GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

EGR Delete

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-20, 02:29 PM
ASE
Pole Position

Received 1,033 Likes on 690 Posts

Originally Posted by MiamiGX
My concern stemmed from the video I watched (posted above). My engine is getting up there. I am close to 175,000 miles. I have an engine component that is feeding it back dirty exhaust emissions, simply to keep the cat from burning too hot and to keep the engine from releasing NOx gasses. If removing it will help keep the engine cleaner and run longer then I am willing to do it in the interest on longevity. If the car was newer with less miles I wouldn't care, if it helps the environment then leave it in. But with this many miles I need to look at all the options to extend the life of the engine/vehicle. Its like preventative surgery. If you have a family history of a certain condition and are getting to the age where it comes out. You don't wait for the problems to begin. I am sure at this point if I pull it out that thing has to be caked in build up and possibly close to failure.

If someone had a easy to follow video and I could do it myself I would. But from what I have seen, it's a little more complicated than that. You need to have a plate made and do something with the ecu so you dont trigger an engine code. Some people use a resistor (to trick the ecu?) I might have to get this one done by a pro. But I wanted to hear what the board thought of this first.

From the lack of response however it doesn't seem there is much interest. I have other members telling me I am barking into the night.
So what problem are you actually trying to solve ? ... concern that EGR is "feeding it back dirty exhaust emissions" ? The emissions control systems (plural) are designed to work in combination ... yes, to reduce tailpipe emissions, but designed so all emission control systems function properly in unison.

So if you insist on playing engineer being convinced that exhaust gasses are "dirty" have at it ... but don't be surprised if you create a real problem trying to eliminate one of the emissions systems that you have convinced yourself is reducing the life of your engine ... and increase your NOx emissions in the process (the very reason Diesel engines are being phased out in passenger vehicles).

Beyond the emissions control systems, understand that the EGR system reduces combustion temperatures in the combustion chamber. So when you remove the EGR system, how will the resulting increased combustion temperatures affect the Piston, Rings, Cylinder and Valves from a wear standpoint ? ... Hmmmm

Last edited by ASE; 09-29-20 at 11:51 AM.