GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Cross-shopping

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-12, 06:44 AM
NoLFA4U
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

GX is a off road beast, as well as a great cruiser.

The MDX is more like the RX. Not nearly as capable.

In my opinion the GX will hold value better, simply because there are not as many of them. Look at how well the LX holds its value.

Last edited by NoLFA4U; 07-10-12 at 06:52 AM.
Old 07-19-12, 08:53 PM
MickeyS
Pole Position

I never liked the Acura, and the mdx is way too small and delicate for me. Not my cup of tea. It's kind of too plain and not appealing to me. I guess it's just a matter of taste. My neighbor has one and it doesn't do as good as the GX in the snow.
Old 07-21-12, 06:52 AM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

mdx and RX are in same category, not the GX.

cant understand why people still compare mdx. the gx is in its own category
Old 08-25-12, 02:41 PM
kroorda
Pit Crew

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

There's no comparison on the two vehicles. The GX is a true, off-road-capable vehicle and combines a fantastic ride with a very rugged and capable vehicle. The MDX is okay on a smooth dirt road.
Old 08-26-12, 10:59 AM
data2009
Pole Position

After having RX for 3 years, I got MDX. MDX and RX are NOT in the same category, although the only thing GX and MDX have in common is 7-seater capacity. True, GX being a souped up 4Runner, is capable off-road, but please lay off the pipe when you compare it's highway abilities to MDX. Compare GX to LR3 or Denali...

I borrowed my friend's GX for couple of hours before getting MDX, and although I was surprised it handled corners well, on the highway it drove like it's built - a rugged SUV. OK, sorry, like a Lexus SUV, with isolated and cushy ride. I would not take this thing faster than 80. At 65, started to fill vibration in a wheel. I had to slow down on the curves, although brakes worked well for it's size.

But... it being GX forum, enjoy your rides.

Last edited by data2009; 08-28-12 at 04:17 PM.
Old 08-27-12, 05:49 AM
frank69m
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by data2009
But... it being GX forum, enjoy your rides. Just keep to the middle lane when MDX is passing, please.
Which is fine. Each vehicle has its own purpose and that is why you get it if you are going to be going to do some minor off-roading or want better quality materials.

I've always thought the MDX is way too common cause everyone had one and odd-ball space-y looking.

Oh, and the MDX should hang on the far right lane when my Porsche Cayenne blows past its way too
Old 08-27-12, 10:00 AM
data2009
Pole Position

Originally Posted by frank69m
Oh, and the MDX should hang on the far right lane when my Porsche Cayenne blows past its way too
If you own both Cayenne (I hope at least S) and GX, I know you not taking GX on the highways...
I also know which one spends more quality time at the dealer.
Old 08-27-12, 05:29 PM
frank69m
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you own both Cayenne (I hope at least S) and GX, I know you not taking GX on the highways...
I also know which one spends more quality time at the dealer.
No problems yet. And I did blow by some MDXs on the road.

You think people buy a boring Toyota and Honda for its performance vs. a BMW/Mercedes/Porsche? If I wanted a boring reliable car, I'd buy a corolla.

Although, I've had Honda before and rotors warp every 15k. Probably the same eventually when your MDX gets to 50k. And my Toyota had head gasket issues at 100k. Go figure. And by the way, I don't think your MDX is much faster than a GX. Both are boats and goats.

And if Acura is offering .9% for 60 months: http://www.acura.com/tools/shopping/...aspx?model=MDX

you know its either: 1)They've made too many of them (you see one in every driveway here in California) because it is a cookie-cutter car like the RX and every John Smith has one or 2) They can't sell them and they want to give them away for practically free money. You don't see the GX or Cayenne with those finance rates.

Last edited by frank69m; 08-27-12 at 05:38 PM.
Old 08-27-12, 05:47 PM
T4Fun
Racer

fyi, honda doesnt know how to make trannys for one. good luck with your acuras/hondas. the older ones from the 90's are much better imho, forget it now. no comparison to lexus.
Old 08-28-12, 10:01 AM
data2009
Pole Position

No problems yet.
I assume it's a new ride. Planning to keep it for long? You may get a winning streak, but it's just statistics with BMW/Mercedes/Audi having reliability issues (electric mainly) after 3-4 years.

And I did blow by some MDXs on the road.
Left line comment obviously struck a nerve, hehe. Last weekend I passed R8 and Aventador. So we both like to drive fast.

You think people buy a boring Toyota and Honda for its performance vs. a BMW/Mercedes/Porsche? If I wanted a boring reliable car, I'd buy a corolla.
It's a matter of preference. Some like to drive the same car for 10 years, some get bored after 2 years. Some value performance the most, some - luxury, some - status, some - reliability, and some - all in one.

And by the way, I don't think your MDX is much faster than a GX. Both are boats and goats.
This is GX forum, btw.
I did not say MDX is much faster. We talking about 7-seater SUV, not 911. Compared to GX, MDX's ride is more stable at highway speeds. No shaking. No vibrations.

And if Acura is offering .9% for 60 months: http://www.acura.com/tools/shopping/...aspx?model=MDX

you know its either: 1)They've made too many of them (you see one in every driveway here in California) because it is a cookie-cutter car like the RX and every John Smith has one or 2) They can't sell them and they want to give them away for practically free money. You don't see the GX or Cayenne with those finance rates.
Acura offering deep discounts because next gen is coming. MDX is it's top seller. Just like RX - for Toyota/Lexus. Porsche (or rather VW now) sells a lot less Cayennes by comparison, as there are other more appealing and practical alternatives in SUV market. Porsche should have stuck to sports cars, but it was pushed by VW wanting to expand on Touareg.

Back to GX. Demand for a rugged, truck-based architecture is rather small in US, and is getting smaller. I'm not going to be surprised if next generation will be a crossover, with a hybrid power-train.

Last edited by data2009; 08-28-12 at 04:19 PM.
Old 08-28-12, 10:20 AM
data2009
Pole Position

Originally Posted by T4Fun
fyi, honda doesnt know how to make trannys for one. good luck with your acuras/hondas. the older ones from the 90's are much better imho, forget it now. no comparison to lexus.
I had 2 MDXs for 4 years each before, and after 3 years replaced '10 RX last month with another. I had plenty of time to compare. Like I said in a first reply, lay off the pipe.

Last edited by data2009; 08-28-12 at 10:49 AM.
Old 08-28-12, 11:14 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 283 Likes on 201 Posts

I like the MDX and its SH-AWD is supposed to be the most advanced AWD system out there. I test drove one before our previous GX and it did drive better or more car-like on the highway which is to be expected since it is on a minvan platform. It is a great everyday SUV, I just don't like the looks of it and the interior feels a little cheap to me. Since it is a high volume seller you can get them for invoice or less than invoice pretty easy so they are a bargain.
Old 08-28-12, 05:49 PM
T4Fun
Racer

I had 2 MDXs for 4 years each before, and after 3 years replaced '10 RX last month with another. I had plenty of time to compare. Like I said in a first reply, lay off the pipe.
I think u need a chill pill dude. Go to mdx forum please!
Old 08-28-12, 06:45 PM
data2009
Pole Position

Originally Posted by T4Fun
I think u need a chill pill dude. Go to mdx forum please!
Haha, but of course! Did not expect the least from the jaded forum.
Old 08-28-12, 07:13 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 283 Likes on 201 Posts

Not sure if I would call it jaded, you just can't compare a tier 1 brand with a tier 2 brand.

Quick Reply: Cross-shopping