GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Cross-shopping

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-18, 06:32 PM
slingshot4
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Currently Shopping

My wife and I are looking for a larger SUV that can better accommodate our family ( 5 and 2 y/o). We each bought new vehicles 11 years ago and are about to hit 150K on them (2007 TSX, 2008 Xterra). Both still run great and we plan to keep, but want to add a nice SUV for the family into the fold. My wife loves her Xterra and how it drives more like a true SUV/truck than the crossover style SUVs that use finds to drive more like cars or mini vans.

Neither of us have owned or leased a Lexus before, but we both like the looks and drive of the GX. What would you all consider direct competitors to the GX in the industry? We are likely to test drive XC90 and 4Runner as well. What are the pros and cons (try to be objective for me of the Lexus with respect to their competition? Any time I search for best luxury SUVs or setting criteria for 3 rows the GX never seems to make the cut. Usually using X5, XC90, Q7, the large Infiniti model, Acura MDX.

Also, when is it anticipated that GX will have a full remodel into gen 3?

I appreciate any and all feedback!
Old 11-11-18, 07:23 PM
robert1408
Intermediate

Received 36 Likes on 19 Posts

The 4Runner is the closest competitor to a GX 460. If you're looking at Volvo, BMW or Audi, they are assured to have massive depreciation and eye-watering repair bills. The depreciation won't matter much if you keep them long enough, but you're still left with the big repair bills. If you're not set on a true 3 row, a 4Runner or a GX are surprisingly cheap to own due to very low depreciation and repair bills. Even an 11 year old one of these is still worth a surprising amount of money. Almost nobody wants an 11 year old Volvo, BMW or Audi, at any price. If you need a true 3 row, a Toyota Highlander or a Sequoia are worth a look.
Old 11-11-18, 07:26 PM
hzhao
Racer

Received 982 Likes on 568 Posts

If you like the true SUV feeling, then GX beats all of the ones that you have on your list (except 4 Runner, which is essentially the same as GX under Toyota brand will different engines). GX is the Lexus version of Toyota LC Prada, which has been the best SUV sold around world, with second to none quality and reliability compare anyone in the same class. It also holds the best resell value as well. As for the next generation, other than speculation well into 2020 or later, there is no official information for major changes anytime soon.

I have owned X5 before and driven XC90 for about a year and half. X5 is pretty much a tall BMW 5 series performance car, with much smaller interior. It actually smaller than 5 series wagon. XC90 with super charged and turbo charged 4 cylinders does make a very impressive output consider XC90 is a big and heavy vehicle, but long term reliability and cost of maintenance are very questionable to me. I have own Audi before too, just like most of German vehicles, there is lots of cutting edge technologies been incorporated, but there is always the little things that keep the maintenance cost up through the roof.

In contrast, I have owned Lexus ES, GS, RX, 1st Gen. GX, and currently owned 2nd Gen. GX and 3rd Gen. LX. All have been trouble free though out the life time. With your list of choices, I will pick GX without any question. I might be a little bit biases on Lexus. But I am sure everyone on this forum do too
The following 2 users liked this post by hzhao:
Acrad (11-12-18), sweetboy02 (11-12-18)
Old 11-11-18, 09:50 PM
Dallasguy1
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 51 Posts

As stated above I have owned most of the line up IS,ES (currently own),RX,LS, GS,1st gen GX, 2012 GX and just picked up 2017 GX. All of these have been trouble free as I crossed 100k on all of them. When it comes to reliability and maintenance no one can beat Lexus or let's just say Toyota. I have kept Audi and BMW in the past also and they have their own feel and drive. I don't think u can compare a GX with a X5.
The following users liked this post:
Acrad (11-12-18)
Old 11-12-18, 08:45 AM
Zayn
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by slingshot4
My wife and I are looking for a larger SUV that can better accommodate our family ( 5 and 2 y/o). We each bought new vehicles 11 years ago and are about to hit 150K on them (2007 TSX, 2008 Xterra). Both still run great and we plan to keep, but want to add a nice SUV for the family into the fold. My wife loves her Xterra and how it drives more like a true SUV/truck than the crossover style SUVs that use finds to drive more like cars or mini vans.

Neither of us have owned or leased a Lexus before, but we both like the looks and drive of the GX. What would you all consider direct competitors to the GX in the industry? We are likely to test drive XC90 and 4Runner as well. What are the pros and cons (try to be objective for me of the Lexus with respect to their competition? Any time I search for best luxury SUVs or setting criteria for 3 rows the GX never seems to make the cut. Usually using X5, XC90, Q7, the large Infiniti model, Acura MDX.

Also, when is it anticipated that GX will have a full remodel into gen 3?

I appreciate any and all feedback!
The GX drives like a full truck due to body on frame vehicle it's materials are much more comfortable than most regular SUV a bit outdated interior design but still has all the modern features I was considering XC90 since it's more luggage space but I didn't proceed to purchase because I don't want to pay 60K + for a V4 engine even though it has a lot of horsepower it won't drive like a V8 plus Toyota is super reliable compare too German automakers. BMW x5 is small from inside compare to the GX. The Gx also can go off road without any hesitation and is more than capable off road gx also holds there value way way more than those other brands. It's an all in one package. Gx might depreciate too you in luxury in a couple of years but it will be a valueable asset to someone looking for an off-roader in the used car market at a great price

Last edited by Zayn; 11-12-18 at 09:01 AM.
Old 11-12-18, 10:43 AM
MadamGX
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I’m on my second GX and I test drove the XC and a 4Runner prior to purchasing my 460. If you’ve never had a GX, a 4Runner would be comparable to the truck feel and space you’d get if you want that medium-large SUV feel. I drove the 4Runner for one block and took it back to the dealer and said no thanks. I thought I could get used to a V6, nope. Didn’t happen. My 09 GX had more get up and go than a new 4Runner. Prior to my 2009 GX I had a Cayenne Turbo, having power is a must for me.
The XC is nice although it felt smaller and pricey in my opinion for what you’re getting. $55k on a turbo charged four cylinder (T5R) like previous poster mentioned is not what I want to spend my money on. I’d highly recommend a GX. I feel like I’m driving a truck, yet it has a feel of a sedan. I feel safe in it, yet I can likely smoke the car next to me if I need to change lanes quickly
Old 11-12-18, 11:42 AM
WFC7
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I’ve had two GX’s, a 2016 GX460 Luxury Trim, and a 2006 GX 470. I’ve also owned four Land Cruisers (two 80 series and two 100 series), plus a 2017 4Runner Limited (the only 4Runner with push button start, heated/cooled front seats, and a standard third row), a 2018 4Runner Off Road Premium w/ KDSS (standard on GX’s), and now a 2018 Toyota Sequoia Platinum 4x4. I’ve had BMW X5’s too ($4k a year after warranty was out in maintenance), and my mom owned a 2006 Volvo XC90 for 180k miles (fairly reliable, but several nagging maintaince issues). I’d definitely look at a GX460 as they are excellent (try to find a 2018 with the $5k in Lexus Cash; then offer 15% off the MSRP). I think the 4Runner Limited would suit you too. I’d also look at the 2018 Sequoia Platinum. They are marked down $10k off the top right now in most places due to Toyota incentives and dealer discounts. I added front and rear TRD sway bars to mine (Cool Springs Toyota in Nashville has the best deals on them), and it is so roomy for all passengers with a real third row for adults and handles great - as good as an LX or Land Cruiser and $20k cheaper (most of us will never need the benefit or functions of the overbuilt 200 series). That’s my .02.
The following users liked this post:
Acrad (11-12-18)
Old 11-14-18, 05:16 PM
slingshot4
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you all for your feedback. I am eyeing a 2018 premium with sport package and 2nd row captains chairs (MSRP of 59K), How much do you all feel I should be able to get the dealer to come down in OTD price for this?
Old 11-14-18, 06:29 PM
WFC7
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by slingshot4
Thank you all for your feedback. I am eyeing a 2018 premium with sport package and 2nd row captains chairs (MSRP of 59K), How much do you all feel I should be able to get the dealer to come down in OTD price for this?
I’ve been looking and receiving quotes the last two weeks from Lexus dealers within 300 miles of Nashville, TN. I’ve targeted 2018 GX460 Luxury models. Found a few, yet many have the second row captains chairs which I’m beginning to believe are problematic as the third row is all but unusable save for 5-10 year olds. I understand car seats don’t fit well in the third row either. Anyway, I’ve noticed dealers are willing to give bigger discounts on ‘18 GX460’s with second row captains chairs. I’d say you can expect to get one for $47-48k (with the $5k Lexus Cash) at this point as inventory is low now and most dealers aren’t willing to come much further off than that.

Last edited by WFC7; 11-14-18 at 08:07 PM.
Old 09-28-19, 06:50 PM
MichaelLG
Driver School Candidate

Default She desires the INFINITY

We are having discussions regarding the RX 570. She calls it the box look. and did not like ride on one of them One rode hard other a good ride. Rough one was Bridgestone. Could that be a deal breaker? Both had around 13,000 miles. Last two Auto's we have driven were ES 350. We had a desire for something largeramd easier to get into. After driving the RX I wasn't impressed. Wanted a bit more space and different ride. She likes the INFINITY I'm not a fan. Did I read transmission issue on it?

Do you have a suggestion or one to run from, I am not sold on the RX or smaller Combo. Back troubles are creating a desire to move into something easier to ride and get into.
Thank you for assisting in an idea, different tires.
Michael
Old 09-28-19, 07:58 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

I`m confused as to what vehicle your trying to look for, since none of the model or marques exist? This is the Lexus GX460 forums just for reference
Old 09-28-19, 08:13 PM
GoHuskers
Racer

Received 165 Likes on 112 Posts

What are you trying to compare? LX570 vs. Infiniti QX80?
Old 09-28-19, 09:43 PM
MichaelLG
Driver School Candidate

Cool
thank you for keeping track of me on a long day. Wife and I have been looking and drove a GX Also I drove an INFINITY QX60 she enjoyed I was not as happy.

We looked at smaller Lexus RX that did not seem to ride as well as GX.
Thanks for allowing me to clarify myself.
Great One,
Michael
Old 09-29-19, 04:08 AM
ObsidianBl
Advanced

Received 195 Likes on 129 Posts

Happy wife, happy life. If it’s her daily, get her what she likes.
The following 2 users liked this post by ObsidianBl:
Hobbes22 (09-30-19), Soap (09-29-19)
Old 09-29-19, 06:52 AM
GoHuskers
Racer

Received 165 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by ObsidianBl
Happy wife, happy life. If it’s her daily, get her what she likes.
Absolutely smart advice.

The QX60 is really OLD, formerly known as JX35 in 2014 era. The reason it rides "nice, smooth" because it has CVT so your wife didn't feel the laziness or jerkiness in shifting as in RX350.

Put your wife in a RX450h and I bet she will change her mind.

Quick Reply: Cross-shopping