GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

2021 Lease/Purchase

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-21, 09:58 PM
tonyrd1
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

I been looking for a 2021 with captain seats in Rioja red interior in the PNW region. I tried Lexus of Bellevue but they are not negotiate with special order. Any other dealer that you guys recommend? Thanks
Old 02-23-21, 05:41 AM
BrenFinn
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just got the 21 gx in December. I have the panoramic view and multi-terrain monitor without the crawl package. In my 2018 gx, I had the crawl package and never used it. I cannot imagine scratching up a new car off-roading , but it was there and it did make a mental check of safety knowing I had it, so there’s that. I considered using it to blaze out of a locked in Starbucks’ line once. Ha! On an interesting note, there was a time period where Lexus dealers were made aware that terrorists from some country, not naming, wanted to procure these vehicles with the crawl that has the gas tank protection. I was told that from the dealer when I bought the gx 18. The terrorists would then aftermarket them with mounted assault rifles. B
Old 02-24-21, 03:47 PM
lawrence1
Intermediate

Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by gagrown
Hi all, looking to buy a MY21 premium w/ Sport Package in the Southeast market in the next few weeks (maybe months, but also ready to pull the trigger now).

My search for a CPO 2017-2019 w/ Sport Package quickly brought me to the $45-50k range with dealers unwilling to budge on price. With the CPO prices being so high, I think I might just bite the bullet and purchase new. Any suggestions on which market down here will give me the best deal? I'm willing to shop anywhere in FL, TN, NC, or SC, etc. (coming from Atlanta) if I can get some of the deals y'all are reporting!

I am pretty set on the gray exterior with black interior (+ sport package) which narrows down my pickings (very few / none of these in metro Atlanta).

I am pre-approved with my credit union for financing but open to using LFS. I also think I qualify for the $1000 grad school rebate program (does that stack with the $2500 cash inventive?). Should I make mention of either of these before I try to negotiate?
yes, the $1K stacks. Definitely not worth buying a 2019 CPO used, as they are only a few grand away from what a new one can be had for, typically. You have to go to a 2018, and more likely a 2017 CPO car to make it worthwhile buying used. A low mile 2017 should be in the high 30s or very low 40s, although it's debatable if those savings are really worth it since there are a lot of improvements in the 2020+ cars, particularly with the standard adaptive cruise control, lane departure warning, and automatic high-beam LED headlights. The interior updates are also quite nice. I've been looking for an older LX 470 but it appears a new GX is probably what I'll end up with. If you are ready to buy, start finding dealers that have the car on the lot and call around and try to make a deal ... you may need to go out of state for a good deal. Aim for invoice or slightly below invoice, minus the $2500 (so $2500 under invoice), and your grad discount should stack on top of that. I don't think you'll have an issue finding the car or a decent deal if you're willing to travel and don't mind making calls to dealers that have the car. Not wanting to travel and having your local dealer locate a car and dealer trade for it generally doesn't net you the best deal. good luck.
The following users liked this post:
gagrown (02-25-21)
Old 02-24-21, 03:48 PM
lawrence1
Intermediate

Originally Posted by BrenFinn
I just got the 21 gx in December. I have the panoramic view and multi-terrain monitor without the crawl package. In my 2018 gx, I had the crawl package and never used it. I cannot imagine scratching up a new car off-roading , but it was there and it did make a mental check of safety knowing I had it, so there’s that. I considered using it to blaze out of a locked in Starbucks’ line once. Ha! On an interesting note, there was a time period where Lexus dealers were made aware that terrorists from some country, not naming, wanted to procure these vehicles with the crawl that has the gas tank protection. I was told that from the dealer when I bought the gx 18. The terrorists would then aftermarket them with mounted assault rifles. B
sounds like a very creative dealer you have there.
Old 02-24-21, 03:55 PM
lawrence1
Intermediate

Originally Posted by tonyrd1
I been looking for a 2021 with captain seats in Rioja red interior in the PNW region. I tried Lexus of Bellevue but they are not negotiate with special order. Any other dealer that you guys recommend? Thanks
Inventory is actually really solid now, and there are lots of cars with the red interior out there, although for some reason in many cases the red interior appears as "Other" on certain websites when you search for it. Not sure if you're looking for the sport package or not, but Lexus of Sacramento had 2021 Premium nebula/rioja red car last week. Finding an in stock car that matches what you're looking for is the way to go, as most lexus dealers are not wiling to place customer orders (in my experience). That said, these cars aren't like Porsches where you have a million different options and packages to chose from, so finding what you're looking for in stock somewhere is relatively easy. Also, like i mentioned in my prior post, you may need to go out of region to find the right car and deal. PNW dealers are not known for aggressive discounts.
Old 02-24-21, 08:09 PM
JRT3
Driver

Received 41 Likes on 23 Posts

I am seeing solid inventory here as well in the Philly/DC region. How does one assume an invoice price, say on a premium model with MSRP of $58,730? TIA!
Old 02-24-21, 08:40 PM
Megamorph
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by JRT3
I am seeing solid inventory here as well in the Philly/DC region. How does one assume an invoice price, say on a premium model with MSRP of $58,730? TIA!
On an MSRP of $58,730, your target is going to be about $53,000 less whatever Lexus cash incentives are available in your area at the time. In my region, for the month of February, there's $2,500 Lexus cash incentive for the GX. So, for my area, it would be $53,000 - $2,500 = $50,500 plus TT&L. Anything better than $50,500 is icing on the cake.
JRT3 (02-25-21)
Old 02-25-21, 10:08 AM
lawrence1
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Megamorph
On an MSRP of $58,730, your target is going to be about $53,000 less whatever Lexus cash incentives are available in your area at the time. In my region, for the month of February, there's $2,500 Lexus cash incentive for the GX. So, for my area, it would be $53,000 - $2,500 = $50,500 plus TT&L. Anything better than $50,500 is icing on the cake.
$53K would be about $1K under invoice, on this particular car. I think there is about 8% to 8.5% of margin from MSRP to invoice on a new GX 460. So you take about 8% off MSRP to come up with a rough invoice number. This is a ballpark number that's probably off by a few hundred bucks but should allow you to easily compute the numbers.
JRT3 (02-25-21)
Old 02-25-21, 01:05 PM
gagrown
Driver School Candidate

Hi all,

I have found 2 GXs with the color combo (and sport package) that I have been looking for. One is a 2020 GX with 4,500 miles being sold out of a Mercedes dealership as a trade in (asking $51k) and the other is a brand new 2021 being sold in Florida (asking $55,951 including $3500 in rebates I qualify for - based on MSRP of $61,615). There is also an extra $2k in dealer fees/add-ons for the new version. Having trouble making a choice here, but also wondering if I can get the Florida dealership down some more? He claims this is his best price. Appreciate any thoughts!
Old 02-25-21, 01:18 PM
gagrown
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lawrence1
yes, the $1K stacks. Definitely not worth buying a 2019 CPO used, as they are only a few grand away from what a new one can be had for, typically. You have to go to a 2018, and more likely a 2017 CPO car to make it worthwhile buying used. A low mile 2017 should be in the high 30s or very low 40s, although it's debatable if those savings are really worth it since there are a lot of improvements in the 2020+ cars, particularly with the standard adaptive cruise control, lane departure warning, and automatic high-beam LED headlights. The interior updates are also quite nice. I've been looking for an older LX 470 but it appears a new GX is probably what I'll end up with. If you are ready to buy, start finding dealers that have the car on the lot and call around and try to make a deal ... you may need to go out of state for a good deal. Aim for invoice or slightly below invoice, minus the $2500 (so $2500 under invoice), and your grad discount should stack on top of that. I don't think you'll have an issue finding the car or a decent deal if you're willing to travel and don't mind making calls to dealers that have the car. Not wanting to travel and having your local dealer locate a car and dealer trade for it generally doesn't net you the best deal. good luck.
Thanks for the help! Out of curiosity, what kind of discount do you think makes buying used worth it? From what I am seeing, I can save $5-7k by buying something 6 months off lease. If I want it to be CPO (5.5 years unlimited mile warranty vs 3.5 years limited) then the savings goes down by $2k. With any other brand, I think I'd definitely take that route, but with Lexus I question if I'll ever even use that warranty! Curious to hear others' thoughts.
Old 02-25-21, 02:17 PM
lawrence1
Intermediate

Hi all,

I have found 2 GXs with the color combo (and sport package) that I have been looking for. One is a 2020 GX with 4,500 miles being sold out of a Mercedes dealership as a trade in (asking $51k) and the other is a brand new 2021 being sold in Florida (asking $55,951 including $3500 in rebates I qualify for - based on MSRP of $61,615). There is also an extra $2k in dealer fees/add-ons for the new version. Having trouble making a choice here, but also wondering if I can get the Florida dealership down some more? He claims this is his best price. Appreciate any thoughts!
Have you called around to see if anyone is willing to sell you one for invoice before incentives? One that new one, the $2K in dealer fees (assuming you mean dealer fees, not options or packages ordered and added to the car) make it a terrible deal. To avoid getting confused, you should negotiate the discount off of MSRP first (this is where you want to be at invoice or relatively close to it) and then apply your incentives to that deal, reducing your cost further.

On the used one, it depends -- if it's a premium, you're saving $4k-$5K and getting a year older car and a bit shorter warranty (you can see how much shorter looking at the in service date). Not sure if it's worth it to you or not. Probably a coin toss depending on what you can do on a brand new 2021 and how far you have to travel, etc. All personal considerations on how to weigh that decision.
gagrown (02-25-21)
Old 02-25-21, 02:19 PM
lawrence1
Intermediate

Thanks for the help! Out of curiosity, what kind of discount do you think makes buying used worth it? From what I am seeing, I can save $5-7k by buying something 6 months off lease. If I want it to be CPO (5.5 years unlimited mile warranty vs 3.5 years limited) then the savings goes down by $2k. With any other brand, I think I'd definitely take that route, but with Lexus I question if I'll ever even use that warranty! Curious to hear others' thoughts.
if you can save $7K by buying one that's 6 months old, then go for it. I was seeing savings of $3K-$4K and to me, that wasn't worth it, CPO or not.
Old 02-25-21, 02:35 PM
gagrown
Driver School Candidate

Based on others in this thread, I think I've been comparing less-than-stellar offers to the CPO offer. Thinking I'll call a few more dealers and try to get something new around invoice less the incentive cash. I'm planning on keeping this rig for a while, so I'll probably feel better down the road knowing I've been the only owner.

I have 2 dealers in the SE market down to $50K + fees/taxes on CPO MY20/M21 Premiums w/ Sport Package (each with less than 10k miles) as a data point.
Old 02-25-21, 07:18 PM
JRT3
Driver

Received 41 Likes on 23 Posts

I appreciate the replies. I'm now comparing the base / premium and after discounts (same dealer) have about $3100 in difference between the 2 packages. Heated seats are a must, and this base model has that added option. On the fence about everything else to justify premium, other then resale. Coming from a 4runner.
Old 02-25-21, 08:06 PM
CFAI
Instructor

Received 322 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by JRT3
I appreciate the replies. I'm now comparing the base / premium and after discounts (same dealer) have about $3100 in difference between the 2 packages. Heated seats are a must, and this base model has that added option. On the fence about everything else to justify premium, other then resale. Coming from a 4runner.
What about 4Runner Lim rather than base GX, esp if you don't want 3rd row seats? Miss out on the V8 and KDSS, but prob several grand less and comes with leather, Android/Carplay, better angles/clearance etc.

Quick Reply: 2021 Lease/Purchase