GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Remote start

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-20, 06:02 PM
Hooty123
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Remote start

How cheap is Lexus to not have this as a standard feature. Nearly all cars have remote start with key fob. My 07 chevy had it. Kind of dissappointed.
Old 07-24-20, 06:19 PM
ASE
Pole Position

Received 1,028 Likes on 686 Posts

Just me asking ... why does anyone really need or want remote start ?
Old 07-24-20, 07:32 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by ASE
Just me asking ... why does anyone really need or want remote start ?
Ability to have the GX ready to go on days when the weather is like the campbells soup commercial, or let it air out the heat and have the ac running.

It usually has been a one time cost feature. With the GX, the only solutions are keeping paying for the subscription or risk damage to the BCM module by getting an aftermarket setup.
The following 2 users liked this post by coolsaber:
Craigyyy (07-26-20), Hobbes22 (08-01-20)
Old 07-24-20, 09:35 PM
ASE
Pole Position

Originally Posted by coolsaber
Ability to have the GX ready to go on days when the weather is like the campbells soup commercial, or let it air out the heat and have the ac running.

It usually has been a one time cost feature. With the GX, the only solutions are keeping paying for the subscription or risk damage to the BCM module by getting an aftermarket setup.
If living in Calgary ... makes sense, but for me fuel dilution and the associated cold start wear argues against this being a useful feature for those who put engine life over being cold for 5 minutes of their life.
Old 07-24-20, 10:25 PM
AZLexicon
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I live in Arizona and use the remote start on my Jeep to cool off the interior between April and October because it's 140 degrees inside if it sits for any length of time.
The following 3 users liked this post by AZLexicon:
Craigyyy (07-26-20), Hobbes22 (08-01-20), Monkeypaw (07-29-20)
Old 07-25-20, 12:01 AM
tonyjh63
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ASE
If living in Calgary ... makes sense, but for me fuel dilution and the associated cold start wear argues against this being a useful feature for those who put engine life over being cold for 5 minutes of their life.
Explain, please?
Old 07-25-20, 06:39 AM
kgbagent1
Pit Crew

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by ASE
How does the remote start feature increase cold start wear? You were going to start the car in the cold either way.
The following 2 users liked this post by kgbagent1:
Craigyyy (07-26-20), Monkeypaw (07-29-20)
Old 07-25-20, 07:11 AM
Statman
Pit Crew

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

My 2015 has Lexus remote start with no subscription. The price on the sticker was $499 for this option.
Old 07-25-20, 10:27 AM
istundra
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I got the BestBuy Deal for Compustar 2-way remote start system. BestBuy normally has this deal 2-3x a year. this one past, i think look for another around BF time.
https://slickdeals.net/f/14206337-co...archBarV2Algo1

It is a slick deal, $250 installed from Best Buy. Comes with T-Harness and mostly Plug & Play.

I also got a few additional options added for Free (programmed in the brain) by the installer. You have to ask for it, otherwise they wouldn't do it. These options are:
  • OEM fob - Lock, Unlock, Lock remote start. (using this, i don't need the compustar fob and works like factory part).
  • Glass Tailgate Trunk open
  • 3 Mile T12 Pro upgrade, found the fob on eBay for $230 and Geeksquad installed for free.

So far, this is the best upgrade by far! Good luck!
Old 07-25-20, 12:40 PM
ASE
Pole Position

Originally Posted by kgbagent1
How does the remote start feature increase cold start wear? You were going to start the car in the cold either way.
... because when the vehicle idles for an extended period of time, the warm-up to full operating temperature takes longer. Fuel condenses on the cylinder walls on cold startup and continues for a period of time until the engine temperature increases to where condensation diminishes ... and completely goes away closer to full engine operating temperatures.
Old 07-25-20, 01:50 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ASE
... because when the vehicle idles for an extended period of time, the warm-up to full operating temperature takes longer. Fuel condenses on the cylinder walls on cold startup and continues for a period of time until the engine temperature increases to where condensation diminishes ... and completely goes away closer to full engine operating temperatures.
Personally I`m the coolant to temp before pull out of a cold driveway kinda driver. I know its terrible, seen multiple engineering explained type videos who stress the importance of starting up and driving away at low throttle, but something about that just feels wrong lol. In the hotter areas, I could care less.
Old 07-25-20, 01:52 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ASE
I wonder how much total damage is associated with this. I mean would the GX be loosing the last year of its 25 year service life or halfing the it down on the 25?

Old 07-26-20, 08:27 AM
Statman
Pit Crew

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by istundra
I got the BestBuy Deal for Compustar 2-way remote start system. BestBuy normally has this deal 2-3x a year. this one past, i think look for another around BF time.
https://slickdeals.net/f/14206337-co...archBarV2Algo1
So far, this is the best upgrade by far! Good luck!
You need another remote for this? That's a a no go for me. Fortunately mine was already installed when I bought it CPO.
Old 07-26-20, 09:12 AM
ASE
Pole Position

I wonder how much total damage is associated with this. I mean would the GX be loosing the last year of its 25 year service life or halfing the it down on the 25?
... could be endlessly argued much like oil change intervals. My take ... reducing cylinder wear by any means possible is a good thing. For me, engine life is more important than the discomfort of being cold for a short period of time ... and with seat heaters, close to a non-issue anyway.
Old 07-26-20, 09:51 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Yup for sure. My personal belief is at 53k base, new MY20s at least should get the Remote start for free for more then the 1st year.
The following 2 users liked this post by coolsaber:
Buck6197 (07-27-20), Monkeypaw (07-29-20)

Quick Reply: Remote start