Steering wheel creak/rattle/other noises

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-16, 11:57 AM
GoHuskers
Racer

Received 168 Likes on 114 Posts
Lightbulb Steering wheel "Clunks"

Hello all,

I need your HELP to verify this "issue". When I retract the steering wheel column ALL the way in, there is a loud "clunking" sound. It seems like there is a gap or bump on the steering shaft.

Can you please do that to see if yours acts the same? If they are all the same then I won't bother bring it to the dealer.

Thank you all.
Old 03-21-16, 05:54 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 871 Likes on 604 Posts

For what it's worth, I played around with my 2011 with no clunking and never heard it before. Curious, have you tried it with different vertical settings to see if something just wasn't quite seated properly? Long shot I know...

When I started using the Waze app I would leave my phone on the steering column and forget about it when I shut the truck down. It got sucked into the steering column a few times and I couldn't get it out without extending the steering wheel Is it possible that you have something jamed in there?

Last edited by tecman; 03-21-16 at 06:15 PM.
Old 03-23-16, 07:07 AM
GoHuskers
Racer

Thanks TecMan for looking into it.

I took your advise and messing around with it at different vertical settings and Low and behold I believe it is a problem. At the Lowest and medium to highest vertical setting it is smooth as butter but at 1-2 click above the lowest (it is my sweet spot) it makes a big "clunk", I can really see the turn signal stalk snapped/shaked.

Schedule made to bring it in...Thanks.
Old 04-05-16, 11:47 AM
GoHuskers
Racer

Dealer found the controller box for the remote starter was in the way of the steering column, tech moved the controller box out of the way and it is smooth as butter.
Old 07-28-19, 06:44 PM
pchen0514
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Steering wheel noise

When I turn the turn signal, there will be a "clam" crisp sound in the direction of rotation. It will ring once every half turn in the direction of the turn. It is more obvious. If there is no turn on signal, there will be no sound. Please help me to see what happens?
Old 07-19-20, 03:54 PM
LXGXL
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering Wheel Noise when Turning Left or Right

Hi All - I hope everyone is doing good and staying safe!!

I have a 2017 GX460 Luxury package, and anytime the steering wheel is returning back to center from either left or right, I hear a clicking/spring type sound - which is really bothering me. It sounds like some type of a spring snapping back into place (not sure if it's normal to hear it)... I've taken it to the dealership multiple times, but of course they're not willing to really dig deep to find out what it is, since it doesn't do it all the time and it's not really affecting functionality. Is anyone else experiencing the same issue or hear the same noise?

I appreciate any feedback you could give me.
Attached Files
File Type: mov
IMG_8013.MOV (3.65 MB, 63 views)

Last edited by LXGXL; 07-19-20 at 04:02 PM.
Old 07-19-20, 04:06 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 871 Likes on 604 Posts

Did the dealership confirm they heard this? Take it somewhere else.
Old 07-19-20, 08:53 PM
LXGXL
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, their mechanic confirmed he can hear it, but he says it's intermittent (which it's not). I might end up taking it somewhere else but I'm hoping to get it repaired at the dealership, while the vehicle is still under warranty.
Old 07-23-20, 10:22 AM
ObsidianBl
Advanced

Received 195 Likes on 129 Posts
Default Steering wheel creak/rattle/other noises

I’m starting to experience an unusual creaking noise coming from the steering wheel area when I turn it in either direction.

I’ve tried different tilt adjustments with the wheel and it still makes noise.

Has anyone experienced this? I have a couple months left on the 4yr 50k, so I’ll need to take it in as soon as possible.

Old 07-23-20, 12:48 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,652 Likes on 2,391 Posts

Does it seem like it is inside or being transmitted up the steering shaft from outside the cabin?
Old 07-23-20, 01:42 PM
ObsidianBl
Advanced

The sound is faint but there if you’re listening for it when the radio is off. I don’t feel any vibrations while turning the wheel.

It sounds like it’s coming from beneath the plastic covering around the airbag area. Originally I thought it was the wooden portion of the steering wheel.

I’ve tried different positions on the tilt and applying pressure on certain parts of the plastic covering on the wheel and behind to feel any vibrations and to deaden the sound.

Old 07-23-20, 02:14 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

You'd probably have to start removing trim there to see exactly what it is.

Not a lot on similar issues but different sounds

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...-or-right.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...eel-noise.html
The following users liked this post:
ObsidianBl (07-24-20)
Old 07-24-20, 09:21 AM
ObsidianBl
Advanced

Thanks. I'll have to take it in before warranty is up for them to check on this.

I'll post back if they are able to duplicate the issue.
Old 07-24-20, 10:21 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Just some diagrams of that area

The following 2 users liked this post by Acrad:
clearmysix (07-28-20), mail2anoopmv (06-03-24)
Old 07-26-20, 06:28 PM
maduro
Driver School Candidate

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Could be the clock spring. My GX came with broken a clock spring and whenever I turned the car to the left or the right at slow speeds, I would hear a rattling sound as if there was something loose in the steering wheel. If your clock spring is completely broken you will know because all your buttons on the steering wheel will not function and your air bag light will be on. BTW, to get the clock spring replaced at the dealer, the bill came to $1350. That way to expensive but I paid it because the place I bought the car from reimbursed me. An OEM Lexus clock spring will cost about $400. If I had to pay for it, I'd replace it myself. Its an easy job. There are several youtube videos on how to do it. Just disconnect the battery during the work so the airbag doesn't go off..... even though the chances are small.
The following users liked this post:
mail2anoopmv (11-17-23)

Quick Reply: Steering wheel creak/rattle/other noises