GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Cross-shopping

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-22, 02:35 PM
CFAI
Instructor

Received 326 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by rdfish1
funny you say get the armada. I was just coming back to this thread to say I just left the dealership. I really like the gx and they seem willing to deal at some amount below msrp, but I’m worried it is too small vs what I’m used to and what I like. Tough call bc I like Lexus, but…

interestingly, on the armada, I did a 500 mile search and located 9 4wd vehicles. Same search for the gx delivers about 97 units. Nissans problem seems worse so getting one, if that’s the direction I go, will be a problem.
I love the GX -and for me it is prob even bigger than we really need, but it is narrow (which I like) so if you needed/wanted something properly big, better off elsewhere.
Old 03-24-22, 03:54 PM
brutus27
Driver

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by tecman
If considering the Armada then why not the Infiniti QX80? I really do not see many Armadas around but quite a few QX80s. Not sure of price and feature differences between the 2 along with reliability.
Having owned 2 Nissan products (Infiniti G35 and Nissan 350Z) I would personally avoid Armadas and QX’s. I was not impressed with built quality and reliability. YMMV
Old 03-25-22, 03:07 AM
nuclearn8
Instructor

Received 609 Likes on 368 Posts

I’m presently (seriously) considering the 2023 sequoia when available. Looove our GX but if we can get into a brand new Sequoia that has everything the GX has (except kdss) for the same or less monthly payment with our trade in, we’ll likely do it.

LC300/Tundra/LX600 underpinnings and drivetrain is appealing. Wireless CarPlay is appealing, more interior space with kids is appealing, it just needs to fit in the garage is my biggest concern.
Of course will need to drive one to make sure it’s not a slug in handling department. We don’t want a lumbering SUV and the GX with kdss allows us to drive the GX like we would a car pretty much.

We’ll see… the GX will be difficult to part with though especially since it’s almost paid off. Was offered 42k on trade for it though so might not be that difficult… haha
The following users liked this post:
brutus27 (03-25-22)
Old 03-25-22, 03:42 PM
ASE
Pole Position

Received 1,033 Likes on 690 Posts

Originally Posted by brutus27
Having owned 2 Nissan products (Infiniti G35 and Nissan 350Z) I would personally avoid Armadas and QX’s. I was not impressed with built quality and reliability. YMMV
Quality, Reliability and Repair Data all support your described experience.
brutus27 (03-25-22)
Old 03-25-22, 03:43 PM
rlx02
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Skillet64
Wife & I drove a new MDX but hated the touchpad interface.
Glad the updated GX came along, she loves her GX!
We had an rdx and initially considered the mdx because of its tech and styling. When I went to test drive it, it fell pretty short. It sells itself on being a drivers car but felt nothing better than your average CUV. It wasn’t bad at anything, but didn’t excel at anything. While the GX has some downsides (barn door the wrong way, no lane change signal, no wireless charger/Apple car play) it really excels at the ride quality, comfort and reliability.

We also test drove the grand Cherokee L. The summit trim felt very nice, just as nice as a MB in some regards but the styling felt like a minivan and drove like one too.

Old 03-25-22, 03:52 PM
rdfish1
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ASE
Quality, Reliability and Repair Data all support your described experience.
for the record, this is not consistent with owners experiences with the armada. I don’t see any other Nissan products I would be comfortable with but the armada platform, it is well tested and proven. Has many dated components like the Lexus and the things people complain about but those are the things people also love about both of them due to reliability.

Last edited by rdfish1; 03-25-22 at 09:12 PM.
Old 03-26-22, 01:18 AM
nuclearn8
Instructor

Received 609 Likes on 368 Posts

Originally Posted by rdfish1
for the record, this is not consistent with owners experiences with the armada. I don’t see any other Nissan products I would be comfortable with but the armada platform, it is well tested and proven. Has many dated components like the Lexus and the things people complain about but those are the things people also love about both of them due to reliability.
Nissan patrol (armada) in Middle East is pretty well respected platform, much like LC…
mwike (03-26-22)
Old 03-26-22, 06:21 PM
jdam
Driver

Received 80 Likes on 29 Posts

Vehicles considered:
  • Porsche Macan
  • Porsche Cayenne
  • Ford Raptor (2nd gen)
  • Toyota 4Runner
  • Toyota Tacoma
The Macan's PDK and driving dynamics is really hard to beat. The thing may only have 240hp in base form but it drives like it has 50 more hp. Raptors, 4Runners and Tacomas were going for stupid money for what they were, and the Cayenne was just a bit... normal compared to the others. I was coming from a track car I'd modified over the years and just wanted something different and something to go camping with.

The GX won as it was the best combination of size, off road capability and reliability. Outside of the 4Runner or Land Cruiser 200 (which is also going for stupid money), there really wasn't anything that had that combination of qualities.
brutus27 (03-26-22)
Old 03-26-22, 06:44 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,656 Likes on 2,394 Posts

Back in day (early '17) I was just looking at replacing a humble '96 Explorer 5.0L AWD I had purchased new. One my nephews still drives it today.

I entertained the following:

- 4th Gen 4R V8
- GX 470
- '11 QX 56 (First year of Patrol version made in Japan)
- Old Ford Excursion

460 quickly ended up being what would satisfy the need... I never really looked at any LC 100 or less as they didn't have towing capabilities over the GX 460 and I wasn't in the market for a 200 series.
rdfish1 (03-27-22)
Old 03-27-22, 05:50 AM
rdfish1
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by nuclearn8
Nissan patrol (armada) in Middle East is pretty well respected platform, much like LC…
exactly right
Old 03-28-22, 05:47 AM
Seanzky
Intermediate

Received 207 Likes on 115 Posts

I looked at the new Tundra and wanted to wait for the TRD Pro this spring. At some point, I might get a used older model instead or once the issues have been worked out in the next model year and/or the ridiculous mark ups calm down, I might get it then.
Old 03-28-22, 06:13 AM
tntcandy
Intermediate

Received 260 Likes on 145 Posts

We looked at the these
  • GLS
  • 4Runner
  • Land Cruiser
  • LX
Wanted a Land Cruiser but pricing went crazy, but also I've always wanted a Prado since I worked in Japan, in the end the GX won as we got little over 9% off msrp on a brand new 2021 (Sep 2021 sale even), so it became a no brainier
brutus27 (03-28-22)
Old 03-28-22, 09:08 AM
Vlad6525
Pit Crew

Received 123 Likes on 74 Posts

I was coming off from 08 GX470, which I had for close to 12yrs and was debating between new all-options-checked RX F-Sport, GX Luxury or Certified LX...decided to go with GX luxury because it offered more of what I was used to (some light off-roading with occasional 3rd row use) and without breaking my bank (LX)... I really didn't consider any other brands seriously even though I was tempted by QX80 space and X5 handling and even considered a slightly used X7, but reliability of a Lexus took over all those temptations...
brutus27 (03-28-22)
Old 03-28-22, 09:52 AM
IStoGX
5th Gear

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I've been combing over builds of 4Runner's, Sequoia's, as well as a Kia Telluride and Hyundai Palisade. I went to the Kia/ Hyundai dealer and they told me markup was $8k which brings the out the door price to $66k - for a Kia! I love the look of the Telluride on the outside and want to have the 3 row capacity for the future family hauling. It's just too much for me for a Kia.

I've also been looking at the GX460's because I love that it has a super reliable V8. I definitely don't want the outgoing Sequoia and want to see the new ones, but I think that they're just a bit too big for my taste. I also haven't really had a chance to take a look at the 4Runners in person. I like the look of the TRD's but I want the 3rd row seating, and from what I understand they don't come together.

Decided to put a deposit down on the GX this past week.
The following 2 users liked this post by IStoGX:
brutus27 (03-28-22), Vlad6525 (03-29-22)
Old 06-05-22, 10:23 AM
ASE
Pole Position

Received 1,033 Likes on 690 Posts
Default New Shiny Object Excitement ...

So I have to admit ... the new (full size) Ford Bronco checks a lot of boxes ... with a sophisticated retro design that was only rivaled (depending on taste) by the FJ Cruiser. So for those that complain that the GX460 platform is "long-in-the-tooth" ...

Those Ford Bronco "early adopters" now have reason to gush over the latest "cabin tech" ... while sitting on the side of the road. The NHTSA is investigating "catastrophic engine failures". Go onto the Bronco6G Forum and there are over 50 posts claiming the same ... the majority with less than 4,000 miles on the clock ... engines that "drop a valve" and grenade the engine.

So be careful what you wish for ... and beware of any first year major release no matter the manufacturer ...

https://www.thedrive.com/news/low-mi...-investigation

Quick Reply: Cross-shopping