CarPlay integration with OEM head unit on 2014 GX460 - Successful

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-20, 04:36 AM
hzhao
Racer

Received 985 Likes on 570 Posts

Originally Posted by tipsytopsy
@hzhao @ObsidianBl

Did you guys notice or measure any battery drain don't by Lsailt unit? Due to WFH my car is not driven that much.. but I had a dead battery last week and I had done a 200 mile trip the weekend prior to it (so not a long period of drain time).

Is there any way to measure drain on this? I don't know if OBD will provide battery drain on individual level.

​​​​​​And since I don't have wechat, can you ping their tech guy to see if they have any OTA updates on this unit we can install? May be it improves something.

Thanks in advance!
@tipsytopsy The standby power drain on the unit is about 7mA, I have both GX and LX with Lsailt units installed and have left them in garage for over a week without any issues. Based on the info, 7mA drain would last for weeks. Question for you is, did you check if your unit went into standby mode after lock the GX? One way to verify is have a phone plug in at UBS port for CarPlay, you should see the charging stopped after few minutes with doors locked.
Old 11-04-20, 04:39 AM
tipsytopsy
Pit Crew

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by hzhao
@tipsytopsy The standby power drain on the unit is about 7mA, I have both GX and LX with Lsailt units installed and have left them in garage for over a week without any issues. Based on the info, 7mA drain would last for weeks. Question for you is, did you check if your unit went into standby mode after lock the GX? One way to verify is have a phone plug in at UBS port for CarPlay, you should see the charging stopped after few minutes with doors locked.
Good idea, I'll check that soon. Hopefully door closed and door locked are the same thing for going to standby.. since I never lock my cars when in garage.
Old 11-04-20, 06:01 AM
hzhao
Racer

Good idea, I'll check that soon. Hopefully door closed and door locked are the same thing for going to standby.. since I never lock my cars when in garage.
there might be different. When I unlock the door, I can see it powering up. But didn’t check if leave the door unlocked whether it would return to standby status.
Old 11-04-20, 09:54 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Would it work on a 2020 Base/non Nav headunit?
Old 11-04-20, 10:26 AM
hzhao
Racer

Originally Posted by coolsaber
Would it work on a 2020 Base/non Nav headunit?
Don't think so. Not from function perspective, mainly the wire harnesses. The current one is only plug and play with the harnesses that is with the nav head unit. But, if you willing to re-mapping the wire and tap them into non-nave head units, it may just work fine.
Old 11-05-20, 06:13 AM
ObsidianBl
Advanced

Received 195 Likes on 129 Posts

@tipsytopsy
I’ve left the GX sitting for 7-10 days and haven’t had any issues with the battery. The only time I killed my battery was during installation when I left the interior lights constantly on while playing with the LSAILT unit without the engine on.
Old 11-20-20, 08:01 AM
KYGX
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

hzhao I emailed David and did not hear back, so I contacted Cosmo at the address on their site. He got right back to me and told me that they still do not support the 2010-2013 models. I was hoping the unit would work since after researching, I prefer it over the Vline.
Old 11-21-20, 07:04 AM
hzhao
Racer

Originally Posted by KYGX
hzhao I emailed David and did not hear back, so I contacted Cosmo at the address on their site. He got right back to me and told me that they still do not support the 2010-2013 models. I was hoping the unit would work since after researching, I prefer it over the Vline.
I had talked to David a while back about 2010-2013, it seems there is quite bit of different in CAN communication differences from 2014+ models. Making harnesses is the easy part, but software change is nearly require the re-written. Since there is not enough 2010-2013 buyers, it is hard to justify the create a separate production.
Old 11-21-20, 08:27 PM
Ab175
Intermediate

Received 89 Likes on 66 Posts

Hey Guys, I am looking into purchasing the Lsailt unit for my 2014 GX460 premium and for my dad's 2018 GX460 premium. This is the aliexpress link I found that seems to be the correct unit: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32839646985.html however, the price seems much higher than what everyone else has been paying. Is this the right page, and if so does anyone know where I might be able to find it slightly cheaper? Additionally, I am concerned about getting in over my head with this installation. I have been through this thread to try and learn the process for installation but I am still a little unconfident. Can anyone speak to if the unit comes with good instructions or explanation of how to install this in specifically the GX? I am not really too confident with the dash removal steps and just want to make sure I do it all correctly. Thanks in advance for your help!
Old 11-22-20, 07:57 AM
hzhao
Racer

Originally Posted by Ab175
Hey Guys, I am looking into purchasing the Lsailt unit for my 2014 GX460 premium and for my dad's 2018 GX460 premium. This is the aliexpress link I found that seems to be the correct unit: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32839646985.html however, the price seems much higher than what everyone else has been paying. Is this the right page, and if so does anyone know where I might be able to find it slightly cheaper? Additionally, I am concerned about getting in over my head with this installation. I have been through this thread to try and learn the process for installation but I am still a little unconfident. Can anyone speak to if the unit comes with good instructions or explanation of how to install this in specifically the GX? I am not really too confident with the dash removal steps and just want to make sure I do it all correctly. Thanks in advance for your help!
The installation is fairly straight forward with two main cable harnesses to connect. The instructions come with the unit is simply but with clear pictures for which connectors to use. The hardest part is to remove the dash and head units. You probably already washed various videos on how to remove, not difficult, but certain level of confidence and comfortable to work with car will help. Just take time and go through the process, you should be just fine. This is a great community, and you are welcome to ask question and there is always handful of members willing to jump in and help. Also I have send you a PM about the unit purchasing.
Old 11-26-20, 04:49 PM
tipsytopsy
Pit Crew

I posted some chatter in the 'what did you do' thread. But here's my status on this Lsailt unit issue: it has a very high battery drain, so the car almost cannot stay ON in ACC mode or it would kill the battery. I'm going to have the battery checked soon, but I did a lot of checks after getting the battery fully charged and all things narrow down to Lsailt unit. I took out the unit and restored the nav to stock - there is no parisitic drain now. The only difference I've from what Hzhao's setup is that I'm using a front camera hooked to this unit and seems like it constantly sends 12v to the camera, not just on trigger.

I've pinged Lsailt sales rep, hopefully their tech guy has whatsapp (I'm not able to create a wechat account since it asks to getting someone else with wechat to verify me and i don't know anyone in my reach).
Old 11-26-20, 06:08 PM
hzhao
Racer

I posted some chatter in the 'what did you do' thread. But here's my status on this Lsailt unit issue: it has a very high battery drain, so the car almost cannot stay ON in ACC mode or it would kill the battery. I'm going to have the battery checked soon, but I did a lot of checks after getting the battery fully charged and all things narrow down to Lsailt unit. I took out the unit and restored the nav to stock - there is no parisitic drain now. The only difference I've from what Hzhao's setup is that I'm using a front camera hooked to this unit and seems like it constantly sends 12v to the camera, not just on trigger.

I've pinged Lsailt sales rep, hopefully their tech guy has whatsapp (I'm not able to create a wechat account since it asks to getting someone else with wechat to verify me and i don't know anyone in my reach).
where did you get the power to your camera? you should always use the ACC power source to your camera. There is few spots available from the fuse block under the steering wheel next to OBD terminal. If you use the constant power for your camera then you will kill the battery. Lsailt has a standby feature for fast start, it will retain the power after ignition off for about 3 minutes. After that, it only retain for 7mA for sleeping mode.
Old 11-26-20, 06:13 PM
tipsytopsy
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by hzhao
where did you get the power to your camera? you should always use the ACC power source to your camera. There is few spots available from the fuse block under the steering wheel next to OBD terminal. If you use the constant power for your camera then you will kill the battery. Lsailt has a standby feature for fast start, it will retain the power after ignition off for about 3 minutes. After that, it only retain for 7mA for sleeping mode.
Camera does not require constant power (should be fine with the trigger wire like a rear cam) - i used the brown wire in Lsailt harness which is meant for front camera power. So should I not use the power out of the harness and use another fused acc power? Also - when my camera was not connected (taking that out if equation), the battery was still draining. So likely its not just the camera issue. I'm not sure how to check the power drain on just Lsailt unit because of the way it pulls power from the oem master harness.

Clarification: brown composite end is for front camera and the red/white wire labelled 'cam power' was used to power the camera.

Last edited by tipsytopsy; 11-26-20 at 06:17 PM.
Old 12-19-20, 06:55 PM
tipsytopsy
Pit Crew

Can someone check and see what is the value for 'Lcd Clock' in the factory settings screen for 'Screen Type'? (screen where we select 'Lexus E 800'). I've Lcd Clock 38.. not sure what that is and what effect it has on the touch screen.
Old 12-20-20, 05:23 AM
hzhao
Racer

Can someone check and see what is the value for 'Lcd Clock' in the factory settings screen for 'Screen Type'? (screen where we select 'Lexus E 800'). I've Lcd Clock 38.. not sure what that is and what effect it has on the touch screen.
The slection of different type of screens are meant for different display drivers with slightly different vertical refresh rates, there is nothing to do with the touch screen elements. You can try each of them (except for 1280 which is configured for ultra wide screen), the differences that you may find is the vertical overlap slightly due to difference in refresh rate. The “LC200” screen type will be correct on for GX460, as 2015 or older LX570 and LC200 uses the same 8” touch screen as on GX460.
The following users liked this post:
tipsytopsy (12-20-20)

Quick Reply: CarPlay integration with OEM head unit on 2014 GX460 - Successful