GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

RIP: GX470. Long live the GX460!

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-20, 05:13 PM
C7GS
Driver School Candidate

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RIP: GX470. Long live the GX460!

Driver of stolen F250 was drove it like he stole it- directly into my 470, when it was parked on the side of the road. I got out of it maybe 30 min prior. I honestly can't believe no one (including driver who fled) was killed, let a lone no one being hurt.

Sucks because I just got less than a year ago. Got the seats redone, nice new shocks, new TRD wheels, BFGKO2 (2k miles on them).
I looked around at what to get next and couldn't come up with anything better for what I need/want (daily to drive 1 mile to the office, fit in tight garage and town a racecar once a year) than a clean 470. Well, they're not easy to come by and I didn't feel like wasting 2 weeks of my life hunting one down, so I did the next best thing: Upgraded to a 460.

So far I really like it, except the wheels are chrome. I'm going to try to negotiate with my insurance company to let me swap the wheels if they'll work. Can anyone tell me if those wheels on my 470 will work on my 460?
The AC'ed seats are pretty strong. Love that in Texas. 460 Bluetooth is a huge upgrade. Parking sensors are nice. Interior is way better. I definitely don't like the new pedal (brake or gas) feel as much as the 470.

Pics below
RIP: GX470. Long live the GX460!-m2q076s.jpg
RIP: GX470. Long live the GX460!-xmz91wk.jpg
They also stole a lot of soda.
RIP: GX470. Long live the GX460!-ahajoou.jpg
But how did the front of your car get smashed? Oh, you see that white car waaaaay out there? That was parked directly in front of me.
RIP: GX470. Long live the GX460!-ujue4u5.jpg

Pictures from Seller of 460.
RIP: GX470. Long live the GX460!-3qk6be2.jpg
RIP: GX470. Long live the GX460!-tzhgedx.jpg
RIP: GX470. Long live the GX460!-mpdjpxd.jpg
RIP: GX470. Long live the GX460!-cx9ofka.jpg
The following 2 users liked this post by C7GS:
dwh13 (07-29-20), Lavrishevo (07-30-20)
Old 07-29-20, 05:31 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,668 Likes on 2,401 Posts

Good to hear you got out of that safely.

On rims... I've seen installs of rims on 460s/470s placed on the opposite generation.
Old 07-29-20, 06:45 PM
shajbot
Advanced

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts

Wow that’s both a lot of damage but survive-able at the same time.

Those 17” TRD wheels should fit the 460
just fine!
Old 07-29-20, 09:05 PM
C7GS
Driver School Candidate

So I drove it a little more today and I have to say, this car completely void of personality- which is fine really. Even compared to the 470, this thing is boring. Not worse (it’s definitely better) but just very boring. It’s really baffling it has the off-road features and capabilities it does while it feels like its primary purpose was to get groceries for a 5’2” affluent house mom.

it is substantially more comfortable with better seats, more features and etc (though I like the visibility and seating positioning of the 470 better).

however the sound system is awesome. I’m about as far from an audiophile as you can get but cranking that stereo up- it was great for an oem system.
The following users liked this post:
Ay-nako (08-27-20)
Old 07-30-20, 04:02 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 310 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by C7GS
So I drove it a little more today and I have to say, this car completely void of personality- which is fine really. Even compared to the 470, this thing is boring. Not worse (it’s definitely better) but just very boring. It’s really baffling it has the off-road features and capabilities it does while it feels like its primary purpose was to get groceries for a 5’2” affluent house mom.
How dare you! I think it's time for you to go back to the 470 forum... lol. Just kidding. I never drove the 470 but I would hardly call the 460 boring or lacking personality. I think your comparing your modified truck to the stock does not make much sense. Get to modding the new one and give it an individual personality.
Old 07-30-20, 05:17 AM
C7GS
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Lavrishevo
How dare you! I think it's time for you to go back to the 470 forum... lol. Just kidding. I never drove the 470 but I would hardly call the 460 boring or lacking personality. I think your comparing your modified truck to the stock does not make much sense. Get to modding the new one and give it an individual personality.
only thing the 470 had was wheels and tires. Yeah it had shocks, but nothing performance oriented.
At the end of the day, it’s a luxury suv and not a performance oriented one (IE: AMG). i think the goal was for it to be boring, and honestly, it’s not a bad thing. Sure I’d rather 450hp, but I’d much rather 460 reliability.
Old 07-30-20, 05:53 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 310 Likes on 229 Posts

This would do the trick.

Old 07-30-20, 07:07 AM
kgbagent1
Pit Crew

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

it is substantially more comfortable with better seats, more features and etc (though I like the visibility and seating positioning of the 470 better).

however the sound system is awesome. I’m about as far from an audiophile as you can get but cranking that stereo up- it was great for an oem system.
Define personality. What did the 470 have that the 460 does not that gives it "personality?"
Old 07-30-20, 08:07 AM
C7GS
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by kgbagent1
Define personality. What did the 470 have that the 460 does not that gives it "personality?"
Fair question. It's an SUV so neither by any means are going to feel like a sports car, but the 470 felt more connected. Pedal feel (gas and especially brake) and the steering felt more connected for sure. I definitely don't like the brake pedal feel as much. The gas pedal is probably due to it throttle by wire (I'm assuming). Steering feels very numb- probably has a lot more power steering. The engine, while it makes more power, has less down low it feels like. Shifting feels softer. It's also quieter inside so you don't hear as much engine when you stomp on it- not that either was going to impress anyone there.

I also think the suspension is softer, but that may very well be the shocks and tires I was running.

Those things make it a great daily driver. There's a reason why I don't daily drive my Grand Sport. It has tons of "character."

I was looking at it today and it definitely needs wheels and tires. If I can't get the insurance company to let me swap the wheels, I'll probably just get the same setup I had on the 470 on there- gray (maybe black?) TRD wheels with AT KO's.
kgbagent1 (08-02-20)
Old 07-30-20, 08:22 AM
ltsr
Pole Position

Received 78 Likes on 59 Posts

Welcome. I think you're dead right that the 460 probably has less "personality" than the 470. That's what you get for refinement, removal of that "personal" connection. It's really simple. I personally purchased the 460 for longevity, reliability and resale. I'm afraid you opened up a can of worms and there's going to be a bunch of 460 folks offended
WRD4chano (07-31-20)
Old 07-31-20, 06:17 AM
Keirik
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Fair question. It's an SUV so neither by any means are going to feel like a sports car, but the 470 felt more connected. Pedal feel (gas and especially brake) and the steering felt more connected for sure. I definitely don't like the brake pedal feel as much. The gas pedal is probably due to it throttle by wire (I'm assuming). Steering feels very numb- probably has a lot more power steering. The engine, while it makes more power, has less down low it feels like. Shifting feels softer. It's also quieter inside so you don't hear as much engine when you stomp on it- not that either was going to impress anyone there.
Rsxworth,
I also think the suspension is softer, but that may very well be the shocks and tires I was running.

Those things make it a great daily driver. There's a reason why I don't daily drive my Grand Sport. It has tons of "character."

I was looking at it today and it definitely needs wheels and tires. If I can't get the insurance company to let me swap the wheels, I'll probably just get the same setup I had on the 470 on there- gray (maybe black?) TRD wheels with AT KO's.
what do you mean let you swap the wheels? It’s your car and when they give a value for the car they rarely include any tire or wheel mods in the check they cut for you. If I were you I’d swamp them out yourself. They still are yours. I did it on the last sub I totaled.
Old 07-31-20, 07:47 AM
C7GS
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Keirik
what do you mean let you swap the wheels? It’s your car and when they give a value for the car they rarely include any tire or wheel mods in the check they cut for you. If I were you I’d swamp them out yourself. They still are yours. I did it on the last sub I totaled.
Well it's at the police impound now. It ended up on the sidewalk, so I had to have it towed that night.
Old 08-04-20, 04:58 AM
ROSCOGX470
Instructor

Received 101 Likes on 73 Posts

Well it's at the police impound now. It ended up on the sidewalk, so I had to have it towed that night.
You have the same tungsten pearl with chrome wheels as I do and I love the chrome wheels. They are actually pvd wheels which are much more durable. The 470 wheels will obviously fit albeit going from 18” to 17”. Just do what I did and pick up a set of 4Runner limited hyper silver wheels I use for winter time. I like your ecru interior, mine is black. I owned an 04 470 and have to agree with you on the ride and drivetrain. All 470’s had the air ride and adaptive shocks which mine(base) does not and the ride is too stiff for me. Good luck with your new ride.
Old 08-04-20, 08:02 AM
GoHuskers
Racer

Received 168 Likes on 114 Posts

I'm glad you're safe.

I would NOT want those wheels and tires. You have no idea what's wrong with them internally - same thing when you're in an accident the insurance will pay for ANY carseats in the car regardless if they are damaged or not. I would make sure the insurance pay for those wheels and tires...bring out your negotiation skills.
sinistar (08-05-20)
Old 08-05-20, 11:00 AM
familyGX47
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good to know that you are safe. These GX470's are built like tanks. To be hit with "stolen" super heavy F250 and still have this damage is an evidence of the well build Lexus cars. Toyota did a great job of enforcing the cabin. I have a 2007 GX, I love it so much and with about 125K miles, I feel bad to replace it. But the wife don't need the third-row seat and wants the new RX. Waiting for the new platform RX for 2022.

Quick Reply: RIP: GX470. Long live the GX460!