GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Cross-shopping

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-13, 01:58 PM
Quadro
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

GX kind of looks bigger from the outside than available space from the inside... The frame eats a lot of it.
Old 07-22-13, 07:39 AM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

We finally went and test drove the GX yesterday and my wife found it a little underwhelming. During the drive she asked the sales person one of the last questions I'd expect her to ask and her response was even more unexpected. She asked "so what is 0-60 in this this?", to which the sales person's response was along the lines of "under 10", she responded with "minutes?" She liked the fact that it's a Lexus and would be the safest choice of the cars we're considering, however, the driving experience was disappointing for her. One of her concerns was whether or not she'd have the ability to pass people easily when needed without having to floor the gas pedal.

Was it just me, or is the nav screen on the GX a lower resolution than the other newer Lexus vehicles? The resolution looked reminiscent to the screens I saw in a Camry a while back.

Anyway, after driving the GX we made perhaps the biggest "mistake" - we drove a Cayenne diesel. That thing is a completely different animal. The torque is on demand and it just wants to behave like a sports car; albeit a heavy one. The sales person had us turn on "Sport" mode and take some corners are high speeds and the vehicle just felt really, really stable. The wife fell in love with it almost as soon as she pushed the gas pedal.

So, what does this mean for what we're going to purchase? Not a whole lot - yet. She's still torn between buying a car she'd love to drive and a car that may be more practical. If she ultimately decides a third row of seats is not needed, we're buying the Cayenne. This is the part she'll need to figure out, well this and perhaps the 1000 different configurations you can come up with when building a Porsche!

Last edited by 92 SC400; 07-22-13 at 10:46 AM.
Old 07-22-13, 10:32 AM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The GX seems to me to be the most underrated vehicle in the Lexus lineup.

It is the best representation of "tough luxury", which began with the Land Cruisers of the 80s, and nobody does "tough luxury" like Lexus/Toyota.

I've been thinking about getting an IS/GS, but I've come around to taking a closer look at the GX. Nobody builds them like this anymore except for Lexus. Old-school principles with a huge load of refinement. A dying breed, sadly. Sales numbers this year are way off. I will give the rumored 2014 refresh strong consideration.
Old 07-22-13, 10:39 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 285 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by 92 SC400
We finally went and test drove the GX yesterday and my wife found it a little underwhelming. During the drive she asked the sales person one of the last questions I'd expect her to ask and he response was even more unexpected. She asked "so what is 0-60 in this this?", to which the sales person's response was along the lines of "under 10", she responded with "minutes?" She liked the fact that it's a Lexus and would be the safest choice of the cars we're considering, however, the driving experience was disappointing for her. One of her concerns was whether or not she'd have the ability to pass people easily when needed without having to floor the gas pedal.

Was is just me, or is the nav screen on the GX a lower resolution than the other new cars? The resolution looked reminiscent to the screens I saw in a Camry a while back.

Anyway, after driving the GX we made perhaps the biggest "mistake" - we drove a Cayenne diesel. That thing is a completely different animal. The torque is on demand and it just wants to behave like a sports car; albeit a heavy one. The sales person had us turn on "Sport" mode and take some corners are high speeds and the vehicle just felt really, really stable. The wife fell in love with it almost as soon as she pushed the gas pedal.

So, what does this mean for what we're going to purchase? Not a whole lot - yet. She's still torn between buying a car she'd love to drive and a car that may be more practical. If she ultimately decides a third row of seats is not needed, we're buying the Cayenne. This is the part she'll need to figure out, well this and perhaps the 1000 different configurations you can come up with when building a Porsche!
Makes sense to me since they are completely different SUVs. One drives like a truck, the other like a big sportscar. It doesn't surprise me that she likes the Cayenne. What surprises me is that for some reason my wife likes the truck-like drive. If I didn't want/need a rugged SUV and lived in the southern part of the U.S. I know which one I would get.

One of our requirements was always third row seating, especially as our kids get older, but we seem to have only used the third row in the past six years about five times tops. You really need to figure out if that is important.
Old 07-22-13, 10:54 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Apples and oranges!

BTW - The GX runs 0 to 60 in the 7s and the quarter in the high 16s to 17. These numbers are very respectable for a 5300 lbs real truck.

Koz
Old 07-22-13, 11:18 AM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

I think the idea of having the third row is nice for her, but it will probably be seldom used - kind of as you have experienced. Right now, we don't have kids - none on the way either - so a third row would probably see little to no use for at least a few years.

We live in a very mild climate (Northen CA) so in many ways the offload capabilities of the GX are overkill for us. We may make the occasional trip to the snow, but no offloading or anything.

If only the Q7 weren't ugly...!
Old 07-22-13, 07:48 PM
frank69m
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We finally went and test drove the GX yesterday and my wife found it a little underwhelming. During the drive she asked the sales person one of the last questions I'd expect her to ask and her response was even more unexpected. She asked "so what is 0-60 in this this?", to which the sales person's response was along the lines of "under 10", she responded with "minutes?" She liked the fact that it's a Lexus and would be the safest choice of the cars we're considering, however, the driving experience was disappointing for her. One of her concerns was whether or not she'd have the ability to pass people easily when needed without having to floor the gas pedal.

Was it just me, or is the nav screen on the GX a lower resolution than the other newer Lexus vehicles? The resolution looked reminiscent to the screens I saw in a Camry a while back.

As a person with both a GX and a Cayenne (S for that matter). I can tell you about both. The problem with the Cayenne is that contrary to what some may think, it does feel big. It's wider and longer than the GX. Although the GX is taller. The Cayenne is basically a big fat sports car and you'll get both the acceleration and handling to go along with it. The thing I don't like about the Cayenne is, cost to keep up (wait for your first $400 oil change. Diesel might be more), and overall long term reliability. I plan to use my GX for travelling and I don't feel like getting stuck on the 10 freeway on my way to Utah and no one in the area knows what a German car is like. Also, the trunk. It isn't as big as you may think.
Old 07-22-13, 08:18 PM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by frank69m
As a person with both a GX and a Cayenne (S for that matter). I can tell you about both. The problem with the Cayenne is that contrary to what some may think, it does feel big. It's wider and longer than the GX. Although the GX is taller. The Cayenne is basically a big fat sports car and you'll get both the acceleration and handling to go along with it. The thing I don't like about the Cayenne is, cost to keep up (wait for your first $400 oil change. Diesel might be more), and overall long term reliability. I plan to use my GX for travelling and I don't feel like getting stuck on the 10 freeway on my way to Utah and no one in the area knows what a German car is like. Also, the trunk. It isn't as big as you may think.
Thanks for the feedback. I noticed that the Cayenne is about 2" longer IIRC but significantly wider and you're right about the trunk - its not that large. With that said, the GX's trunk isn't a ton bigger and with the third row up it's non-existent. I'm not concerned with oil changes since I will probably "DIY" unless they are unusually difficult, however, I'd probably need to the dealer do my AdBlue refills and major services.

What generation is your S and have you had any of the "major" services performed?
Old 07-23-13, 08:49 PM
frank69m
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the feedback. I noticed that the Cayenne is about 2" longer IIRC but significantly wider and you're right about the trunk - its not that large. With that said, the GX's trunk isn't a ton bigger and with the third row up it's non-existent. I'm not concerned with oil changes since I will probably "DIY" unless they are unusually difficult, however, I'd probably need to the dealer do my AdBlue refills and major services.

What generation is your S and have you had any of the "major" services performed?

2nd gen and I just got the first service.
Old 07-25-13, 08:16 PM
gxgrappler
Driver School Candidate

I'm appreciating this thread, since we may be in a fleet reconfiguration mode. My wife needs an everyday practical car that will be reliable and go in the snow, but the rub is that she thinks the GX handling/steering is not tight enough, and that the suspension is too soft. We have a 2010, but its been my daily driver, while she used the FJ (now in the hands of son 2) or her impractical but nice looking CLK cabriolet.

Reading this thread makes me feel like my own thoughts are on point with most everyone else. I'm a Lexus/Toyota fan, primarily from a reliability standpoint, but also the off-road capability translating to foul weather capability seems to be a winner to me.

I have noticed that the GL 450 has an available option of an offroad package that adds an adustable height suspension, and I think a locking rear differential. But I don't know of anyone who's owned one like that.

The deal is that if my wife finds something that she likes to replace the GX, (has to be big enough to survive a long trip with luggage, etc), then I may buy myself a truck (Tundra or Taco, maybe). Its possible she could go for the 4runner, but I'm not sure that I'd expect handling to be any different from the GX at all. I guess we'll see, but I have to say that most of the comments about the lack of reliabilyt on German brands, and RR, ring true to what I hear from others. I did go look at the MDX briefly, and the salesman said he thought the 2014s had softer handling than last years, which would be a negative for her.
Old 07-26-13, 12:21 AM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

^^^ Don't make the same mistake I made and let your wife drive the Cayenne...
Old 01-12-15, 06:15 PM
pamiboy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cross Shopping GX

I know they are in a bit different class, but has anyone who owns a GX cross shopped with Acura MDX. Given that both are seven seaters. Opinions about other seven seaters such as Q7 are also welcome. Thanks in advance.
Old 01-13-15, 11:45 AM
redbrick
Rookie

I actually did look into the RX before, but the cost for this type of vehicle as you've alluded to just didn't make sense....but they do make sense to A LOT of folks. I knew a few folks who owned Acura's and for some reason they always had transmission problems...so I stayed away. German cars while pretty are...poop poop.
Old 06-28-18, 06:34 PM
Peter956
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GX460 vs. QX80

Hi folks, have your guys had a comparison between GX460 and Infiniti QX80? QX80 apparently looks bigger and more luxury, but less fuel economy, and less resell value. how about performance and reliability?? Any idea??
Old 06-28-18, 06:55 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by Peter956
Hi folks, have your guys had a comparison between GX460 and Infiniti QX80? QX80 apparently looks bigger and more luxury, but less fuel economy, and less resell value. how about performance and reliability?? Any idea??
You nailed it on the head. The refresh makes things soo much better on the eyes on the QX80. Inside its a laz boy on wheels, with tons of safety tech unavilable on the GX. Similar last decade tech on both vehicles, but the interior appointments can get really nice with the QX. However, imo the biggeest problem with the QX is its a nissan product. They just dont inspire confidence. Its not BMW bad, but not Toyota great.

Quick Reply: Cross-shopping