passenger, and driver can feel it together with a vibration on the gas pedal and low speed...
Were you able to find out what it causes and where steering and pedal touch each other?
Thanks!
Old 01-05-24, 07:19 AM
shakinroch
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Loud Telescoping Steering Column

Hi, I was hoping someone could help. When my 2014 Lexus GX460 steering column is telescoping towards me it has gotten somewhat loud. Not quite a grinding noise but heading in that direction? Thoughts?
Old 06-03-24, 10:49 AM
mail2anoopmv
6th Gear

Hi All, I am facing steering wheel rattle noises in my GX460 2014 Luxury trim (210K Kilometers driven) while riding through rough roads. This had started few months back and couple of replacements made to resolve it, but this issue is coming back to me every time. Below is the summary of actions I did on this as advised by the garage people, also attached a sample video of this here, appreciate if anyone of you can give some guidance or advice to rectify this forever...

1. Initially it was noticed that there was a slight crack in the steering rack boot and it was replaced
2. Once this rattle noise was observed, replaced the two bushes in steering rack suspecting that this was causing the problem, no positive result afterwards
3. Replaced upper and lower steering shafts, again the issue remains the same.

Now not sure what to replace now, as steering column and shat is remaining :-(
Attached Files

Last edited by mail2anoopmv; 06-03-24 at 10:53 AM.
Old 06-04-24, 03:20 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,652 Likes on 2,391 Posts

@mail2anoopmv Have the rest of your front suspension been inspected?
Old 06-04-24, 08:14 PM
mail2anoopmv
6th Gear

Hi Arcad,

Yesterday I went to the garage to check further about this issue and they noticed that the noise is coming from the steering rack as highlighted below. They did the checks as follows:-

Step1. Lifted the vehicle and from the bottom, this highlighted portion was forcefully shaken and there was some loose or similar kind of rattle noise coming from the rack.
Step2: Removed bottom shaft which is getting connected to this steering rack and then also the same kind of noise was observed while forcefully shaking it.

Hence, they said either the steering rack to be replaced or to be repaired. I think the original steering rack (44200-60221) is very costly and there is no stock here. If I need to repair it, I don't know if it will resolve this issue or repeat again.

GX460 2014 Chasis number: JTJJM7FX4E5069674
Appreciate your opinion or suggestion on this:

Old 06-05-24, 06:08 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,652 Likes on 2,391 Posts

I’m not familiar with reports of anyone rebuilding the rack here.

If you do have to obtain a replacement rack can you obtain from Partsouq?

https://partsouq.com/en/search/all?q=44200-60221

Old 06-12-24, 02:27 PM
mike202
Pit Crew

Received 111 Likes on 77 Posts

1. Initially it was noticed that there was a slight crack in the steering rack boot and it was replaced
2. Once this rattle noise was observed, replaced the two bushes in steering rack suspecting that this was causing the problem, no positive result afterwards
3. Replaced upper and lower steering shafts, again the issue remains the same.

Now not sure what to replace now, as steering column and shat is remaining :-(
I have this same problem on a 2014. There is a knocking in the steering column that can be felt and heard, but only on rough roads. The noise is definitely emanating from the column. Suspension is tight, tie rods, ball joints, etc. There are a lot of threads on ih8mud and reddit talking about this but nobody has a solution. I found a video regarding the same issue on a Tacoma and the fix was to replace the rag joint, however the GX is different and does not have a rag joint.

What I did is held the upper intermediate shaft with vice grips (under the dash) and moved the steering wheel back and forth. There is definite play in the steering column and I am guessing it is the joint that allows the steering wheel to tilt. Unfortunately, no internal parts of the column are available from Lexus and the entire column is serviced as a unit. The p/n is 45810-60150 and it is $1642 at Bell Lexus. So I will live with it for now.

Edit: I see many complaints in the 4Runner forums as well.

Last edited by mike202; 06-12-24 at 02:35 PM.
mail2anoopmv (06-13-24)
Old 06-13-24, 11:58 AM
mail2anoopmv
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Acrad
I’m not familiar with reports of anyone rebuilding the rack here.

If you do have to obtain a replacement rack can you obtain from Partsouq?

https://partsouq.com/en/search/all?q=44200-60221
Hi Arcad,

Unfortunately Partsouq doesn't work for me as they are not selling to customers inside UAE, that's bit surprising for me as the Partsouq shop itself is located in UAE, when I spoke with them they said its their policy. Anyhow, new steering rack is more costly and I cannot spent that much for my vehicle. Instead I came to know about a used steering rack for GX460 in nearby place, but I'm not sure how it will work as its a used one and there wont be much guarantee on this.

As mentioned by mike202 is the below post, I will also live with this steering noises. However, its not a huge problem for me as it cannot be noticed in a normal road. But when the vehicle is taken to rough road sometimes this will come and at that time its bit annoying.

Regards,
Anoop

Quick Reply: Steering wheel creak/rattle/other noises