GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

I bought the cheapest GX in the country (on autotrader)

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-20, 03:00 PM
angrygx
Driver

Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by MiamiGX
Well if you thought that was the last you heard of me and my transmission you were wrong, and I was too.

The very day after I did a 600 mile round trip over the weekend. I got on the highway and the car would not shift out of second gear. At 60 mph I was at 3500 rpm. Then I saw the warm familiar glow of the check engine light and 4lo.
I am grateful the car decided to wait till I got home. I will give it that.

Now I am on to plan B. Any ideas? Should I switch out the solenoids next?

oh man I wish you the best of luck man. I know how it feels when a car goes south... especially a New to you car.. damn

I know that if it was a car you had for a while you would just sellem... if someshing like that happened so.. think wisely before you spend more time and frustration and overall money!
Old 09-11-20, 04:24 PM
MiamiGX
Driver

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by shmelvin1
Clear the codes and trade it in.....
I already spent enough money on the car that I feel like I've invested in the car too much to give up just yet.
Plus I really love this damn car.

I'm really just hoping that someone with more knowledge than me can help me figure out the issue and I can keep it and let it live a long well loved and cared for life with me. Not just stripped for parts in a junkyard.
Old 09-11-20, 04:44 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,637 Likes on 2,383 Posts

Just my opinion but since you are keeping it I'd probably go with that heavy duty valve body replacement myself.

It doesn't look hard to replace.

Old 09-12-20, 02:52 PM
MiamiGX
Driver

Originally Posted by Acrad
Just my opinion but since you are keeping it I'd probably go with that heavy duty valve body replacement myself.

It doesn't look hard to replace.

​​​​​​Man Acrad, your definition and my definition of not to hard are totally different. Lol.

FYI, I was able to find a good video with instructions. Still not sure it's in my wheel house. It seems much easier to do on a lift.

Are you speaking about the HD Valve body you mentioned earlier in the thread?
​​​​​​
The following users liked this post:
istundra (09-20-20)
Old 09-12-20, 03:11 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

I'm totally shooting at the hip based on FSM instructions. :-)

That being said I can't imagine this would be too much shop time if you could find a AT shop to install it.

Yeah... I'm talking that Nomad valve body

https://cruiserbrothers.com/brands/w...transmissions/

Unfortunately ....other solenoids could be near failure as well and then you are tracing down another one with another pan drop

They also sell and on-demand TC lockup kit

https://www.cruiserbrothers.com/wp-c...Fact-Sheet.pdf
Old 09-12-20, 10:52 PM
MiamiGX
Driver

That Nomad throttle body sounds good. But money is an issue right now. Covid has really messed up my job and I am not working right now, haven't been since March.

I really need to do this as affordable as possible.

I have done a ridiculous amount of reading over the last few days and I came across another company that offers another modded upgraded valve body.

Has anyone heard of IPT? Its a much cheaper option than the Nomad which is about $1200. The IPT modded valve body is $738 and actually on sale right now for $688.
https://www.importperformancetrans.c..._detail&p=1964

Also, if I decide to go the cheapest route, there is a guy selling a throttle body on ebay right now for $250. But I am a little concerned because he sales it as is, no refunds.

What do you guys think?
Old 09-13-20, 02:08 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Make sure you are getting one for A760F...

Not sure how universal the other 760 valve bodies are.... you don’t want a 750 as those are for the 5 speed applications

I wonder what the story is behind those sold on eBay. Transmissions with damaged cases in accidents that they then part out?

Last edited by Acrad; 09-13-20 at 02:24 AM.
Old 09-14-20, 12:18 PM
MiamiGX
Driver

Originally Posted by Acrad
Make sure you are getting one for A760F...

Not sure how universal the other 760 valve bodies are.... you don’t want a 750 as those are for the 5 speed applications

I wonder what the story is behind those sold on eBay. Transmissions with damaged cases in accidents that they then part out?
I contacted the ebay vendor to confirm if it would be compatible with my car. He said I have to match up the casting numbers.
Does anyone know the casting number on the GX? Are they the same for all?

Old 09-14-20, 12:25 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Maybe these will help?

https://www.sonnax.com/tech_resource...fication-guide

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...09426-9999.pdf
Old 09-21-20, 10:12 PM
MiamiGX
Driver

Guys, I come to you for your opinion once again. I am still in the process of getting past this nightmare. But I will not give up on her. We have come too far and we have bonded at this point.
I have spoken to several transmission shops and the story is all the same. They tell me even though the code comes up as a solenoid the problem is most likely inside the transmission, something is causing it to lose pressure. They all want to sell me on a rebuild. They tell me if I replace the valve body the code will come up again soon enough and I will end up losing the money.

Now I know it is likely that they are simply just trying to sell me on the more expensive job. But I cannot even find anyone willing to test individual solenoids and replace them.

So if I insist on the valve body only I am risking $800+ dollars. The rebuild price is all over the place, but the better prices have been $1500-1800.

I cant risk being wrong and having to eat the rebuild cost anyway. On the plus side the rebuild comes with a 1 year warranty.

So my question is this, the other option I have is purchasing a junkyard transmission. I found one locally that has a tranny with only 3000 miles on the clock for $2500. I will have to pay labor on top of that.
Do you think it is better to pay a little more and purchase a used tranny with such low mileage?
Or have them rebuild my tranny which will be cheaper, but will still have components that have 175k miles on it?
Old 09-22-20, 06:05 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

IMO: That is a reasonable rebuild price and with a warranty that should give you a little piece of mind. I got bit by a used AT 25 years ago and I ended up having to do the rebuild anyway.
Old 09-22-20, 08:43 AM
heffnerlex
Pit Crew

Received 49 Likes on 30 Posts

Very reasonable rebuild price and would certainly go that route on this one if I were you. Especially with the one year warranty.
Old 09-22-20, 11:53 AM
LokiGx
Driver

Received 35 Likes on 17 Posts

Rebuild is the way to go, you never know what you are getting into in a used tranny. A good shop should be able to rebuild the tranny into an almost new shape.
Old 09-22-20, 12:26 PM
bambam2
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Be careful of the rebuild quotes. On my Lincoln SUV I got a ballpark quote at $1500 rebuild from a shop so I went with them. After they pulled the tranny and opened it up they called and said it needed more work than they thought and they doubled the rebuild price to $3,000!
Old 03-15-22, 07:21 AM
JoshDrivin
Driver

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

MiamiGX, what did you end up doing with the transmission? I'm in Aventura with the 4Lo and check engine light on. Vehicle drives fine. Lexus Pembroke Pines says codes think transmission is in 4Lo. ~$5800.00 to swap out tranny with Lexus re-manufactured and 1 year warranty.

Quick Reply: I bought the cheapest GX in the country (on autotrader)