GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Cross-shopping

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-20, 04:46 PM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

^^^ Back to the drawing board I guess. She drove a CX-9 after visiting the Lexus dealer and liked it. Frankly, that may be the closest thing with 3 rows to the driving experience of our Cayenne. I could go along with that one as well; I know the 3rd row is small, but it's sufficient for as much as we'll use it. They have captain's chairs second row options, like the GX, which we like since both our kids are still in car seats and will be for a while longer and will allow to easier passage to the third row.

We both really like the GLS class but I really don't want to spend that much money on a car the little ones are going to abuse...
The following users liked this post:
Chaos236 (03-19-20)
Old 03-23-20, 02:15 PM
flipnbrit
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ever consider the MDX SH AWD? Great handling, smooth ride, decent power, and 3 rows. As much as I would like a GX for weekend excursions, I know my wife likes the drive of our second MDX, plus MPG isn't too bad either, hence why I didn't pursue the GX as her daily.
Old 03-25-20, 09:48 PM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by flipnbrit
Ever consider the MDX SH AWD? Great handling, smooth ride, decent power, and 3 rows. As much as I would like a GX for weekend excursions, I know my wife likes the drive of our second MDX, plus MPG isn't too bad either, hence why I didn't pursue the GX as her daily.
We have not really considered and Honda/Acura products; my wife didn't like the previous generation styling and we've just never revisited it. It's probably not a problem these days, but for some reason, the transmission issues with the V6s always creep up when I think about Honda/Acura.

All that said, I have ridden in my co-worker's 2018 MDX on numerous occasions and it does ride very nicely. We saw the 2020 model at a car show earlier this year and I liked the interior, by my wife didn't pay it much attention.
Old 03-28-20, 03:39 PM
WRD4chano
Advanced

Received 129 Likes on 98 Posts

None! I don't even know how I ended up shopping for a gx, but they looked good in traffic and when I test drove it, I really liked how maneuverable it was for its size, with light steering. Things I dont like, no acc, very thirsty yet not fast. The brakes, really wish they would make up their mind on how pedal travel is needed to stop. Seems to change around each time you brake. One time its sharp and confidence inspiring, the next time it's spongy with no real bite.
Old 03-30-20, 04:46 PM
CFAI
Advanced

Received 321 Likes on 218 Posts

We were looking for used/CPO. We looked at a few CPO RX, an MDX and a 4Runner limited before getting a '13 CPO GX. In all honestly, I think the RX would have been fine, and it was about $3k or $4k less, but happy with the GX.
Old 08-09-20, 06:10 AM
chris01919
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cross Shopping GX and Tundra

Has anyone considered a Tundra? I'll need a replacement for my GX within about a year. I love the GX but is it really worth buying a new one 10+ years into that design when the Tundra will be redesigned next year? A new Tundra Platinum is about the same price as a new GX. I'd like to hear your thoughts.

Old 08-09-20, 07:45 AM
jkonquer
Instructor

Received 79 Likes on 64 Posts

I am considering this as well when my lease i over for my 18 GX in a year.
I picked the GX previously mainly due to the third row seat and the luxury. But I hardly ever use it the third row. Now that I'm camping and offroading, I feel that Tundra fit the role little better. More cargo spaces and much larger back seats with multiple car seats. And has similar MPG as the GX but with more power.
My only gripe is that Tundra is just too big for everyday use. Also the discount is as much on the tundra mainly due to their lack of inventory.
Old 08-09-20, 07:53 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

I have considered a Tundra when the leases were abnormally low. Space, power, exhaust note on the TRDs are great. Its pretty modern as one can get on such an old platform. Its not as refined as the GX, but the price/value was enough. The only issue though was they didnt have the color I wanted.

The GX is quite narrower, more refined but its lacking some essential tech (infotainment side) and its tows less.

Overall both are solid choices, but just different ideas and sizes. If your towing above the GX limit the Tundra is a better choice. If you can wait till next year when the launch the tundra then by all means, the cards are in your favor to pick up this gen at a lower price new (new one is not going be cheap).

Last edited by coolsaber; 08-09-20 at 06:00 PM.
WRD4chano (08-09-20)
Old 08-09-20, 08:00 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,246 Likes on 1,363 Posts

Current tundra model has been out since 2007 (with lots of little refinements since then). A brand new model will come out in 2022 (fall 2021) which might be available within your timeline

edit sorry just reread your original post where you said that already

Last edited by DaveGS4; 08-09-20 at 08:04 AM.
Old 08-09-20, 12:01 PM
jkonquer
Instructor

Also consider 38 gal tank.
clearmysix (08-09-20)
Old 08-09-20, 03:44 PM
chris01919
Rookie

Glad I'm not the only one who's thought about this. My father has a 2020 Platinum and I've driven it quite a bit. Definitely not as refined but when the new one comes out it sure is going to be a lot more modern than the GX. Plus you get just about all of the features and then some--power folding mirrors, apple car play, more power, huge back seat (third row is nice but makes the second row much smaller). The ride quality is about the same from what I can tell. Resale value is considerably higher. I still love the Lexus but the platform is just so old for a 2021 or 2022.
Old 08-09-20, 03:58 PM
jkonquer
Instructor

Originally Posted by chris01919
Glad I'm not the only one who's thought about this. My father has a 2020 Platinum and I've driven it quite a bit. Definitely not as refined but when the new one comes out it sure is going to be a lot more modern than the GX. Plus you get just about all of the features and then some--power folding mirrors, apple car play, more power, huge back seat (third row is nice but makes the second row much smaller). The ride quality is about the same from what I can tell. Resale value is considerably higher. I still love the Lexus but the platform is just so old for a 2021 or 2022.
I think majority of the GX and Tundra owners aren't looking for creature comforts, but rather reliability and ruggedness. I'm not sure about the hybrid system on a truck.

Last edited by jkonquer; 08-09-20 at 06:28 PM.
Old 08-09-20, 06:04 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

^1000000%

The GXs makes alot of sacrifices as a new car. Heck I sat in a new Highlander and I was absolutely stunned by the tech, refinement (dont get me started on a q5/GLS/X7)

If you have already waiting this long, might as well wait for the Tundra unveiling. Toyota Tundra hybrids would have my vote if it produced the power (I mean more then the measly F150 hybrid); reliability is not even a question.
Old 08-11-20, 03:02 PM
louscrw
Rookie

Received 56 Likes on 12 Posts

I had a 2015 Crewmax Tundra and traded it in for a 2017 Crewmax Tundra and traded it in for a 2020 GX. As mentioned above, the Tundra is in no way more modern than the GX. The Tundra platform hasn’t changed since 2007. However, it works, so Toyota isn’t changing it...same as Lexus.

The advantages of the Tundra over the GX are 1) the backseat is bigger in a Tundra. 2) the Tundra had a bed 3) towing capacity. For me, I was tired of driving a truck, and the GX has as good of reliability as a Tundra, a V8 that can still tow my boat, but is nicer to drive. If you’ve never had a truck before, especially a Crewmax, parking them can be a PITA sometimes on tight streets or small parking lots w/ small spaces. Oh, and the Tundra is a gas hog, make sure you get the 38 gallon tank (standard w/ the towing package). My lifted Tundra on M/T tires was getting about 13mpg average. Towing, I got 8mpg. Compared to the GX, first time I towed the same boat, I got 10.5mpg.

If I were buying another ½ ton truck today, the Tundra is the only one I would consider...it’s a great truck.

Edit: there are a few members here in the GX forums that also own Tundras. I’ve seen them on the tundras.com forum. I’d go check out that forum as well

Last edited by louscrw; 08-11-20 at 03:08 PM.
Old 08-17-20, 06:47 AM
chris01919
Rookie

Originally Posted by coolsaber
^1000000%

The GXs makes alot of sacrifices as a new car. Heck I sat in a new Highlander and I was absolutely stunned by the tech, refinement (dont get me started on a q5/GLS/X7)

If you have already waiting this long, might as well wait for the Tundra unveiling. Toyota Tundra hybrids would have my vote if it produced the power (I mean more then the measly F150 hybrid); reliability is not even a question.
I hope they don't do a hybrid. I had an rx350 hybrid as a loaner and just didn't like it.

Quick Reply: Cross-shopping