GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Captain's Chairs Questions, Concerns, Comments

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-18, 03:18 PM
Sns1938
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 2015 CPO for $45k sold.

I'm happy enough with a deal like this one. Will see what I can organize in the next few months. Much higher milage at this price, and I'll just go new 4Runner (the white Limited with brown leather is pretty nice)

Old 01-07-18, 06:55 AM
HotKoolaid
Driver School Candidate

I know this not what you're after but my .02 cents is free so here we go...I found myself in a base 2011 GX with a few little add ons like vented seats, folding mirrors, remote starts, etc. The truck was one owner and had pretty good service records. I think it was just shy of 88k miles. I ended up giving the dealership $20k. Granted I was in no hurry and shopped for probably 3 months. Probably put my hands on a dozen or more GX before finding the right one. I was just like you and ready to spend $35k on a 2014 sub 60k mile example. My good friend and long time land cruiser enthusiast talked me into the the older GX. His reasoning was that 26k miles is not worth $15k. I actually ended up paying less than a comparable 4runner or Tundra and $7,000 less than carmax wanted for an older GX with more miles.

Again, I know you're not looking for a budget friendly GX, but it might be worth thinking about.
Old 01-07-18, 12:35 PM
Sns1938
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by HotKoolaid
I know this not what you're after but my .02 cents is free so here we go...I found myself in a base 2011 GX with a few little add ons like vented seats, folding mirrors, remote starts, etc. The truck was one owner and had pretty good service records. I think it was just shy of 88k miles. I ended up giving the dealership $20k. Granted I was in no hurry and shopped for probably 3 months. Probably put my hands on a dozen or more GX before finding the right one. I was just like you and ready to spend $35k on a 2014 sub 60k mile example. My good friend and long time land cruiser enthusiast talked me into the the older GX. His reasoning was that 26k miles is not worth $15k. I actually ended up paying less than a comparable 4runner or Tundra and $7,000 less than carmax wanted for an older GX with more miles.

Again, I know you're not looking for a budget friendly GX, but it might be worth thinking about.
Thanks. If I can find a deal like that, I would buy too. I would feel a lot more comfortable with a $20k car rather than the higher $30's or even new at $50k. It is truly amazing to me that GX's end up cheaper than comparable 4Runners.
Old 01-07-18, 12:55 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,384 Posts

Originally Posted by Sns1938
Thanks. If I can find a deal like that, I would buy too. I would feel a lot more comfortable with a $20k car rather than the higher $30's or even new at $50k. It is truly amazing to me that GX's end up cheaper than comparable 4Runners.
It may start coming around pricewise... the off-road/overlanding market is now starting to catch up with the GX. All the parts are now there...
Old 01-07-18, 04:30 PM
Sns1938
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Acrad35751
It may start coming around pricewise... the off-road/overlanding market is now starting to catch up with the GX. All the parts are now there...
Yeah, I guess good things can't stay secret for ever. The super smooth V8, that still matches the 4Runner for mpg on the freeway. The sound deadening and build quality etc. I should buy something in the next few months.
Old 03-14-18, 12:44 PM
Dacascos
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sport Design Package WITHOUT Captains Chair

Hey everyone,
New to the forum, but long time visitor.
Finally deciding to go for the GX 460 by the end of this month. One thing I have noticed it that there is no GX 460 premium or luxury available with Sport Design Package but without Captains chair. Why is that?
Sport Design Package looks so good but why bundle up Captains Chair with it?
Is there a way to get it without Captains Chair? or Retro fitting is the only option? I know Canada gets the Sport Design Package without Captains Chair, but why not here?
Old 03-14-18, 01:21 PM
tuandino
Pit Crew

Received 64 Likes on 42 Posts

I raised the same complaint to Lexus earlier this year. It's sad that Sport Design Package only come with captains chair for 2018. Even worse, 2017 luxury trim only comes with captain chairs. Why force people to get captain chairs if they want luxury trim???
Old 03-14-18, 03:27 PM
rotaiva
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I posted the same question in this forrum. You can buy parts separately and install. But it costs more than buying sport package. I'd think that those price for the parts will go down eventually.
Old 06-01-18, 10:32 AM
rcho
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 2017 GX 460 with captains chairs

Have anyone swap the Captains Chairs to Bench Chairs?
Also does the 13 to 18 chairs interchangeable?
Old 06-01-18, 02:08 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

You might find someone willing to do a swap the if color was the same. It was asked in another thread around here somewhere. Option hasn't been around that long on a limited number of vehicles so not likely to find someone who has done it.
Old 06-01-18, 03:55 PM
hzhao
Racer

Received 982 Likes on 568 Posts

Originally Posted by rcho
Have anyone swap the Captains Chairs to Bench Chairs?
Also does the 13 to 18 chairs interchangeable?
I am not sure if captain chair and bench chair are interchangeable due to the sliding tracks are different.
Old 06-01-18, 04:04 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

That's a good point. This is one of those niche mods that may take someone pulling seats out and taking measurements for mounting holes as well.
Old 06-01-18, 06:42 PM
rcho
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Lexus have not change its design for a while, from the looks of both the cap chair and bench, the mounting holes are very close, I would think lexus not going to make any chasis changes for the seats right? Any one in Chicago Land want light tan cap chairs? (swap for bench seats). I got a L cert 17’ Luxury, with sport pack and driver support.
Old 06-01-18, 07:29 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 863 Likes on 598 Posts

Originally Posted by rcho
Lexus have not change its design for a while, from the looks of both the cap chair and bench, the mounting holes are very close, I would think lexus not going to make any chasis changes for the seats right? Any one in Chicago Land want light tan cap chairs? (swap for bench seats). I got a L cert 17’ Luxury, with sport pack and driver support.
Captain seats was a design change. “Mounting holes very close”. Not sure about that?
Old 08-07-18, 02:34 PM
ksquare88
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default captain chair or bench in the 2nd row

Anyone has captain chair in the 2nd row care to share if this is better option than the bench option? Thank you.

Quick Reply: Captain's Chairs Questions, Concerns, Comments