GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Cross-shopping

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-21, 06:33 AM
mehran888
Advanced

Received 108 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by azfj60
$1,300 (even Canadian) per month for...a car?!?!?

O_o
I don't know if it's the currency fluctuations or a number of other factors at play, but leasing in Canada always been more expensive. I remember telling off my cousin, who had recently immigrated to the US for leasing an IS250. "You still need to finish school! You don't have a job yet! Find a permanent home first!". After he heard me rant, he told me the lease cost $250/mo. To which I reply. "Yeah, that's a good call". A similar car in Canada would have been at least $600 given he put no money down.

I haven't researched % of people who lease in Canada vs the US, but I don't know a single person who leases in Canada without it having a business purpose. Most buy or finance. I think many more individuals lease in the US than here, but I could be off.
Old 05-28-21, 06:52 AM
llq
Driver School Candidate

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi @mehran888

Congratulations on your new GX. I am also from Canada and just ordered a new GX as well. Dealer told the wait time would be about 6 months. From autotrader.ca, I don't see any new ones available and the used ones are asking almost MSRP price of a new one. Crazy !
Old 05-28-21, 07:42 AM
mehran888
Advanced

Originally Posted by llq
Hi @mehran888

Congratulations on your new GX. I am also from Canada and just ordered a new GX as well. Dealer told the wait time would be about 6 months. From autotrader.ca, I don't see any new ones available and the used ones are asking almost MSRP price of a new one. Crazy !
Tx @llq ! I just dropped you a DM (I think.. if I did it right). LMK if you want to chat as I got a few options when I called around on cars being delivered before end of July. I'm in Southern Ontario and searched from Toronto to Niagara.
Old 05-28-21, 08:20 AM
llq
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mehran888
Tx @llq ! I just dropped you a DM (I think.. if I did it right). LMK if you want to chat as I got a few options when I called around on cars being delivered before end of July. I'm in Southern Ontario and searched from Toronto to Niagara.

Thanks for the information, I tried to reply to you back with your DM but I couldn't find a way(Is it because I am new register ? ). I already signed the paper for the order with the exact colour I wanted, Atomic Silver on red without exec package. I am okay to wait since I don't need the car right way(working from home at least until the end of year 2021 :-) ) .

I was in the same boat as you before I decide on the GX. I tested drive it a couple of times. The factors that make me the decision are the ride comfort, feel of build quality, proved reliability and the sound of the V8. I also owned a 2017 GS350 which I bought as CPO and it's the car that lead me to Lexus club.

Before deciding on the GX, I also test drive the X5. I like it but it is expensive and also expensive to maintain when comparing to the GX. As current Lexus owner, we are entitle to receive 1.5% rate reduction, with some security deposit, we can lease the car with 0% .
interest.

The only drawback for the GX to me is fuel economy as our gas price keep going up. I also located on Southern Ontario.

Old 05-28-21, 11:20 AM
mehran888
Advanced

Originally Posted by llq
Thanks for the information, I tried to reply to you back with your DM but I couldn't find a way(Is it because I am new register ? ). I already signed the paper for the order with the exact colour I wanted, Atomic Silver on red without exec package. I am okay to wait since I don't need the car right way(working from home at least until the end of year 2021 :-) ) .

I was in the same boat as you before I decide on the GX. I tested drive it a couple of times. The factors that make me the decision are the ride comfort, feel of build quality, proved reliability and the sound of the V8. I also owned a 2017 GS350 which I bought as CPO and it's the car that lead me to Lexus club.

Before deciding on the GX, I also test drive the X5. I like it but it is expensive and also expensive to maintain when comparing to the GX. As current Lexus owner, we are entitle to receive 1.5% rate reduction, with some security deposit, we can lease the car with 0% .
interest.

The only drawback for the GX to me is fuel economy as our gas price keep going up. I also located on Southern Ontario.
Appreciate this information - and funny how we both came from the GS. I really loved the GS, with my only marginal gripe being the infotainment, but from a drive standpoint it always put a grin on my face. I drove the Genesis GV80, which is a wonderful vehicle. But when I hopped into my GS350 for the ride home it really challenged me to rethink what I was looking for in a vehicle. I didn't drive either the X5 or the GLE. While I imagine they are good cars, total cost of ownership and the frequency that I see them on the road (particularly the GLE) are offputting for me. The GX also scratches the itch of taking me back to one of the cars I "grew up" on, which was our 1994 4Runner. You're right about gas mileage, but I don't drive a lot and I'm ok spending some "non necessary" additional money on gas given the savings everywhere else.

WRT messaging me back in DM, I do find it quirky. It may be because you're a new member, but I'm not sure. If you figure it out, let me know.

Congrats on the Atomic Silver on Red! It's a beautiful combo, and I had hoped for red myself as my GS is red on red. That atomic silver also stands out nice, particularly when it's clean. Take care and feel free to message anytime on your ownership experience or questions you may have!
The following users liked this post:
llq (05-28-21)
Old 05-28-21, 12:37 PM
llq
Driver School Candidate

Appreciate this information - and funny how we both came from the GS. I really loved the GS, with my only marginal gripe being the infotainment, but from a drive standpoint it always put a grin on my face. I drove the Genesis GV80, which is a wonderful vehicle. But when I hopped into my GS350 for the ride home it really challenged me to rethink what I was looking for in a vehicle. I didn't drive either the X5 or the GLE. While I imagine they are good cars, total cost of ownership and the frequency that I see them on the road (particularly the GLE) are offputting for me. The GX also scratches the itch of taking me back to one of the cars I "grew up" on, which was our 1994 4Runner. You're right about gas mileage, but I don't drive a lot and I'm ok spending some "non necessary" additional money on gas given the savings everywhere else.

WRT messaging me back in DM, I do find it quirky. It may be because you're a new member, but I'm not sure. If you figure it out, let me know.

Congrats on the Atomic Silver on Red! It's a beautiful combo, and I had hoped for red myself as my GS is red on red. That atomic silver also stands out nice, particularly when it's clean. Take care and feel free to message anytime on your ownership experience or questions you may have!
Yes, I really like the GS even my wife found it lovely given she know nothing about car but just use it as a tool for commuting. She told me it feel substantially different from our 2013 Altima that she used to drive.

I do have question about the GX since you will be getting the car soon. Do you known if the front door glass are double pane acoustic glass or just regular. The 2020 that I test drove is not acoustic but it was said it become standard in the 2021 model year in the U.S . Just wondering if getting the same in Canada ?
Old 05-30-21, 08:04 AM
blschaefer
Driver School Candidate

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

I’m new here, and just picked up a ‘21 GX Premium.

I was coming from a ‘20 4Runner Off Road Premium. Loved some things about the 4Runner but was seeking something with more premium features and refinement that could still perform well in light off-roading situations. Plus with the chip shortage the value of 4Runners has gone through the roof and I figured it was a good time to get out.

I cross shopped the new Defender. Loved many things about it. Drives wonderfully. Good tech, though you need to use the touchscreen for just about everything. Would be incredibly competent off road. BUT, if you want the six cylinder and some decent options you are above $70k easy, and coupled with the reliability reputation of the brand and the unknown reliability of this specific model, I decided to hit the pause button. The nearest LR dealer is two hours away from where I live. Another factor....there are virtually no Defenders on dealer lots currently our West.

All this led me to the GX. They are in short supply as well, but I happened to find one spec’d to my liking and by the time I was done with the deal the delta between the trade on my 4Runner and the GX was nominal. I love everything about the GX but do wish it at least had CarPlay. Not in love with the front snout. But nothing is perfect and I’m OK with these compromises.

I have a tendancy to get bored with cars and change every couple of years. I will be watching the Defender carefully. Next car? Maybe.
Old 05-30-21, 04:29 PM
mehran888
Advanced

Originally Posted by blschaefer
I’m new here, and just picked up a ‘21 GX Premium.

I was coming from a ‘20 4Runner Off Road Premium. Loved some things about the 4Runner but was seeking something with more premium features and refinement that could still perform well in light off-roading situations. Plus with the chip shortage the value of 4Runners has gone through the roof and I figured it was a good time to get out.

I cross shopped the new Defender. Loved many things about it. Drives wonderfully. Good tech, though you need to use the touchscreen for just about everything. Would be incredibly competent off road. BUT, if you want the six cylinder and some decent options you are above $70k easy, and coupled with the reliability reputation of the brand and the unknown reliability of this specific model, I decided to hit the pause button. The nearest LR dealer is two hours away from where I live. Another factor....there are virtually no Defenders on dealer lots currently our West.

All this led me to the GX. They are in short supply as well, but I happened to find one spec’d to my liking and by the time I was done with the deal the delta between the trade on my 4Runner and the GX was nominal. I love everything about the GX but do wish it at least had CarPlay. Not in love with the front snout. But nothing is perfect and I’m OK with these compromises.

I have a tendancy to get bored with cars and change every couple of years. I will be watching the Defender carefully. Next car? Maybe.
@llq first to answer your question about the front windows - even my salesperson wasn't sure. I'll find out tomorrow when I take delivery. I have a feeling the spec here matches the US, particularly since I got the Exec package so I doubt they'd have anything less than what they have there. Regardless I'll find out tomorrow and let you know, and whether it's standard or not.

@blschaefer Really appreciate this response. I didn't muck around with the Defenders nav/screen much, but I appreciated the fact that most of the main features I would want have hard buttons. But I have read a few reviews about how it's finicky. My reasons (in addition to the feedback in this forum) around sketchy reliability, particularly around a new model made me hold off. End of the day, whatever car I got now is just a bridge for me until the new large Lexus SUVs come out. Whether they're a car based 3 row SUV (the TX?) or a redesign of the LX (will probably be announced months after the J300 LC is announced, which I believe is having an official unveil tomorrow), or something else based of the redesigned Tundra (also something that I think is being unveiled really soon), I have faith they'll have at least 1 car, if not 3 more in the market within the next 3 years. For now, I'll enjoy Lexus quality, the "aggressively ugly" look of the GX (I say that with all the affection in my heart), and knowing that I'm driving the last of an era (BoF, naturally aspirated, etc). Regardless of what comes down the road I think we all know that naturally aspirated BoF v8 vehicles won't exist in a few short years.

Good call on the 4Runner. My buddy has a TRD Pro he got a couple years ago, and it looks like he'd only take a $6K hit on it selling privately. It's crazy! What's interesting about all this is that back when I bought my GS350, had there been no tsunami/production shortage I would be in either a 4Runner or GX for the last 9 years. Maybe it was just meant to be?

I'll miss my GS though.
Old 05-30-21, 05:10 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 310 Likes on 229 Posts

Talking about today’s market and values. KBB values my 2014 Luxury almost $5k more than I paid for it a year ago and 4K miles more. Go figure the thing has appreciated… lol
MrTorgue (05-31-21)
Old 05-31-21, 12:23 PM
mehran888
Advanced

And here it is! Given I didn't take the advice to "test drive it for a bit" from the others on the forum here, I was a bit hesitant to grab it having not driven one in a few years. However, it didn't disappoint. It's as planted and solid as I recalled for a large SUV, and none of the plush handling/braking feeling I get from driving the LX570. Interior cabin is quite quiet (sorry @llq I still don't have an answer on the front windows being acoustically isolated / double paned).

What do people do with the headphones/remote that come with the car? Ditto for the large user manual that doesn't fit in the glove box? I don't see myself having much use for them but it feels silly taking them out of the car.

Finally, my 8 year old is going to mock the AV inputs and tiny 480p screen. Why do they even bother?

The following 2 users liked this post by mehran888:
azfj60 (06-01-21), CFAI (05-31-21)
Old 05-31-21, 12:36 PM
llq
Driver School Candidate

Well. It's beautiful, beautiful ! Thanks for sharing the pictures.

@mehran888 No need to apologize. If you get a chance, you can just roll down one of the front windows and second row window, if the glass is acoustic, it should be thicker than the second row window. With that said, as long as it's quiet, as you stated at your first impression, I don't think it really matters.

Again, Congratulations on your new ride ! The black colour really stands out in the sun light.

Looking forward to hear more great experience as you start to drive it more.

Thanks
Old 06-01-21, 11:05 AM
mehran888
Advanced

Originally Posted by llq
Well. It's beautiful, beautiful ! Thanks for sharing the pictures.

@mehran888 No need to apologize. If you get a chance, you can just roll down one of the front windows and second row window, if the glass is acoustic, it should be thicker than the second row window. With that said, as long as it's quiet, as you stated at your first impression, I don't think it really matters.

Again, Congratulations on your new ride ! The black colour really stands out in the sun light.

Looking forward to hear more great experience as you start to drive it more.

Thanks
@llq I can confirm that my vehicle seems to have double paned front windows. When I roll the window down there are two "lips" to the top edge. I hope your Premium comes with the same. I don't see why it wouldn't!

Other car updates:
  1. Third row isn't actually as tight as I thought. I think you can put people 5'8" or shorter in there for ~1-2 hour trips, particularly if you move the middle row forward a little
  2. Doors are heavy and take a decent swing to close. I may just be used to coming from a sedan, but definitely heavier to close than I expected. I'm not a fan of soft close doors (unnecessary feature) but this car could benefit from them.
  3. Side mirrors don't fold in? I guess I should have found this out first, just surprising
Old 06-01-21, 11:20 AM
CFAI
Instructor

Received 326 Likes on 222 Posts

@llq I can confirm that my vehicle seems to have double paned front windows. When I roll the window down there are two "lips" to the top edge. I hope your Premium comes with the same. I don't see why it wouldn't!

Other car updates:
  1. Third row isn't actually as tight as I thought. I think you can put people 5'8" or shorter in there for ~1-2 hour trips, particularly if you move the middle row forward a little
  2. Doors are heavy and take a decent swing to close. I may just be used to coming from a sedan, but definitely heavier to close than I expected. I'm not a fan of soft close doors (unnecessary feature) but this car could benefit from them.
  3. Side mirrors don't fold in? I guess I should have found this out first, just surprising
Side mirror should fold in on 2021. Just press the little toggle to the right on the top of the side mirror controller.
Agree about back seat. In all the reviews they just push the second row as far back as possible and make a big deal about how little space there is. Sure, if you are riding with a bunch of inconsiderate jerks you will be crammed back there - but if people upfront move up just an inch and the second row moves two inches (so net 1 inch) then there is enough space for small to mid sized adults for short to medium trips.
mehran888 (06-01-21)
Old 06-01-21, 12:03 PM
mehran888
Advanced

Originally Posted by CFAI
Side mirror should fold in on 2021. Just press the little toggle to the right on the top of the side mirror controller.
Agree about back seat. In all the reviews they just push the second row as far back as possible and make a big deal about how little space there is. Sure, if you are riding with a bunch of inconsiderate jerks you will be crammed back there - but if people upfront move up just an inch and the second row moves two inches (so net 1 inch) then there is enough space for small to mid sized adults for short to medium trips.
That was easy to find! Thanks for pointing it out. However, I can't seem to figure out a way to have it work when I lock the doors. I've gone through the vehicle settings and can't seem to find something. LMK if you can provide further guidance pls!
Old 06-01-21, 12:26 PM
azfj60
Rookie

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

That was easy to find! Thanks for pointing it out. However, I can't seem to figure out a way to have it work when I lock the doors. I've gone through the vehicle settings and can't seem to find something. LMK if you can provide further guidance pls!
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...g-mirrors.html

Regarding space, I'm 6'4", so I consider every car to be a "one-row" car, no matter how many seats it actually has...
The following 2 users liked this post by azfj60:
CFAI (06-01-21), mehran888 (06-01-21)

Quick Reply: Cross-shopping