GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

CarPlay integration with OEM head unit on 2014 GX460 - Successful

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-20 | 08:38 PM
hzhao
Racer

Originally Posted by ObsidianBl
Thank you for this. It took me some time to realize how this system works. The screen display works well in Lexus E800. I think there was another one that was good too... Lexus 1280 was a mistake... That took me a few minutes to get back into the settings and change it back to a usable state.

Do you think LSAILT or some other company has a bluetooth mouse very similar to the joystick mouse on the LX, RX and other models?
Lexus 1280 is for wide screen such as LX570. The current module did not support Bluetooth connection for mouse or keyboard, it only provide the Bluetooth profiles to the phone connection. But you can connect wireless mouse with usb transmitter. The mouse experience is definitely better.

Another option from Lsailt is to add the capacitive touch screen layer. The unit do have dedicated ports for that. Not sure if that can be added to GX, I would imagine as long as you can disable the current resistive layer, you should be able to.

I have getting used to it now, since I am not really need to touch a lot during the driving anyway.
Old 08-23-20 | 09:30 AM
tipsytopsy
Pit Crew

Grom preorder link finally alive https://gromaudio.com/store/vline/le...n-upgrade.html

I think I'll bite this for 450 over Lsailt.. but doubt Grom will be anywhere close to as responsive as support from Lsailt.
Old 08-23-20 | 11:00 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by hzhao
Lexus 1280 is for wide screen such as LX570. The current module did not support Bluetooth connection for mouse or keyboard, it only provide the Bluetooth profiles to the phone connection. But you can connect wireless mouse with usb transmitter. The mouse experience is definitely better.

Another option from Lsailt is to add the capacitive touch screen layer. The unit do have dedicated ports for that. Not sure if that can be added to GX, I would imagine as long as you can disable the current resistive layer, you should be able to.

I have getting used to it now, since I am not really need to touch a lot during the driving anyway.
paging @tuandino who posted his take on the setup.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...l#post10562582

I have this unit installed in my GX for roughly 2 months now. Thanks to guys in the RX forum, I installed one in my wife's RX as well. Although I have it installed but kinda hesitant to bring it up here to share with you guys. Here's why:

1- The unit simply does not justify the cost. $550 to $650 is what they're selling at
2- With GX, you have to open up the screen and separate the touchscreen ribbon and put theirs in between. It's not fully plug n play. Its a pain and also a risk when you do stuff to the screen like this
3- The apple carplay function freezes up at least once or twice everyday for me.
4- The sound sounds very tin canny out of the box. Although you can EQ' to make it sounds better
5- It'll probably take them another year or two to iron out all the hiccups

However, if you overlook any of the 5 negatives above and once it works... the ability to use touchscreen and apple carplay is really awesome! I like this better than in my wife's RX with the mouse. The graphic is adequate. Not their fault since it's really at the screen max resolution capability.
Old 08-23-20 | 11:02 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...l#post10564086

If you need the pics of the unit in action
Old 08-23-20 | 11:33 AM
hzhao
Racer

Originally Posted by coolsaber
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...l#post10564086

If you need the pics of the unit in action
The unit that you have referenced above is a much older generation one. It has been discontinued and replaced with the current one. Although the concept hasn’t changed much, but overall performance and functionality have been improved a lot. For both GX and LX ones I have installed recently, there hasn’t been major mis-behaviors that I have encountered. The LX one is slight better with new MUC update which I have done yesterday. Will give some time to see if I can find anything in particular.

For GX touch response, I have found a quick double tap is much responsive then single touch.
Old 08-23-20 | 11:52 AM
ObsidianBl
Advanced

I tried the Toyota 100 screen option in the settings today. It seems much more responsive to Normal finger presses but still shows the bottom part of the screen on the top. I can live with the visual issue for now.

David from LSAILT also pointed out (hah) that a fingernail press helps with the touch sensitivity.

@hzhao have you tried the LC100 option?
Old 08-23-20 | 11:59 AM
hzhao
Racer

I tried the Toyota 100 screen option in the settings today. It seems much more responsive to Normal finger presses but still shows the bottom part of the screen on the top. I can live with the visual issue for now.

David from LSAILT also pointed out (hah) that a fingernail press helps with the touch sensitivity.

@hzhao have you tried the LC100 option?
@ObsidianBl No, I have not tried LC100, stayed with E800 setting. When you have mis-aligned screen display, if any buttons located at bottom of the screen, you will have much more difficult to touch them and expecting the proper response.
Old 08-23-20 | 12:02 PM
ObsidianBl
Advanced

@ObsidianBl No, I have not tried LC100, stayed with E800 setting. When you have mis-aligned screen display, if any buttons located at bottom of the screen, you will have much more difficult to touch them and expecting the proper response.
surprisingly and this might be a placebo but my carplay, settings and app buttons on the android screen are much more responsive With the lc100 screen option .

i noticed that the carplay and settings button on the android screen would sometimes not activate unless I tapped on the bottom left corner (around the 7:00 position). This is with the Lexus e800 option.

Old 08-30-20 | 04:02 PM
ObsidianBl
Advanced

@hzhao

Do you know if it’s possible to hook up a switch to control both the front and back camera on this android unit like the Beatsonic unit you have?
Old 08-30-20 | 04:11 PM
hzhao
Racer

@hzhao

Do you know if it’s possible to hook up a switch to control both the front and back camera on this android unit like the Beatsonic unit you have?
@ObsidianBl
The DVR app come with the system has the ability to select which camera to view. However, you will have to re-route the backup camera to android backup camera input, and supply the reverse trigger signal to the module as well in order to retain the reverse video function. Doable but it is not ideal.
The following users liked this post:
ObsidianBl (08-30-20)
Old 09-07-20 | 10:28 AM
gspitale
Driver School Candidate

first thing first, the small speak will only give the voice direction with android navigation, not the CarPlay. The android navigation is the first icon on the android screen. You can set it either using google map or Waze, or anything that you like to download and setup as default. In order to using the small speak for direction, you will need to be on android screen while your audio selection is something else other than the AUX. for example, you are on FM, then hold home for two seconds, you are in Android screen, you can start the nav app, your direction will be on small speak, your FM is still playing.

Now, in order to hear CarPlay, whether nav instruction and/or streamed music, or any other app running within CarPlay, you will need in AUX mode for hearing it. The reason is the android box uses aux for routing all the audio signal (minus android native nav instruction). It is the same concept if you play YouTube, you will need to be in Aux to hear it. As far as this android box concern, CarPlay or YouTube just is a media app.

Last but not least, there is a screen alignment setting may improve the touch screen response. It is under the factory setting, screen type. The default is set for Toyota 800. Change it to the first one on the list: Lexus E800. The reason on that was that I noticed the display was a bit out of alignment with factory setting. If you pay attention, you will notice the bottom of few pixel lines are actually displayed on top of the screen. I couldn’t say my guess was definitive, but that screen display off few lines could well impact accuracy of the touch areas. After I fixed the screen display alignment, it seems better with touch response, especially near the bottom of the screen. That could explain the unexpected behavior on Siri when you touch the bottom left of CarPlay menu area.

Hopefully those tips help!
When I go to the Factory settings page, it asks for a code. I tried 0000 and it doesn’t work. Is this where I change the screen type and what is the code?
Old 09-07-20 | 11:13 AM
tipsytopsy
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by gspitale
When I go to the Factory settings page, it asks for a code. I tried 0000 and it doesn’t work. Is this where I change the screen type and what is the code?
1630 per hzhao's comment in this thread.
The following 2 users liked this post by tipsytopsy:
Acrad (09-07-20), ObsidianBl (09-07-20)
Old 09-12-20 | 12:38 PM
tipsytopsy
Pit Crew

If I want to add a front camera in the car, do I need Beatsonic (CS5EP) or can we feed the camera directly to this android box harness? Because I read somewhere that this unit supports front camera.
Old 09-12-20 | 02:52 PM
ObsidianBl
Advanced

Originally Posted by tipsytopsy
If I want to add a front camera in the car, do I need Beatsonic (CS5EP) or can we feed the camera directly to this android box harness? Because I read somewhere that this unit supports front camera.
it should support front camera without the beatsonic. I’ll let you know hopefully by tonight. I ran the wiring last week and just need to take apart the infotainment section to do the last connection.
Old 09-12-20 | 03:10 PM
hzhao
Racer

Originally Posted by tipsytopsy
You could directly feed the front camera to the android box. But you will need to use the DVR app to engage the view, which means depends on where you were at the moment, it could be few steps of touch screen before you can see the camera feed. BeatSonic switch (or similar switch) will have the ability to see the camera when you needed in that moment by press a switch. That is a directly camera feed to the screen, not via any kind of apps.

Quick Reply: CarPlay integration with OEM head unit on 2014 GX460 - Successful