GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Cross-shopping

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-20, 03:38 PM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by PhillipT
Atlas would keep the PO in the VAG family... Other than that there is not that many choices for the usable 3d row seat. Pilot/MDX, Highlander, Acsent....might as well accept the inevitable and get a minivan...lot more utility for the same chassis/drivetrain.
We’ve looked at the Ascent but it sounds like CVTs in the earlier MYs were problematic so I’m not sure I want to go that route. We looked at the Highlander briefly and it’s not bad, but in that crossover segment we liked the Palisade more.

The Palisade is probably the only other option we’re really considering but supply is limited and some dealers are marking them up and I unwilling to pay markup on any vehicle. Heck, I won’t even pay MSRP for that matter.

If we went the minivan route I’d probably be in the market for a new wife not long after; and, driving a minivan might make finding a new wife more challenging so I don’t see that happening...
Old 03-05-20, 03:43 PM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by TRD_Power
Though I do enjoy driving my wife's Cayenne S for the performance, that thing has been nothing but headaches since the extended warranty ended about a year ago. Be happy you're moving on before it's too late Whenever I turn the key, I basically say a little prayer in my head, asking it to turn on without a new warning light or clunking noise. So far we've had to replace the transfer case at around 40k, the rear hatch motor/module, a couple faulty brake sensors, and now the thing keeps throwing a fan error where it kicks the cooling fans up and sounds like I'm driving an F-18 when I go through a parking garage. The Bose amp is starting to cut out now as well, and it burns a ton of oil (which is said to be normal in the owner's manual). Always maintained by Porsche, and always right on time too. Her '05 Cayenne was far worse, however. We're currently looking at the 2020 GX to replace my GS460 (need an SUV for future kiddos, Houston flooding, and the awful road quality down here), and an LX570 to replace her Cayenne. Though I'm antsy, I'm probably going to wait for 2022 to pick up the GX, that way I can take advantage of the depreciation. As others have said, don't bother with a CPO from Lexus... With all the markups and nonsense, you're better off just buying new.

Maybe this will help some. Definitely take the numbers with a grain of salt, but it seems fairly accurate from the searching I've done:
https://usedfirst.com/cars/lexus/gx-460/
That site is interesting and yeah, I’d agree, pricing looks in line with what I’ve been seeing. I’m also not seeing a real big difference in CPO vs non-CPO dealer pricing. There’s a fair amount of CPO ‘17s with 30-30k miles for $36-38k.
Old 03-05-20, 05:02 PM
nebrou
Pole Position

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by 92 SC400
You mean the GX won’t get ~26 MPG with mixed driving?!?! We’ve accepted the fact that we won’t be able to get the same sort of MPG out of whatever our next SUV is.

My wife liked the Atlas when we first saw one but has since grown to not like it - at all.
Trust me. It is easier said than done. I have been in the same situation as yours where I had e70 X5 diesel and i miss it dearly especially 500 miles on tank i got on mixed driving. Unfortunately it got totalled and started shopping for another SUV and landed on the Gx after all comparisions I made and trying to make sense that is the right approach. There are things that cannot be measured which is driving pleasure.

Gx is not for everyone. If you Are used to german luxury brand, it is hard to get out of it and jump in to outdated Japanese brand
Old 03-06-20, 06:49 AM
TRD_Power
Lead Lap

Received 78 Likes on 66 Posts

That site is interesting and yeah, I’d agree, pricing looks in line with what I’ve been seeing. I’m also not seeing a real big difference in CPO vs non-CPO dealer pricing. There’s a fair amount of CPO ‘17s with 30-30k miles for $36-38k.
If the CPO and non-CPO are close enough in price, you might as well pick up a CPO and get their warranty with it. As others have said on this forum time and time again, it's not the best warranty, but it beats not having one at all. As much as I miss having the extended warranty on the Cayenne, there was no way I was going to pay close to $7,000 for 2 more years... Sort of a blessing in disguise though, because now I know how to do most of the maintenance on the thing. Still surprised at how much cheap, brittle plastic there is under the hood of a car that's over $70k new.
Old 03-06-20, 06:56 AM
PhillipT
Driver School Candidate

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

If we went the minivan route I’d probably be in the market for a new wife not long after; and, driving a minivan might make finding a new wife more challenging so I don’t see that happening...
Wait for the third kid to arrive and then observe your wife transforming into the biggest minivan groupie ever. Ask me how I know....
Old 03-06-20, 07:05 AM
TRD_Power
Lead Lap

Received 78 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by nebrou
Trust me. It is easier said than done. I have been in the same situation as yours where I had e70 X5 diesel and i miss it dearly especially 500 miles on tank i got on mixed driving. Unfortunately it got totalled and started shopping for another SUV and landed on the Gx after all comparisions I made and trying to make sense that is the right approach. There are things that cannot be measured which is driving pleasure.

Gx is not for everyone. If you Are used to german luxury brand, it is hard to get out of it and jump in to outdated Japanese brand
I can say that I went from Japanese luxury, to German luxury, and am back with Japanese luxury for good. The whole German driving experience hype is so inflated, but it's really not much better when you drive the direct competitors... For example, I was looking to buy a nice daily driver, but wanted something sporty, so I drove an E92 M3, an S550 w/AMG trim package, an IS-F, and an S4; the M3 was just a piece of garbage right out the gate, and the steering, braking, etc. really wasn't any better than the IS-F. The S4 was rough, loud, uncomfortable. The S550 was very quiet and nice to drive, but the interior was creaking a lot and it just felt like a pig on wheels. Honestly, I loved the IS-F, and knowing that I could beat on it without having to visit the shop every other month was a huge plus, but it was just a bit small (I'm 6'4"). Ended up with the GS460 because it was cheaper than all of the others, had less gadgetry (which I like), and was the perfect size overall. Definitely didn't get the sporty feel I wanted, but I have no regrets. Part of the beauty of the GX is that it is dated and a proven platform, and the older I get, the less I care about flashy tech. I'm just happy they finally gave it a face-lift. Then again, this is all just my opinion
The following users liked this post:
PhillipT (03-06-20)
Old 03-06-20, 07:07 AM
PhillipT
Driver School Candidate

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by nebrou
I'd postulate that owning a german brand makes this decision quite trivial. I am maintaining and fixing my own cars as a hobby, and even with that significant cost benefit to german car ownership I am disgusted with the trends toward complete cheapening of the once lofty german brands. The simple fact of the matter is that they are no longer designed to last past 8 years/100K miles. And who can blame them? With EVs the writing is on the wall. The old ICE makers will milk the old product for whatever it's worth and as long as they can, but they will not invest into it any longer. I think the golden age of ICE cars has come and gone, with the late 90s,early 00s. Which also makes buying tech that has roots in that era (GX460) an astute decision. Short of that, might just as well skip the 2010s and go strait to EVs.

Last edited by PhillipT; 03-06-20 at 07:15 AM.
Chaos236 (03-19-20)
Old 03-06-20, 05:51 PM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by PhillipT
Wait for the third kid to arrive and then observe your wife transforming into the biggest minivan groupie ever. Ask me how I know....
I've always told my wife that if we have a third that she'll need to pick her favorite two out of the three - choose wisely. I maintain this position until further notice...
Old 03-06-20, 06:01 PM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by TRD_Power
If the CPO and non-CPO are close enough in price, you might as well pick up a CPO and get their warranty with it. As others have said on this forum time and time again, it's not the best warranty, but it beats not having one at all. As much as I miss having the extended warranty on the Cayenne, there was no way I was going to pay close to $7,000 for 2 more years... Sort of a blessing in disguise though, because now I know how to do most of the maintenance on the thing. Still surprised at how much cheap, brittle plastic there is under the hood of a car that's over $70k new.
I got a good deal on pre-paid maintenance when we bought our diesel and it was worth it, IMO. The diesels have 5K OCIs compared to the rest of the Cayennes (maybe the turbo is 5K as well?) as well as AdBlue (DEF) refills and 10K fuel filter replacements. But, that ran out a while ago and I've been doing my own maintenance since then - to your point, I have also been a little surprised at some of the plastics. Hate the oil pan drain plug placement as well...

We got "lucky" in a sense that due to the VW diesel emissions issues, Porsche gave extended warranties on the diesels. Realistically, that hasn't meant much though because it's actually been pretty low maintenance.
Old 03-06-20, 08:11 PM
Material
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

We looked at a GMC Acadia, not bad. Drove a Kia Telluride, very nice, but when the dealer wanted 3 grand over list, which put it at 50 grand, I walked. Volkswagen Atlas was ok, but we didn’t care for the interior. The Subaru Ascent was nice, but I’m not a fan of CVT’s. Ford Explorer didn’t do much for me. At the end of the day, I thought about that my wife has owned 4 Rx’s and we have had no problems. I have drove a truck most of my life and was coming out of a Silverado, so when I drove the GX, it felt more like a truck, which for me is a plus. It also has a V8, which I like, and a low range transfer case and full time four wheel drive, which was a must. I have heard people say it needs to be updated, but for me, I like it just like it is. So far, I’m well pleased with my choice.
The following 3 users liked this post by Material:
csrpenfab (03-06-20), dtaski (03-20-20), nuclearn8 (03-19-20)
Old 03-07-20, 03:08 PM
TstineGX
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We have a 2019 GX and needed another SUV in the family. I was really thinking I wanted the 2020 GX because of the exterior change and the added safety features. I was shopping it against the 2020 4runner TRD PRO and I must say ( don't shoot me) that we decided to add the 4runner TRD PRO to the garage with the 19 GX. The 4runner has a better infotainment (apple car play) and the same safety as the GX. It was really a tough call but I could not see the extra cost for the GX with very little changes to the interior. We are a Lexus or Toyota family so not much to choose from. I will not own anything else. Resale and reliability second to none...
Old 03-07-20, 03:35 PM
Material
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TstineGX
We have a 2019 GX and needed another SUV in the family. I was really thinking I wanted the 2020 GX because of the exterior change and the added safety features. I was shopping it against the 2020 4runner TRD PRO and I must say ( don't shoot me) that we decided to add the 4runner TRD PRO to the garage with the 19 GX. The 4runner has a better infotainment (apple car play) and the same safety as the GX. It was really a tough call but I could not see the extra cost for the GX with very little changes to the interior. We are a Lexus or Toyota family so not much to choose from. I will not own anything else. Resale and reliability second to none...
The 4 Runner is a great vehicle. I have a couple of friends that have had great service from them. I’m sure you will enjoy it.
Old 03-19-20, 10:36 AM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Material
We looked at a GMC Acadia, not bad. Drove a Kia Telluride, very nice, but when the dealer wanted 3 grand over list, which put it at 50 grand, I walked. Volkswagen Atlas was ok, but we didn’t care for the interior. The Subaru Ascent was nice, but I’m not a fan of CVT’s. Ford Explorer didn’t do much for me. At the end of the day, I thought about that my wife has owned 4 Rx’s and we have had no problems. I have drove a truck most of my life and was coming out of a Silverado, so when I drove the GX, it felt more like a truck, which for me is a plus. It also has a V8, which I like, and a low range transfer case and full time four wheel drive, which was a must. I have heard people say it needs to be updated, but for me, I like it just like it is. So far, I’m well pleased with my choice.
I like the Ascent, but also deterred by the CVT after having read about some of the earlier model problems. Seems like it's been fixed but between that and the issues CVT have caused in other vehicles, I'm a little reluctant to go that route. Not exactly a Telluride, but I like the Palisade as well but some dealers were marking them up $5K and that's a non-starter for me... haha

Originally Posted by TstineGX
I actually like the TRD PRO more than the GX (hope I don't get shot either... ) but my wife prefer a little more "luxury" which would make the GX a fair compromise.
Chaos236 (03-19-20)
Old 03-19-20, 10:45 AM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

We checked out some GXs last weekend and after spending some time in a couple, my wife won't go for it (again). So, see y'all in another 6.5-7 years... haha

Although it would realistically end up being mine in a year or so, she'd still be the primary driver in that interim period and she really just doesn't dig the interior. I can't argue that point but I still held out hopes she'd go along with it!

Hopefully if/when the GX gets a real redesign it'll be something to consider again as I like it for what it is - assuming it doesn't become another cross-over! haha
Old 03-19-20, 11:10 AM
nebrou
Pole Position

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

We checked out some GXs last weekend and after spending some time in a couple, my wife won't go for it (again). So, see y'all in another 6.5-7 years... haha

Although it would realistically end up being mine in a year or so, she'd still be the primary driver in that interim period and she really just doesn't dig the interior. I can't argue that point but I still held out hopes she'd go along with it!

Hopefully if/when the GX gets a real redesign it'll be something to consider again as I like it for what it is - assuming it doesn't become another cross-over! haha
hahaha...I expected that to be honest.

What vehicle are you going to consider then?

Quick Reply: Cross-shopping