GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

CarPlay integration with OEM head unit on 2014 GX460 - Successful

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-20, 01:35 PM
hzhao
Racer

Received 985 Likes on 570 Posts
Default CarPlay integration with OEM head unit on 2014 GX460 - Successful

Many claimed CarPlay solutions for GX, but many have the issues with specific head unit compatibility. The most of those Android based solution also didn't play with the OEM function well. Most recently, I had also tried 15" vertical GX solution unsuccessful. Several weeks back, Grom Audio had offered some promising product for GX, but at the end, it was limited to 2010 to 2013 due to head unit and CAN bus communication compatibility issues. At last Lsailt offered a solution that will work cross board GX line, for a reasonable cost, I decided to give one more try. After several hours of work in 90 degree garage, the results are surprisingly good! Here are some of details:

1. The kit:

Here is the kit that Lsailt send to me:

It's pretty straight forward kit, a main harness that connects to head unit's Aux input and main control CAN bus, a display cable, a GPS antenna should you want to using the Android Navigation apps, a speaker, only used for Android Navigation instruction, several video input and output cables for entertainment purposes. Not in the picture are a small wifi antenna and a dummy 3.5mm plug to enable the AUX selection on the console. As like every products from China, Instruction or manual are never part of the package. A simple generic installation and operation sheet is all you get. However, I do give some credit to that sheet, at least it is mostly accurate. Luckily, I still remembered my native language, was able to have little chat with the Lsailt engineer, just to make sure few questions that I have and could not find answers. One video connection from the main harness was for the rear seat entertainment system, which has never been mentioned anywhere. With all the logistics out away, I ventured myself to the installation.

2. Installation:

First thing what I did was some of the planning and pre-work, try to make the final install as OEM look as possible. Two items were challenging to me. While I am not really looking fr using Android Navigation, but thought it would be good to have an added backup solution. GPS antenna is easy to deal with, but the little speaker will need to find a place to go, yet not sticks out as ugly as it is in the kit. The fist place I figured would be in the center speaker location on top of the dash where there is some available space. So I took a part of the speaker from the kit, tried off little plastic back side of the speak grill, a little double sided tape late, it is just a perfect fit!

The second challenge is those USB ports. The kit has three USB ports, labeled as USB, USB 1 and USB 2. USB is for CarPlay, the USB 1 is for software update or media play, the USB 2 is media play only. My original plan was use one of those Toyota USB converter cable to connect OEM USB port to the CarPlay port. But that failed and give me the error. My guess was OEM ports had two ports combined and just not compatible with the kit, So I had to find another solution to mount those USB ports. The area I decided to go with is the storage bin in front of fear shift. I had previously installed wireless charging pad, I decided re-routed all the USB cables behind the charging pad, then Super glued CarPlay USB port on the side, leaving the other two behind only for needed basis.

The dummy plug is a bit tall, so just simply cut it off the top, there is no wires, so no need to worry. I just cut it off enough to make sure the sliding door can be closed. GPS antenna is a simple install, just stick it on top of the center vent inside the dash.

The rest of installation is fairly simply, truly plug and play. There are two connectors on head unit, and one connector from back of the display. There are lots of space under the center shift console. I already have the 360 video display module installed in that place, I just simply velcored this one on top of the 360 module.

To operate, it is pretty easy and simply, just select the AUX from your audio source, The Android c=screen displays. from there, you can select CarPlay or any other Android apps. For me, CarPlay is the primary interest. When you exit, it remebers your last app/screen. So, if I was on CarPlay before shut off, when I restart, as long as my phone connected, the CarPlay show up right way. Everything as expected, includes Siri. Also all the steering wheel control.

Here is a short video I took for demonstration. I did it on the phone was connected to CarPlay. So, it may impact a bit of quality and/or performance. It just a raw video, and I am too lazy to edit it. FOr any or you have specific question or like to see some thing in particular, I can alway post something later.

3. Conclusion:

So far, this is the best solution that I have experiences. Even with all the planing and working on the speaker and USB cables, it only took about 3 hours from beginning to finishing. It delivered as promised. For those Android lovers, I am sure that you may get more out of this unit. For me, the CarPlay just offers another added value and convenience. Will give a little bit of time to see if the quality hold up. This is a very back and initial review on the unit and install. I will spend some time in coming days to explore some other functions.

Last edited by hzhao; 09-05-20 at 10:02 PM.
The following 23 users liked this post by hzhao:
303mtnGX (10-28-21), Acrad (08-14-20), bbqsoup (08-15-20), CFAI (08-14-20), coolsaber (08-14-20), DaveGS4 (08-14-20), EANX (01-15-21), GoHuskers (08-14-20), HedgeFund (08-16-20), JoshDrivin (08-15-20), Kiza (08-14-20), krazykrnbo (05-22-21), leftyguns (08-15-20), ltsr (08-14-20), MarkVII (08-14-20), ObsidianBl (08-14-20), pivaralgs3 (08-16-20), Questtt3 (08-31-20), rusn007 (09-15-20), SigEpGX460 (08-15-20), sinistar (08-15-20), tecman (08-14-20), WRD4chano (08-14-20) and 18 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 08-14-20, 01:56 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Subscribed for the long term review! Good stuff as usual!
Old 08-14-20, 02:17 PM
ObsidianBl
Advanced

Received 195 Likes on 129 Posts

Looking good! I’ll probably install mine after work tonight or tomorrow. It’s still too hot for me out in the garage.
Old 08-14-20, 02:40 PM
Kiza
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Where did you find it for $400? Is this the same unit?.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3300...55124761gP7u1k
Old 08-14-20, 02:45 PM
hzhao
Racer

Originally Posted by Kiza
Where did you find it for $400? Is this the same unit?.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3300...55124761gP7u1k
I ordered directly from Lsailt by contacting the individuals on their website.
Old 08-14-20, 03:16 PM
BaseCamper
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for posting this @hzhao I have a batch of these units coming in in the next couple of days and this install video will help all of us get a jumpstart on using the Lsailt. I too have primary interest in CarPlay (with wireless dongle) and I'm sure in time will tinker with more Android stuff. This is going to be a great thread as I really feel like many 2014+ GX owners will want to get this. Our batch #1 went from China to Japan to Alaska.. so really any day now.
Old 08-14-20, 04:17 PM
JoshDrivin
Driver

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Subscribed.
Old 08-14-20, 10:14 PM
RussianGx
Driver School Candidate

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Thumbs up

got the same system installed

cost more then 400 for me purchased on sale from aliexpress.
I paid 480 plus shipping plus tax for 2gb android 9 system with wifi carplay dongle

you can see my progress with it here
BTW they made a filter if you have any static issues for aux.

another LSAILT install
Old 08-14-20, 10:33 PM
WRD4chano
Advanced

Received 129 Likes on 98 Posts

can someone clarify the years this device is compatible with?

thanks
Old 08-14-20, 10:51 PM
BaseCamper
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2014+

Originally Posted by WRD4chano

thanks
this unit is for 2014+
Old 08-15-20, 05:23 AM
hzhao
Racer

Originally Posted by WRD4chano

thanks
Per my conversation with Lsailt, this latest one compatible with most of 2010+ Lexus and Toyota models. You need to specify the model/year, the major differences would be cable harnesses and various key/selection combination in operation. It also offer added touch screen add-on for various size of OEM non-touch screen unit. The principle for this solution is to utilize the OEM AUX input and CAN bus control.
The following 5 users liked this post by hzhao:
Acrad (08-15-20), bbqsoup (08-15-20), EANX (01-15-21), JoshDrivin (08-15-20), WRD4chano (08-15-20)
Old 08-15-20, 05:56 AM
SigEpGX460
Pit Crew

Received 59 Likes on 35 Posts

Nice work hzhao! Thank you for always being the pioneer on these solutions. Now I can finally get the wife off my back and get rid of that monstrous Tesla unit.
Old 08-15-20, 06:58 AM
hzhao
Racer

Originally Posted by SigEpGX460
Nice work hzhao! Thank you for always being the pioneer on these solutions. Now I can finally get the wife off my back and get rid of that monstrous Tesla unit.
“Pioneer” would be too heavy of the hat for me Without many expert’s advises and members contribution, I would never ventured myself that far. I am just glad to be part of this community and be able to contribute something that can be benefit to others. Thanks you all for the vote of confidence.
The following 5 users liked this post by hzhao:
303mtnGX (10-28-21), GoHuskers (08-16-20), Mattt (09-01-21), qwertykid0 (09-06-20), ROSCOGX470 (07-14-21)
Old 08-15-20, 12:53 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,652 Likes on 2,391 Posts

Just a reminder about the ClubLexus group buy rules

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/faq...faq_group_buys

"Group Buys (GB) or bulk sales are allowed ONLY in conjunction with a Club Lexus authorized vendor. ‘Gathering interest’ posts for group buys or new products are also not allowed without the prior support of an authorized Club Lexus vendor which can be coordinated directly through the vendor or requested of moderators or the forum administrator. Linking to group buys sponsored by non-CLUB LEXUS vendors or on other sites/forums is not allowed.

Inappropriate GB posts will be promptly closed or removed without notice."
Old 08-15-20, 01:19 PM
bbqsoup
Racer

Received 599 Likes on 425 Posts

Awesome!!!!

I’m curious as if there are any differences between this and Grome Vline for 10-13 MY.
I saw DTV and VCR modes, are they for playing video from Iphone or an external source?
The following users liked this post:
Acrad (08-15-20)

Quick Reply: CarPlay integration with OEM head unit on 2014 GX460 - Successful