GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

CarPlay integration with OEM head unit on 2014 GX460 - Successful

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-20, 07:11 PM
tipsytopsy
Pit Crew

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts

Another happy customer of this unit. Great help from @hzhao and @ObsidianBl for my install. The only few issues which are mentioned in this thread and hopefully they're a software fix:

1. Voice on nav - first few seconds get cut off each time. Sometimes I don't even hear a guidance at all.
2. Misses touch a lot on the launcher and setting menu (android auto is very smooth, i think the touch can be fixed on the launcher. Because the missed are real, almost always need clicks twice).

Good: Since the unit is slim, the install is perfectly smooth and tidy inside the console. Android auto is awesome and so is the google assistant integration. The front camera and other camera (it supports side too) is awesome.. almost same as native 360 cam in RX.

​​​​​
​​​​​
​​​
The following 2 users liked this post by tipsytopsy:
hzhao (09-18-20), ObsidianBl (09-20-20)
Old 09-19-20, 07:11 AM
tipsytopsy
Pit Crew

Hello @hzhao - since we're still in the sales cycle, can you ask you contact at Lsailt to provide the 'upgrade' password and how to we upgrade as and when then have new software available? Sorry I dont have wechat and no direct line of communication with tech guy there.

@RussianGx we don't have a static reducing module you had them provide.. where exactly did you have to hook it and how to reproduce this issue? Because its now or never we can complain and get some fixes from them.
Old 09-19-20, 07:32 AM
hzhao
Racer

Received 985 Likes on 570 Posts

Originally Posted by tipsytopsy
Hello @hzhao - since we're still in the sales cycle, can you ask you contact at Lsailt to provide the 'upgrade' password and how to we upgrade as and when then have new software available? Sorry I dont have wechat and no direct line of communication with tech guy there.

@RussianGx we don't have a static reducing module you had them provide.. where exactly did you have to hook it and how to reproduce this issue? Because its now or never we can complain and get some fixes from them.
@tipsytopsy the password for upgrade is 2180. However, there is no update for GX for now, and be aware, running MCU update to a different version which is intended for other vehicles could brick your unit. I won’t do any update unless factory has instructed to do so. When it is became available, you will need to connected to WiFi in order to do update. As for the static noise filter, it only apply to previous version of the unit, which CarPlay is on an external dongle, not applicable to current unit.

Hope that info helps.
The following 2 users liked this post by hzhao:
Acrad (09-19-20), tipsytopsy (09-19-20)
Old 09-20-20, 04:51 PM
ObsidianBl
Advanced

Received 195 Likes on 129 Posts

@tipsytopsy
did you change the screen type to the Lexus E800?

hzhao recommended this and it seems to help with the touch screen.

the google maps voice prompts getting cut off is really annoying. I had a similar problem when I used the OEM Bluetooth to play voice prompts.
Old 09-20-20, 06:19 PM
tipsytopsy
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by ObsidianBl
@tipsytopsy
did you change the screen type to the Lexus E800?

hzhao recommended this and it seems to help with the touch screen.

the google maps voice prompts getting cut off is really annoying. I had a similar problem when I used the OEM Bluetooth to play voice prompts.
Yeah, I've L800 configured but the touch is still crap.. But i guess I'm still happy given that I've android auto on this legacy platform.

And I found the issue with google maps voice prompt. The initialization of playing the sound takes a few seconds to initialize. But if you have an audio app like Spotify or Pandora playing music, the voice prompts will not get cut off.

I use Android Auto (not carplay) so the audio integration is always car's native bluetooth.. so that piece works very well (including phone calls).
The following users liked this post:
hzhao (09-20-20)
Old 10-27-20, 05:35 PM
tuandino
Pit Crew

Received 64 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by coolsaber
paging @tuandino who posted his take on the setup.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...l#post10562582
Sorry guys, I haven't been very active on here lately. I installed my android unit summer last year. Looking at this thread, it looks like mine is the older version that require different installation method. I had to dissemble the touchscreen and modify it a bit so that it can retain the touch function when using android unit. Not sure if it's any better than the newer method that you guys are doing, but to me it's not really responsive and precise at all. It went through several over the air updates, usage is pretty smooth now.
Old 11-02-20, 10:40 AM
BiggSean
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

@hzhao I believe you mentioned earlier in this thread that you also use a Beatsonic front camera interface.

I already have the LSAILT interface installed and I'm quite happy with it. I'm installing a rear dual-swingout bumper which will obscure my factory camera.

I plan on buying the Beatsonic interface so I can hook up an aftermarket front AND rear camera. Can you please confirm that the Beatsonic interface currently works with the LSAILT?
Old 11-02-20, 10:45 AM
hzhao
Racer

Received 985 Likes on 570 Posts

Originally Posted by BiggSean
@hzhao I believe you mentioned earlier in this thread that you also use a Beatsonic front camera interface.

I already have the LSAILT interface installed and I'm quite happy with it. I'm installing a rear dual-swingout bumper which will obscure my factory camera.

I plan on buying the Beatsonic interface so I can hook up an aftermarket front AND rear camera. Can you please confirm that the Beatsonic interface currently works with the LSAILT?
@BiggSean yes. It does work with Lsailt unit.
Old 11-02-20, 10:46 AM
BiggSean
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by hzhao
@BiggSean yes. It does work with Lsailt unit.
Thank you for confirming! I will be ordering one right away.
Old 11-02-20, 01:41 PM
tipsytopsy
Pit Crew

Offtopic.. but my camera (a cheap one from Amazon) is dark and not nice.. which one do you have and are you happy with it?
Old 11-02-20, 01:42 PM
tipsytopsy
Pit Crew

Thank you for confirming! I will be ordering one right away.
I see that Lsalit supports both front and back aftermarket (at least in settings).. have you tried that? Beatsonic is probably not needed i think
Old 11-02-20, 01:54 PM
BiggSean
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by tipsytopsy
I see that Lsalit supports both front and back aftermarket (at least in settings).. have you tried that? Beatsonic is probably not needed i think
Yes it does, however you have to navigate through the android apps in order to access that. I use my GX460 for off-roading in some very extreme environments, so I want something that instantly accessible at the push of a button without me having to look at or play with the settings on the screen.
Old 11-02-20, 02:12 PM
tipsytopsy
Pit Crew

Yes it does, however you have to navigate through the android apps in order to access that. I use my GX460 for off-roading in some very extreme environments, so I want something that instantly accessible at the push of a button without me having to look at or play with the settings on the screen.
Makes sense.. no button.. just forward (with a high beam flash) and reverse will auto show the cam.. but not on demand with a button.
Old 11-02-20, 03:05 PM
tipsytopsy
Pit Crew

i think you missed my question since i posted twice.. can you please give info on a good cam you've found?
Old 11-04-20, 04:24 AM
tipsytopsy
Pit Crew

@hzhao @ObsidianBl

Did you guys notice or measure any battery drain don't by Lsailt unit? Due to WFH my car is not driven that much.. but I had a dead battery last week and I had done a 200 mile trip the weekend prior to it (so not a long period of drain time).

Is there any way to measure drain on this? I don't know if OBD will provide battery drain on individual level.

​​​​​​And since I don't have wechat, can you ping their tech guy to see if they have any OTA updates on this unit we can install? May be it improves something.

Thanks in advance!

Quick Reply: CarPlay integration with OEM head unit on 2014 GX460 - Successful