GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Cross-shopping

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-20, 09:46 PM
Keirik
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If you are doing a gx, premium, why not go for a 21 and get the same combo but add in the Mark Levinson sound? Highly recommended.
Old 09-02-20, 07:37 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 210 Likes on 144 Posts

ML only on Luxury, right?
Old 09-02-20, 07:57 AM
CFAI
Advanced

Received 321 Likes on 218 Posts

Originally Posted by jtrue28
ML only on Luxury, right?
For MY '21 ML can be had with the Prem Plus package. Looks like P+ is only $1,700 more than P - that seems totally worth it ( P+ also includes power 3rd row) The base stereo is the main thing I don't like about our GX.
(prob already listed elsewhere but here are the packages and prices https://www.lexus.com/models/GX/packages)
The following users liked this post:
hadokenuh (09-02-20)
Old 09-02-20, 02:54 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Nissan Armada is garbage. Don't even shop that. No offense, but we rented one for our Florida vacation this summer. 1,600 miles later. Terrible.

GX is the way to go. Although $58K OTD seems high. You can get lower that that. My 2020 GX with Sport package was stickered at $60,500. Out the door was $54K...keeping in mind before taxes and licenses and fees we were at $51,500, with all the incentives back in April.
So what exactly was "Garbage" in your experience?

Old 09-02-20, 03:10 PM
Keirik
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CFAI
For MY '21 ML can be had with the Prem Plus package. Looks like P+ is only $1,700 more than P - that seems totally worth it ( P+ also includes power 3rd row) The base stereo is the main thing I don't like about our GX.
(prob already listed elsewhere but here are the packages and prices https://www.lexus.com/models/GX/packages)
it’s almost a no brainer in my opinion.
Old 09-02-20, 04:19 PM
CFAI
Advanced

Originally Posted by Keirik
it’s almost a no brainer in my opinion.
I am not a new car buyer, but yeah, if I was, there is no way I am getting a GX without the ML. Not even sure that the ML is so great, it is just that the base is really pretty bad (IMO). I have the base stereo in my '07 IS250 and even though I am sure the ML for the IS is better sounding than base, it wouldn't be worth it to me to pay for the upgrade. But in the GX, I can't see not getting it. Sort of shocking that they sell the Luxury without it. My base '13 GX has the power third row seats and the Semi-aniline leather seating, and power side mirrors, but I would easily give that all up for the ML.

With the Prem Plus, I think the GX becomes way more interesting as a new car purchase if you can afford it.

Old 09-02-20, 06:41 PM
TheHighLow
Intermediate

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

I am not a new car buyer, but yeah, if I was, there is no way I am getting a GX without the ML. Not even sure that the ML is so great, it is just that the base is really pretty bad (IMO). I have the base stereo in my '07 IS250 and even though I am sure the ML for the IS is better sounding than base, it wouldn't be worth it to me to pay for the upgrade. But in the GX, I can't see not getting it. Sort of shocking that they sell the Luxury without it. My base '13 GX has the power third row seats and the Semi-aniline leather seating, and power side mirrors, but I would easily give that all up for the ML.

With the Prem Plus, I think the GX becomes way more interesting as a new car purchase if you can afford it.
i don’t need bass. I listen to talk radio country and jazz. The stock stereo is fine and not worth the $1700 IMO. I can’t get a 2021 in my timeframe plus I doubt that they will have the same deals on 2021 as 2020. When I shopped I saw 2020s flooded in NJ dealers.
im more concerned about the brakes and seat lumbar in the ride. Still hate the mushy brakes and it took me a long time to get used to/break in the seats.
Old 09-02-20, 07:27 PM
CFAI
Advanced

Originally Posted by TheHighLow
i don’t need bass. I listen to talk radio country and jazz. The stock stereo is fine and not worth the $1700 IMO. I can’t get a 2021 in my timeframe plus I doubt that they will have the same deals on 2021 as 2020. When I shopped I saw 2020s flooded in NJ dealers.
im more concerned about the brakes and seat lumbar in the ride. Still hate the mushy brakes and it took me a long time to get used to/break in the seats.
That is fair -those seats are pretty uncomfortable for me as well - esp if you know what the deal is. Although, my guess is that everyone from Armstrong to Zorn will sound better with the ML system
Old 09-02-20, 07:41 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

That is fair -those seats are pretty uncomfortable for me as well - esp if you know what the deal is. Although, my guess is that everyone from Armstrong to Zorn will sound better with the ML system
The ML system is a personal decision first and foremost, and secondly you need high fidelity audio; Tidal high quality or studio recorded cds/dvds you`ll get the full moneys worth.
XM, am/fm, pandora, or mp3s etc are not gonna offer anything over the base.

Seats, well thats nothing you really can do about that. The seat cushion design is archaic and comfort conveniences are non existent. Thankfully its the not the bottom of the barrel of Lexus seats (that award goes to the IS/NX F sport seats).
Old 09-02-20, 07:47 PM
CFAI
Advanced

Seat cushion/pads - it doesn't make it great, and kinda ruins the Lux vibe, but it helps. Plus it helps keep the Ecru from turning blue.
Old 09-02-20, 08:12 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Seat cushion/pads - it doesn't make it great, and kinda ruins the Lux vibe, but it helps. Plus it helps keep the Ecru from turning blue.
Ecru looks the best imho, but yup its like a sponge for dye transfer. The cushion thing idk, for MY20 buyer; if seat comfort is paramount, i`d drop by the local XC90/GLE/Q7/X5 dealer and compare there seats. My personal opinion for optimum seats ironically has been the XC90, its not as complex as the german rivals but outclass them in comfort and fatigue (lack of during long trips).

Old 09-03-20, 05:25 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

With regards to my Armada quote. Something about their seating, very uncomfortable to me. Every Nissan I have ever driven feels the same way. I also don’t like their fake transmission, which apparently is a very common problem. Feels cheap to me.
Old 09-03-20, 08:52 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

With regards to my Armada quote. Something about their seating, very uncomfortable to me. Every Nissan I have ever driven feels the same way. I also don’t like their fake transmission, which apparently is a very common problem. Feels cheap to me.
So the seating was bad. Was the 8 speed regular transmission (non cvt) and 5.7L naturally aspirated V8 bad as well? Did the rental have any of the safety kit or 360 cameras?
Old 09-04-20, 03:23 PM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Okay man, you like Nissan. Congrats. I do not. Enjoy your car.
Old 09-04-20, 04:06 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 310 Likes on 229 Posts

Nissan's longevity in their SUV's is not good. Parts are not too expensive though. Not a big fan of their vehicles honestly.

The semi ainiline leather is nice IMO. Worth the upgrade. My seats nice and comfy.

Quick Reply: Cross-shopping