GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Cross-shopping

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-20, 07:21 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by chris01919
I hope they don't do a hybrid. I had an rx350 hybrid as a loaner and just didn't like it.
The RX450 system would be different then the upcoming hybrid on the Tundra. Apparently it will be based on the more current hybrid Hino trucks currently on the market, but in a suit lol.

Last edited by coolsaber; 08-17-20 at 07:28 AM.
Old 08-17-20, 07:30 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

https://www.carscoops.com/2020/04/20...-else-we-know/

Attached Thumbnails Cross-shopping-2022-toyota-tundra-carscoops-copyright.jpg  
Old 08-17-20, 12:12 PM
Billjamin
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just made the jump from a Tundra to the GX. For me, the GX is a much better platform. I rarely used the bed for anything that couldn't have been hauled in the GX. For me, the Tundra was too big on a daily basis. I live in Houston and have to park at the Galleria every day, so it was nice to get in something that was a little smaller and more maneuverable. The GX does blow the Tundra out the water in ride quality and driving characteristics. Its orders of magnitude more comfortable on the road.
Old 08-17-20, 07:10 PM
EricT64
Pit Crew

Received 103 Likes on 49 Posts

There is only one solution

Old 08-17-20, 08:56 PM
GoHuskers
Racer

Received 165 Likes on 112 Posts

I have had both - 2015 gx460 and 2016 crew max limited 4x4. I only owned the tundra for about 4 months and traded for a 2017 RX350. The tundra is too big for DD plus I don't tow anything heavy. I don't like its fit and finish, lots of gaps and uneven panels. The final nail in the coffin was the headlights since pre-2018 tundras have suck *** headlights.
Old 08-18-20, 04:35 AM
EricT64
Pit Crew

Received 103 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by GoHuskers
I have had both - 2015 gx460 and 2016 crew max limited 4x4. I only owned the tundra for about 4 months and traded for a 2017 RX350. The tundra is too big for DD plus I don't tow anything heavy. I don't like its fit and finish, lots of gaps and uneven panels. The final nail in the coffin was the headlights since pre-2018 tundras have suck *** headlights.
I think the size is relative to where you live. If you are one who has the misfortune of living in a large city or having to work and park in one, it’s too big.
The fit and finish on the two Tacoma’s and 2 Tundras I have had has been fine. Head and shoulders above the competition.
Headlights, my 2018 had HIDs that I upgraded to the OEM 2019 TRD Pro LEDs. Best mod ever and will be looking to upgrade the GX soon.
Old 08-19-20, 05:30 PM
chris01919
Rookie

At least until the new tundra comes out there's no clear choice
Old 08-19-20, 05:31 PM
chris01919
Rookie

Originally Posted by GoHuskers
The RX also handles and rides much better than the GX but doesn't provide enough headroom or towing capacity for myself
Old 08-19-20, 07:10 PM
Randy B
Advanced

Received 81 Likes on 56 Posts

I've had the 2014 GX Lux since new until this past January. I bought a Tundra Platinum in early December. I replaced the GX this past January with a RX350 F Sport. The GX was primarily my wife's vehicle and kid hauler. Had Driver support package and factory dual rear entertainment. The GX served its purpose for us. I needed a pickup for a ew business, and the GX wasn't going to tolerate what I needed to haul from time to time. Now that my kid is older and larger, we no longer haul kid stuff around and wife wanted to get something more sporty to drive day to day as the GSF is not hers either. So the RX350 F Sport loaded was the replacement for the GX. My Platinum 4X4 tundra MSRP at $55K. My GX MSRP $68K. Not quite the same price point.

That being said, the Tundra is not a GX in ride or nice qualities inside. It has all the features and creature comforts, but not nearly as refined. The GX had soft leather with stiff bolsters. The Tundra seats remind me of the Landcruiser. Lots of stiff foam, on thick stiff leather and almost a mini bench seat as a bucket. The leather steering wheel in the Tundra is again sifff fat leather, not refined like any of the Lexus wheels.I have way more room in my crew cab though than the front and rear seats of the GX. The Tundra does cruise down the highway super nice though once I put the TRD sway bars on. I purposely did not get the TRD off road package, as I found the suspension too stiff. 2 completely different vehicles with different purposes though. While I miss the GX at times, the Tundra more than quells the longings. And anytime I want something more sporty, I have the RX or GSF to quell that.

Randy B
Old 08-20-20, 10:30 AM
mavisky
Pit Crew

Received 63 Likes on 32 Posts

My wife has a 2016 Tundra SR5 that we installed Catskinz leather seat covers into and it's a great truck, but technologically it's got far less than my 2004 LS430 has aside from bluetooth. That being said we've taken it on multiple 1000+ mile round trip road trips and it's a comfortable ride and dead reliable. If you won't use the bed of the truck very often for hauling stuff then the GX would be the "nicer" option and much easier to park, but less "capable".
Old 08-20-20, 03:12 PM
chris01919
Rookie

Originally Posted by Randy B
I've had the 2014 GX Lux since new until this past January. I bought a Tundra Platinum in early December. I replaced the GX this past January with a RX350 F Sport. The GX was primarily my wife's vehicle and kid hauler. Had Driver support package and factory dual rear entertainment. The GX served its purpose for us. I needed a pickup for a ew business, and the GX wasn't going to tolerate what I needed to haul from time to time. Now that my kid is older and larger, we no longer haul kid stuff around and wife wanted to get something more sporty to drive day to day as the GSF is not hers either. So the RX350 F Sport loaded was the replacement for the GX. My Platinum 4X4 tundra MSRP at $55K. My GX MSRP $68K. Not quite the same price point.

That being said, the Tundra is not a GX in ride or nice qualities inside. It has all the features and creature comforts, but not nearly as refined. The GX had soft leather with stiff bolsters. The Tundra seats remind me of the Landcruiser. Lots of stiff foam, on thick stiff leather and almost a mini bench seat as a bucket. The leather steering wheel in the Tundra is again sifff fat leather, not refined like any of the Lexus wheels.I have way more room in my crew cab though than the front and rear seats of the GX. The Tundra does cruise down the highway super nice though once I put the TRD sway bars on. I purposely did not get the TRD off road package, as I found the suspension too stiff. 2 completely different vehicles with different purposes though. While I miss the GX at times, the Tundra more than quells the longings. And anytime I want something more sporty, I have the RX or GSF to quell that.

Randy B
A new luxury is way overpriced in my opinion so it would be a premium which is very similar in sticker price.
Old 08-26-20, 07:09 AM
TheHighLow
Intermediate

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Cross-shopping

So I was set on trading in for a F150 but an extensive test drive changed my mind-felt like a rental vehicle and just felt too big. Don't want the Tundra or the RAM. Anyway, I have the itch to get something new, something with the same combo of ruggedness and refinement. However, it seems that there's nothing out there that can match this aging beast. So i put a deposit on a 2020 Atomic Silver Premium w/Sepia while I look some more. Anyone else cross-shopping for something different in the same price range? OTD price has to be less then 58k and it can't be a CUV. I feel like I've look at everything

While i wanted something different, in a weird way, the small face lift and new color are trying to convince me to stick with what works.
Old 08-26-20, 07:18 AM
hzhao
Racer

Received 982 Likes on 568 Posts

For a true SUV, the quality and reliability, and bit of luxury with refinement, you need to look no further!
The following users liked this post:
hadokenuh (08-26-20)
Old 08-26-20, 08:19 AM
CFAI
Advanced

Received 321 Likes on 218 Posts

Maybe look at the 4runner limited, or perhaps the Nissan Armada/Infiniti QX80* if not too big? I think Navigator would be too $$$.

*yes, I know not Lexus reliability etc.
Old 08-26-20, 08:22 AM
GoHuskers
Racer

Received 165 Likes on 112 Posts

I DO believe the GX offers the BEST value (premium trim ~$55k) in the long run comparing to anything in that class. Why I said -premium trim? because if you go with the full Lux for $65-70k then I would rather get a 18-19 LX instead.
The following users liked this post:
hadokenuh (08-26-20)

Quick Reply: Cross-shopping