GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Cross-shopping

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-20, 08:31 AM
TheHighLow
Intermediate

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by GoHuskers
I DO believe the GX offers the BEST value (premium trim ~$55k) in the long run comparing to anything in that class. Why I said -premium trim? because if you go with the full Lux for $65-70k then I would rather get a 18-19 LX instead.
that's a fact jack. I want to try something new but there's just nothing like it. I refuse to drive a CUV because they ride like cars and are too "light". The new explorer rides like a rental car. Kia/Huyindai materials/build don't age well...rattle city.
I drove the 4R Limited and it's not in the same category. People who say that the V8 is not that much quicker are just justifying their 4runner purchases.
The following users liked this post:
DBLex1 (08-26-20)
Old 08-26-20, 08:40 AM
hadokenuh
Driver

Received 44 Likes on 29 Posts

Get the 2020. If you want a nice and reliable truck based SUV, the GX is the answer.

I've recently upgraded from a 2019 to a 2020. The upgraded amenities and face-lift is nice. But 2 things that I notice right away are: (1) More comfortable ride (2) Better brake feel (you don't have to push the pedal all the way down to make it stop like the 2019). I"ll post a detailed write-up once I have more time behind the wheel.
WRD4chano (08-29-20)
Old 08-26-20, 08:50 AM
TheHighLow
Intermediate

Originally Posted by hadokenuh
Get the 2020. If you want a nice and reliable truck based SUV, the GX is the answer.

I've recently upgraded from a 2019 to a 2020. The upgraded amenities and face-lift is nice. But 2 things that I notice right away are: (1) More comfortable ride (2) Better brake feel (you don't have to push the pedal all the way down to make it stop like the 2019). I"ll post a detailed write-up once I have more time behind the wheel.
interesting that you say that about the brakes because that's prolly the #1 dislike that I eventually got used to. But if it's true, that's good news.
Old 08-26-20, 09:33 AM
CFAI
Advanced

Received 321 Likes on 218 Posts

Originally Posted by TheHighLow
interesting that you say that about the brakes because that's prolly the #1 dislike that I eventually got used to. But if it's true, that's good news.
Out of curiosity, did you try the QX80? It was too big for us, so I didn't bother, but it also has BOF and V8.
(that said, if its only going to be Toyota/Lexus, then I think all you have are 4Runners, GX, LX(used), and Sequoia to chose from).
Old 08-26-20, 09:48 AM
TheHighLow
Intermediate

Originally Posted by CFAI
Out of curiosity, did you try the QX80? It was too big for us, so I didn't bother, but it also has BOF and V8.
(that said, if its only going to be Toyota/Lexus, then I think all you have are 4Runners, GX, LX(used), and Sequoia to chose from).
I have not driven the QX80 but I just looked some deals up and see that I can get a Lux for 59,000 (significant discount).
I have no idea how it drives/behaves on the road and if it's as problem free as the GX.

On first reviews, i see that it's def worse on gas and has no diff lock.

Last edited by TheHighLow; 08-26-20 at 10:24 AM.
Old 08-26-20, 10:41 AM
CFAI
Advanced

Received 321 Likes on 218 Posts

I doubt, on average, that it will be as problem free as the GX, but I would think that would be true of almost anything outside of the Toyota stable. Not sure how often that center diff lock gets used for the majority of GX's but that is of course up to you to determine its value. However, if you test drive one, feel free to mention your take.
Old 08-26-20, 11:32 AM
DBLex1
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

that's a fact jack. I want to try something new but there's just nothing like it. I refuse to drive a CUV because they ride like cars and are too "light". The new explorer rides like a rental car. Kia/Huyindai materials/build don't age well...rattle city.
I drove the 4R Limited and it's not in the same category. People who say that the V8 is not that much quicker are just justifying their 4runner purchases.
+1 on the V8 vs V6 on the 4Runner. I drove half a dozen 4runners when I was looking a couple years ago and just did not like the lack of low end torque (I also own an 07 V8 4Runner).

that’s when I decided to look at the GX and it had everything I wanted.
Old 08-29-20, 09:09 AM
chris01919
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As much as I hate to admit it, the GX is very old and dated looking. They're great used cars but a 2020 or 2021 model is a different story in my opinion.
WRD4chano (08-29-20)
Old 08-31-20, 04:30 AM
IOP
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you only keep a vehicle within the warranty period I'd look at the polarizing Land Rover Defender. I think of it as a replacement for the LR4/Discovery since the 5th gen Discovery is too rounded for us and it doesn't have the stadium seating. If it weren't for us being preowned buyers who hold cars for a while we would have bought a LR4 over the GX.
Old 08-31-20, 06:55 AM
TheHighLow
Intermediate

Originally Posted by IOP
If you only keep a vehicle within the warranty period I'd look at the polarizing Land Rover Defender. I think of it as a replacement for the LR4/Discovery since the 5th gen Discovery is too rounded for us and it doesn't have the stadium seating. If it weren't for us being preowned buyers who hold cars for a while we would have bought a LR4 over the GX.
not a fan of the defender. anyway...what about the Grand Cherokee Overland/Summit. Anyone have extensive driving experience? Both are on old platforms and a redesign is coming but they work.
Old 08-31-20, 10:19 AM
MrTorgue
Advanced

Received 340 Likes on 227 Posts

not a fan of the defender. anyway...what about the Grand Cherokee Overland/Summit. Anyone have extensive driving experience? Both are on old platforms and a redesign is coming but they work.
I had a 2019 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk with the HEMI V8 and it was sublime. I’d still have it if an idiot looking at their cell phone rear ended me going about 60mph while I was stopped at a red light.

The driving dynamics and off-road ability was brilliant from the factory plus it was pretty quick off the line. Interior was better in the Jeep than the GX and the front seats were more comfortable. The uconnect radio headunit was light years better than anything I’ve seen in a Toyota product, however the GX’s ML speakers are better. I will say the GX seems to have better headroom and cargo space with its taller roof. Fuel economy in the city was a hair more in the Jeep and a bunch more on the highway than the GX and only due to the Grand Cherokee’s 8spd auto. The biggest downside to the Grand Cherokee is the lack of aftermarket serious off-road accessories. I wouldn’t overland in one over a GX because of the smaller interior space and less aftermarket options. If it’s a pavement queen highway cruiser the Grand Cherokee is better. If you’re overlanding get the GX. If you’re doing everything but overlanding drive them both and make up your mind based on that. Id be happy to answer any Grand Cherokee related questions.

^ Last picture I had of it before it was gone.
Old 08-31-20, 10:38 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 210 Likes on 144 Posts

Nissan Armada is garbage. Don't even shop that. No offense, but we rented one for our Florida vacation this summer. 1,600 miles later. Terrible.

GX is the way to go. Although $58K OTD seems high. You can get lower that that. My 2020 GX with Sport package was stickered at $60,500. Out the door was $54K...keeping in mind before taxes and licenses and fees we were at $51,500, with all the incentives back in April.
sinistar (08-31-20)
Old 08-31-20, 11:45 AM
TheHighLow
Intermediate

Originally Posted by MrTorgue
I had a 2019 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk with the HEMI V8 and it was sublime. I’d still have it if an idiot looking at their cell phone rear ended me going about 60mph while I was stopped at a red light.

The driving dynamics and off-road ability was brilliant from the factory plus it was pretty quick off the line. Interior was better in the Jeep than the GX and the front seats were more comfortable. The uconnect radio headunit was light years better than anything I’ve seen in a Toyota product, however the GX’s ML speakers are better. I will say the GX seems to have better headroom and cargo space with its taller roof. Fuel economy in the city was a hair more in the Jeep and a bunch more on the highway than the GX and only due to the Grand Cherokee’s 8spd auto. The biggest downside to the Grand Cherokee is the lack of aftermarket serious off-road accessories. I wouldn’t overland in one over a GX because of the smaller interior space and less aftermarket options. If it’s a pavement queen highway cruiser the Grand Cherokee is better. If you’re overlanding get the GX. If you’re doing everything but overlanding drive them both and make up your mind based on that. Id be happy to answer any Grand Cherokee related questions.

^ Last picture I had of it before it was gone.
good to know. I actually just came from a test drive. It felt smaller. The seats were very uncomfortable. Both, the GX and Jeep have hard seats compared to other vehicles but the Jeep's leather was pretty hard and I couldn't get comfy. The power was there but i prefer the suspension feel of the GX. The GX's driving position-view of the road is better IMO. anways i put a deposit on the Atomic Silver GX premium sepia with a tow hitch. I could always cancel as I would love to have more power/acceleration on tap but this truck fits me like a pair old shoes. And you know what they say about that.

P.S. i even looked at Model Y but the ground clearance/tire combo is laughable. Way too bumpy/stiff
The following 2 users liked this post by TheHighLow:
hadokenuh (09-02-20), MrTorgue (08-31-20)
Old 08-31-20, 12:56 PM
MrTorgue
Advanced

Received 340 Likes on 227 Posts

good to know. I actually just came from a test drive. It felt smaller. The seats were very uncomfortable. Both, the GX and Jeep have hard seats compared to other vehicles but the Jeep's leather was pretty hard and I couldn't get comfy. The power was there but i prefer the suspension feel of the GX. The GX's driving position-view of the road is better IMO. anways i put a deposit on the Atomic Silver GX premium sepia with a tow hitch. I could always cancel as I would love to have more power/acceleration on tap but this truck fits me like a pair old shoes. And you know what they say about that.

P.S. i even looked at Model Y but the ground clearance/tire combo is laughable. Way too bumpy/stiff
Thats exactly why I recommended a drive in both! Congrats!

P.S. There are a few seat options, I’m
guessing you may not have been on the top version? Either way glad you picked something between the two and avoided everything else. I cannot justify spending money on something that isn’t either the GC, 4R/GX or a Land Cruiser/LX. You made a good choice mate.

I wish we got the Land Cruiser Troopy here in the states. I wish importing one wasn’t so expensive!

Last edited by MrTorgue; 09-01-20 at 03:14 PM.
Old 09-01-20, 08:18 PM
TheHighLow
Intermediate

Originally Posted by MrTorgue
Thats exactly why I recommended a drive in both! Congrats!

P.S. There are a few seat options, I’m
guessing you may not have been on the top version? Either way glad you picked something between the two and avoided everything else. I cannot justify spending money on something that isn’t either the GC, 4R/GX or a Land Cruiser/LX. You made a good choice mate.

I wish we got the Land Cruiser Troopy here in the states. I wish importing one wasn’t so expensive!
i rode in a summit and the seats had baseball leather.

Y3 is out of the question lol

Quick Reply: Cross-shopping