GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Cross-shopping

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-21, 07:32 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

Get what your heart desires. If it doesnt work out, well its a lease and a relatively cheap lesson. Looks like LR artificially jacked up the residual to make the lease more palatable. No way that thing is worth 60% after 3yrs. You gotta be some kind of a fool to pay that much for a used LR.
Old 05-26-21, 08:03 AM
mehran888
Advanced

Received 108 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by EANX
I own a 21 GX. Had to rent a car last week and rented Land Rover Sport supercharged, 20,000 miles. WOW power, sport feel! Day 2 the enitre dashboard went dark and folded up as I was driving - 6 separate times! No radio, no loghts, no signals, nothing, I recorded video to prove it to the rental company. I loved the LR and years ago almost bought one, but really?!!? I wouldn't trust it for any long distand or remote trips only to and from work. Beautiful vehicles, I knew they had a history of issues maybe electrical issues but dam.
Loving these replies! First, with the two videos - the first one.. I wish the guy had actually driven the cars and compared a few things wrt how they feel and overall livability. WRT the second one, it made me laugh and really makes me worry about random things going wrong (infotainment, and in their case engine). I don't really blame the winch issue on JLR, that just sounds like poor training on the part of the dealership.

Ugh, it seems like you folks have me convinced to possibly play it safe and just go with a GX. I'll check out inventory locally. I think the good news with the GX is if the new one comes out (or a new LX comes out) before my lease is up they'll give me some preferential treatment for trading it in early. "Ugh" because it's not what my heart wants, but it's what my mind says is right. Ultimately if I was single and didn't have family to worry about I'd go with the LR, but dealing with a car breaking down, or even multiple visits to a dealership to swap a car and get a loaner is the type of time/stress I don't need in my life right now.

Really appreciate everyone's thoughts here. You've all been very helpful. I'm wondering what the outcome would have been had I posted in a LR forum
Old 05-26-21, 08:12 AM
mehran888
Advanced

Originally Posted by situman
Get what your heart desires. If it doesnt work out, well its a lease and a relatively cheap lesson. Looks like LR artificially jacked up the residual to make the lease more palatable. No way that thing is worth 60% after 3yrs. You gotta be some kind of a fool to pay that much for a used LR.
Agree - or really naive wishful thinking.
Old 05-26-21, 08:49 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by mehran888
Loving these replies! First, with the two videos - the first one.. I wish the guy had actually driven the cars and compared a few things wrt how they feel and overall livability. WRT the second one, it made me laugh and really makes me worry about random things going wrong (infotainment, and in their case engine). I don't really blame the winch issue on JLR, that just sounds like poor training on the part of the dealership.

Ugh, it seems like you folks have me convinced to possibly play it safe and just go with a GX. I'll check out inventory locally. I think the good news with the GX is if the new one comes out (or a new LX comes out) before my lease is up they'll give me some preferential treatment for trading it in early. "Ugh" because it's not what my heart wants, but it's what my mind says is right. Ultimately if I was single and didn't have family to worry about I'd go with the LR, but dealing with a car breaking down, or even multiple visits to a dealership to swap a car and get a loaner is the type of time/stress I don't need in my life right now.

Really appreciate everyone's thoughts here. You've all been very helpful. I'm wondering what the outcome would have been had I posted in a LR forum
Test drive it more. If it isnt what your heart wants, you will drive with regrets.
The following users liked this post:
CFAI (05-26-21)
Old 05-26-21, 09:19 AM
ASE
Pole Position

Received 1,028 Likes on 686 Posts

Agree - or really naive wishful thinking.
The latter.
Old 05-26-21, 09:48 AM
mehran888
Advanced

Originally Posted by situman
Test drive it more. If it isnt what your heart wants, you will drive with regrets.
That's a good point. I haven't driven the GX in over 5 years and just assumed my experience from 5 years ago will translate to what I want and my comfort today. I'll make sure to take one for a spin before making the call. Ultimately though I do know that I won't be disappointed with Lexus, even if there are little things that may bother me (seat comfort, third row taking up space). But point taken on driving it more and giving it a proper test drive like I did all the new contenders.
Old 05-26-21, 10:26 AM
BradTank
Racer

Received 176 Likes on 121 Posts

That video is insane, it's amazing what people will buy if it's "cute" even if its a pile of junk.

If Land Rover was smart, they'd find a larger company they could farm all of the drivetrain development out to and just build the coach works/body and interior themselves. Have a reliable platform with a unique and upscale look. Sort of what Rolls Royce did for a lot of their parts like they'd have a GM transmission.
ASE (05-26-21)
Old 05-26-21, 10:46 AM
ASE
Pole Position

Received 1,028 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by BradTank
That video is insane, it's amazing what people will buy if it's "cute" even if its a pile of junk.

If Land Rover was smart, they'd find a larger company they could farm all of the drivetrain development out to and just build the coach works/body and interior themselves. Have a reliable platform with a unique and upscale look. Sort of what Rolls Royce did for a lot of their parts like they'd have a GM transmission.
Agree ... easy research on reliability ratings and real-life owner experience on various forums ... all abysmal across the Land Rover lineup. For some crazy reason people think "this new model will be different" when the SAME company with the SAME engineering with the SAME manufacturing produced these abysmal reliability results, consistently year-over-year. A companies DNA does not magically change for any specific model, or for a new model release. Under earlier Ford ownership, there was a chance to infuse some real engineering, but Ford ultimately cut bait.
Old 05-26-21, 11:06 AM
CFAI
Advanced

Received 321 Likes on 218 Posts

Originally Posted by GXLEXD
Example of the reliability of the Defender, might not even make a good lease...

https://youtu.be/mkpB8okB-xw
However, this is a review after they got it sorted
Personally, I wouldn't get a LR (no shocker, doubt there are many on this board that would), but OP isn't me, and should test drive the GX and then get whatever they will be most excited about. If you decide you really want the LR, but are worried about reliability (very very reasonable), double check your state's lemon law and make sure it covers you under a lease, and if not what you need them the sign to get you covered. And if it lemon law won't cover you then go get a G Wagon
Old 05-26-21, 01:43 PM
mehran888
Advanced

Originally Posted by CFAI
However, this is a review after they got it sorted
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99wi9Q5G0LI
Personally, I wouldn't get a LR (no shocker, doubt there are many on this board that would), but OP isn't me, and should test drive the GX and then get whatever they will be most excited about. If you decide you really want the LR, but are worried about reliability (very very reasonable), double check your state's lemon law and make sure it covers you under a lease, and if not what you need them the sign to get you covered. And if it lemon law won't cover you then go get a G Wagon
Unfortunately no lemon laws in Canada. And the G-wagon breaks the bank. I'll test drive the GX and probably move ahead with it!
CFAI (05-26-21)
Old 05-26-21, 03:53 PM
william489
Pit Crew

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

I really like all the comments, just add one I read it here from clublexus:

If you want to go into the Australian Outback, take a Land Rover. But if you want to come back again, take a Land Cruiser.”
The following 4 users liked this post by william489:
JennK (05-31-21), MrTorgue (05-28-21), nuclearn8 (05-28-21), SteveInCal (05-28-21)
Old 05-27-21, 01:31 PM
mehran888
Advanced

Closing the loop (ok maybe second last message to closing the loop as I'll post a pic when I get the car).

Finalized the details on the GX460 I'll be getting. Black on Sephia (not a fan of Sephia but the other options were light coloured cars) with the Exec package. There is only one other trim offered and availability on that is also low. Got a decent trade in on my car, and should be getting the new vehicle Monday. You all moved me pretty fast from "Hey I want to get a Defender!" to "I'm getting a car that was developed when GW Bush was President!" pretty fast. Thanks for all your help and nudges.
The following 3 users liked this post by mehran888:
MrTorgue (05-28-21), nuclearn8 (05-28-21), william489 (05-27-21)
Old 05-27-21, 01:40 PM
GXLEXD
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Sometimes the old ways are best...

Congrats on finding a GX so quickly!
MrTorgue (05-28-21)
Old 05-27-21, 01:46 PM
CFAI
Advanced

Received 321 Likes on 218 Posts

Closing the loop (ok maybe second last message to closing the loop as I'll post a pic when I get the car).

Finalized the details on the GX460 I'll be getting. Black on Sephia (not a fan of Sephia but the other options were light coloured cars) with the Exec package. There is only one other trim offered and availability on that is also low. Got a decent trade in on my car, and should be getting the new vehicle Monday. You all moved me pretty fast from "Hey I want to get a Defender!" to "I'm getting a car that was developed when GW Bush was President!" pretty fast. Thanks for all your help and nudges.
Congrats and Have fun with it! I absolutely love our '13 GX and since you know what you are getting into I am sure you will love yours as well.
Old 05-28-21, 06:26 AM
azfj60
Rookie

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Default I'm so cheap...

$1,300 (even Canadian) per month for...a car?!?!?

O_o
MrTorgue (07-05-21)

Quick Reply: Cross-shopping